Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Cobbsprite posted:

* You must start every sentence with the ghost's name

I'd like to point out that this might not do what you think it does. Effectively this challenge is "You can only say the ghost's name" since when you say the ghost's name, anything else the speech recognition hears appears to be discarded in favor of the angry name response.

In other words, if you try and get a response to a question by including the ghost's name in the question - "John Smith, where is your favorite room?" - the parser sees 'John Smith' and ignores the rest. It's much more obvious with a ouija board (where you can ask questions and get understandable/verifiable responses).

From some experimentation with single-player, I've come to the conclusion that ghosts leaving the confines of their room is very rare and only happens in circumstances tied to specific ghost types. If there isn't a sink accessible in the ghost room you almost certainly aren't getting the dirty water objective; the ghosts' general lack of passive mobility also means that in most cases finding the location of the ghost room is trivial even on larger maps. I can guess why this is the case but I feel like the overall game experience would be enhanced if the core ghost behavior left the confines of its room at all. Certainly the ghost shouldn't simply start in its own room, as it makes detecting the ghost room via thermometer basically trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

dogstile posted:

Yeah i played a bunch of games with vets earlier who would go in, figure out what the ghost was, do the easy objectives (smudge stick, motion detector, etc) and then just leave. Even on professional you'll be out before the ghost gets mad. Kinda sucked. I've had much more fun pissing off the ghost so i can get a crucifix prevention going.

Those weenies, you can get manifestation for pictures easy too. Ghost doesn't care if the lights are on, if it wants to manifest the lights are going off and all the doors are closing. Get spooked nerd.

Olesh posted:

From some experimentation with single-player, I've come to the conclusion that ghosts leaving the confines of their room is very rare and only happens in circumstances tied to specific ghost types. If there isn't a sink accessible in the ghost room you almost certainly aren't getting the dirty water objective; the ghosts' general lack of passive mobility also means that in most cases finding the location of the ghost room is trivial even on larger maps. I can guess why this is the case but I feel like the overall game experience would be enhanced if the core ghost behavior left the confines of its room at all. Certainly the ghost shouldn't simply start in its own room, as it makes detecting the ghost room via thermometer basically trivial.

Yep, I'll avoid directly spoiling Ghost AI stuff, but yeah the ghosts are 3-4x more likely to just go back to their room than they are to wander, and if they do wander they don't wander very far, which like I said earlier is why I'd like to see a behavior where if there's someone nearby they have a chance to just follow them around for awhile.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would dig "all equipment must be sent back to the truck" so you can't just leave it all around willy nilly. It also means if someone gets body rocked by a ghost, you gotta go find the body and get their stuff.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I don’t like the idea of no flashlights, and even further I would rather flashlights just be a base thing rather than an item you have to bring. The way hunts work make flashlights borderline necessary as-is, because the ghost can flicker lights like an rear end in a top hat but your flashlight will only flicker if it’s hunting.

Also we had some insanely Aggro ghost the other night who snapped my neck right after I took a super clear picture, which made my team finding my camera extra hilarious, and then when they brought in a spirit box to confirm demon it said “corpse” and “dead” before anyone asked it a question, and it said it pretty much right from my body. We’re fairly hardened at this point, but that was too much and spooked everyone into leaving right then. (This was the last picture I took that they found)

We also had a looney tunes moment where I was goading the ghost into appearing, and then she appeared right as the two people with cameras were for some reason swapping their cameras, so nobody got the picture. The timing was unreal (and then she snapped my neck later because I was yelling for someone to get the picture and didn’t realize a hunt had started).

The last hunt of that night had a ghost in the high school hunt us like 15 times, and it clipped through the door on one of us in the last 5 seconds of a hunt and walked right at them. The hunt ended right before it made it to him, then the ghost rang the phone. Just the most dominance establishing I’ve ever seen a ghost do.

Just make sure to plan escape routes and the second you see your flashlight flicker shut up and put a door between you and the ghost, two if you can manage it. You’ll survive most hunts doing this. You’ll also make a decent amount of money if you have someone prioritize finding the bone, dolls if available, and the ouija board right at the start instead of looking for the ghost. It’s easier to find them before someone pisses it off.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 19, 2020

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Had my first death in this.

