Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Love this cover

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1318931324766457858?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They recast Chesterfield too?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Rhyno posted:

Those are the actors who played William Russell, Jacqueline Hill and Carole Ford in An Adventure in Space & Time, to go with David Bradley.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's the Early Adventures (which they haven't done this year) that star the original cast of The First Doctor's era, Carole Ann Ford, William Russell, Maureen O'Brien, Peter Purves as Susan, The Doctor/Ian, Vicki, The Doctor/Steven.

The above, The First Doctor Adventures, star the cast of the docudrama "An Adventure in Space and Time"; David Bradley, Jamie Glover, Claudia Grant, and Jemma Powell as The Doctor, Ian, Susan, and Barbara.

So William Russell still plays Ian (and did so in this year's Susan War boxset) just not in the David Bradley stories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
holidays are comin’

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now I'm thirsty for Coca-Cola.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1320047517766123522

Bottom half almost looks like 12's TARDIS interior at first glance

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1320047517766123522

Bottom half almost looks like 12's TARDIS interior at first glance

All of those parts should have just been labeled "HATE".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was a Dalek comic I remember from childhood which had some other aliens attacking Skaro and the Dalek Emperor saying "Are we powerless to prevent the destruction of our fine city?" before falling into a hole. Never did find out what happened next. :smith:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
In my journey through Trial of a Time Lord I watched Terror of the Vervoids, which was pretty enjoyable. It's kind of nice to see an old-fashioned monster story. The plot is complicated though, with many characters having their own agendas. It might be a bit too complicated for the format, though the blu-ray set has three(!) different version of the story so maybe one of the others is paced better. But in any case the whodunnit aspect is overshadowed by the Vervoids; by the time the murderer is revealed there are hardly any suspects left and it doesn't seem to matter much.

And the somewhat nonsensical aspects raise questions. Why does the same key work on different cabins? Why breed the Vervoids with the ability to create multiple types of deadly poisons? And why does the ship disintegrate dirty laundry instead of, you know, cleaning it? They must spend a fortune on towels.

Payndz posted:

There was a Dalek comic I remember from childhood which had some other aliens attacking Skaro and the Dalek Emperor saying "Are we powerless to prevent the destruction of our fine city?" before falling into a hole. Never did find out what happened next. :smith:

Sounds like "Menace of the Monstrons."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Do the Daleks still have an Emperor, Time Lord Victorious hijinks aside? Dalek lore is confusing and heavy with retcons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It's so pretty

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1321889570762432512

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

It's so pretty

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1321880730868224001?s=19

Watch it being made

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wait, I just thought of something...

If 8 regenerated into Sexy Young John Hurt, where does War get off snarkily making comments about 10 and 11 looking so young? :colbert:

First set was excellent; I haven't heard the 2nd one yet though I understand it's gotten mixed reviews.
\/\/

Astroman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 30, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Are the original War Doctor audios any good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

There's a very strange moment at the end of the first box set that I still to this day do not understand, but other than that I love them. I kinda wish they had been bold enough to give him some harder edges, but I've accepted that the myth of the War Doctor being this brutal killer is more of a fiction 9 thru 11 told themselves than actually reflective of reality.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The last War Doctor set FINALLY nailed exactly the feel and weirdness and even the undercurrent of misery I was looking for, and it had a pitch-perfect final line. It was also, sadly, the last one for real because John Hurt died :smith:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I never listened beyond the first box set, but I still think it's pretty damning that they called the final set "Casualties of War" when it obviously should have been "Causalities of War".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEBX5HrbNvT8wzIFSwVQ5mEcqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww-9S0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

YOOOOOU will beCOME like USSSSSSSSSSS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ravalox! :ohdear:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
A rogue planet, you say? Possibly a...pirate planet? :yarr:

And it's cruising through our galaxy, you say? But why...

quote:

FIBULI: We can manage one more jump under our present conditions, sir. If we made it to that planet, we could mine it for PJX one eight and then make our own repairs.
CAPTAIN: We will mine it. Prepare to jump as soon as the voolium and madranite one five crystals have been produced.
FIBULI: I feel I should point out, Captain, that it is a heavily populated planet.
CAPTAIN: Show me the chart.
FIBULI: It is here, sir, in the planetary system of the star Sol. The planet Terra.
CAPTAIN: Ah yes. A pretty planet.
FIBULI: It looks a pleasant world, Captain.
CAPTAIN: Then it will be pleasant to destroy it.
FIBULI: Yes, sir. I will make arrangements.

:ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1322161588393181186

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am legitimately surprised no nerdy scientist has named a rogue planet Mondas yet (that I can see, anyway), though I guess if they're that nerdy they wouldn't want to tempt fate :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gonna need Ace and the Dalek.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kinda wish she had the baseball bat though

:hellyeah:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Kinda wish she had the baseball bat though

:hellyeah:

The initial Ace release did.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Aceball Bat (TM) should be the most powerful weapon in any Doctor Who game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who as an action-RPG with turn-based battles with weapons ranging from the various sonics, to foodstuffs, paintball guns, rocket launchers, bats and spoons

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ace is top tier companion level, mostly for that scene alone. Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred had (and still do) have excellent chemistry together, it's one of those castings that just works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd do a Fallout 4 run using an Ace character and focus on melee, build baseball bats, and go after mutants, except that the very idea of her marrying a man is completely preposterous.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was weirded out to realise that in some lovely CBeebies cartoon my son watched Sophie Aldred voiced the ten-year-old boy lead, with annoying sidekick David Tennant. :stare:

Also holy gently caress, she was born in 1962?!? She was older than me when I was at university, but playing a teenage girl.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

I'd do a Fallout 4 run using an Ace character and focus on melee, build baseball bats, and go after mutants, except that the very idea of her marrying a man is completely preposterous.

There's always Cait, Curie or Piper

Slim pickings indeed...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don't forget the PC starts out married to "Nick" (that was his default name want it?) regardless of who you romance later on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Don't forget the PC starts out married to "Nick" (that was his default name want it?) regardless of who you romance later on.

Nate and Nora

Not quite as good as Master Fuckface though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

I was weirded out to realise that in some lovely CBeebies cartoon my son watched Sophie Aldred voiced the ten-year-old boy lead, with annoying sidekick David Tennant. :stare:

Also holy gently caress, she was born in 1962?!? She was older than me when I was at university, but playing a teenage girl.

The character Mel was older than Ace, but Bonnie Langford is two years younger than Sophie.

Also, Sylvester, Sophie, and Anthony Ainley's birthdays all fall on the same day (August 20).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Ace is top tier companion level, mostly for that scene alone. Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred had (and still do) have excellent chemistry together, it's one of those castings that just works.

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING SMALL?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Also, Sylvester, Sophie, and Anthony Ainley's birthdays all fall on the same day (August 20).

Just as the Master planned! For no reason, no result, and nothing gained or lost... but that's the Master for you :)