Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pollyanna posted:

Marine has the best voice and voice acting talent of Gen 3 and she is genuinely cool as poo poo, she should get more attention. :colbert:

Marine is pretty wildly popular, honestly. She had 130k+ viewers for a costume reveal stream of all things. She's in the upper echelon of subscribers and she's pretty frequently clipped and subtitled by various translators because of her meme power; "I'm horny" and other stuff like that has made her one of the most memed members of hololive period.

If anyone in gen 3 can be said to be the forgotten one, I think it's Flare, who gets almost no translator attention outside of collabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Potsticker posted:

Who ever heard of a time travelling Scot anyway.

I want to let you know this got a laugh out of me.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Kanos posted:

If anyone in gen 3 can be said to be the forgotten one, I think it's Flare, who gets almost no translator attention outside of collabs.

Flare is really nice and has a dorky appeal and deserves more exposure frankly

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Kanos posted:

Yeah, the early gens absolutely did not have an identity as interlinked groups. That pretty much started with Hololive Gamers(who were specifically made with the idea of doing group stuff a fair amount) and Gen 3.

There was a gen 2 offline collab recently, and they mentioned that it was the first time they had ever done an offline gathering as a group, and how gen 2 technically has a group discord but some of them hadn't even looked at it in a year before they decided to organize the offline collab. They talk to each other on a one to one basis constantly, but they never really leaned into the "generation" thing like the newer gens have.

Gen 3 was kind of an aberration for a bit, though - they seem to be really close by holo standards. I remember one big collab where they got all of gen 2, gen 3, and most of gen 4 in there and had basically a quiz show where they'd ask a generation member questions about one of their members, and the others had to answer, and gen 3 was basically 100% correct. Gen 4 doesn't seem as immediately close and interlinked as 3 does, but then gen 5 whips around real strong and they are specifically real life friends(which is why the Aloe stuff hit them real hard personally).

The Gen 2 offline collab is a really good wholesome stream. Ayame was the only one who automatically assumed that everyone would gather together for the collab. Not even Subaru who organized the event was sure everyone would attend. They were almost right if they didn't drag Shion out of her house because she once again fell asleep.

Brunom1 posted:

Gen 4 strikes me as being kind of in the middle of the road, so to speak.

Coco, Kanata, and Watame are clearly very close to each other and could well be considered to be a group proper, but Towa and Luna mostly seem to be doing their own things. Hell, I'm all but sure Luna has done more collabs with Matsuri than with everyone else in Gen 4.

I remember Coco talking about this topic on one of her streams. How Towa wasn't as close to Watame, Kanata and her due to her schedule and not having very much time open to collab. Luna's situation is a bit more complicated and I think she herself was trying to prove that she could do things on her own without relying on others. Though now that Luna is more confident in herself I wonder if she'll collab with Gen 4 more.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

mightygerm posted:

Kinda unreal that Mori has the number 1 hip hop album on US iTunes right now

One morning you go to your lame rear end English class your parents forced you to go to, only to find your teacher has the number 1 hip/hop album in Japan. What a trip that is.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kanos posted:

Marine is pretty wildly popular, honestly. She had 130k+ viewers for a costume reveal stream of all things. She's in the upper echelon of subscribers and she's pretty frequently clipped and subtitled by various translators because of her meme power; "I'm horny" and other stuff like that has made her one of the most memed members of hololive period.

Flare’s “problem” is she’s normal in a generation of characters. Marine is super lit 17 year old boomer. Pekora is a big ego laughing rabbit. Rushia is either a sweet cinnamon roll or a total psycho. Noel is big oppai ASMR queen. Flare is just Flare, but she does have a really nice voice. Heard she is popular with women tho, so that’s something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I can't believe Watson and I are favorite band buddies

I might have to sub to her membership now

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Haachama asmr link keeps giving me temporary errors :(

e: It finally finished!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 22, 2020

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Liar Lyre posted:

Flare’s “problem” is she’s normal in a generation of characters. Marine is super lit 17 year old boomer. Pekora is a big ego laughing rabbit. Rushia is either a sweet cinnamon roll or a total psycho. Noel is big oppai ASMR queen. Flare is just Flare, but she does have a really nice voice. Heard she is popular with women tho, so that’s something.

Ah, the curse of being the straight man in the middle of a bunch of comics (which is also why she works so well with Fubuki and Watame, too).

An essential part in the act, but tough to make work on its own.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Sindai posted:

Moona is really taking off now that the english-speaking audience is aware she exists. She's growing almost as fast as Korone and the non-Gura holoENs.

Kind of unfortunate that she's got to take ~2 weeks off soon, right after she started taking off.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

I can't help but wonder how the overall hip-hop community is reacting to an anime girl coming out of nowhere and taking the top spot.

I looked around a bit and stopped because the reactions I saw were so negative. Basically they say she's not a rapper, what she does is not hiphop at all and that her singing, beats and basically everything is horrible.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Shark is speedrunning the new Amenesia game because she hates it. Oh well.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I looked around a bit and stopped because the reactions I saw were so negative. Basically they say she's not a rapper, what she does is not hiphop at all and that her singing, beats and basically everything is horrible.

I mean, she's likely taking cues off JP Rap which I would imagine has its own set of rules and whatnot. I don't think it'd translate well to folks that are expecting traditionally US-style music.

(Not that I know the first thing about rap, JP or US).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That doesn't sound good for Mori's Very Online Imposter Syndrome brain.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fat_Cow posted:

I didn't get the impression that she hates the game from her first stream, just that it creeps the hell out of her and she wants to rush the water level because the water monster in the Amnesia games is extremely scary to her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fat_Cow posted:

Nothing is really going to change. She stopped reading the in-game lore like a third of the way into yesterday's stream and was trying to run through it as fast as possible already, with mixed results. That's also how she played Outlast.

She just gets spooked as gently caress and wants to get through as fast as possible to avoid being spooked.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Haachama asmr link keeps giving me temporary errors :(

Its too bad the somethingawful torrent tracker no longer exists. I'll throw it on google drive and see if that works.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like Mori's music. To my untrained ears it's closer to along the lines of the songs I like from Eminem where there's fun wordplay, but I've only listened to like 10 rap songs and 5 of them are Eminem.

Jerkface posted:

Its too bad the somethingawful torrent tracker no longer exists. I'll throw it on google drive and see if that works.

It's all good! It finally cooperated!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Artia on a streaming frenzy. 3rd EN stream in 3 days. She playing Overwatch on Twitch ATM. Also I think she’s listening to Imagine Dragons???

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
you can also just pay hachaama her 5 bucks to watch the asmr video on youtube

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Revolver Bunker posted:

I remember Coco talking about this topic on one of her streams. How Towa wasn't as close to Watame, Kanata and her due to her schedule and not having very much time open to collab. Luna's situation is a bit more complicated and I think she herself was trying to prove that she could do things on her own without relying on others. Though now that Luna is more confident in herself I wonder if she'll collab with Gen 4 more.

Pekora also talked about Luna. Apparently, Gen 3 were taking care of Gen 4 and Pekora was suppose to be Luna's off-gen collab partner once the restriction was lifted, but Pekora couldn't stand Luna's character, so it never worked out. Pekora talked about it when Luna started gravitating to Matsuri and how happy she was for Luna and how bad she felt that things didn't work out between them.

Keep in mind that this was before Pekora had invited anyone to collab with ever. As far as I know, Pekora has only ever initiated a collab invite once and that was with Okayu. Not even with Miko. Socially awkward rabbit was trying her best.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
DEAD BEATS (the third song to be specific) is making me nostalgic for Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raenir Salazar posted:

DEAD BEATS (the third song to be specific) is making me nostalgic for Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars.

Isn't the third song Live Again

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh wow you weren't kidding

Tae posted:

Isn't the third song Live Again

nah live again is the 4th and last one

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

oh noooo polkas singing secret base T^T

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been looking through Urban dictionary for like half an hour now and I still have no idea what poggers is.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
an offshoot phrase of an offshoot phrase of a twitch emoticon used to indicate excitement

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's unfortunate, and also exactly what I expected. Oh well, humans gonna human.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been looking through Urban dictionary for like half an hour now and I still have no idea what poggers is.

"oh poo poo", "hype", a general expression of excitement.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Raenir Salazar posted:

it stems from "pog" which was originally "play of game" which stems from what Twitch chat would spam when the streamer does something impressive. it's almost certainly from Overwatch

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Pollyanna posted:

I can't help but wonder how the overall hip-hop community is reacting to an anime girl coming out of nowhere and taking the top spot.

Given that it's topping the charts, there's clearly no shortage of people liking it. I'm sure searching around will be able to find you entire internet comment sections full of people looking for reasons to complain, but I wouldn't put an overwhelming amount of stock in that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Haters gonna hate.

Your post made me think of this which nicely ties in the New Zealand accent conversation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zI3_pnUU3k

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lyer posted:

One morning you go to your lame rear end English class your parents forced you to go to, only to find your teacher has the number 1 hip/hop album in Japan. What a trip that is.
I think I've read that light novel.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's no substantive difference between Eminem and Kagura Mea anyway, so I imagine the hip hop community is used to it

in this metaphor, i think norio is probably dr. dre

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
The funniest thing to me about "poggers" is that the guy in the emote turned out to be a huge Covid truther who then complained that a subreddit wasn't racist enough.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT RAPPERS ARE INVINCIBLE

WE'RE VINCIBLE

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the day after my birthday is not my birthday, mum

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Falls Down Stairs posted:

it stems from "pog" which was originally "play of game" which stems from what Twitch chat would spam when the streamer does something impressive. it's almost certainly from Overwatch

Ah that makes sense now.

FractalSandwich posted:

I think I've read that light novel.

Same.

On a semi-related note, I'd really be interested in an anime/LN where some otherworld heroine gets reverse-isekai'd into our world and takes up Twitch streaming while fighting monsters, stopping mid fight to thank people for subbing.

And now given the current VTuber climate bonus points if they're actually voiced by actual vtubers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

A modification of PogChamp, which is that twitch emote that gets spammed when something cool or hype happens. It's one of the staples of twitch chat culture.

quote:

The PogChamp emote shows streamer Ryan Gutierrez, known as Gootecks, making an exaggeratedly surprised face, his mouth open and eyes wide. The image is pulled from an outtake from Gutierrez’s YouTube series (with fellow gamer Mike Ross) Counter Cross TV. The outtake, uploaded in November 2010, includes Gutierrez’s surprised reaction to a cameraman bumping his tripod.

wrt why it's called pogchamp:

quote:

The name PogChamp comes from another video, uploaded in 2011, featuring Gutierrez and Ross. In a promo video, called “Pogs Championship,” for a MadCatz-brand joystick, the two play Pogs, the disk-flipping game popular in the 1990s. In the end, Gutierrez wins by dropping the joystick on the stack of Pogs, becoming the Pog champion.

It was added to twitch in 2012.
It's actually got nothing to do with play of game, or overwatch for that matter. Pogchamp predates Overwatch by 4 years.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 22, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

fukk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kyte posted:

It's actually got nothing to do with play of game, or overwatch for that matter. Pogchamp predates Overwatch by 4 years.

This legitimately blew my mind