Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nessus posted:

I believe it's based on your skill level with the individual killer to some extent, which is perhaps some bullshit because the difference between various survivors vs. various killers will be quite different. And it will probably eventually widen the parameters so that you get a game in a reasonable amount of time.

I do not think this is true based off my first Myers game being against some rank 2-3 kitted out survivors.

What I think happens, is that the search gap widens quite a bit when matchmaking takes long enough. I'm at Rank 2 and if I get a long queue time I generally get a significantly easier match with like, Rank 6s+ and no decisive strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anyone wanna play a game? I am curious how my killer stacks up against gooners. Or a SWF group would be a blast.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 22, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah sometimes it sucks, but a Rank 4 and his SWF buddies accusing you of tunneling and saying “no ggs” after you wipe them all with only one gen done feels SO good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They are planning on eventually implementing skill ranks per killer, but ATM matchmaking is very wonky.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

One thing I didn't realize at first, and has been extremely helpful with my enjoyment of the game, is that you can close the chat on PC. I rarely open it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

One thing I didn't realize at first, and has been extremely helpful with my enjoyment of the game, is that you can close the chat on PC. I rarely open it.

Why would you turn off the chat? You're making idiots mad. That's like the best part of the game.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

PMush Perfect posted:

Why would you turn off the chat? You're making idiots mad. That's like the best part of the game.

I totally get the appeal, but I can accept that I'm making them mad without seeing their messages. It's better for my mental health. :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

I totally get the appeal, but I can accept that I'm making them mad without seeing their messages. It's better for my mental health. :)
That's fair. :hmmyes:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The only appeal to chat, for me, is when the one random a-dozen-ranks-below-his-allies survivor gets away and in post game you can say "Why'd you let them die Steve? They were counting on you."

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nessus posted:

I believe it's based on your skill level with the individual killer to some extent, which is perhaps some bullshit because the difference between various survivors vs. various killers will be quite different. And it will probably eventually widen the parameters so that you get a game in a reasonable amount of time.

They removed that when it made everything even more of a shitshow than normal. Unless they turned it back on again.

The real answer is rank is more of a suggestion for matchmaking and really they don't want people hanging around queues for too long.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The problem is match making probably has fewer killers even at a 4:1 ratio and the players with a natural draw towards killer are at huge risk of being smothered in the crib by repeated shadow ninja super looper coordinated coms multi-gen cross-map 4 escape shut outs. I feel like the only reason I've done as well as I have is that I had helpful experience from a lot of Spy hours in Team Fort 2(mindgames, LoS breaking) and a keener than average interest in killer that led me to watch a lot of pro killer play. I'd have not been aware of decisive strike counterplay for a long time without watching Otz, for example, and I've run into steady reds since rank 12-10. And I still have to train myself to remember it.

You can also have bad queue streaks or timing. I tried Doctor out for 10 games two days before reset at night and had a 9 game loss streak. If you don't have major motivation to improve that could be the end of your interest right there. I took up keeping simple notes and score card of my killer performance, noting when the ranks are unusual, I make good plays/reads or when I play hard, lose but safety pip(brutal.) Keeps my head clear and temper completely chilled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Otz is the light in the darkness that this game's community really needs. I'd argue he's unquestionably the best killer player in the world right now, and he's such a cool dude.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Killer really requires a certain mindset, mental fortitude, and flexibility to truly enjoy playing regularly. It requires so much more effort and concentration compared to playing as survivor where you have 3 other people to split the burden with that it can really burn someone out. Also that ultimately playing the most efficiently can oft times lead to complaints from survivors because it tends toward less sporting.

I find a lot of the major issues lie in that there is a big focus from the game telling you to a 4k when really a 2 or 3k game is totally fine and can often be quite fun! That and competitive spirits can really just get so invested that you get mad at the smallest things when... it's just a game bro.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Evil Kit posted:

Killer really requires a certain mindset, mental fortitude, and flexibility to truly enjoy playing regularly. It requires so much more effort and concentration compared to playing as survivor where you have 3 other people to split the burden with that it can really burn someone out. Also that ultimately playing the most efficiently can oft times lead to complaints from survivors because it tends toward less sporting.

I find a lot of the major issues lie in that there is a big focus from the game telling you to a 4k when really a 2 or 3k game is totally fine and can often be quite fun! That and competitive spirits can really just get so invested that you get mad at the smallest things when... it's just a game bro.

I really feel like this is the biggest thing. Personally I play for the bloodpoints, I only give a light dang about rank, so as long as I get 25000 BP (before BBQ of course :v:) i consider it a complete success. I also try really hard to triple hook everyone, partially because it's more fun for everyone that way but mostly for the cash

gently caress Entities get money

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Evil Kit posted:

I find a lot of the major issues lie in that there is a big focus from the game telling you to a 4k when really a 2 or 3k game is totally fine and can often be quite fun!