Walked out of the truck, went straight into the garage, found a board, asked a question

LIGHTS FLICKER NO ANSWER

Well that was weird. Ask again.

LIGHTS FLICKER NO ANSWER

Well that was weird. Ask again.

LIGHTS FLICKER NO ANSWER

Fine I bet you're in here and I'm getting my gear, walk out of the garage, Phantom snaps my neck.

And now I have a flinch over Ouija boards.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Olesh posted:

I'd like to point out that this might not do what you think it does. Effectively this challenge is "You can only say the ghost's name" since when you say the ghost's name, anything else the speech recognition hears appears to be discarded in favor of the angry name response.

In other words, if you try and get a response to a question by including the ghost's name in the question - "John Smith, where is your favorite room?" - the parser sees 'John Smith' and ignores the rest. It's much more obvious with a ouija board (where you can ask questions and get understandable/verifiable responses).

Yeah, the point is to make talking incredibly dangerous by increasing ghost aggro. The spirit box will go off regardless, so you don't really need to say anything specific.

SaffronKit posted:

Honestly? Not sure I can agree with the no flashlights one, especially with Asylum existing as it does. There are 0 lightswitchs in two main wings except in individual rooms or the light switches are impossible to find. I guess you could just carry a candle everywhere but that just sounds even more painful cause you'd need to keep a lighter around to light it again if it goes out.

Yeah, asylum would be one I'd probably want to use a different challenge mode. But UV flashlights do function A LITTLE like flashlights, so you can get something out of it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
game needs more content.

feed me content mr. one guy who made this game

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Rexicon1 posted:

game needs more content.

Desperately

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

game needs more content.

Was tinkering with modding a bit and found reference to a ProtonPack object, so fingers crossed!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"have to bring back equipment from the house into your truck" should be part of the difficulty progression instead of some optional challenge. Intermediate gives you the items back but you lose some money from leaving them (using the Insurance mechanic) and Professional makes it so you have to take care of all of your poo poo or you lose them.

In a similar sense, if you go that route, I'd like to see some kind of mechanic that involves you bringing stuff home from the haunt to investigate. A written-in ghost book could give you a couple of extra bucks, or the ouji board. Maybe make picking up items that the ghost interacted with or are tied to the theme of the haunting (like the axes/cleaver in the farm house) pisses the ghost off.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 20, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

👀

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When I killed your brother I talked JUST... LIKE.... THIS!!!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

HexiDave posted:

Was tinkering with modding a bit and found reference to a ProtonPack object, so fingers crossed!

As much as I love Ghostbusters, I don't think a proton pack would fit the vibe of this game. The slow burn horror it has going on is great, and I think having a way to violently fight the ghost like that would take away a bit of its charm.

As an optional bonus level or something like that though? Hell yeah go hog wild.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think a "third phase" where you place candles, then one person reads from a book while the others do something else would be great.

"Misidentified the ghost? Cool it's going on a mega hunt for 5 minutes better run, son!"
"Used the wrong exorcism? You're in trouble now!"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

algebra testes posted:

I think a "third phase" where you place candles, then one person reads from a book while the others do something else would be great.

"Misidentified the ghost? Cool it's going on a mega hunt for 5 minutes better run, son!"
"Used the wrong exorcism? You're in trouble now!"

i read from the book wrong
as a joke

*insane poltergeist activity intensifies*

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

As much as people deride the person who sits in the van I do think it should be an integral part of the game. Maybe they need to work with the person in the breaker room to get the lights back on, or sort through noise on recorded audio to actually hear the ghost responding to the spirit box. More asymmetrical gameplay like that would be great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does asking the spirit box questions actually serve any purpose outside of just checking it off on the list/~immersion~?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Pylons posted:

As much as people deride the person who sits in the van I do think it should be an integral part of the game. Maybe they need to work with the person in the breaker room to get the lights back on, or sort through noise on recorded audio to actually hear the ghost responding to the spirit box. More asymmetrical gameplay like that would be great.

With some sort of ghost that can leave the house to start haunting the van, giving the instruments false positives and depleting the van-sitters sanity

I really hope content updates come with a "Added some new stuff, changed some behaviour, go out there and find out what changed" instead of elaborate patch notes.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I would love if you could get a set up in the van with multiple monitors, so your team can all have shoulder cams and the Van Person could monitor the whole team, like in Aliens. Everyone has a night vision cam, so the team relies on using torches (and directions from the Van Person) to do poo poo, they can watch for orbs etc.

Maybe the cameras have modes that can only be seen from the monitor in the van so you have an incentive to have 3 people in the house scanning around with one in the van keeping an eye on poo poo.

look i just want to replay the reactor scene from Aliens except with ghosts ok, just give me this.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

veni veni veni posted:

Does asking the spirit box questions actually serve any purpose outside of just checking it off on the list/~immersion~?

Spirit box is just evidence. The Ouiji board is where the ghost lore questions get answered.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

explosivo posted:

I think the idea against this is they don't want people who are dead telling the alive players that you saw the ghost and it was cold just before you died and you saw orbs or whatever. It's not as much fun when you can say "ah I just died" instead of minutes passing before someone else says "oh god I think explosivo's dead"

Edit: unless you mean ghosts talking to ghosts in which case yeah totally

I completely agree there. I was just saying that if dead players were to communicate via the spirit box it would have to be obvious that it was the dead player and not the ghost to avoid false positives.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There is an obvious second run at a ghost mechanic that could be implemented. You complete a contract, then go in as the exorcism team, which would be less slow burn, more fighty but I think it would need to be a second team not the first. And if the first time you got it wrong...oh boy...

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I hope they add some more X-factors to this game soon. I'm level 34 now and consider myself a grizzled veteran. I have two buddies that I've played with and they are the same level. We are now so efficient that we can pinpoint the ghost within the first 2 minutes, and even get the side objectives before a hunt starts. We're flush with cash and just blaze through mission at an alarming pace. We haven't been hunted in forever. The closest hunt recently was when we exited the house with all objectives done, and the ghost slammed the door rudely behind us just as the last man exited.

Then the other day I played with some other friends who are very new to this game. They spent the entire 5 minute setup plastering the walls full of sensors, tossing salt everywhere and setting up a bunch of video cameras all over the place, making the house look like some crazy reality show. They did all this while huddling together, looking this way and that with their crucifixes at the ready like it was some tactical milsim house clearing. I played along because it reminded me how utterly terrifying and fun this game is before you figure out the mechanics behind the scenes. (Not that its not fun anymore, its just that i want danger to be ever present so as to always keep you on your toes.)

Maybe they could add an extra difficulty modifier you could add for some extra cash at the end. This modifier could make it so that the ghost has a chance of initiating hunts within the setup phase time limit, a chance of initiating fake hunts or something out of the ordinary along those lines.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

GyverMac posted:

Maybe they could add an extra difficulty modifier you could add for some extra cash at the end. This modifier could make it so that the ghost has a chance of initiating hunts within the setup phase time limit, a chance of initiating fake hunts or something out of the ordinary along those lines.

And if their sudden internet fame burns the dev out there's always modding. The Ghost AI is implemented cleanly enough that adding extra behavior is trivial, and I am filled with dreams of all the stupid possibilities.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
First time in asylum was my first death in this game. Half an hour of hunting for this ghost, finally track it down to somewhere in the left wing. Can't pin down a room because as soon as I find freezing temps in the hallway it starts hunting and keeps hunting over and over. We were hiding in one of the storage rooms with a glass pane in the door, tap my light to see if it's still hunting (should have just looked at another player model) and hear comes the Grudge to drag me away. Of course the rest of the team immediately sprinted for the exit, after dying I saw it manifest all the way down the hallway and hear dirty water.

Then again I deserved it for all the times I slam doors next to my friends to spook them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We had an uncooperative ghost that wasn't giving us the third piece of evidence, so I called it a motherfucker which imediately triggerd a hunt and killed someone lol

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I got separated from my group right as a hunt started, so we ended up on opposite sides of the house. I was crouching in a corner in the pitch black and whatever it was walked right past me, twice. The other players were freaking out on the radio the whole time.

Ended up surviving and got a whopping $15!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I haven't had any of us load into the asylum without a member of my group crashing, so maybe he should work on that :v:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The Asylum was a bit of a let down for me. It just looks plain boring. I was hoping for a 1950s style hellhole asylum with huge gothic windows and padded cells and such. The highschool is okay, but both maps are so huge. I played both maps twice and only once found the ghost. The other times, the ghost seemed as confused and frustrated as we were, because it kept initiating hunts but we never saw it.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing some actual real-world locations to ghost-hunt in, like Sloss Furnace or Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Or maybe a map editor, so people can make their own locations.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Man, what ever happened to Roberta Williams?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantherWill posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some actual real-world locations to ghost-hunt in, like Sloss Furnace or Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Or maybe a map editor, so people can make their own locations.

