Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Because the NCR is more Rome than Caesar's Legion is.

:histdowns:VEGAS DELENDA EST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Arcsquad12 posted:

The NCR's longterm sustainability is dependent on how the Vegas campaign turns out, but they can limp on in the face of a defeat while an opponent like Caesar will have their movement die with its Emperor. There is no future to the Legion. The NCR can shamble on as a dying husk, at least.

barring a legion ending being canon i think it works out well for them really

either the courier fixes all their poo poo and NCR absorbs vegas rather diplomatically and better for it

or courier says gently caress it (either yesman/hourse though for story purposes guessing house would be more canon) and ncr has to fall back and rethink things

at the end of the day ncr (california) is probably the best place you want to be living anywhere. the fact even they have rear end in a top hat scientists in the osi at least capable to project maybe we'll run out of resources in decades is still better than anywhere the rest of the wasteland has

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I'd be into seeing core/developed NCR territories as a sort of prologue before you're launched into the wasteland. Like, make it a Western noir where you're a PI being given One Last Big Job to find an NCR missionary/diplomat who's gone missing in the Frontier, and assorted political/wasteland drama can slowly be revealed from there. Doesn't necessarily have to be that full of clichés, but I'd like it as a framing device and a glimpse of the world - kind of like the inverse of Fallout 4's intro. Hell, don't reveal you're in the post-post-apocalypse immediately so people can think it's a pre-war scene!

I wouldn't mind a full game (though it'd have to be a spinoff) set in the developed part of the Fallout world, but I don't think it'd really be Fallout at that point (by which I mean it'd be totally different in tone and likely gameplay than every other game in the franchise, which is a big step).

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 21, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I would, no joke, sincerely love a Fallout spin-off about cleaning up the wastes and rebuilding. Not just picking up clutter, I can do that in the base game, but really going all in on cleaning up. Repairing and painting buildings, getting wrecked cars and deliberately posed skeletons out of the way, getting infrastructure in place, the whole thing. We all joke and complain about the wasteland still looking like the nukes just fell two hundred years in, let me do something about it! Hell, make it a low budget, top-down management game, that's fine. I just want to see the environment improve.

In typical fashion, Bethesda gave us the bad version of what I want in Fallout 4 and its settlement system.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The closest thing I've properly gotten to satiating my desire to rebuild the wasteland was with Sim Settlements for Fallout 4, which allowed your settlements to grow and expand on their own, making your own input much more indirect, focusing more on choosing city plans and gathering resources (helps speed up development, but not obligatory) over building things yourself.

They're apparently working on a sequel, which apparently has a story mode attached to it, could be worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QoTwOYF8U

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
At the very least, setting a new Fallout game in the “civilized” core of the NCR would steer the series away from the godawful mind-numbing trash collecting simulator that Bethesda turned the series into

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

At the very least, setting a new Fallout game in the “civilized” core of the NCR would steer the series away from the godawful mind-numbing trash collecting simulator that Bethesda turned the series into

You play as a garbageman, and driving the big truck is the tutorial for vehicle physics.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Truly a bold new direction for Fallout (vehicle physics, not trash collection)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Woebin posted:

I would, no joke, sincerely love a Fallout spin-off about cleaning up the wastes and rebuilding. Not just picking up clutter, I can do that in the base game, but really going all in on cleaning up. Repairing and painting buildings, getting wrecked cars and deliberately posed skeletons out of the way, getting infrastructure in place, the whole thing. We all joke and complain about the wasteland still looking like the nukes just fell two hundred years in, let me do something about it! Hell, make it a low budget, top-down management game, that's fine. I just want to see the environment improve.

In typical fashion, Bethesda gave us the bad version of what I want in Fallout 4 and its settlement system.

I would love a fallout city builder. You could do a ton of cool economy and diplomacy things with it. Trading/defense pacts with neighbors as you go from a settlement to a city like The Hub or a country like the NCR.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Caravan: The Card Game: The Game please.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Someone made a freeware Caravan game for iOS. Pretty clearly copyright infringement when it doesn't necessarily need to be, but it works

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have 1.6 megahours of FNV* and I've never played more than a half dozen hands of Caravan.

