Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I find, exactly like driving on twisty roads, that there are two classes of people going slow: those who are anxious to get out of your way, and those who just don’t care. Less of the latter class with mountain biking, but I use the same technique as driving when I run across them.

If it’s not safe to pass, I just stop for a few minutes to let them get away and clear the fun bits. Repeat as necessary.

Presumably this doesn’t work if it super crowded and it doesn’t help if you were close to PRing a segment and now you can’t, but I would much rather just wait for people to leave than try to engage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
“Hey y’all, group of 2 coming up behind you. Can we pass when there’s a good time on the trail? Thanks so much. Have a great day!”

Maybe ring a bell if you have one as you’re coming up. This works for like 99% of the time unless they have headphones in but that’s not really ever been a problem on singletrack ime

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

"one behind" because I'm so lonely, then "have a good ride"

Usually people apologize and get flustered but I'm never that worried about 5 seconds extra on my strava and tell them no worries. Tons of new folks on the trails so be nice to them and keep it chill.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I call out because people's ears point forward and it's hard to hear people coming up behind you. I usually give them a heads up about what I'm going to do and when if it's narrow or I need to wait.

It sucks that many times I'll say something like "I'm behind you but keep going until the trail widens and I'll pass you in a good spot" just to have someone stop at a terrible spot and kill momentum for both of us.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

I shout "TO VALHALLA" and just shoulder people out of the way.

Real answer is I generally say something along the lines of: rider up, passing when you have the chance etc etc. Please and thank you tend to go a long way too.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, my experience is that almost everyone I meet on the trails are polite and happy to move out of the way (as I am for those faster than me) and I rarely employ my "just wait for a bit" strategy. Most people on the biking trails are there for the same reasons we are; to have fun.

I do wish I had a better strategy for dealing with people walking on DH trails with headphones on, but I expect there's nothing much to be done there beyond "look where you're going" which is good advice anyway :)

edit: vvv I've only ever heard "just me" or "x more" when passing people going the other way.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 21, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

h3r0n posted:

I shout "TO VALHALLA" and just shoulder people out of the way.

Real answer is I generally say something along the lines of: rider up, passing when you have the chance etc etc. Please and thank you tend to go a long way too.

Rider up is usually when you’re catching up to another rider in front with a group behind you. This might be confusing if you’re telling someone this as you’re coming up behind them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

What do you all do when you come up fast behind a slower rider? Do you patiently wait for them to notice you and move out of the way or do you say something? Yesterday I felt bad because I was going fast and quickly found myself right behind two slow riders and one of them seemed startled. I think I overestimate the sound my freehub makes and maybe others can't hear it against the sound of their own bikes. I wasn't being a dick or anything and when they scooted over I thanked them and told them to enjoy their ride. I was only behind them for a few seconds.

If the trail allows, in past instances I have said something like, "I'm going to pass on your left once the trail opens up", but this was a very tight trail without much passing opportunity. I'll be honest in saying I was very much in the zone and really wanted to pass these riders quickly to keep my momentum.

This probably applies more to bike parks but if it's a green or blue trail the beginners have the right of way and if I come up on a slow rider (or child, family, etc) I try to stay far enough back that they don't hear me and can enjoy themselves. If I'm on a blue or green I'm generally warming up or connecting to another part of the mountain so I don't mind just taking it easy and looking around and enjoying being out there more than trying to pin it. If they notice me still and pull over I usually thank them

On blacks or double blacks I generally find that most people are super anxious to not be in the way and will loudly apologize and pull off immediately when they hear another bike behind them, even when it's not a great spot to pass. I have a gopro video on my PC of me coming up to someone who was stopped at a feature on Schleyer who turned and saw me coming, then took off and had a small crash trying to rush over a feature and I feed bad about it. If I come up onto someone and they don't notice me yet I just pull over and hang out for a couple min to let them get further down the trail to a junction where most people pull over for a few minutes to chat and catch their breath. If I'm coming up on someone on a trail where the speeds are high and it's possible to literally land on top of a slower rider (A-line, Joyride, Dirt Merchant etc) I'll generally just call out "passing on your left - thanks!" but I have a loud enough freehub that 90% of the time they've already pulled off.

If someone is way off line on a tech feature or there's a group stopped looking at line choices etc I might say something like "I usually come down this way" or something like that if it feels appropriate. In my whole life I've never had any conflict with any other rider about passing them/being passed so I guess I'm lucky.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My only annoyance about it has been coming about more lately, people who get mad when newbies don't get out of their way fast enough, on the DH/technical portions of our relatively flat local trail systems. Was sweeping for a newbie friend out last week and some folks let themselves get all the way up my rear end yelling "let us pass!" and I get more and more annoyed to the point of slowing down deliberately and calling back "loving WHERE?"

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Rider up is usually when you’re catching up to another rider in front with a group behind you. This might be confusing if you’re telling someone this as you’re coming up behind them.

I've mostly seen / heard it in races. I took it as a shortened "A rider is coming up on you"

TO VALHALLA it is then.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car Hater posted:

My only annoyance about it has been coming about more lately, people who get mad when newbies don't get out of their way fast enough, on the DH/technical portions of our relatively flat local trail systems. Was sweeping for a newbie friend out last week and some folks let themselves get all the way up my rear end yelling "let us pass!" and I get more and more annoyed to the point of slowing down deliberately and calling back "loving WHERE?"

I tend to notice this a lot more on flatter trail systems where you get XC type riders. It also will be Saturday morning with a full parking lot, so maybe not the time to be going for that speedy PR...

I usually just say, rider behind can I pass if you don't mind. If I know the trail doesn't have a good spot to pass I usually just pull off and wait a bit.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

spwrozek posted:

I tend to notice this a lot more on flatter trail systems where you get XC type riders. It also will be Saturday morning with a full parking lot, so maybe not the time to be going for that speedy PR...

I usually just say, rider behind can I pass if you don't mind. If I know the trail doesn't have a good spot to pass I usually just pull off and wait a bit.

As usual, Strava was a mistake

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If the only thing I care about is finding routes and getting directions, how's Komoot? Better than all the other app alternatives?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My dog bit spwrozek immediately after he brought us some liquor, I dont know what scale of atrocity it is, but somewhere between the holocaust and Stalin purges, especially since he didn't skimp

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

My dog bit spwrozek immediately after he brought us some liquor, I dont know what scale of atrocity it is, but somewhere between the holocaust and Stalin purges, especially since he didn't skimp

Mostly just a sock grab.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

feelix posted:

As usual, Strava was a mistake

nah

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

thatguy posted:

As someone who has to fight to get spwrozek to even meet up for a beer, GOOD DOG

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
He did say

which is pretty nice

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

bamhand posted:

If the only thing I care about is finding routes and getting directions, how's Komoot? Better than all the other app alternatives?

Seconding this question

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
For MTB routing, I've never used Komoot, but TrailForks, MTB Project both have ways to look for loops/rides. You can always use Strava by finding segments you want to ride then looking at the leaderboard to see what people did.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm particularly interested in the directions with the routes. This is more for gravel/dirt honestly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

me your dad posted:

What do you all do when you come up fast behind a slower rider? Do you patiently wait for them to notice you and move out of the way or do you say something? Yesterday I felt bad because I was going fast and quickly found myself right behind two slow riders and one of them seemed startled. I think I overestimate the sound my freehub makes and maybe others can't hear it against the sound of their own bikes. I wasn't being a dick or anything and when they scooted over I thanked them and told them to enjoy their ride. I was only behind them for a few seconds.

If the trail allows, in past instances I have said something like, "I'm going to pass on your left once the trail opens up", but this was a very tight trail without much passing opportunity. I'll be honest in saying I was very much in the zone and really wanted to pass these riders quickly to keep my momentum.

