Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

kimbo305 posted:

It's a frame that anyone can buy and build up a bike [brand] around.

Nothing wrong with the business model as long as you trust the quality of the frame and like the price.
FWIW, I think the finishing on the flat mount faces on my fork wasn't so hot, and might not be perfect after I filed off some paint overrun.

Depending on the company doing the selling they might do a better job facing stuff than just going carbonda direct. Your post makes it sound like you're talking about the Obed bikes instead of Carbonda direct which is what I think you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Levitate posted:

Depending on the company doing the selling they might do a better job facing stuff than just going carbonda direct. Your post makes it sound like you're talking about the Obed bikes instead of Carbonda direct which is what I think you got?

Fair point -- it was a direct sale frame. Can't speak to how much each of those resellers does to finish up the bikes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Guinness posted:

Anyone know the deal with Obed bikes (formerly Ocoee), looks like some of the same people as Litespeed?

They look kind of similar to Canyon in that they are direct to consumer, and their value proposition looks similar as well, but without all the wacky proprietary Canyon poo poo. And more oriented toward gravel/cx/mtb, no road race stuff.

3.5k for a carbon GRX810 or Ultegra RX Boundary looks pretty enticing. https://obedbikes.com/products/boundary-grx-810

I've got an ocoee boundary with grx810 1x. It's a cool bike and I can put big ol gravel tires or sleek deep carbon slicks on it. I haven't had to bother with warranty issues, but that does make me a bit nervous.

Any specific questions? It's a bike with an endurance geometry.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Got on the bike today after my crash. My wrist is still hosed but it felt good - did my regular 10 mile route and made solid time, though I was helped by a tailwind.

Biking better than not biking.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Got a bike fit today. Had one when I first got the bike but that was nearly 15 years ago.

Would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it. I wasn't feeling comfortable on the hoods so thought my stem was too long, in the end actually my position got moved forward and more stretched out whilst being more comfortable. Shoes feel way better with the cleats slightly further back and some arch supports in them too.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
What's the go-to colder weather face warming device? I was looking at the classic Buff in lightweight wool. I'm in central Texas, so it rarely gets super cold, but I'll probably need some sort of face covering in the winter.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sneeing Emu posted:

What's the go-to colder weather face warming device? I was looking at the classic Buff in lightweight wool. I'm in central Texas, so it rarely gets super cold, but I'll probably need some sort of face covering in the winter.

A merino buff should do you fine. If it doesn't you can always upgrade to the ski goggles and balaclava later

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Seconding merino wool buff. Also awesome if you like camping and other outdoors activities. Just a handy article of clothing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
On Sunday when we started riding it was 42 F, lotta fun with fingerless gloves and shorts

Got up to 65 F or so, so I didn't want to wear anything heavier. Just super uncomfortable for the first hour or two.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I still haven’t found a pair of fingerless gloves that don’t dig into my Kevin Costner Waterworld webbed fingers.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sab0921 posted:

Got on the bike today after my crash. My wrist is still hosed but it felt good - did my regular 10 mile route and made solid time, though I was helped by a tailwind.

Good on ya. And yes, absolutely,

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I introduced my boss to IDing historical styles of houses and mcmansion spotting as a new urban biking activity. He's been sending me bike selfies as he marvels at mcmansions in disgust.

He also called the Trek Roscoe the mcmansion of bikes

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

On Sunday when we started riding it was 42 F, lotta fun with fingerless gloves and shorts

Got up to 65 F or so, so I didn't want to wear anything heavier. Just super uncomfortable for the first hour or two.
i love this time of year we can get pedantic about our layers

i only wear gloves if the whole ride is going to be at or below 7 C and then I wear full fingers, no in between

i start thinking about arm warmers at 14 C, and if the whole ride is going to be at or below 10 C then I wear both arm and leg warmers.

i throw on the wind vest over a regular jersey at like 12 C

that is until it hits about 7 C then i bring out the thermal jersey and with that i wear thermal tights as well. i dont usually use the wind vest at this point.

i can manage the thermals until it starts to get really cold. at this point ill combine wool socks and shoe covers to to keep my white road shoes their finest white.

when its approaching freezing i have a softshell "eurotherm" long sleeve jersey that extremely wind stopping and warm. and then i will combine leg warmers and my thermal tights and start throwing in buffs and water proof booties depending on the condition.

it never really gets much colder than freezing here so i dont have to dive into pogies and such.

due to my luxurious amount of hair i only wear caps when it gets really cold.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 22, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been gathering some new cold weather stuff, and it snowed today, so just in time.

Firstly Shimano MW7 goretex shoes. These are replacing a pair of old 45nrth fasterkatts I got for free that were a size too big and annoyingly heavy and bulky. The mw7s still run a little big, and aren't light or racey, but they seem better and are warm and dry. The only issue seems to be keeping water from getting in the tops because once it's in there it stays there. I was out on a rainy day and could feel it coming in through my socks. As a tall, skinny person, my leg warmers won't reach down far enough to cover the tops and stay over them which could help a bit. Maybe with the bibs I have coming I can figure something better out.

I have some thermal bib knickers, but the lack of full coverage kind of limits their usefulness. So usually I would just wear either leg warmers or a pair of tights overtop of bibs. But the waistband on the tights is a little annoying and they tend to slide down because I have no rear end or hips to hold anything up. So finally I have some full bib tights coming, the pearl izumi amfib ones. Should get here tomorrow and I might venture out to our mtb group ride but the weather is not great. Will be a good test for the new shoes too though.

Also got the pro insulated jacket while I was ordering the bibs. I have a number of jackets that work ok but the salomon jacket I wear when it's really cold is just a little heavier and flappier than I'd like. I have an outdoor research ascensionist (?) that is pretty great and slim fitting but having a hood isn't really useful and the fabric isn't super durable or water resistant.

I have three long sleeve jerseys plus a few base layers and then just some long sleeve hiking/running/skiing type shirts that I'll wear in various layers up top depending on the temps. Base layer + thermal jersey + jacket works for temps in the low 20s and if I really want to get out when it's colder than that I can put a light puffy on instead of the jacket but at that point the hands and feet are the bigger issue.

I could still use a more water resistant jacket that is slimmer fitting. My OR helium 2 is light and packable but doesn't breath and is baggier than I'd like for riding. It still gets shoved in my MTB pack or the half frame bag on my cx bike if I think it might actually rain while I'm out. Otherwise my light castelli jacket has a little bit of water resistance. Something with that gore shakedry is appealing, but expensive. Probably will worry about that in the spring and try to avoid spending any more money on bike stuff this year.

Have two new pairs of gloves I like too. PI amfib lites, which are just a lightly insulated softshell on the back and an un-insulated, un-padded palm. So they feel like regular gloves but keep your hands a little warmer. This is my 3rd pair of these and they're great down to like 35-40 degrees.

For colder days, I had some PI elite softshells, but they are starting to come apart plus I never liked the gel padding on the palm. It's too much with an already insulated glove and just adds way too much bulk and to me makes them less comfortable. I can feel all the little gel pads and they make annoying pressure points. To replace them I got some Poc thermal gloves. They seem pretty nice, but run small. I can wear a large in PI gloves and got these in XL, and they're a little tighter than I'd like. The fingers are the right length though, and maybe they'll stretch/pack out a bit. Have only worn them once, at the end of our mtb ride last week. The light PIs weren't cutting it in 30 degree weather and these kept my hands toasty until I got home. Considering some huge lobster gloves as well but I think at that point I'd be better off with pogies or just staying inside.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 22, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There's so many combinations of clothing I swap in and out of depending on the weather I have two dressers full and about 10' of hanger rod holding my clothes despite the fact that outside of cycling hunting and general faffing about in the snow clothes I only really wear tshirts and either jeans or cargo shorts.

But the biggest thing is as soon as the temperature drops below freezing I can never find a glove that keeps my hands at a decent temperature which is why I own a crapload of pogies.

Also I got rid of the suspension fork on my Roam. Bought probably one of the last suspension corrected Surly Ogre forks around. Behold my tower of spacers and awesome Richey stem. I set it up that way to troll people so it'd fit the same without having to cut the steerer. I'll cut the thing down once I'm sure I'm going to keep the frame but I'm considering ditching it and finding an older 29er MTB frame and I don't want to screw myself by cutting it too short for the potential frame swap.

No matter what I decide to do with it once I kill these wheels I can finally convert the bike to disc brakes seeing as both the frame and fork now have IS mounts.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

EvilJoven posted:

There's so many combinations of clothing I swap in and out of depending on the weather I have two dressers full and about 10' of hanger rod holding my clothes despite the fact that outside of cycling hunting and general faffing about in the snow clothes I only really wear tshirts and either jeans or cargo shorts.

But the biggest thing is as soon as the temperature drops below freezing I can never find a glove that keeps my hands at a decent temperature which is why I own a crapload of pogies.

Also I got rid of the suspension fork on my Roam. Bought probably one of the last suspension corrected Surly Ogre forks around. Behold my tower of spacers and awesome Richey stem. I set it up that way to troll people so it'd fit the same without having to cut the steerer. I'll cut the thing down once I'm sure I'm going to keep the frame but I'm considering ditching it and finding an older 29er MTB frame and I don't want to screw myself by cutting it too short for the potential frame swap.

No matter what I decide to do with it once I kill these wheels I can finally convert the bike to disc brakes seeing as both the frame and fork now have IS mounts.

Hoo is that a nice fuckin' shop. Gives me inspiration to work towards.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Grow a beard and fatten up. Problem solved

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm 5'7" and 180lbs and I still froze my rear end off

I couldn't feel my feet for two hours

had a good time telling my wife that all the training in the world wouldn't make you less miserable, it was just a matter of how much misery you could handle.

In the end she did pretty good

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There's cold and miserable but also simultaniously exhillerated. Then there's just plain cold and miserable. Then there's 'if I don't get out of this cold I'm possibly going to die in a matter of hours'.

With cyclocross not happening this year I've been doing other stuff that's put me in all three of these phases, only this year without the bike.

EDIT: some of the crazy winter ultra people I know see themselves in the third state alarmingly often.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 22, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Watching some people doing winter ultras without a loving bivvy and sleeping bag just blows my mind. If you ever get hurt or immobilized off trail, yer dead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Watching some people doing winter ultras without a loving bivvy and sleeping bag just blows my mind. If you ever get hurt or immobilized off trail, yer dead.

Yeah this is just bad planning. I grew up in the high mountains and you’d see people leaning way too far into the ultralight side of things. Even in summer if you get caught out by a sudden storm up high it is going to be an extremely bad time. The amount of people I see that go into the backcountry for skiing, hiking, biking, etc. without telling people their route, bringing extra food/water, any “oh poo poo” gear....it’s nuts. Most of them don’t carry a GPS sat communicator but a lot of the ones who do rely on it as a miracle device when it could break, get lost, or you get separated from it, etc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ain't nobody gloating about how light they packed at their funeral. Unless there's support close enough to keep me from developing hypothermia if something goes wrong I want enough extra gear to at least be cold and miserable but otherwise fine.

I hate having lovely hands and being stupid cold. Of course now I'm warming up in a truck after being out on the water using my kayak as an icebreaker and I'm debating putting a bike on the trainer for the afternoon. I didn't even bring a bike with me to go ride :(

At least I found open water for the weekend.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Jealous of the kayak. I don't have storage room but I kayaked a ton back east and now that I'm into fishing I really miss it

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's a cheap one man fishing kayak but it gets the job done for what I'm using it for.

It came with a little wheeled rig that I'm totally going to turn into a bike trailer so I can tow it to the river.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
~ tow me to the riverrrrr
~ put me in the waterrrr

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
In the winter time I wear arm-warmers and knee warmers. Sometimes I wear my gilet. If it gets really cold I'll put on some full-fingered gloves for the first hour or so of the ride.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

It's a cheap one man fishing kayak but it gets the job done for what I'm using it for.

It came with a little wheeled rig that I'm totally going to turn into a bike trailer so I can tow it to the river.

Lol I towed mine on a bike trailer as a kid before I could drive. poo poo owned.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The day I saw this guy on one of the local Facebook pages I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Gonna suck a bit more for me though because it's about 100km to the river I want to get to.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

The day I saw this guy on one of the local Facebook pages I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Gonna suck a bit more for me though because it's about 100km to the river I want to get to.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074

I'm a problem solver.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Sab0921 posted:

I wrecked about 5 weeks ago, and my wrists/palms are both still hosed. It's pretty much Zwift time in the PNW so I've just been doing easy trainer rides without hands as much as possible.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

:smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TrashMiles got me some new KOMs tonight. It is very powerful. I love it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

TrashMiles got me some new KOMs tonight. It is very powerful. I love it.

:hf:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

That man is a Canadian hero.
:canada: :canada: :canada:

I believe in you, EvilJoven. Git 'er dun!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Went out in my new stuff tonight and it all worked pretty well.

I was wearing:

my new bib tights
castelli long sleeve jersey which is light and has thinner fabric on the arms and sides
the new PI insulated jacket. This has polartec alpha insulation which is kind of a light, fuzzy interior
medium weight icebreaker socks
merino buff
windstopper cap
shimano mw7s
poc thermal gloves
baggy shorts for splash protection and pockets. There was some mud and water out there.

Did not need the light puffy I had in my half frame bag but could have been dressed just a tiny but warmer as it was about 21f for the main part of the ride. My other l/s jersey which is warmer, or a base layer under everything, or the light rei running jacket I have on top would have done it, but for the most part I was fine. It's like 20 degrees out, you're going to get a little cold. My fingers were the only thing i ever wished was warmer. They were fine until one of us (4 people showed up tonight) had a mechanical issue and I stopped to help get the chain back on. Didn't warm back up until I was almost home and I had to pedal pretty hard to do that. But, again, hard to keep your hands warm when it's that cold and you don't have bar mitts. Side note- carbon bars help, and around this time every year I look up how much carbon brake lever blades cost. I notice a difference in finger warmth between my cx bike's al levers and the carbon ones on the road bike. Feet were good though, going to say these mw7s are warmer than my fasterkatts, and fit better and feel less bulky (although they're still a pretty big shoe).

Also rode my hardtail, man does it feel strange to be on an older geo bike with a tall seatpost coming from the new hei hei. I've only ridden it like 3 times since early august. You just feel so high up and awkward. How the gently caress did I race this bike for so many years?

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 23, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tall bike is tall.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264909112568?ul_noapp=true

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did a Zwift race for the first time in a while after doing very little riding aside from commuting for the past few months. FTPs down, overall endurance is down. Felt like garbage the first half of the race.

Time to do this more often, I've really fallen off over the past few months.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Festive500 is on Zwift this year. RIP to true suffering if you live in a cold climate.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Festive500 is on Zwift this year. RIP to true suffering if you live in a cold climate.

XIII if you do it via laps in the park again this year set up a livestream so we can cheer you on I'm still amazed you got through it like that last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My limit is 100 miles around a 1km oval. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Did they do the entire 500k in a loop?