*: I think that Steam counts time where the game is "on" but the PC is asleep/hibernated as hours of play, at least I hope so? :ohdear:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Byzantine posted:

You play as a garbageman, and driving the big truck is the tutorial for vehicle physics.

For some reason getting into the truck removes any equipped headgear.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I have 1.6 megahours of FNV* and I've never played more than a half dozen hands of Caravan.
You've deprived yourself of the easiest money in the game

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

For some reason getting into the truck removes any equipped headgear.

:hmmyes:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Caravan is fun and is better than Gwent.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I spun the gently caress out of the roulette wheel though?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Caravan wasn't a bad concept and it was pretty easy to learn, but i wouldn't call it a very good source of money.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Caravan wasn't a bad concept and it was pretty easy to learn, but i wouldn't call it a very good source of money.

Look at this herb who never hustled No Bark Noonan or the NCR ambassador regularly

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The merchants in Mojave Outpost and in Novac play Caravan. You can buy all of their stuff, then play Caravan to easily win your money back. The AI has no idea what it's doing, and I think they all use default decks. I'd enjoy playing it with a human being who would actually be a decent opponent.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

after ten years i finally learned how to play caravan this weekend

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Look at this herb who never hustled No Bark Noonan or the NCR ambassador regularly

Why would I play Caravan if I can kill some DLC mobs for a bunch of high value weapons to sell for more caps than I will ever need :colbert:

Real gamers play Caravan for pleasure

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
By the time your level is in the mid-teens you can rake in caps by the tens of thousands until you're tired of it just fast traveling back and forth between Gun Runners, Goodsprings/Novac/whatever, and that little gulp n'go or whatever south of McCarran; at that last stop you'll usually spawn practically on top of a Legion hit squad which will be carrying brush guns and super sledges and poo poo, which you pick up, repair, and do your fast travel circuit selling it all. An ingame day or two will have passed by the time you get back to the last stop, and there will probably be another Legion lootwagon hit squad ready to go.

If there's a faster way in terms of real time to make money more or less infinitely, I don't know what it is.

e: If you're NCR aligned and/or have done Contreras' fetch quests, he gives a good price for selling loot and has more caps on hand than any other merchant I know of, so it's probably worth the 45 second trip to him. Thankfully there's a door right behind him which you maddeningly can't fast travel to, but at least you can use it to immediately fast travel away once you've cleaned out his caps/bought ammo.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 21, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah yes, I forgot about the Legion gift drops

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Hideo Kojima presents: Detritus Stranding.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Chamale posted:

The merchants in Mojave Outpost and in Novac play Caravan. You can buy all of their stuff, then play Caravan to easily win your money back. The AI has no idea what it's doing, and I think they all use default decks. I'd enjoy playing it with a human being who would actually be a decent opponent.

Johnson Nash is the most cutthroat cardsharp in the Mojave, his deck stacked with kings and jacks, which makes challenging him all the more satisfying.

I always use the 'no caravan limits' mod with my playthroughs, not to hustle money, but because it's fun to play, and only being able to play a few hands is not fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess if there's ever a Fallout that establishes a future from New Vegas House is probably dead, either by the courier or by time.

Can't use the VA.

I've never played Caravan in New Vegas, but I'm not really a fan of Pazaak, Gwent, or Joustus, so I wouldn't have high hopes. It's not easy to make a fun new game, and it's thematically very weird for there to be a collectable card game in some kind of frontier region with no central authority or cooperation between regional authorities, so why wouldn't people just make fake cards to cheat with?

I do like Pokemon the Card Game the Video Game (and its sequel), Megaman Battle Network, Card Hunter, Poker in Red Dead Redemption, Checkers in Assassin's Creed, and the Guild of Dungeoneering.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never played Caravan in New Vegas, but I'm not really a fan of Pazaak, Gwent, or Joustus, so I wouldn't have high hopes. It's not easy to make a fun new game, and it's thematically very weird for there to be a collectable card game in some kind of frontier region with no central authority or cooperation between regional authorities, so why wouldn't people just make fake cards to cheat with?

