Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Aren't most people from B5 dead at this point?
A good portion yeah. Still with you guys on someone rich decide its awesome and free it up for more to see.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mr Show’s Sketch about this was excellent.

https://youtu.be/FHqcNj0Pv6c

Makes you realize why so many of that generation grew up to make things like the Venture Brothers and Mr Show. Drugs man....drugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjmSYDq7es

GreenNight posted:

Don't watch Monster Squad unless you want a bunch of kids calling each other human being for months on end. I did not remember that from when I was a kid.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember watching the film as a kid and the main takeaway was how bad an idea it was asking 'what do those numbers on that mans arm mean?'.
Watched that not long ago and it's fairly decent. The "f and I don't mean gently caress" bombs are a plenty and are a hard reminder of how things used to be. How normalized some things were. Wasn't born when that was made but they toss it around in a kids movie like it was nothing because, back then, it was nothing. Just like it was on this site a decade ago. Reminds me how I read they just now pulled the blatantly racist spokesperson for Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Bens rice. Monster Squad makers weren't being hateful... that is just how things were and what kids said. That poo poo can be ingrained and it's so insidious. All that said, aside from the f bombs, it's a fairly cute movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original Bill and Ted has one scene where they call each other that and it is so weird and out of place nowadays.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I was in elementary school in the 80s we played smear the queer all the time and I had no idea what it meant.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Aren't most people from B5 dead at this point?

set it later on the timeline. New cast. Just same universe. Basically in sci-fi very few villains have had as cool design as the Shadows, and I want more of that sort of thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GreenNight posted:

When I was in elementary school in the 80s we played smear the queer all the time and I had no idea what it meant.

I had a friend through high school and college who would incessantly parrot slurs “ironically” thanks to South Park jokes, including f****t, the n-word, “queer”, and that stupid loving Cartman thing where he’d accuse Jewish folks of carrying bags of gold around their necks. I wonder if he still does that poo poo now that several of our mutual friends (who he still hangs out with) have come out.

Basically, gently caress South Park for trying to continue that poo poo “ironically” and gently caress that guy in particular.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had a friend through high school and college who would incessantly parrot slurs “ironically” thanks to South Park jokes, including f****t, the n-word, “queer”, and that stupid loving Cartman thing where he’d accuse Jewish folks of carrying bags of gold around their necks. I wonder if he still does that poo poo now that several of our mutual friends (who he still hangs out with) have come out.

my brain initially read that as "come out [as Jewish]" and I was very confused

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LionArcher posted:

why can't a billionaire like Babylon 5 and buy it from WB for like 200 million, and then give JMS the rights and a four or five year commitment to a new series :(. I want more B5 with modern day effects. (and re do the old effects and then put them out on Blu-ray finally).

I think its like one of those Stargate things where there's still some mega high up exec who either loving hates it and won't let anyone have it or loves it but not enough to try and relaunch the franchise with any effort.

Stargate got a recent "series" that was like a super early prequel set in the 1900s in the form of 10 minute webisodes that no one watched on MGM's Stargate Command streaming service.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember watching the film as a kid and the main takeaway was how bad an idea it was asking 'what do those numbers on that mans arm mean?'.

Mine was that those kids would have been stone loving dead if Rudy didn't hang around with them for some inexplicable reason, because Jesus Christ did that kid put in work.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Watched that not long ago and it's fairly decent. The "f and I don't mean gently caress" bombs are a plenty and are a hard reminder of how things used to be. How normalized some things were. Wasn't born when that was made but they toss it around in a kids movie like it was nothing because, back then, it was nothing. Just like it was on this site a decade ago. Reminds me how I read they just now pulled the blatantly racist spokesperson for Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Bens rice. Monster Squad makers weren't being hateful... that is just how things were and what kids said. That poo poo can be ingrained and it's so insidious. All that said, aside from the f bombs, it's a fairly cute movie.
I just watched the Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street documentary and at one point they do a montage of how prevalent that slur was in media in the 80s and 90s and it was like this brutal direct shot at all of my nostalgic favorites. Its at a point where I'm scared to revisit something I liked before 2005 or so for fear that they'll just start screaming slurs the whole time.