Truth. If I get 2K I consider that a win. Everything else is extra.

e: I'm also aware that I've reached a point where the Survivors are going to be much more difficult. I just hit Rank 12 on Killer and I'm less than 100 hours played. I'm going to get stomped regularly and I'm okay with that as I improve.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pinwiz11 posted:

e: I'm also aware that I've reached a point where the Survivors are going to be much more difficult. I just hit Rank 12 on Killer and I'm less than 100 hours played. I'm going to get stomped regularly and I'm okay with that as I improve.

The learning curve of this game is weird. For genuine new players I think it goes killer > survivors from like rank 20 to rank 13-12ish, then survivors > killer till around rank 7 or 6 where it starts to killer = survivor with a heavier slant toward killer or survivor based on map and experience with the particular killer you're playing as and against.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Killers should be able to see 1 perk each survivor has for every 5 ranks down the survivor is.

Yes, this means if I get queued up into a 12, 16, 4, 8, I should be able to see 1, 0, 3, 2 of their perks in the lobby, and also know generally who I'm dealing with rank-wise.

Survivors should not get anything additional.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Otz actually has a good videos on the winning mindset, but essentially: you're not going to 4k every game, and quite often you'll 0k. Like, if I play Legion with the best add-ons I have a pretty good chance of the 3k-4k, but way lower odds without them. If I play Burger King Myers I'm going to get owned. Deathslinger? I can regularly get 3k-4k with the right perk load out and bad/no add-ons, but I'm also much more experienced at him.

The Winning Mindset is more about your overall play results over time, and thinking about how well you do based on:
Experience with a Killer
Add Ons used
Current Rank

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Otz is amazing, after watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKQXO7yFbLA

I pulled off 3 4-sac games in a row.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

he's been going for 50-win streaks (4k or 3+ hatch) with no-addons on every single killer

so far he's successfully done legion, hag, freddy, and pyramid head

he got close on plague (45) and just today uploaded a few highlights from a 35-win streak on clown

https://youtu.be/qbmEipMuup4

dude is a legend and (as far as i've seen) lovely on his streams

e: to tie in to the discussion above, i absolutely agree that a 4k isnt necessary to consider a game a win. honestly if everyone has fun and gets a chance to make some cool plays, i consider that a win.

rox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 22, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hot take: With how many perks there are in the game now, they should eliminate perk ranks. As is, you're incentivized not to unlock midteir teachable perks to avoid clogging your webs, which leaves you unable to experiment with them. If perks had a single level, you'd unlock three perks in the time it currently takes to fully unlock one, so it wouln't feel as bad when a "garbage" one shows up.

Discuss.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

rydiafan posted:

Hot take: With how many perks there are in the game now, they should eliminate perk ranks. As is, you're incentivized not to unlock midteir teachable perks to avoid clogging your webs, which leaves you unable to experiment with them. If perks had a single level, you'd unlock three perks in the time it currently takes to fully unlock one, so it wouln't feel as bad when a "garbage" one shows up.

Discuss.
Considering that every survivor I queue into has all purple perks now while I'm still trying to claw at rank 2 of a lot of poo poo: Strong agree.

Also take like half the "burn this to make it be this map" offerings from the bloodweb, they suck, I hate them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

0K, Displeased = I really did something wrong, what can I do differently?
0K-1K, Brutal = I did my best, they were better.
2K = Draw.
3K = Killer wins. If you don't satisfy hatch spawn requirements or intentionally slug the third and hunt the fourth the hatch is pretty much RNG.
4K = Great Killer game, patting myself on the back.
Adept Killer = Hooting, hollering, etc.

Shift expectations a bit depending on survivor DCs and exceptional plays. I think presently I can only see myself playing Nice Killer if they have an early DC. I'll let the fourth go. Of course the first time I did this the Professional Looper Guy who got my attention as often as possible told me to kill myself in the post game. :roflolmao:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The issue with rating performance on kills is sometimes you get good maps and sometimes you get bad maps, and it's pretty rare you get a well balanced one. Like Trapper on a bad map, you don't get 3 kills you get given 3 kills.

I think the best killer mindset is to ignore kills entirely and just focus on if you're enjoying yourself and if you're playing well. That last bit's also crucial because honestly some of your best matches aren't going to come from you playing well but from survivors playing like idiots. If you 4K you still need to consider if you actually played well or if they just played poorly.

rydiafan posted:

Discuss.

