Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Because I'm on that sort of a kick, I looked up the USS Farragut to see what class it was only to discover that not only was the Nebula class Farragut destroyed in the Federation-Klingon war, but it was replaced by an Excelsior class, which means that in 2373 either they had one spare and awaiting commission, or they churned it out in a couple of weeks to slap the name on it and assign it to DS9 :psyduck:

Probably a retired and decommissioned ship which needed a new name to be thrown back into service.

With Kirk I think it would be fun to have the Farragut show up in an episode of SNW along with seeing a bunch of its crew whose names we don't know. They could drop Kirk in there as a little easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I don't believe that a plurality of posters individually saying the series is worth watching constitutes "groupthink" lmao

It's just a dumb word I picked based on the fact that the majority of the group seems to think it's good, I didn't mean to inject any ill colour into the discussion.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s very convent that groupthink is always used for opinions you disagree with.

No one describes groupthink with their own opinions

I'm perfectly comfortable indulging in groupthink, I'm sick of being contrary I just wanna agree with people for once

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s very convent that groupthink is always used for opinions you disagree with.

No one describes groupthink with their own opinions

Here, let me ftfy:

Martytoof posted:

But also just remember that it’s perfectly fine to not like it, even if you get through 9 and 10. I know the groupthinkgeneral concensus in here is that it’s really good, and it does have a lot of genuine fans, comedy is definitely individual. There are so many well regarded TV comedies that, while perfectly fine, just really give me no reason to commit time to watching later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Senor Tron posted:

Probably a retired and decommissioned ship which needed a new name to be thrown back into service.
Possible, but that raises it's own interesting questions. More likely they just didn't notice or care.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

piratepilates posted:

Also I think Lower Decks ep. 10 is good and the rest are a solid "mediocre" but that's not a dirty secret, I've said that in this thread.

Same, though overall I thought the quality slowly increased through the season.
Hopefully season 2 will continue this trend, or even be flat out.. good???

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Bloop posted:

It would also suck to miss the dog ep but people want watchlists for >5 hour seasons I guess
God, yes, you have to watch the dog episode.

*clonk* *clonk* *clonk* "...Aaaanyway,"

Edit: just realised that for all we know, Data created Spot the same way. :stare:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 20, 2020

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Dog episode ruled.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think Disco could be really good if it could just chill the gently caress out for 15 minutes.

Pick 2-3 of your Insane Dramas and spread it out over a season, rather than per episode!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Payndz posted:

God, yes, you have to watch the dog episode.

*clonk* *clonk* *clonk* "...Aaaanyway,"

Edit: just realised that for all we know, Data created Spot the same way. :stare:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something minor that bugs me about modern (JJ-on) Trek: why do phasers now always fire Star Wars-style energy bolts with really feeble "plip-plip" sound effects? I skipped through some of the Discovery S3 opener to a space battle (with the inevitable madly spinning ships, but whatever) that sounded like a ZX Spectrum shooter game. C'mon, if you must do bolts rather than beams, at least make them sound powerful!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Payndz posted:

Something minor that bugs me about modern (JJ-on) Trek: why do phasers now always fire Star Wars-style energy bolts with really feeble "plip-plip" sound effects? I skipped through some of the Discovery S3 opener to a space battle (with the inevitable madly spinning ships, but whatever) that sounded like a ZX Spectrum shooter game. C'mon, if you must do bolts rather than beams, at least make them sound powerful!

My take on it was they looked/sounded different and weird to emphasize that it's THE FUTURE and things are different you guys!!!

Like the megaman guns.

Because yeah I thought they sounded dumb as hell too.

e: at least 1 modern Trek knows how it's done :hellyeah:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 20, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Feeble pee-pew sound effects have been a thing for years now and it's infected Star Wars too. I'm still curious as to why exactly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Feeble pee-pew sound effects have been a thing for years now and it's infected Star Wars too. I'm still curious as to why exactly.
Star Wars is especially weird in that regard, because it had some of the most iconic sound effects in cinema, all created by one guy, Ben Burtt... who they then fired when the sequels came along. :iiam: (I know, he wasn't "fired" so much as "wasn't asked to come back" after TFA.)

All I can think is that it's a combination of cheapness and laziness. Why pay for a guy to go out for days to record the sound of wind whistling through radio mast cables when you can just play with the settings on a synth until you get something kinda-sorta like what you want - or simply pull [spaceship_engine_noise_037.mp3] from a stock library?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If I had to come up with an excuse for it, it would be:

earlier sci-fi had loud, flashy weapons because special effects were relatively primitive, and so to emphasize how crazy-futuristic everything was, sci-fi weapons were loud and flashy and made big explosions. Nowadays, everything sci-fi is sleek, and minimalist, and that extends to the weapons.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd argue that a single punching beam is sleeker, but I get your point.

It feels like it was only DS9 that made really good use of the visual of the Galaxy-class dorsal phaser array in action, was sort of wasted potential in TNG (like a lot of TNG)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm now trying to think what the last properly memorable/powerful sci-fi weapon sound effect was. Aliens' pulse rifles? Robocop's Auto-9? (Something I found disappointing about Dredd was how the Lawgiver sounded like... just some generic gun, rather than a futuristic version of Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum.) Maybe those space-mine things from Attack of the Clones?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

I'm now trying to think what the last properly memorable/powerful sci-fi weapon sound effect was. Aliens' pulse rifles? Robocop's Auto-9? (Something I found disappointing about Dredd was how the Lawgiver sounded like... just some generic gun, rather than a futuristic version of Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum.) Maybe those space-mine things from Attack of the Clones?

