Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, this has "barely disguised pilot" written all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

it definitely felt like a pilot, and with what they're doing in terms of making it free on youtube, yeah. we're gonna get a darkwing spinoff announced within a year or two. as long as its as good as this show im totally onboard

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sea Lily posted:

it definitely felt like a pilot, and with what they're doing in terms of making it free on youtube, yeah. we're gonna get a darkwing spinoff announced within a year or two. as long as its as good as this show im totally onboard

Assuming we get that, I really hope we get to have more Owlson.

"This is not an invitation for a bunch iof costumed yahoos to do the same"

Owlson's super-power is having basic common sense.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Everyone posted:

To be fair, in DT(and real life) it pretty much is a rare superpower

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

bunnyofdoom posted:

To be fair, in DT(and real life) it pretty much is a rare superpower

Which is why she's awesome.

I'd be okay with a Launchpad/Darkwing romance thing, but I can't see it happening because Disney.

I wouldn't mind a Darkwing/Owlson pairing because hero-worship isn't her thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ikanreed posted:

That could just as easily be a lovely judge as anything.

I really like him cummings, and I hope it's false, but that's not really clarifying information

I mean it was also all a year ago and nothing's come of it. I looked to see if there was anything new and while he did admit he went to rehab for alcohol problems, that's about it.

Despite the news having been on their usual 24/7 Trump kick, this was all back in April and May of 2019.

Other than the judge (apparently) dismissing the claims, we don't have anything else to go by.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Great episode, I like new Gos and Owlson rules and I'm glad she runs her own city now.

Although I felt like there was a scene missing between Bulba unleashing the fearsome four and Launchpad having his talk with Goslyn. Thought this was all happening in a single night.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I mean it was also all a year ago and nothing's come of it. I looked to see if there was anything new and while he did admit he went to rehab for alcohol problems, that's about it.

Despite the news having been on their usual 24/7 Trump kick, this was all back in April and May of 2019.

Other than the judge (apparently) dismissing the claims, we don't have anything else to go by.

IIRC he himself admitted to hurting a dog to punish his kids for something, so as far as I'm concerned he can gently caress right off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

IIRC he himself admitted to hurting a dog to punish his kids for something, so as far as I'm concerned he can gently caress right off.

I looked into that too and that's one of the things his ex wife claimed he did but he never admitted to it. He and his wife have restraining orders against each other until 3-9-2022 and must stay 100 yards away from one another (this doesn't include child visitation time). Jim has primary custody of the kids and his wife didn't like that so she said he raped her and abused the dog to try to discredit him and get the kids back. The judge bitched both of them out for not putting the kids first.

Granted, no one knows except for those two what exactly happened but considering what Disney did to James Gunn just 2 months later for 10 year old tweets, I think they would dig as deep as a corporation can to figure out if it's true. So far, they've never distanced themselves from him though.

I really like him too so I hope it's not true, but to me at least, it sounds like some crazy bitter divorce plus restraining orders on both sides with both sides being selfish and not thinking of their kids before they go all at war with each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It should also be noted that when asked recently if they had any plans for Negaduck in the near future, Frank Angones gave a very diplomatic "Uhh... Not really" in response, so make of that whatever you will.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I looked into that too and that's one of the things his ex wife claimed he did but he never admitted to it. He and his wife have restraining orders against each other until 3-9-2022 and must stay 100 yards away from one another (this doesn't include child visitation time). Jim has primary custody of the kids and his wife didn't like that so she said he raped her and abused the dog to try to discredit him and get the kids back. The judge bitched both of them out for not putting the kids first.

Granted, no one knows except for those two what exactly happened but considering what Disney did to James Gunn just 2 months later for 10 year old tweets, I think they would dig as deep as a corporation can to figure out if it's true. So far, they've never distanced themselves from him though.

I really like him too so I hope it's not true, but to me at least, it sounds like some crazy bitter divorce plus restraining orders on both sides with both sides being selfish and not thinking of their kids before they go all at war with each other.