Nah that's correct

The real hot take is they need to stop releasing 3 perks with every new character and probably just stop tying perks to new characters to begin with. It was an alright idea when the cast was small but at this point every DLC is like 1 good perk and 1 perk that might eventually be good after tweaking, and then a bunch of garbage to fill slots. Like Mad Grit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 22, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mad Grit is one of those perks I sometimes trick myself into thinking is great, because I'll face a SWF team that's all about body blocking the hook.

Then I remember the other 99% of games where it would be useless.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
poo poo even then just drop and slug. If they wanna waste all their time and resources taking hits go for it, a greedy SWF is the best slowdown perk.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I reflect on most games, though haven't noticed a significant trend of misplay on my end outside of getting totally outclassed and being unable to find people at all, total ninja stuff, pushing me towards learning some info perks. Maps are funny, I think I'm an outlier. Like you know how most killers hate Ormond? I love it because the survivors on the white filter/color palette are so easy for me to see. Coldwind is difficult because of the corn rows, interior maps are always a breeze, etc. Just the way my eyes focus.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Definitely agree on the perk tier thing but if you only had to unlock one level of a perk instead of three, you wouldn't need to churn through so many bloodwebs, which would reduce the grind, which they don't want.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The visibility issues on Ormond can be bad, but its real issue is that the central structure is both extremely safe and always accessible. It's like a smaller Disturbed Ward, although they at least did something about how safe the Ward was.

Interior maps are pretty much always good for killer unless you're playing one of the killers they're bad for like Huntress or Trapper. Give or take Midwich and The Game, which are also boring maps.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Definitely agree on the perk tier thing but if you only had to unlock one level of a perk instead of three, you wouldn't need to churn through so many bloodwebs, which would reduce the grind, which they don't want.

I mean obviously this is their logic, but the battle pass already gives plenty of reason to grind. Also, if everyone had all perks on all their characters sooner, they'd be encouraged to experiment more and play for *gasp* fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah totally. And if I had all perks on all characters I'd probably buy more cosmetics instead of only buying cosmetics for the couple of survivors I play as (because I have all the perks on them).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Just had a game on noted terrible map meat plant, where every survivor was playing Jake with the same cosmetics. It was awful except that I got a kill and ended the round by asking "is it racist to say you all look alike?"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I played in a group of four Sweater Bills once. It was with randos and 3 of us happened to be already set as that, so the fourth changed.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Other than being unable to keep track of who had been hooked and how many times, the worst part was just that I've done meat plant like twice and I kept getting lost in the basement and getting caught in loop chases. I generally hate multi-floor maps (might start dodging Hawkins lab and see what happens).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There are signs on some of the walls to help point you to stairs. The trick to The Game's pallets is they're pretty much all safe so you need to just kick them as soon as they're dropped. That's really it. If some one wants to drag you to that TV room above the showers, ignore them and gently caress off unless you're sure you can down them quickly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I still have occasional nightmares about the four Blendette game on Yamaoka.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doomykins posted:

The problem is match making probably has fewer killers even at a 4:1 ratio and the players with a natural draw towards killer are at huge risk of being smothered in the crib by repeated shadow ninja super looper coordinated coms multi-gen cross-map 4 escape shut outs. I feel like the only reason I've done as well as I have is that I had helpful experience from a lot of Spy hours in Team Fort 2(mindgames, LoS breaking) and a keener than average interest in killer that led me to watch a lot of pro killer play. I'd have not been aware of decisive strike counterplay for a long time without watching Otz, for example, and I've run into steady reds since rank 12-10. And I still have to train myself to remember it.

You can also have bad queue streaks or timing. I tried Doctor out for 10 games two days before reset at night and had a 9 game loss streak. If you don't have major motivation to improve that could be the end of your interest right there. I took up keeping simple notes and score card of my killer performance, noting when the ranks are unusual, I make good plays/reads or when I play hard, lose but safety pip(brutal.) Keeps my head clear and temper completely chilled.
A lot of why I was able to enjoy Killer was that I started playing during the 4th anniversary event so I kept getting flooded with cake slices, so even when I was bad I got a lot of BP. That also meant I got a lot of the good add ons, which I spent pretty recklessly, especially on Mike; I am actually trying to train more by only using the brown ones for now, and dude's a lot harder when you aren't juicing.

I also defined a 'win' for myself early on as "I kill one guy." As long as I can do that, I feel like I succeeded, even if that's the baseline competency.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vpgy40xiQ

Extremely relevant.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If I hadn't watched this immediately before the 4 Jake game I would probably be tearing my eyes out right now. As it stands, I got both a daily AND a rift quest done, so, win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Trapper Thoughts are more addictive than good Nurse Blinks. :kimchi: Map was Black Swamp, caught four survivors on the boat alone over the match. Thrilling Tremors was a really great shrine pick up, it gave me three separate reveals of one red generator for my next target. Three Spine Chills... maybe Small Game is the real meta-perk. :kiddo: