Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Pretty sure Detmer is just suffering PTSD or something, she didn't have any problems until she hit her head at the crash and it probably brought back memories of how she got that cyborg stuff in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Everything not involving Giorgio was pretty good. Stamets/Jet scenes were funny, Saru is an excellent captain that embodies the Federation ideals, and the rest of the crew had their moments. If the writers could flush the last remnants of the shitshow they were dealing with under the last showrunner (Section 31, Control, that crewmate that said yum yum) I think they’d be in good shape.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Second episode ever of Discovery. Not sure I will watch another one, its not really star trek to me. It's not even sci fi, this episode was basically a western. The bar had saloon doors even!

Is that lady with the head thing evil? I am getting hints that evil robot from last season's recap took her over, and bodysnatchers shows are dumb and lazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Second episode ever of Discovery. Not sure I will watch another one, its not really star trek to me. It's not even sci fi, this episode was basically a western. The bar had saloon doors even!

Is that lady with the head thing evil? I am getting hints that evil robot from last season's recap took her over, and bodysnatchers shows are dumb and lazy.
Rehashing Control taking over the robot lady is the dumbest and laziest thing so yeah they’re probably doing it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Here's a weird thing:

the first episode was called "That Hope is You, Part 1." According to Wikipedia, all 13 episode titles have been revealed, and there is no "That Hope is You, Part 2."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Str Trek: A False Hope

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want there to be an episode titled [name] Part II, but there is no Part I.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HD DAD posted:

I want there to be an episode titled [name] Part II, but there is no Part I.

Or literally just "Part II" and have it be about the weird aftereffects of some time-fuckery.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's weird that there is such little wonder. I mean I know the writers are clearly just trying to make star wars but at least star wars tries to put wonder as the first priority.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont blame Yeoh because her character is incoherent, but I still have no idea why everyone is so cool with Mirror Georgiou hanging around.

It's like if Dukat had an episode where he ate Nog, and then the next episode he joined Starfleet to zero fanfare.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What baffles me is that Georgiou adds nothing to the story. She’s completely extraneous. Do they have a contract with Yeoh that states she needs to hang around until she gets her own series?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Or literally just "Part II" and have it be about the weird aftereffects of some time-fuckery.

I love this.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

So, should I assume that Control has somehow weaseled it’s way into Detmer’s cyborg implants or something?

Please God no.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like this thread has a lot of posters that always complain about episodes having too much Michael. This most recent episode should be well received in the thread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I feel like this thread has a lot of posters that always complain about episodes having too much Michael. This most recent episode should be well received in the thread.

Too much Georgiou, the pendulum has swung!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Space Western episode is a classic Trek move. It was fun, though I question these guns that you have to hold on a target for like 30 seconds to kill. I also hope the cyborg poo poo is PTSD or something that isn't dumb as all gently caress.

Doug Jones is so good at being alien.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

make Jett Reno chief engineer already please

the chief engineer previously has been a ghost so just say they died in the crash or some poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saru is a good captain.

HD DAD posted:

What baffles me is that Georgiou adds nothing to the story. She’s completely extraneous. Do they have a contract with Yeoh that states she needs to hang around until she gets her own series?

Somebody had to make sure he was dead. :colbert:

Senor Tron posted:

That was...fine.

Was good to see Discovery itself again, but also felt like a bit of an inconsequential episode overall.

It showed that even though the Federation has been gone for over a century, there are still people who believe in them :shrug:

Thom12255 posted:

Pretty sure Detmer is just suffering PTSD or something, she didn't have any problems until she hit her head at the crash and it probably brought back memories of how she got that cyborg stuff in the first place.

:same:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I dont blame Yeoh because her character is incoherent, but I still have no idea why everyone is so cool with Mirror Georgiou hanging around.

It's like if Dukat had an episode where he ate Nog, and then the next episode he joined Starfleet to zero fanfare.

Speaking of Dukat and Georgiou... I think that's yet another great example of why one thing worked in previous ST and not in Discovery.