its just regular playing cards

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're regular playing cards that caravan guards scavenged from a variety of old world decks. That's the whole point.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the thread inspired me to reinstall this again. i figured i'd give it a shot vanilla since my usual annual playthrough involves spending all my time downloading and getting mods to work and very little time actually, you know, playing the game. turns out i never uninstalled whatever mods i was using last time, so now it's a fun guessing game of trying to recognize what's modded!

so far i know i have increased wasteland spawns (holy crap, it's a warzone on either side of nipton), some mod that lets you bring all the companions, and something along the lines of new vegas interiors, i think? it's also been fun really exploring all the familiar locations i usually breeze through and recognize the art and game design i didn't know enough to appreciate a decade ago. i have no idea how navigating bison steve used to give me so much trouble.

what a great game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SlothfulCobra posted:

why wouldn't people just make fake cards to cheat with?

Getting caught with Five Aces didn't turn out too well for Johnny in the New Vegas storyline.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chronojam posted:

Getting caught with Five Aces didn't turn out too well for Johnny in the New Vegas storyline.

Well he was playing against Geckos.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

After my last playthrough fizzled out, I decided to Begin Again :v: with a fresh playthrough. Some thoughts about is so far:

- With the mod that fixes the splash damage of explosives, it's been really fun using it, especially on loving Cazadores.
- The grenade launcher also makes stealth kills against Powder Gangers or Legion members that are closely bunched together pretty easy. Since everyone dies at the same moment, no one's there as a witness so I wouldn't take a negative rap from them just yet.
- I tried out the NCR Emergency Radio for the very first time and summoned a ranger companion. It's really funny how she wiped out almost all of the Legion in Nipton all on her lonesome. For some reason her Legion kills don't affect my reputation, so it's nice to be able to still get the Lucky Sunglasses from the Legion's safehouse.
- The BoS being under lockdown in their bunker for years feels way too real in the year 2020.
- Head Scribe Taggart snatching up a teenage girl as his assistant is really :stare: in light of Avellone being a sex creep. The BoS doctor even says that everyone in the bunker knows what's happening except the girl in question.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

amigolupus posted:

- I tried out the NCR Emergency Radio for the very first time and summoned a ranger companion. It's really funny how she wiped out almost all of the Legion in Nipton all on her lonesome. For some reason her Legion kills don't affect my reputation, so it's nice to be able to still get the Lucky Sunglasses from the Legion's safehouse.

Using the NCR radio to whittle down Legion and Powder Ganger encampments is always good fun.

Another fun one is watching the Legion repeatedly fail to ambush 3 caravans on their way to Novac.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know if anybody posted this in this thread back when it was originally made, but I just discovered this video. It's very interesting and talks about Fallout New Vegas.

https://youtu.be/jwVN95XfOPM

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Replaying and realizing how many of my usual choices - namely, wiping out the legion west of the river before reaching House and / or adopting Boone as a companion - restrict the game.

I always kill Vulpes (didn’t even let him talk this time) but I have that syndrome RPG players get where they stick with the first companions they run into. It turns out that the most enjoyable way of playing the game is doing the Legion’s quest line in reverse - as in, being an agent saboteur against the legion, wiping out encampments man by man from stealth to maintain a high rep. All of that’s impossible when you have Boone on hand, obviously.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Basic Chunnel posted:

Replaying and realizing how many of my usual choices - namely, wiping out the legion west of the river before reaching House and / or adopting Boone as a companion - restrict the game.

I always kill Vulpes (didn’t even let him talk this time) but I have that syndrome RPG players get where they stick with the first companions they run into. It turns out that the most enjoyable way of playing the game is doing the Legion’s quest line in reverse - as in, being an agent saboteur against the legion, wiping out encampments man by man from stealth to maintain a high rep. All of that’s impossible when you have Boone on hand, obviously.

I tried doing a pro-Legion FNV playthrough but I felt like a legit piece of poo poo (I mean more than I normally do, obvs.), same with the loving Stormcloaks. Just can't do it.

:shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Making Boone the first companion most players see was an odd choice. I didn't even understand what was going on when the legion started aggroing me as I was looking for the boat to ride.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Raul was my first companion. I don't know how I survived Black Mountain. I guess I really wanted to hang out with super mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sunny should have been available as a companion: she was nice. I always felt real bad if she doggo got killed though?

:shrug: