Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and he's about the only one who can maybe pull it off.

I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The goofy pirates from Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea were better rappers and I don't remember if they actually rapped or not.

I'm glad someone else remembers this amazing show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtBWrAiWBLc

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I wouldn't call Weird Al a rapper any more than I'd call him an industrial musician or a zydecoiste, but in a sense you're absolutely correct. What Ghost Leviathan said about Eminem having some of the self-awareness and the actual experience to succeed in a niche, and pretty silly, genre of music, absolutely applies to the guy who turned "song parodies" into a decades-long and well-respected career, and became so synonymous with the idea that most of the non-Al song parodies in the Napster era of music downloadin' were attributed to him anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phy posted:

I wouldn't call Weird Al a rapper any more than I'd call him an industrial musician or a zydecoiste, but in a sense you're absolutely correct. What Ghost Leviathan said about Eminem having some of the self-awareness and the actual experience to succeed in a niche, and pretty silly, genre of music, absolutely applies to the guy who turned "song parodies" into a decades-long and well-respected career, and became so synonymous with the idea that most of the non-Al song parodies in the Napster era of music downloadin' were attributed to him anyway.

And of course the Capt Dan fans brought up Weird Al constantly to defend the pirate rapping.

Somehow when their parodies are "Rum and Juice" and have songs like "Chests o' Plenty" but just pirate-y lyrics over generic beats the attempt to match their brand of suck to literally the most renowned music parody artist ever fell pretty flat.

And maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying rap/hip-hip is a niche genre?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

And maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying rap/hip-hip is a niche genre?

Yeah I'm wondering about this as well

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem with white rappers in general and novelty rappers specifically is they take themselves terminally seriously while working with a niche of a niche that requires the exact opposite

I was continuing on from what Ghost Leviathan said, and I meant to say that novelty rap is niche and pretty silly (and I worded it badly to communicate even that, as Eminem falls outside that, and he's put in a lot of work getting taken seriously.) If you're getting from what I said that rap and hiphop are niche overall, then that's on me and I hosed something up bad. That's not what I intended.

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Oct 19, 2020

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Relevant to this, someone just did a recap of the early days of BYOB and the time someone made a BYOB reggae song that no one liked.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943594

Full disclosure: I made it about 45 seconds into the song before I just couldn't handle it anymore

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh god the byob reggae, it's been years since i've even thought of that

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Wow, of all the few things I knew about BYOB Reggae, the fact that it was controversial was not something I was aware of.

You can tell that the posters in that thread lived in a time without the knowledge of how bad cod reggae could get.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SpiritualDeath posted:

Wow, of all the few things I knew about BYOB Reggae, the fact that it was controversial was not something I was aware of.

You can tell that the posters in that thread lived in a time without the knowledge of how bad cod reggae could get.

cod reggae? sounds fishy

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bingo Bango posted:

Relevant to this, someone just did a recap of the early days of BYOB and the time someone made a BYOB reggae song that no one liked.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943594

Full disclosure: I made it about 45 seconds into the song before I just couldn't handle it anymore

well,

the first 15 seconds were listenable at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean more white rappers as a niche and white novelty rappers as the niche of the niche, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also that your average ignorant racist white person's dismissing of rap is usually based on the assumption that rappers are too stupid to be in on the joke. Similar to how death metal bands generally haven't all killed themselves in satanic rituals. Even suburban white kids on some level recognise this.

Also, Weird Al doesn't count because there's nothing he can't do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean more white rappers as a niche and white novelty rappers as the niche of the niche, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also that your average ignorant racist white person's dismissing of rap is usually based on the assumption that rappers are too stupid to be in on the joke. Similar to how death metal bands generally haven't all killed themselves in satanic rituals. Even suburban white kids on some level recognise this.

Also, Weird Al doesn't count because there's nothing he can't do.

White rappers succeed at being white rappers and not trying to act black. Eminem, Atmosphere, The Streets all did very well at what they tried because they weren't trying to parody something or copy a style that wasn't their own.

Capt Dan missed the boat entirely because they just put on an accent and costumes and then tried to rap in a similar style to existing black artists. Even dedicated nerdcore rappers that run with a theme do a better job rather then just coming up with "Rum n Juice"

And as far as the the thread's dismissal of rap/hip hop, it was truly mindblowing to see someone actually post and argue that the pirate rappers had better flow then any popular artists out there when Tha Carter III had come out the year before.

It's pretty interesting but a lot of those posters in that thread seemed to have stopped posting since the early 2010s.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh my God it's just pirate-themed rap, Jesus Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pentyne posted:

It's pretty interesting but a lot of those posters in that thread seemed to have stopped posting since the early 2010s.

That's always the saddest part of reading old old threads. The amount of avatars I remember but haven't seen in years, or just pages of banned users never to return :(

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Oh my God it's just pirate-themed rap, Jesus Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8

...that is not rap, my guy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crane Fist posted:

...that is not rap, my guy

It wasn't meant to be an example.
But Alestorm have collaborated with Captain Yarrface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLJ5wIXu-U

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Paladinus posted:

Alestorm have collaborated with Captain Yarrface.

cursed loving sentence

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

cursed loving sentence

Basically this but for pirates

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In ten years there's going to be a front page article apologising for mistreatment of pirates on SA.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Never going to miss a chance to show the best (only?) Pirate thrash band, Swashbuckle.
Honestly, not bad thrash, if thrash is your thing
https://youtu.be/53A4GyB96RI

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

In ten years there's going to be a front page article apologising for mistreatment of pirates on SA.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Paladinus posted:

It wasn't meant to be an example.
But Alestorm have collaborated with Captain Yarrface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLJ5wIXu-U

A genre of music worse than black metal. It should be impossible but there's video proof right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Paladinus posted:

Maybe then they can get their forum back

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

pentyne posted:

The guy on the left seems to be having more fun

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A genre of music worse than black metal. It should be impossible but there's video proof right there.

I'm going to to combine the two and tour under the name Yargh Vikernes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lin Manuel-Miranda is gusano scum.

Isn't this a slur? I don't like the guy much either, don't get me started, but maybe don't go slipping those in at the last minute.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pastry of the Year posted:

Isn't this a slur? I don't like the guy much either, don't get me started, but maybe don't go slipping those in at the last minute.

I believe it's contextual, and there's essentially no context where someone using it on these forums outside isn't a slur.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The worst part is that the obvious response to a diss track about your novelty nerdcore pirate rap group is "lol you went to all the effort of recording a diss track about a novelty nerdcore pirate rap group"

Captain Dan's worst crime is taking himself seriously.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

"Is This A Slur?" Is my favorite game of 2020 along with "Tag! You're Sick!"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

Images like this are silly because of course goony weirdos have done weird goony things before the internet. Internet access probably hasn't appreciably changed the amount of weirdos, it's just made them more visible to the rest of us. Pre-internet, only people in their immediate area would be aware of them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eh, it let them find each other. Pre-internet a lot of people probably had weirdo tendencies they never acted on since as far as they knew they'd be doing it alone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Slightly out of the usual context, which is 'Cuban exile who whines about Communist brutality and on further questioning is still mad that Castro didn't let them own slaves anymore'. But his father is actively looting Puerto Rico, so close enough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Puppy Time posted:

Images like this are silly because of course goony weirdos have done weird goony things before the internet. Internet access probably hasn't appreciably changed the amount of weirdos, it's just made them more visible to the rest of us. Pre-internet, only people in their immediate area would be aware of them.

no. images like this are silly because it is a webcomic

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slightly out of the usual context, which is 'Cuban exile who whines about Communist brutality and on further questioning is still mad that Castro didn't let them own slaves anymore'. But his father is actively looting Puerto Rico, so close enough.

I don't know poo poo about him, but lol at being mad at someone "whining" about Communist brutality. I also wasn't aware slavery was legal in Cuba in 1959.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

I snorted thinking of that particular bit of semi-recent drama.

Does PHIZ post anymore, or did the shame of writing a front page article so bad the community begrudgingly agrees with the person they hate the most that it should be removed, drive them to an alt/offsite?

This is the embarassing, short lived "We're sorry, Furries!" article, for anyone unaware.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't know poo poo about him, but lol at being mad at someone "whining" about Communist brutality. I also wasn't aware slavery was legal in Cuba in 1959.

i think they were called “indentured servants”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Does PHIZ post anymore, or did the shame of writing a front page article so bad the community begrudgingly agrees with the person they hate the most that it should be removed, drive them to an alt/offsite?
PHIZ still posts, and as far as I've seen gets dunked on about it every single time they post.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Not Appearing posted:

saying the name Gaahl, but whilst burping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Genuine lol.