Except Willow. Willow is clear.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
THIS SUNDAY.

MIDNIGHT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Hmp65tuK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpL91NZcWo

Gonz fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 21, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pentyne posted:

I think its like one of those Stargate things where there's still some mega high up exec who either loving hates it and won't let anyone have it or loves it but not enough to try and relaunch the franchise with any effort.

Stargate got a recent "series" that was like a super early prequel set in the 1900s in the form of 10 minute webisodes that no one watched on MGM's Stargate Command streaming service.

A British radio company called Big Finish had the rights to do audios a few years back based on SG-1 and Atlantis, starring people like Michael Shanks, Claudia Black, and Christopher Judge among others, and then MGM pulled the rights to such an extent that the company wasn't even allowed to sell them anymore.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M

For whatever reason I wasn't feeling the Jurassic Park mini trailer they did a week or two ago, but this one absolutely nails it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically, gently caress South Park for trying to continue that poo poo “ironically” and gently caress that guy in particular.
Totally with you on the bloke you knew but... one of the SP creators is Jewish and some of that came from him dealing with it. Making jokes about how some hillbilly thinks "x" is a good way to take out some of the sting. Mel Brooks used to do it a ton and he fought nazis (gently caress you phone - I will not capitalize nazis). As an aside, it's not very enlightened or kind, but it is hilarious to make white people squirm when they dance around prejudice; especially when you are mixed race and they are confused about your origin. A comedian made a routine about "No, where are you from?" I do wish Southpark handled stuff differently sometimes and was less "middle" but that is their path. So yeah gently caress that bloke but people should be able to make jokes about them dealing with prejudice. It really does help.

STAC Goat posted:

I just watched the Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street documentary and at one point they do a montage of how prevalent that slur was in media in the 80s and 90s and it was like this brutal direct shot at all of my nostalgic favorites. Its at a point where I'm scared to revisit something I liked before 2005 or so for fear that they'll just start screaming slurs the whole time.

Except Willow. Willow is clear.
I still want media to stay unchanged. In some cases as it's a product of their time and we should see it, warts and all. Other times I feel a bit like that bit from Inglorious Basterds: you don't get to take off that uniform. I've always been against rewriting or covering up history. That's how things like Tulsa massacre got forgotten for decades. That's how the "daughters of the confederacy" and the kkk (gently caress you phone I am not capitalizing those fuckos) got away with statues in America for a century or close to. Funny enough: I was talking to someone from the southern US who brought up their textbooks that gloss over a ton of the negative racist stuff was funded and written by those same daughters of the confederacy and their buddies. My friend was always griping about that. One of the big reasons I want movies and books written to stay unchanged. The only thing that sucks about that is that kind of requires that if you have kids and want to watch it with them, you got to have a conversation with them and they be old enough to understand. Conversations that got to happen anyway as once they play any online game they will hear words. I still do every time I go online. Well that and some baby screaming in the background while someone forgot to mute their mic.

LionArcher posted:

set it later on the timeline. New cast. Just same universe. Basically in sci-fi very few villains have had as cool design as the Shadows, and I want more of that sort of thing.

Never seen Legend of the Rangers but I thought that was a sound concept. Just no prequels. I am so sick of hearing the term prequel and don't even care if they do a good job of it. Forward momentum is always good as are taking chances.... just not this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4l2fzK7aXc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Disney is striking a good balance with their disclaimers on Disney+

quote:

"This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together."

I think the new wording is good because it replaces the idea of 'outdated' with the concept that yes, it was wrong then too. Culture evolving didn't make the thing wrong, it made us able to acknowledge that it was wrong all along.

It's October so I'm watching basically all horror movies right now with a special emphasis on the 70s and 80s. Some I haven't seen before (like "The Omen") and some I own and haven't watched in awhile (Dawn/Day of the Dead.)

Man, older horror is a mixed bag. Both "Dead" movies use racial slurs in places, though only by people that are shown to be comic book level bad. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, they are careful to make sure no one that we would have empathy for uses them, but lumping them with over the top evil behavior paints the picture that only over the top evil people talk that way which I think limits the level of discourse. Not that those movies are the most subtle thing in the world either though. The bigger thing is that I don't recall those bits sticking out as plainly the last time I watched those movies which bothers me about myself because it's not like the last time I watched them was in the 80s.

Another thing that happened in two different movies (The Omen and Dawn of the Dead) were the men talking privately about whether or not a woman who wasn't part of the conversation should abort her baby, implying heavily that it was the guy's decision. "Dawn" at least has a moment of dialog afterwards that shows that it was not ok, but "The Omen" basically plays it straight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's a fine line and I really don't know what the right answer is. Like should 30 Rock pull their blackface episodes because that's hosed up no one should have to see it and risk being blindsided by it on a show that really isn't that kind of thing 99% of the time. Does that give them a pass and we should leave it there so we remember it happened and how easily it is to forget? I can certainly understand that argument. I don't know which is the right way. A clear warning like that Disney+ one is certainly probably the best middle ground. I'm still not sure if its enough with everything. Like can you watch Gone With The Wind and just say "Woah, slavery and marriage rape is very wrong!" and be ok? I dunno. Can the Hangover work if you tell people its gonna drop the f slur every 90 seconds? Does it even deserve to be seen then? But we don't want to censor it. I dunno. Its weird and complicated.

bull3964 posted:

Both "Dead" movies
Apropros of nothing I know which two movies you're referring to and even which character in each one but there are at least 3 Dead movies and arguably more like 20. And then there's the knockoffs.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 21, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

Apropros of nothing I know which two movies you're referring to and even which character in each one but there are at least 3 Dead movies and arguably more like 20. And then there's the knockoffs.

Yeah, but I did call out which ones I was talking about earlier.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I liked some South Park episodes (and the movie) growing up but I will never forgive it for its ironic racism bullshit. I grew up in a very predominantly white area and absolutely loved being called Token all the time. One of my other friends got called Jewboy non-stop as well. I've carried a grudge against the show for like 20 years because of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but I did call out which ones I was talking about earlier.

Yeah, like I said I can even guess at the characters you're talking about (the racist dad in Night and the racist cop in Dawn). I was just being a pedantic nerd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, like I said I can even guess at the characters you're talking about (the racist dad in Night and the racist cop in Dawn). I was just being a pedantic nerd.

Heh, I wasn't even talking about Night. I was talking about Dawn and Day (so racist cop in Dawn and racist soldier in Day.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really have a problem with it in the sort of context of Romero's films. Like he's making a point that the racists are the bad guys and even if he claimed he was never doing it deliberately he always had women and black men as his protagonists/"heroes." I can see the argument of if you make only the bad guys the racists you gloss past racism in everyone, but that's a lot of nuance for a zombie film and it still comes down to "racists are the bad guys even if they hide it or whatever.

Its those incidents where people were just tossing it around casually without any regard that stand out. And then there's the weird stuff like 30 Rock where they acknowledged blackface was way bad but also still actually did it so... wha?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1318980496035074048

Y'all wanna buy Quibi lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
If you made a good enough "let's buy quibi" thread in gbs you could probably raise a few grand, which would prolly be enough lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Quibi has been a very entertaining disaster and I'll miss it when it's gone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I don't really have a problem with it in the sort of context of Romero's films. Like he's making a point that the racists are the bad guys and even if he claimed he was never doing it deliberately he always had women and black men as his protagonists/"heroes." I can see the argument of if you make only the bad guys the racists you gloss past racism in everyone, but that's a lot of nuance for a zombie film and it still comes down to "racists are the bad guys even if they hide it or whatever.

Its those incidents where people were just tossing it around casually without any regard that stand out. And then there's the weird stuff like 30 Rock where they acknowledged blackface was way bad but also still actually did it so... wha?

I don't have a problem with it either, I think my point was how I viewed it is different.

Prior watches-> These are all really bad people because they are racist and doing bad things.
Now -> These people are loving racist which makes them bad people. They also do a lot of other bad things which isn't surprising since they are racist.

My contextualization of them changed. I feel like in the 80s and 90s it wasn't enough for people to use racial slurs to frame them as truly bad people since there was so much casual use. They had to add over the top stuff like blowing someone's head off with a shotgun or really piling on the racism as a defining character trait to really hammer it home.

Again, yeah, I admitted that Romero zombie movies aren't the most subtle things in the world and these may not have all be conscious choices. But I think it does make the case how examining older media like this can be a catalyst for introspection.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sacha Baron Cohen ladies and gentlemen

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1318977371681193990

I cannot for the life of me find a clip. Airs on Friday on Amazon apparently.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's pretty clear at this point that Republicans don't give a poo poo about that stuff when it's their own people and it won't change anything. They tried to defend Roy Moore to the bitter end for much worse.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

Sacha Baron Cohen ladies and gentlemen

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1318977371681193990

I cannot for the life of me find a clip. Airs on Friday on Amazon apparently.

Oh my God this is like, way too good to be true

Oh my God lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm literally dying.

He's too goddamned stupid to have known it was a setup.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

I'm literally dying.

He's too goddamned stupid to have known it was a setup.

https://twitter.com/freedlander/status/1318991124787331074?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus Christ. I can't even fathom someone being that dumb.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
From an article on The Hill:

quote:

“I only later realized it must have been Sacha Baron Cohen," he said. "I thought about all the people he previously fooled and I felt good about myself because he didn’t get me.”

Yeah I guess they didn't catch you with your dick literally in your hands so you come out looking good Rudy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh my God there's a new Tremors movie on Netflix :derp:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What show would be hacky enough to have a plot where a guy who is pushing a spurious theory about a candidate's troubled child and his vague "involvement" with underage girls - but it turns out that that guy was actually the one doing that.

Getting into the lower tier NCISes I'd say

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1318996449884078084

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
It's probably important to note that the actress in the scene is reportedly 24, and that Guiliani tried to leave immediately after Baron Cohen came in with the "she's 15!" line. So while he's definitely an absolute idiot, he's probably not a pedophilic idiot.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've been enjoying the Showtime documentary series about The Comedy Store quite a bit. After years of listening to Marc Maron's podcast, it's fun to finally put faces to all the mythical names that pop up in their conversations. As a foreigner it's particularly interesting seeing those old superstar comedians I've never even heard of, like Freddie Prinze and Andrew Dice Clay, and discovering that Michael Keaton used to do stand-up.

The opening credits music is fantastic too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Uncle Lloyd posted:

It's probably important to note that the actress in the scene is reportedly 24, and that Guiliani tried to leave immediately after Baron Cohen came in with the "she's 15!" line. So while he's definitely an absolute idiot, he's probably not a pedophilic idiot.

Ah so he's just a regular creep who was preparing to gently caress someone he just met and is 1/3 his age, good to know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it's also important to note that she was introduced as a "student" journalist which can imply a wide age range but should introduce enough ambiguity to, you know, not leap at a perceived opportunity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ah so he's just a regular creep who was preparing to gently caress someone he just met and is 1/3 his age, good to know.

When was this shot? Before or after his wife left him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

When was this shot? Before or after his wife left him?

It was shot this year. I don't know which wife Guiliani is on at this point, number three? Four?

e: re: qubi, it's real cool that executives can run a company into the ground in under a year while getting massive salaries and still be able to go on to work at other companies where they will receive massive salaries as they run them into the ground. hurray america.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 21, 2020