As someone who recently got passed by some mountain bikes while on my gravel bike on a downhill fire road, I heard their freehubs but it didn't immediately click to me that it was another bike because there's a lot of random noises sometimes. When I realized it was a bike it kinda startled me for a second.

So...just call out. "Rider!" "Rider back!" "Coming up behind you!" whatever you feel comfortable with.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

He did say

which is pretty nice

Whoa, cats out of the bag now.

The dude who rode it with me texted me later that night and said he was loving stoked all day. We didn't even hit anything, it was just the idea of it.

XIII posted:

As someone who has to fight to get spwrozek to even meet up for a beer, GOOD DOG

after our ruby session...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

spwrozek posted:

after our ruby session...

Beers have Electrolytes. Its science.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I make a bunch of bike noise as I slow down behind them, and then ask for a pass once we can both see a wide spot.

Thinking of getting a trail bell because some of the stuff here is two way or poorly signed one way and sightlines get short at times.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

That timberbell was a godsend for me wrt blind corners/poor lines of sight. I'm still very much not the fastest rider, and approach blind corners as if there's someone else there as a rule, but I've got a ton of thank yous from other bikers and hikers for having that on. It's not going to solve everything, but it's a definite improvement over relying on my (now sadly quiet) freehub.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah a bunch of times on my old MTB I was really glad my kid's bike has a loudass freehub. Mine was just way too quiet.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I use a bell for commuting but I thought it would be out of place for mountain biking. Upon further thought the correct decision is a Bluetooth speaker blasting Iron Maiden.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 22, 2020

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Not a fun thing to find when cleaning my bike. It appears to be a crack on the seat tube. It's a steel frame. I can probably get it welded, right? It's not exactly a critical failure point.

What's the risk in one more ride? Think it's okay?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 22, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks like a pretty good place access wise if nothing else. Will probably need to clean it up with a dremel on the inside afterwards I'd guess.

I wouldn't ride it any more than you have to if you're seated a lot. Sucks. :(

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

I wouldn't ride it any more than you have to if you're seated a lot. Sucks. :(

It's a single speed so I stand more than I sit :)

I'm going to hunt down a welder. If any DC area goons know anyone, let me know.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

poo poo, it got you this far, yolo

i'm guessing the crack formed where the bottom of the clamp usually sits?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The position of the collar is its normal location. I didn't move the collar prior to taking the photo.

I may try lowering the seat a little too help give it some strength. I have a ride planned this Sunday but I can stand for a lot of it.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

me your dad posted:

It's a single speed so I stand more than I sit :)

I'm going to hunt down a welder. If any DC area goons know anyone, let me know.

We have a welder working for us in Damascus, if you want to drive 6 hours. He's an ultra-perfectionist. He normally live in Buena Vista.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
It’s supposed to hit single digit lows over the next three nights... I don’t need to be concerned about leaving my bike in the garage, do I? It’s insulated but still gets pretty cold out there

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yoohoo posted:

It’s supposed to hit single digit lows over the next three nights... I don’t need to be concerned about leaving my bike in the garage, do I? It’s insulated but still gets pretty cold out there

Nope.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

thatguy posted:

We have a welder working for us in Damascus, if you want to drive 6 hours. He's an ultra-perfectionist. He normally live in Buena Vista.

Thanks - I started reaching out to some local welders on Craigslist to see if I can find something closer. If all else fails, my best friend has a black Jabberwocky frame and he has all but abandoned mountain biking so I'm sure he'll sell me his at a good cost if the repair is too much (though I can't imagine it'll be more than $200).

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been in a place where my bike isn't in my living room for 6 years.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

yoohoo posted:

If you're cold, they're cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yoohoo posted:

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been in a place where my bike isn't in my living room for 6 years.

Some of us ride in snow. Remember that fat bikes exist. :)