Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

There hasn't been any news of Zen3 Epyc yet, right? A quick search turned up the usual wccftech speculation/rumours, but nothing that looked official or like a decent leak.

No info on: Zen 3 Epyc, Zen 3 TR, or Zen 3 desktop APUs. There's just the AMD presentation about desktop CPUs, and one rumor/leak about Zen 3 mobile APUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-5000u-cezanne-lucienne-mobile-series-specifications-leaked

they're not even segmenting them from top to bottom! it's alternating odds and evens!

loving triggered, this is terrible. What the hell! There's nothing that makes sense there. No digits meaning anything, or odds vs. evens, they are just ruthlessly loving with everyone who begs for a little normalcy in part numbers and appreciates a good numbering / naming scheme.

At least all the 4xxx here is Zen2, I guess?

e: OK, so I guess in 5xxx, an odd/even third digit difference differentiates. For now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

There hasn't been any news of Zen3 Epyc yet, right? A quick search turned up the usual wccftech speculation/rumours, but nothing that looked official or like a decent leak.

Also yes, announce the Zen3 TRs, Lisa

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is the Zen3 release gonna be as much of a shitshow as the 3080? I wanna know if I have to spam F5 just to get one on 11/5 :smith:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Knot My President! posted:

Is the Zen3 release gonna be as much of a shitshow as the 3080? I wanna know if I have to spam F5 just to get one on 11/5 :smith:

;)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I feel like AMD is very confident in their ability to deliver. They watched the NV launch like everyone else.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Things AMD has going for it with this launch: it is on the same process as their last chip so all they know roughly the yields and scaling tricks (unless they changed the multilayers or somethin, but I doubt it), the dies are much smaller than a GPU, its the same physical packaging of the interposer/organic package/pin out of the chip itself, they arent selling them with coolers so more fit in an air freight pallet, motherboards are already on the market.

Things AMD has going against them: if AMDs numbers are correct, every gamer with Zen+/Kaby Lake or older will want one.

Yeaaahhhh I think its gonna be a lot of F5in for a few months personally.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
it’s basically guaranteed to sell out in minutes on launch day, even Zen2 did and that was before the current situation. It’s pretty much the norm for tech products nowadays and again, the pandemic has made it all much worse.

But the chiplet’s small size and using one die across the whole lineup means they can pump them out pretty fast, the subsequent shipments will be far larger than with GPUs and the inventory situation will normalize within a few weeks.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

they can pump them out pretty fast, the subsequent shipments will be far larger than with GPUs and the inventory situation will normalize within a few weeks.
This is what happened with zen2. I'd expect it to happen again if zen3 sells out.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

From a pure value proposition, zen3 is going to be worse than zen2 at launch which will probably help make it more available.

The entry level sku at 6c 12t is now $300, 8c/16t starts at what, $450?

There is no $200 3600, $330 3700x, or $450 3900 this time around.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

From a pure value proposition, zen3 is going to be worse than zen2 at launch which will probably help make it more available.

The entry level sku at 6c 12t is now $300, 8c/16t starts at what, $450?

I would take the bet that they sell out almost immediately

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Maybe. But I doubt they'll be as hard to get as gpus for all the reasons outlines above as well as the pricing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
is it normal to have to manually adjust the fan curve on a B550 + Ryzen 3700x?

got the MSI Gaming Edge whatever B550i, a 3700x, and a Noctua U9S, and I hear what I assume is the CPU fan just constantly spinning up and down. I don't think it's the system fans (which are constant by default AFAIK), and it could be the weird M2 heatsink fan this board has but it seems unlikely it'd be that loud. I'm hearing the fan spin up about every 10-15 seconds, then calm back down, repeat

HWINFO shows my CPU oscillating between 55C and 70C, which I guess accounts for why the fans are going up and down so much. is there a "best fan curve setting" I should go do in the BIOS, or is this a sign of some deeper problem with me loving up thermal paste or seating the heat sink or something? it is in a tiny case (NR200P) that only has stock fans, so I'm not shocked it's kinda running hot in general, but the fan being all over the place has me worried

also, is the "MSI Dragon Center" software worth installing for loving with fan curves, or should I stick to doing it in the bios? I might just leave it on some high constant setting, I don't mind volume when it's consistent (hell, I have a white noise machine going 24/7 in my room anyways)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I can't wait to see the reviews on the Zen 3. I want to see if there's any point in upgrading from the 3700X. With the exception of the new flight simulator I cannot see any reason why it's worth spending money on a 5800 or 5900 strictly for gaming if you have a 3700x other than to run up the score on FPS which will be negligible at 1440P+. There better be some magical reason why Zen 3 is better or I'll just ignore it until I find a good enough reason to upgrade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

abraham linksys posted:

got the MSI Gaming Edge whatever B550i, a 3700x, and a Noctua U9S, and I hear what I assume is the CPU fan just constantly spinning up and down. I don't think it's the system fans (which are constant by default AFAIK), and it could be the weird M2 heatsink fan this board has but it seems unlikely it'd be that loud. I'm hearing the fan spin up about every 10-15 seconds, then calm back down, repeat

With a larger heatsink you can often use the default curves because a 120mm or larger tower has a lot of heat capacity, so it keeps the CPU at a more level temp. But a smaller low profile sink like you've got is closer to a stock sink than a big tower. And that pattern of fan ramping up and down is very typical for the stock sink, because Ryzens are over-enthusiastic about using boost clock for no good reason.

So yeah you probably need to tweak the CPU fan curves.

(Also, if you have the GPU in the vertical mount, don't. That positioning would be really awful for thermals.)

abraham linksys posted:

also, is the "MSI Dragon Center" software worth installing for loving with fan curves, or should I stick to doing it in the bios? I might just leave it on some high constant setting, I don't mind volume when it's consistent (hell, I have a white noise machine going 24/7 in my room anyways)

It's loving awful software, but it can adjust curves without having to restart to bios every time you tweak a value. So it might make sense to find a good set of fan settings with that software, writing them down, putting those in the BIOS, and then uninstalling dragon center.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

HWINFO shows my CPU oscillating between 55C and 70C, which I guess accounts for why the fans are going up and down so much. is there a "best fan curve setting" I should go do in the BIOS, or is this a sign of some deeper problem with me loving up thermal paste or seating the heat sink or something? it is in a tiny case (NR200P) that only has stock fans, so I'm not shocked it's kinda running hot in general, but the fan being all over the place has me worried

Bios

Select the quiet profile

Or increase the “fan delay” response to temperature.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I set manual fan curves in the BIOS to just keep the CPU fan running higher at rest and it helped a lot with the ramping noise. This is a Gigabyte mobo that has a decent interface to do this in the BIOS, though - I have no idea what MSI's looks like.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 21, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Different mobo, but mine is doing the same. I’m watching the cpu in hwinfo and it just bouncing between 3600 and 4400mhz constantly. Consequently the fan keeps ramping up and down.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
regarding demand remember that X470/B450 won't support zen 3 until january. I think a lot of people on these boards are just going to wait rather than buy a new motherboard.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

The simplest way I've seen to fix that is to set a fan curve that's flat until 60°, or whatever temperature your cpu doesn't exceed under low-intensity use.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

VorpalFish posted:

There was no $450 3900 last time around. Original MSRP was $499, and it was selling for $550 a month later at Microcenter, with far higher prices from gougers elsewhere. It was several months after that before supply stabilized and the price dropped to $450.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Micro Center's prices are usually competitive with what you'd pay online but they're not above jacking up the price if something is flying off the shelves.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mdxi posted:

There was no $450 3900 last time around. Original MSRP was $499, and it was selling for $550 a month later at Microcenter, with far higher prices from gougers elsewhere. It was several months after that before supply stabilized and the price dropped to $450.

I really like the 3900 on paper, there totally is a niche for "not the highest clocks but good price, lots of cores, and good efficiency", but it just has never made sense given the grey-market premium for it, it's like the 3500X, maybe it's a cool cheap CPU on paper but given that you basically have to import it it's just not worth it.

given that microcenter themselves carry the 3900X for $400 the 3900 is just not worth it. You could manually limit the TDP yourself and get the exact same outcome as far as efficiency.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really like the 3900 on paper, there totally is a niche for "not the highest clocks but good price, lots of cores, and good efficiency", but it just has never made sense given the grey-market premium for it, it's like the 3500X, maybe it's a cool cheap CPU on paper but given that you basically have to import it it's just not worth it.

given that microcenter themselves carry the 3900X for $400 the 3900 is just not worth it. You could manually limit the TDP yourself and get the exact same outcome as far as efficiency.

Yeah I meant 3900x I just forgot the x. If you want a 3900, setting ppt to 88w is easy enough.

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't wait to see the reviews on the Zen 3. I want to see if there's any point in upgrading from the 3700X. With the exception of the new flight simulator I cannot see any reason why it's worth spending money on a 5800 or 5900 strictly for gaming if you have a 3700x other than to run up the score on FPS which will be negligible at 1440P+. There better be some magical reason why Zen 3 is better or I'll just ignore it until I find a good enough reason to upgrade.

Upgrading from zen2 is gonna be awful value. Outside of flight sims the performance difference will probably only manifest at very high refresh rates, which you may or may not even notice, and on top of that factor in the price hikes.

Generally upgrading every generation is not a great proposition. If you really wanted the gaming performance zen3 is going to bring and were willing to pay for it you probably should have just built intel to begin with unless you're very thermally constrained or have a compelling need for pcie4.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 21, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

you probably should have just built intel to begin with unless you're very thermally constrained or have a compelling need for pcie4.

