Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Absolutely wild.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1318237688357658624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That's the same time frame DC will be doing, right?

E: lol DC is at 6 still even when they do the switch.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 19, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Isn't this in no small part because six months ago there were no new comics published?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Isn't this in no small part because six months ago there were no new comics published?

*executives eyes dart frantically*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still regularly buy a lot of Marvel books on Comixiology. Like more than is probably healthy. With the change to 3 months I think outside of a handful of books I really really love or events/crossovers with time sensitive spoiler material I'll probably move to being a mostly MU user. Mostly I'm taking about stable long running books. I'll still grab minis and new books that catch my eye to make sure they get support.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Actually that reminds me of a practical question I had for Vulpes Vulpes. I put in a pre-order subscription for Taskmaster on Comixology since I'm not going into a physical comic book store right now. Does that still help you at all? I'm not at all sure how the business and promotional side of digital works and how it shakes out for the creative teams.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It helps in that the book moves and I appreciate the support, but I'm told that they look at books-to-stores as a the main indicator of success. Granted, that very well may have changed what with Covid, so I'm not entirely sure.

That said, I'm grateful to anyone who buys a book I've worked on in any format!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh after Black Cat I'm sure as hell buying Taskmaster. Black Cat turned into one of my favorite books of the year. I fully expect Taskmaster to do the same because from what I've seen of your writing so far Taskmaster seems to be a perfect fit for you.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It helps in that the book moves and I appreciate the support, but I'm told that they look at books-to-stores as a the main indicator of success. Granted, that very well may have changed what with Covid, so I'm not entirely sure.

That said, I'm grateful to anyone who buys a book I've worked on in any format!

Has Marvel said anything about Marvel Unlimited and how that relates to ongoing work? For example, my understanding of MS Game Pass is that a game developer gets some sort of value if their game is downloaded and started (no idea about playtime or finish). Netflix has some other sort of metrics with, say, how fast someone watches the first 3 episodes of a series or whatever. In short, has there been any indication that if all MUnlimited Goons went on a Vulpes rampage and read everything you've worked on that suddenly you'd be offered the 2021 Marvel Tentpole: Super Secret Wars Strikes Back?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I have no idea, but my gut feeling is that if there's someone looking at that data, I don't know if it's being used for anything. I think they look instead to things like trade sales for that kind of information. I could very well be wrong though!

X-O posted:

Oh after Black Cat I'm sure as hell buying Taskmaster. Black Cat turned into one of my favorite books of the year. I fully expect Taskmaster to do the same because from what I've seen of your writing so far Taskmaster seems to be a perfect fit for you.

Thanks! Some books are easier to write than others, just based on what's a good fit and what you're comfortable with, and in that Taskmaster was a delight. It's very much in my wheelhouse.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MU has a section on the main page for what's popular this week so they care at least a little bit about what people are reading. For new books it might not mean much though since a book would have six issues out before it became available on MU and they could gauge interest but from being on these forums for years it sounds like they can plan to axe a book well before the six month mark. They've just changed the delay to three months so maybe that might help?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

howe_sam posted:

The release schedule on MU has been weird the last 6 weeks or so to accommodate that. Like one week they dumped everything associated with Slott's Iron Man 2020 event, even the stuff that had been out less than a month.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So ASM's moving along at a good clip right now, I think. I mean it's basically coming out weekly right now, but still.

It's good to see MJ back in the book. I guess they're just going to pretend issue #6 of Amazing Mary Jane never happened.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What was the Rocket/Groot epilogue in Guardians this week referencing?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1318976102191202311

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm not sure either - something Thor-related, I guess?

Speaking of Guardians, I'm not sure Rocket Raccoon investigating a space murder is the most appropriate direction for the series, but I'm down for it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

the Fortnite crossover. yes, really

so is this another attempt to introduce Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie into comics continuity? (I say "another" because there was previously the one in Exiles that was visually modeled after her, though she wasn't written much of anything like the MCU character)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 21, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if this is the same Valkyrie from Exiles, or we're getting her 616 counterpart.

Is Jane Foster still a Valkyrie?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if this is the same Valkyrie from Exiles, or we're getting her 616 counterpart.

The article linked in the tweet has all the answers you're looking for. A "mystery" character, and yes.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure either - something Thor-related, I guess?

Speaking of Guardians, I'm not sure Rocket Raccoon investigating a space murder is the most appropriate direction for the series, but I'm down for it.

Isn't it obvious?

Fortnite.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, she's also in Return of the Valkyries, I believe.

Edit: Ninja'd like a ninja thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tsuburaya put out a trailer for the first issue of Rise of Ultraman. I did laugh a little at "The original Shin Hayata was a dignified, experienced member of the Science Patrol, whose sense of justice allowed him to bond with Ultraman. Marvel's Shin Hayata isn't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3psn4Kay4

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Now that DC are adding this with the Infinite update, what are the odds that Unlimited ever adds the ability to make custom reading lists? Doing anything but reading a sequential single series in it is currently a loving nightmare.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Now that DC are adding this with the Infinite update, what are the odds that Unlimited ever adds the ability to make custom reading lists? Doing anything but reading a sequential single series in it is currently a loving nightmare.

You get 2 sevices with piecemeal good features or you get no services

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't really understand why they keep doing this. The thing people liked about Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was that she was played by Tessa Thompson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't really understand why they keep doing this. The thing people liked about Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was that she was played by Tessa Thompson.

If they're gonna keep making Valkyrie books it makes sense for the title character to look similar to the popular character from the movie. It's not like Jane Foster Valkyrie (which I liked) was flying off the shelves.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It seems to me that trying to tie comics into specific characters from the MCU hasn't been particularly effective either way. Think about all the Rocket Raccoon series of the last decade that struggled to hit 20k sales per issue. I think the crossover potentially simply isn't that large, though things might be different in the trade market.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did they give up on Nick Fury Jr. yet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Did they give up on Nick Fury Jr. yet?

They haven't reverted back to the old one, but I can't remember the last time Jr showed up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He was a regular in the Punisher series that wrapped up earlier this year and Sr showed up at the end of Empyre to tease the next event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Both turned up in Fantastic Four this week. Jr. got Sue to be a spy, and Sr. showed up at the end when Uatu was like "hey we're done with this "Unseen" nonsense, but I'm still pissed you loving killed me, so you work for me now for the next event, now take off those dumb chains and get your old duds back on"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That was Original Sin, right? That entire event is a blank spot in my memory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

That was Original Sin, right? That entire event is a blank spot in my memory.

A bunch of secrets got revealed but the only ones I can remember is Angela being Thor's sister and Dr Strange and the rest of the Illuminati mind wiped Captain America. But I don't that last one is true anymore since Franklin rebuilt the multiverse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

A bunch of secrets got revealed but the only ones I can remember is Angela being Thor's sister and Dr Strange and the rest of the Illuminati mind wiped Captain America. But I don't that last one is true anymore since Franklin rebuilt the multiverse.

Also Silk's existence, but I think everyone's agreed to shove Slott's writing of her down the memory hole.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
had to read the issue to see the return of nick sr we all saw coming years ago. i still cant understand why slott is doing this whole franklin de-powered thing, but now it looks even worse that he apparently lost the x-gene entirely now that he has no powers and is no longer allowed in krakoa? is that even how mutant genetics works in the new xmen setup?

also, no

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not really, Madrox is on the island and he's not technically a mutant and there are exceptions for spouses and children of mutants. Its more a hanging plot thread they severed to make things easier.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Couldn't he just get killed by Apocalypse and sort the whole thing out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

had to read the issue to see the return of nick sr we all saw coming years ago. i still cant understand why slott is doing this whole franklin de-powered thing, but now it looks even worse that he apparently lost the x-gene entirely now that he has no powers and is no longer allowed in krakoa? is that even how mutant genetics works in the new xmen setup?

also, no

Mutants who were depowered on M-Day are welcome on Krakoa, and can get resurrected with their powers, but if they want to skip ahead of the 16 million dead from Genosha they have to die in a ritualized sword fight with Apocalypse, they can't just take a bunch of pills or jump off something tall.

But I think M-Day mutants still had the X-gene, it was just deactivated, it was still detectable.

gently caress I can't wait until Slott is off Fantastic Four. Anyone read the new Ironman now that he's off that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really, Madrox is on the island and he's not technically a mutant and there are exceptions for spouses and children of mutants. Its more a hanging plot thread they severed to make things easier.

This bugged me with Juggernaut this week. Xavier says Krakoa is for mutants only so Cain isn't welcome. But there are humans there for sure, and relatives are welcome there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I've been reading ASM (currently on issue 20) and I have to say that I absolutely loathe Bachalo's art. When I saw how weird Kravon looked in one issue I went back to the start and saw he was doing the art and it just reminded me of how I fell off X-Men when he was doing the art (and then Dr. Strange had him on art for a bit too). I don't get it, how can he be so off-design so often?

It's just weird because I've seen some of his like, non-book art (he did a cool Sandman cover for Spider-Man at one point that was rad) but whenever he does the art and coloring for a book it just... I can't take it.

His Lizard looks like a gigantic iguana instead of well, The Lizard.