How memorable they are is questionable, but Elysium had three I really liked a lot that, in theaters at least, both looked and sounded like stuff you don't want to gently caress around with that I dug
The shrapnel ammunition that shatters the gently caress out of robots
That laser cutter thing they use to create a hole in the ship really fast
That gun that shoots through walls towards the end

The laser thing was my favorite because it was so clearly some kind of industrial machining tool they jury-rigged to be a portable cut poo poo open quickly during a heist gun

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 20, 2020

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My dad sent me this and I thought you'd all appreciate it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtS87Do47A

Good luck getting that theme out of your head for the next couple days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The old school beam phasers were great. I think about a ship firing while maneuvering and the beam moving along the saucer section.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

mehall posted:

I love this.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mehall posted:

You were right; I do appreciate this! :tipshat:

Arglebargle IV
Oct 5, 2020

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Attack of the Clones had jaw-dropping sound in theaters. Shame about the rest of it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mehall posted:

It's one of the greatest TV themes of all time. I'll let you off.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Arglebargle IV posted:

Attack of the Clones had jaw-dropping sound in theaters. Shame about the rest of it.

Those space mines that Jango's ship had were just awesome sound wise. The delay and then completely wild bass punching in was great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J33uk posted:

Those space mines that Jango's ship had were just awesome sound wise. The delay and then completely wild bass punching in was great.

There's something similar in Picard, two moments of sound design that really stand out: Seven's Fenris fighter slamming into the Romulan colony world's planetary shields, and the big honkin' THWOOOOOOOOOOOOOM when the Borg Cube comes barrelling out of the transwarp corridor.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's been done to death but I liked the Inception PWOOOOOOMS when the Pakled ships appeared in LDS

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

mehall posted:

Thank you! This is the only thing about Discovery I have ever enjoyed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was listening to the Greatest Gen guys on their podcast about the new Disco episode, and one of them was apparently confused as to why Michael reacted when her suit computer indicated lifeform readings. Even though the episode has a recap of Season 2 at the beginning which specifically reminds about the whole plot of Control and the reason why they had to go to the future. Then he doubles down with 'well I don't think they should have shown those CGI creatures before that to ruin the moment' even though we had just seen that dogfight between the two ships near the planet that Michael crashed into. I was just incredulous at this entire exchange.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Greatest Gen, like many goons, are really loving bad at actually watching tv.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Greatest Gen, like many goons, are really loving bad at actually watching tv.
They talk all the time about how they rewatch episodes multiple times so there isn't really any excuse

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Payndz posted:

The quake 2 railgun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A.o.D. posted:

The quake 2 railgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjeIKOJgIg

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HD DAD posted:

Drunken Disco speculation. Spoilered just in case.

Sahil mentions not knowing “how much of the Federation is out there”. Book casually drops that the Gorn had hosed up subspace. The season finale is titled “Outside”. What if we’re in some kind of territory of space that is absolutely wrecked, where both warp and long range communications are either unreliable or impossible. This area could be huge. However, the Burn could be a red herring of some sort, and there’s an outside force trying to keep this section of the galaxy cut off from the greater whole. Discovery pops up with its spore drive, bands everyone in this patch of space together, defeats the bad guy, and suddenly...the Federation is still there. Super alive and kicking and bigger than ever, and they’re really happy to have us back.

Could be super dumb but hey

This better be the plot

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

It's nice, but it's no rail.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was listening to the Greatest Gen guys on their podcast about the new Disco episode, and one of them was apparently confused as to why Michael reacted when her suit computer indicated lifeform readings. Even though the episode has a recap of Season 2 at the beginning which specifically reminds about the whole plot of Control and the reason why they had to go to the future. Then he doubles down with 'well I don't think they should have shown those CGI creatures before that to ruin the moment' even though we had just seen that dogfight between the two ships near the planet that Michael crashed into. I was just incredulous at this entire exchange.

I am so glad I dropped this podcast.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do they not know about dramatic irony

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I honestly had checked out of the Control plot so hard I forgot the part about destroying all life everywhere and don't remember that being mentioned specifically in the recap, so was also confused until I saw someone here post about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Missing something isn’t like the worst sin, it happens.

It gets goons real steamed I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally watched the new Disco. The show rarely felt like Star Trek but now it's at the point where it feels like something other than Star Trek. In this case, Mass Effect. This is now a Mass Effect show.

That's... kinda cool. Now all they need is a director (of photography) who isn't fond of a camera so shaky that it makes me feel ill in the first 10 minutes of the episode and a director (of acting) who can reign in Sonequa's overly melodramatic range. It would also help if there weren't Storm Trooper levels of bad aim and deux ex "we shot at you every other encounter but we won't shoot at you for this final encounter" levels of storyboarding. Everything else about the episode was great and I'm actually looking forward to seeing the high budget they seemed to have put towards making a future-future that looks gorgeous and Mass Effect levels of cool tech.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's been done to death but I liked the Inception PWOOOOOOMS when the Pakled ships appeared in LDS
I think that's a direct riff on JJ-Trek, I'm fairly certain that's the noise the big bad ship in the first movie made.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 21, 2020