Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

omfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is the best part of what we thought was Early Access-exclusive material, and I'm so glad those cheesy lines are available for all the world to see. The other 'underworld renovations' material was a it more low-key (a few lines from Hades, possibly forever gone now), but those are great and I'm glad they're still in.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

Ah are we showing off insane builds?

Yes that is in fact 348% base damage on the spin, thanks for asking. And that's not counting spins after the weak and hades spear debuff, which adds another 165% combined extra damage for a total of 513% damage on spins.

Hades uh... Hades didn't take long for me either. :v:

The purple attack chaos boon alone upsets me. Every time I stumble into a build that makes me go "huh, this is feeling like an Attack build sort of run", Chaos gives me nothing but cast crystals and resource boosts, which leads me to pulling this face :saddowns: for the entire run.

:saddowns:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Getting Athena's legendary in Tartarus is kind of a difficulty coup.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Serephina posted:

That is the best part of what we thought was Early Access-exclusive material, and I'm so glad those cheesy lines are available for all the world to see. The other 'underworld renovations' material was a it more low-key (a few lines from Hades, possibly forever gone now), but those are great and I'm glad they're still in.

I'm still stunned by the writing in this game from start to finish

(e)

Funky Valentine posted:

Getting Athena's legendary in Tartarus is kind of a difficulty coup.
TBH a 20s recharge on that makes it seem kinda meh to me (I say, but Dread Arengee hasn't seen fit to actually give me that legendary yet :argh:)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ciaphas posted:

(e)

TBH a 20s recharge on that makes it seem kinda meh to me (I say, but Dread Arengee hasn't seen fit to actually give me that legendary yet :argh:)
Over the course of a run it'll save you a nice little chunk of health on a melee or dash-based build, and it helps ensure more damage bonuses if you run the Butterfly keepsake -- which I normally never do past Tartarus.

I don't think I'd beeline for Divine Protection during a normal run, but it's a nice-to-have when stumbled upon while trying to get Athena to show up for other boons.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ciaphas posted:

(e)

Its actually really good, because in general you're more likely to take occasional chip damage compared to a whole bunch at once (which is usually from a fight you're not great at or boons aren't really together yet for some bosses). So it is quite a bit of effective health, and sometimes you can play more aggressively knowing that you can absorb the next hit. Also on bosses you can pair it with the acorn and having just a crazy buffer of hits.

If you want to try another amusing but not too crazy build, take the hidden sword aspect, the mirror aspect that increases chance for rare boons, and aphrodite keepsake. Aim to get aphrodite's +max health from hearts boon, and just take as much health as you can (the mirror option opposite rare boons decreases the number of hearts you'll see).

The boon stuff I'd aim for is aphro cast (because while its good on attack, the windup can be hell and sometimes you just want the weak effect on them asap), and artemis on attack (sword has huge base damage, crits are stupid big). If you can get poseidon dash and breaking wave that'd be best, otherwise aphro dash and some sort of aoe clear cast (ie zues/poseidon/athena) will make styx less of an annoying slog. Then keep an eye out for the hammer that gives +200% dmg to backstabs, and/or the +200% dmg +crit on third swing.

Sword hits are so big you'll be pretty easily carried by hammers and crits, so after you get your basic functionality you can just lean into anything that makes you harder to kill.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Wilekat posted:

The purple attack chaos boon alone upsets me. Every time I stumble into a build that makes me go "huh, this is feeling like an Attack build sort of run", Chaos gives me nothing but cast crystals and resource boosts, which leads me to pulling this face :saddowns: for the entire run.

:saddowns:

Cast crystals own, they're 100% more cast by volume

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maybe this will change once I get above the 8-10 heat range I’m currently at but spear is becoming one of my favorites, with hades spin debuff it’s quite damaging and some of the hammers for it are really quite powerful such as big spin, quick spin and rapid attack. it definitely felt like a weaker weapon with no aspect upgrades next to the other weapons with no aspect upgrades but the hades debuff is substantial.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ciaphas posted:

Maxed Zag fists, Greater Evasion, feather, Athena dash, and Divine Protection result in a situation where basically nothing hits you until Styx.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Maybe this will change once I get above the 8-10 heat range I’m currently at but spear is becoming one of my favorites, with hades spin debuff it’s quite damaging and some of the hammers for it are really quite powerful such as big spin, quick spin and rapid attack. it definitely felt like a weaker weapon with no aspect upgrades next to the other weapons with no aspect upgrades but the hades debuff is substantial.

Spear was my favorite weapon at the beginning (no-aspect). Better range on attack than the other melee weapons, without the downsides (charge time/reload) of the ranged weapons. The special is good and is a nice compliment for the attack.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Something people miss about the spear is that you can build it around the special rather than the attack. It's like the bow but with a free backstab and no charging time. It staggers enemies too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Maxed Zag fists, Greater Evasion, feather, Athena dash, and Divine Protection result in a situation where basically nothing hits you until Styx.

As an adjunct to other dodges it does make a lot more sense, true

I should try to gun for that Legendary, actually. it'd suit my mad-lad never stop dash-attacking playstyle. Too bad about the prerequisite. Oh boy, 110% more dash-attack damage :geno:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Something people miss about the spear is that you can build it around the special rather than the attack. It's like the bow but with a free backstab and no charging time. It staggers enemies too.
The special throw hammer is actually op. If you get the special hammer and some fat % damage you will win that run, I promise.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The only good Spear build is the triple-dash-attack hammer. Almost nothing else actually increases damage or survivability, and nothing in the moveset lets you do a damage spike after a dodge on a boss, so you have to focus on incremental damage over time to do anything meaningful at all.

The game is still winnable even with a gimpy build and weapon, but the spear is just worse than the rest of the weapons by not having any niche in terms of speed, power, utility, or synergy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's a jack of all trades and I like it for that. Nothing fiddly, good range, and versatile. Also hades spear with a good attack boon is enough to win a run comfortably by itself

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Getting the spin attack range hammer with the hades spear allows you to hit the entire screen basically

It’s a lot of fun

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, even though I just have some ancillary cheevos to get and other misc. things, I've decided to continue to play Hades until the next game that I wanna play comes out (Valhalla). The gameplay and progression structures are just that good. Also I'm about 200 hrs in and I'm still getting unique dialogue. This game is an insane value.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, a lot of my spear runs end up being special-heavy: you can just stitch enemies to death with Vicious Skewer or something without putting yourself in harm's way. The attack is nice to finish off single targets since you can stunlock any non-armored, non-boss enemy but it's hard to get big damage with it.

Zagreus aspect particularly lends itself to this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Achillies Spear is good for building around special, Hades is good for building around attack. Zag is... not good. Guan Yu is loving garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guan Yu is very very good built around special

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Can I just say that Persephone's underworld outfit is a look?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Guan Yu is very very good built around special

What's the build? My problem with Guan Yu is less it's special and more that in the time it takes to charge up one of those life steal disks, you have already been dogpiled by half the room.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

What's the build? My problem with Guan Yu is less it's special and more that in the time it takes to charge up one of those life steal disks, you have already been dogpiled by half the room.

get the hammer that makes spin attack faster is the build basically. im pretty sure that option is more likely when using guan yu. the spin attack does ridiculous amounts of dmg with good buffs, besides the healing

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Guan Yu special has higher base damage, a larger hit box, pierces enemies, and doesn't need to be retrieved. I fell rear end-first into a Special build the first time I ever used it and cleared the run. For frame of reference, I am incredibly bad at the game.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sydin posted:

You can almost definitely get to a spot in the room with enough space to charge an attack in normal rooms, it's the bosses who cause trouble since the attack pattern is (except for against Lernie): do quick/safe attacks -> dash+dodge -> attack sequence that you can be hit during. When you dash out of the way and then hold attack to charge an attack, you only hopefully get it off at all, for less than outstanding damage. And if you biff on the timing, you get hit for 25+ damage, which you can only do maybe 4 times with Guan Yu before you're dead from the HP reduction. So you need to do 10+ perfect dodges in a row into lifesteal whirls just to break even on HP.

Guan Yu's special is good because it does a lot of damage and hits a big AOE, but it's also got a slow refire rate so the sustained DPS isn't there without a solid attack+dash attack+cast backbone.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Shield sucks now that chaos aspect was nerfed

Not that's it's actually bad, blocking will always be OP, but it's just dull to play with, and it's the only weapon that I sometimes have trouble making the 7 minute time limit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Charged skewer + Artemis is best, ignore attack/spin, unless you wanna put a debuff on it like doom or weak. Then spam special.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Get the Artemis flourish on Guan Yu and then aggressively hunt for chaos boons that boost the special. Then run around hurling gigantic piercing death harpoons across the battlefield.

I like to pair it with the Ares boon that gives you +150% damage on your next attack after you kill something, and the Artemis marking boon. Toss a special at a marked target, kill it with a crit, then toss at the next marked target and one shot that one too. Repeat until everything is dead.

Only use the life steal spin to farm health when you know it's safe. Dashing across a terrain feature and charging it while the last few melee guys path around it, that kind of thing.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 21, 2020

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

wyoak posted:

Shield sucks now that chaos aspect was nerfed

Not that's it's actually bad, blocking will always be OP, but it's just dull to play with, and it's the only weapon that I sometimes have trouble making the 7 minute time limit

Nerfed when? Was there a patch recently?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I noticed a new thing following the credits. During one of the various "dad being an rear end in a top hat" flashbacks that proceed escape attempts he says "your place is here" to which Zag says "He's right."

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

minya posted:

Nerfed when? Was there a patch recently?

nah it was a while ago, either at 1.0 or right before

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zag Sideshow Bobs himself to death in one ending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've decided casts are: dumb.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

zoux posted:

I've decided casts are: dumb.

Aphrodite has the absolute worst cast in the game, and it needs a rework.
The Artemis/Demeter duo cast is the best thing you could ever ask for

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harold Fjord posted:

I noticed a new thing following the credits. During one of the various "dad being an rear end in a top hat" flashbacks that proceed escape attempts he says "your place is here" to which Zag says "He's right."

Yeah a lot of the flashback dialogue changes post credits, it's a nice touch.

I just saw (post epilogue spoiler) Zag's face up on the employee of the week board, at which point you can talk to Hades and go "Must kill you to see me of all people up there." :smug: and Hades replies "I'm the one who has final say on who wins, moron. I put you up there because you're doing a good job.

Aww :3:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What does pierce mean for attacks? I thought anything your attack moved over took damage.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Aphrodite has the absolute worst cast in the game, and it needs a rework.
The Artemis/Demeter duo cast is the best thing you could ever ask for

All Crush Shot needs is a faster animation. Even with Flurry Shot it's way too slow.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What does pierce mean for attacks? I thought anything your attack moved over took damage.

Pierce means exactly what the name implies.
Theseus and the shield bois are no longer safe from your attacks, anyone behind whoever you're shooting is gonna feel the pain also, and having it on the rail makes very short work of any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sydin posted:

Yeah a lot of the flashback dialogue changes post credits, it's a nice touch.

I just saw (post epilogue spoiler) Zag's face up on the employee of the week board, at which point you can talk to Hades and go "Must kill you to see me of all people up there." :smug: and Hades replies "I'm the one who has final say on who wins, moron. I put you up there because you're doing a good job.

Aww :3:

The hades-zagreus dynamic throughout the whole story is the best