Given that the high end GPUs are pushing 300 or more watts now, not wanting your total system output to go above 500 to make your room into a sauna seems like something most people would care about at least somewhat. Maybe my office is just small, but my computer only puts out about 250 watts when playing games and it gets noticeably more warm after a while.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Inept posted:

Given that the high end GPUs are pushing 300 or more watts now, not wanting your total system output to go above 500 to make your room into a sauna seems like something most people would care about at least somewhat. Maybe my office is just small, but my computer only puts out about 250 watts when playing games and it gets noticeably more warm after a while.

Yeah but if you live in the North you need to cram in all the high end components so that you can just use the PC as your space hrater

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Inept posted:

The difference between 100w and 150w isn't likely to be really noticeable as far as the effect on your room temperature imo. If you're building small form factor or are very focussed on a quiet system though, yeah it can matter a lot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A zen 2 -> 3 upgrade with these launch prices is terrible value, but it may potentially make sense next year if you're also adding cores (and if there's no followup to zen 3 on DDR4). The used value for 3600s is gonna be stupid low though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I thought the 10900 consumption was more like 200-250 watts.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Klyith posted:

A zen 2 -> 3 upgrade with these launch prices is terrible value, but it may potentially make sense next year if you're also adding cores (and if there's no followup to zen 3 on DDR4). The used value for 3600s is gonna be stupid low though.
30% uplift on single core is nuts tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, how is that not a bigger story?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

50 extra watts is like having an extra window the size of a piece of paper letting sunlight in 24/7 (or whenever your computer is on). It's not nothing but you're not going to sense the difference over a big room.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

19-20%, but yeah I’m looking forward to swapping out my Haswell

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I haven't had an AMD based PC since I was a wee lad, so I'm playing major catch up here. Like everyone else I'm looking to upgrade to Zen3. Currently have an i7-6700k

Should I snag a motherboard and cooler now or are there boards coming with zen3 specific features I should wait on? Recommendations on a cooler?

Is there a point to getting the 5950x over the 5900x for gaming or is it like the 3080->3090 performance/value proposition?

Thanks!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Inept posted:

If you overclock the absolute balls off of it maybe. The intel chips actually will mostly obey tdp if you don't have stuff like MCE turned on (although in fairness motherboard vendors have put stuff like than on by default sometimes so they look better in benchmarks).

Pulling 200+w is not at all needed to extract good gaming performance out of an Intel chip although they definitely can't match the efficiency of zen2 (and it's pretty much a given not zen3 either).

Edit: should clarify I mean sustained load - short duration turbo may allow for it to boost to 250 for like 50 seconds or w/e but definitely not for something sustained like gaming.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 21, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ijyt posted:

19-20%, but yeah I’m looking forward to swapping out my Haswell

https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1318902191675961345?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sipher posted:

I haven't had an AMD based PC since I was a wee lad, so I'm playing major catch up here. Like everyone else I'm looking to upgrade to Zen3. Currently have an i7-6700k

Should I snag a motherboard and cooler now or are there boards coming with zen3 specific features I should wait on? Recommendations on a cooler?

Is there a point to getting the 5950x over the 5900x for gaming or is it like the 3080->3090 performance/value proposition?

Thanks!

if you get an A520 / B550 / X570 motherboard now, chances are it's not going to support Zen 3 out-of-the-box yet, so it's not a good idea if you don't already have a Zen 2 CPU to run it with, and don't want to take chances on BIOS flashback.

you can get a cooler right now if you want. The usual recommendations are Dark Rock from Be Quiet or Noctua

if you're only gaming, you probably don't need the 5950X, and even the 5900X is a little overkill. The 5800X should be "enough" even for a gaming+streaming/productivity build, but up to you if you want to go for the 5900X if you have the dosh for it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Inept posted:

Depends on the load and OCing, at 5.2ghz all core running benches it will pull 300w. Gaming won't be that high.

Also fwiw my ups reports my system (3900x, 1080ti, all at stock) uses 250w while gaming. (Light stuff to be sure, wow hardly maxes out a 1080 or 3900x)

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you get an A520 / B550 / X570 motherboard now, chances are it's not going to support Zen 3 out-of-the-box yet, so it's not a good idea if you don't already have a Zen 2 CPU to run it with, and don't want to take chances on BIOS flashback.

you can get a cooler right now if you want. The usual recommendations are Dark Rock from Be Quiet or Noctua

if you're only gaming, you probably don't need the 5950X, and even the 5900X is a little overkill. The 5800X should be "enough" even for a gaming+streaming/productivity build, but up to you if you want to go for the 5900X if you have the dosh for it

Tbh if your load use case is gaming a 5600x is probably a-ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks. I'm ok with a little overkill, it's been a while since I've done any big upgrades.

Are there enough issues with the BIOS flashback feature to stay away from it?