Yeah, give people a map editor to work with and/or workshop support and I'd play this game forever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Decided to solo a job to see how it went.

Walked in, turned a few lights on, the ghost turned them off, hissed at me, appeared in my flashlight beam holding an axe.

Went back to the truck, picked a random ghost and left.

10/10 will never ever solo again

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Who you gonna call?

Someone else apparently :shrug:

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yeah, give people a map editor to work with and/or workshop support and I'd play this game forever.

Also, and this would probably be a bit much for a one-person operation, but AI ghost-hunters to accompany you for when you don't want to go into the spooky place by yourself, but you don't have any friends. Bonus points, if the AI can be patterned after the Ghost Adventures cast.

Lastly, I would like friends because I always chicken out when it comes to trying for ghost photos on solo runs, but pugging this doesn't really sound too appealing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

PantherWill posted:

Also, and this would probably be a bit much for a one-person operation, but AI ghost-hunters to accompany you for when you don't want to go into the spooky place by yourself, but you don't have any friends. Bonus points, if the AI can be patterned after the Ghost Adventures cast.

Lastly, I would like friends because I always chicken out when it comes to trying for ghost photos on solo runs, but pugging this doesn't really sound too appealing.

Join us on the co-op goons discord.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I would like to report that CHALLENGE MODE: NO LITTERING (bring back all items) was a resounding success.

We set in advance that our rules were that all items that could be picked up there were still on the map had to be returned to the truck before we could close up. We put it that way because we've had those random times when an object fell through the floor and couldn't be picked up again, and crucifixes vanish when they've proc'd twice. Salt cans have to be brought back, cameras, ghost writing, motion detectors, the works.

Everything was smooth at first. Took our gear in, got the room (freezing) and an EMF detection (level 5), so we took those back to the van when we went for new tools instead of dumping them, not a big deal. The "ghost room" was the hallway at the top of the stairs in the Farmhouse, so it was a pretty big area and we weren't sure exactly where the ghost was hanging out. Blanketed it with motion detectors and dumped salt on the floor, put a video camera on each end with a tripod. So far, so good. (Phone ringing didn't count as "interaction", so not sure what was up with that.) Salt cans went back in the van in our designated "throw it here when you're done" shelf. Got fingerprints. Banshee. Well fuuuuuck. We needed to stop a hunt for an objective, so we decided to blanket it with the crucifixes and hide out. Our scared friend who had been watching the cameras from the van grabbed the second crucifix and came to join us. The second she walked in, HUNT. She saw it appear right in front of her (crucifix was not held in hands) and ran screaming into the same room that I did. Once the hunt was over (safe!) we started grabbing our stuff and running back out with it, which meant a bunch of trips where you really felt like the ghost was watching over your shoulder. We finally got a hunt prevention, so my friend grabbed one crucifix and I grabbed the other, and we got ready to leave. I had thrown a camera down from the ledge, so I walk away from the door to pick it up. Friend gets through the door first, turns back to say "Hurry up, you don't want to get locked....." as the door shuts. HUNT. Cue me running into the back room, waving the crucifix in front of my face as I backpedal into walls and doors and hide in the room behind the kitchen (safe!) until my flashlight starts working again. I ran to the door as soon as the hunt was over, cursing the fact that I was spending WAY too much time indoors picking up my trash.

Tense. Unnecessary. Begrudging. Totally worth it. 10/10 would pick up trash again.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Phasmophobia but in the pt engine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rexicon1 posted:

Phasmophobia but in the pt engine.

Alternately, PT but in the Phasmophobia engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We did the school for the first time last night (we are all still around level 5 or 6, so no assylum or harder difficulties yet), and we lucked out big time: we got a ghost that leaves ghost orbs behind, and managed to spot them on the school security cameras from the van.

We knew where to look for the ghost room, and managed to get all 3 bits of evidence, ID the ghost, all optional objectives and some good photo evidence too. It was a very quick and professional run.