Considering the judge told them that they were both guilty of abuse and ordered mutual domestic violence restraining orders I'm struggling to get anywhere close to him being innocent.

As for the dog abuse, I got that directly from him. When the wife first went public with her claims he made a post somewhere claiming innocence, and as part of that explained how "all he did was". I can't remember the specifics but I remember being pretty drat horrified that anyone would do this, much less think so little of doing it that they would think people would be OK with it. I'm guessing his lawyers agreed with me and had him remove it because I can't find the post anymore.

Fake edit; found a story that at least mentions his admission:

https://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00135969.html

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"We are not supervillains" - FOWL

Bradford, have you SEEN your minions? You're being completely delusional here.

Everyone posted:

In the Ace Attorney series, Edgeworth's magical lawyer prosecutor superpower is basic logic. It compares very favorably with all the supernatural bullshit the rest of the series has, which include summoning the spirit of the deceased to create a vision of what they saw in the last few moments of their life.

So, yeah, I'd be loving down for Owlson as a permanent cast member in "Darkwing Duck 2021" (or Ducktales 2017 obviously).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Omobono posted:

"We are not supervillains" - FOWL

Bradford, have you SEEN your minions? You're being completely delusional here.

Can't wait to find out that this top secret organization only has marked helicopters because one of his minions decided that brand recognition is important.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Supervillains that are engaged in a shadowy cabal that appears to be poised to take over the world are Supervillains who usually aren't engaged in independent cockamamie schemes to take over the world.

F.O.W.L. is a holding pen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah I liked Bradford this ep, they gave him character.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah I liked Bradford this ep, they gave him character.

I liked that you could tell that he's the hero of his own story. Also, his statement regarding Magica and the Moonvasion actually were kind of on point.

I think he and Owlson actually have things in common. It's just that she's the "good" version of "can we not do stupidly dangerous things?" while he's the "evil" version.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

He'd have more of a point if the vulture capitalists actually did anything about those situations instead of sitting on their butts moaning about the situation and plotting world domination.

Fair's fair, the Magica crisis they couldn't realistically do anything about since it happened and resolved too fast, but the Moonvasion? Scout Lunaris out, pass the info to Scrooge, eat some popcorn while watching the fireworks.

Also they hired Magica. Kinda undermines Bradford's rant.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Omobono posted:

Did they? She wasn't in the scene at the end of Moonvasion and they did hire the Phantom Blot who was actively trying to kill her (or at least drain her magic).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well she did work at Funzo's, which FOWL has a facility under. That said, she was depowered at the time, and probably would not have taken the job if she knew the Phantom Blot was in the Funzo suit.

She may not even have known FOWL was involved.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

maltesh posted:

Supervillains that are engaged in a shadowy cabal that appears to be poised to take over the world are Supervillains who usually aren't engaged in independent cockamamie schemes to take over the world.

F.O.W.L. is a holding pen.

FOWL, a League of Calamitous Intent associate.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

maltesh posted:

Well she did work at Funzo's, which FOWL has a facility under. That said, she was depowered at the time, and probably would not have taken the job if she knew the Phantom Blot was in the Funzo suit.

She may not even have known FOWL was involved.

That's a good point, actually. Maybe they hired Magica at Funzo's to keep an eye on her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Frank Angones has said that FOWL and Phantom Blot subsuming Funzo's is a thing that happened after GlomTales, not something that's been the case the whole series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Magica having to work at the Ducktales equivalent of Chuck E. Cheese is still really funny to me.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Senerio posted:

Looks like they're very proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dw44RV4-tY

Yes. Good. :hai:

Really, this is a high point in a show full of them, and if it works out to be a back door pilot it's a great starting point.

I rather like that Bradford insists he's not a super villain, and in a sense, he's not - his aims are partially selfish, but he's also literally trying to protect the world from the protagonists' zany antics, and he's not too far removed from Scrooge trying to profit from them directly. Although he did throw some children into a dimensional rift, which doesn't really support his point

edit: Launchpad suggesting he'd sleep on the drive between Duckburg and St. Canard :allears:

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 22, 2020

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bradford is willing to call himself a villain. He refuses to call himself a supervillain.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Episode Titles and Summaries through November:

"Escape from the Impossibin!" 10/26
With F.O.W.L. at their heels, Scrooge tests out the Money Bin’s new security system on Louie and Della, while Beakley and Webby train the others for an enemy.
———————
“The Split Sword of Swanstantine!” 11/2
The kids pair off to find the missing pieces of a mystical sword hidden throughout a marketplace unless F.O.W.L. gets to them first.
*Flula Borg (“Pitch Perfect 2”) guest stars as Spice Baron. John Hodgman (“The Tick”) and Jason Mantzoukas (“The League”) return as John Rockerduck and Steelbeak, respectively.

———————
DuckTales “New Gods on the Block!” 11/9
The kids try to prove themselves by auditioning to take Zeus’ place amongst the Greek gods, while Storkules interferes with Donald and Daisy’s date.
*Tress MacNeille (“The Simpsons”), Michael Chiklis (“The Shield”) and Chris Diamantopoulos (“Silicon Valley”) return as Daisy, Zeus and Storkules, respectively.

———————————
DuckTales “The First Adventure!” 11/16
Scrooge is forced to babysit young Donald and Della as they go on their first adventure to find a powerful artifact, unaware that Bradford is taking on this mission personally.
————————————
DuckTales “The Fight for Castle McDuck!” 11/23
A bitter feud between Scrooge and his sister, Matilda, spreads to the rest of the family as Phantom Blot attempts to steal a priceless artifact and destroy Castle McDuck once and for all.
*Michelle Gomez (“Doctor Who”) guest stars as Matilda McDuck and Giancarlo Esposito (“Breaking Bad”) returns as Phantom Blot.

———————————
DuckTales “How Santa Stole Christmas!” 11/30
Scrooge teams up with his archrival, Santa Claus, to save Christmas, while Webby discovers the true history behind their infamous feud.
*Hugh Bonneville (“Downton Abbey”) guest stars as Santa Claus.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Senerio posted:

Michelle Gomez (“Doctor Who”) guest stars as Matilda McDuck

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Another Doctor Who Reunion. goddamn.

Edit: They never actually starred with each other so it's technically not a reunion per-se

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 22, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At this rate Scrooge's brother Gideon is going to show up played by Matt Smith.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

Scrooge doesn't have any brothers or male cousins, there's a reason one of his titles is "The Last of Clan McDuck", he's the last male member of the clan

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean Peter Capaldi is right there and actually Scotish too :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Omobono posted:

He'd have more of a point if the vulture capitalists actually did anything about those situations instead of sitting on their butts moaning about the situation and plotting world domination.

Fair's fair, the Magica crisis they couldn't realistically do anything about since it happened and resolved too fast, but the Moonvasion? Scout Lunaris out, pass the info to Scrooge, eat some popcorn while watching the fireworks.

Of course, they're totally wrong about the moon, since Lunaris was clearly preparing to invade Earth for decades to the point of developing his own space program, and he just identified Scrooge as the largest potential threat. He DID use Scrooge's rocket technology, but that was still only a matter of time.

Does seem like there's a few comparisons to be made with Owlson and Bradford; I imagine Bradford had a moment like Owlson getting fed up with Louie years ago. Might make it interesting if they meet. Though Owlson seems to have struck a bit of a balance, by endorsing exactly one costumed weirdo in St Canard which she should be able to keep an eye on. While FOWL on the other hand, as much as they complain about the ridiculous methods of the supervillains in their employ, are clearly unable to keep them under control, as shown in pretty much every supervillain episode this season so far... except, notably, for Rockerduck, who rather stands out as a villain who knows when to cut his losses, or even just when to walk away because he's got what he wanted.

(Might be a difference there, come to think of it; Owlson rolls with crazy things while Bradford does a spectacularly bad job at keeping up his cover around the triplets, when the situation obviously called for a reluctant team-up. He's smart, but not actually a good leader or good at dealing with people he doesn't have some leverage over)

Actually might also be some contrast there; Taurus Bulba seems to handle the literal cartoon supervillains well enough, while FOWL is suffering the usual problem of supervillain team-ups: trying to retain cohesion between everyone's competing egos and ambitions. Bradford probably being the Lex Luthor in this equation, which actually is a rather fitting comparison for a few reasons. I think the rub is Taurus Bulba is quite happy to let supervillains rampage to cause disruption and mayhem while he finishes whatever plans he had, while FOWL is trying to do things in a particular professional way that really isn't compatible with a lot of the formerly independent villains on their payroll.

Oh, and Bonkers D. Bobcat exists within the setting. And the Solego Circuit is a reference to The Legend of the Chaos God. Jeez, they don't stop with the references.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 22, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nodosaur posted:

I think Frank Angones has said that FOWL and Phantom Blot subsuming Funzo's is a thing that happened after GlomTales, not something that's been the case the whole series.

This actually makes sense. I was kinda wondering why Phantom Blot Funzo would hire a depowered Magica instead of killing her and be done with it.
While this Blot would probably rest content with depowering any other magic user he'd totally have his vengeance on Magica if the opportunity presented itself.

Senerio posted:

DuckTales “How Santa Stole Christmas!” 11/30
Scrooge teams up with his archrival, Santa Claus, to save Christmas, while Webby discovers the true history behind their infamous feud.
*Hugh Bonneville (“Downton Abbey”) guest stars as Santa Claus.

:f5:
I also wonder if "The First Adventure" is a flashback episode or a time travel episode, but the Christmas one is the one I'm :stoked: about.
All the rest I could take or leave (in the contest of a loving amazing show mind)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Might be a difference there, come to think of it; Owlson rolls with crazy things while Bradford does a spectacularly bad job at keeping up his cover around the triplets, when the situation obviously called for a reluctant team-up. He's smart, but not actually a good leader or good at dealing with people he doesn't have some leverage over)

Bradford really underestimated the kids, but I'm really liking the general competence of the cast:

Huey: "This machine makes no sense"
Bulba, world renowned scientist: "Nonsense, it's perfectly sensible"
Scrooge: "The lad has a good head, show him the blueprints"

or

Bradford: "Mildly suspicious noises"
Huey, Dewey and Louie: "That was totally an hidden spy cellphone, wasn't it? Let's pretend we're buying it and see if we get some decent information"
They absolutely knew what they were doing when they made him swallow the button phone.

It also rounds out the triplets because this time Louie would have been completely blindsided by the machine due to his greed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omobono posted:

I also wonder if "The First Adventure" is a flashback episode or a time travel episode, but the Christmas one is the one I'm :stoked: about.
All the rest I could take or leave (in the contest of a loving amazing show mind)

The name implies it's a flashback, especially because they did time travel last year and that would kind of be belabouring the point if that's really the only way we ever get to see young Donald and Della in action. Moonvasion! set up the prospect that we were going to see a Scrooge-Donald-Della-Gladstone-Feathery 90s adventure at some point by implying that they were basically Huey, Dewy, Louie and Webby all grown up, so this would be one way to pay that off.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I’ve honestly been in love with the premise of Bradford’s character from the moment he said “without the world, who would we larceny against?” Everything about him comes back to that one line and it’s incredible. That’s a man happy to throw children into a death portal to save money. I love him as a villain and I can’t wait for him to let loose.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Scrooge doesn't have any brothers or male cousins, there's a reason one of his titles is "The Last of Clan McDuck", he's the last male member of the clan

What is Donald Duck's relationship to Scrooge then? Or the triplets even?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

IUG posted:

What is Donald Duck's relationship to Scrooge then? Or the triplets even?

They're the son and grandchildren of Scrooge's younger sister, Hortense, who married into the Duck family.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love that Scrooge feud with Santa started with a random joke added to turn an episode into a Christmas episode because of schedule shuffling.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

I admit that I'd love to somehow get Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi and especially Christopher Eccleston to guest on this show at some point. Hey, what's Billie Piper up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It would be the height of comedy if the cartoon ducks are what gets Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant in the same show.