Dukat had layers to his character and his whole backstory/background was a perfect setup for episodes with someone like Kira. That way it wasn't just about conflicts between "good guy vs bad guy", there was always more going on. I will admit that Ds9 went down the deep end with Dukat later on but at least it was earned and a good journey. Georgiou on the other hand is just "witty" Space Hitler who happens to like Michael for some reason. There is nothing more to her or her background.
All conflict with her comes from just being an evil person, not to mention that it's portrayed in a rather cartoonish way (yeah we get it, she wants to shot and kill everyone).
If she had actual depth and maybe could be convincing in her "ways" (using violence more appropriatly, maybe some bribing, some coercing etc.) then you could at least create stories based around her methods getting results and being "pragmatic" vs the more idealistic Federation approach. They obviously do aim for that but completetly fail because it is just too hamfisted and far too one sided.
Another thing Ds9 also did is a redemption plot for a "Space Nazi" aka Damar. They made it work despite Damar being pretty two dimensional in the beginning and yet even he became a good character.
I mean they will obviously try that with Georgiou (they already took a couple of shots with it) but that means they will kinda have to retcon her whole character. It worked with Damar in Ds9 because his character was mostly an empty canvass and thus you had the opportunity to turn him in that direction but with Georgiou it's like trying to suddently give late seasons Dukat a redemption arc.

PS: I really don't want to be the guy who always complains about Michael but they are really making it hard. Even in an episode without her she still ends up being "Deux ex Michael" at the end, it is just kind of ridiculous at this point.
PPS: Having said all this, Saru is the one character that works and you could imagine being in any previous ST.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 22, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't really follow this specific thread, so I wanted to ask straight up: is Discovery worth it? (I'm the goon-typical? mold of DS9>TNG.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
In the spirit which you asked, no it's really not. But if you sometimes enjoy hatewatching, you just might love it. Also it does have really great isolated moments here and there and a few great characters (Michael is not one of them, but Christopher Pike definitely is), so a hatewatch would at least be rewarded with that.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 22, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's also fun to see Star Trek with a giant budget and modern effects. The choices they make don't always work for me but it can be a very pretty show.

It's not a good show but I've watched a lot of lovely Star Trek so why stop now. There are good episodes occasionally. If you decide to start, watch at least up to the Harry Mudd episode in S1, that's the first properly good ep.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I don't really follow this specific thread, so I wanted to ask straight up: is Discovery worth it? (I'm the goon-typical? mold of DS9>TNG.)

I enjoy the show but opinion is mixed here with people in the thread leaning more towards hate watching. I'd say try it and see how you feel. I think the one universal opinion posters in this thread have is season 2 is better than season 1.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I prefered S1 myself. Both seasons are bad but S1 was the fun type of bad with it's constant escalation and shocking! plot twists, S2 was just dull and stupid.

e: That one episode in S2 where they almost cause the genocide of Saru's species by intervening in his society in the most thoughtlessly hamfisted way possible was pretty special though, the closest watching any episode of Star Trek has come to giving me an aneurysm

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 22, 2020

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AlternateNu posted:

This is me and I love Discovery.

There are less of me and more of the haters though, at least here. So it is hard to say if you would think it is worth it. It is one of those things you are going to have to try for yourself.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

multijoe posted:

they almost cause the genocide of Saru's species

I mean, we dont see Kelpians or Ba'ul post-Discovery (surprised Picard didnt include any), and Saru did double the carnivore population of Kaminar overnight. I doubt they can all sustain themselves on those birds.

Would a Kelpian still be called that after they transition? Should they be called hamburgerians?

(I actually thought it, and most of the first half of S2, was Discovery's high point; semi-episodic trek stories with a serial hook through them all.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I question these guns that you have to hold on a target for like 30 seconds to kill.

I didn’t. If you want to effectively get across that a bad guy is an irredeemable psychopath, a gun that kills you super slowly while it hurts the whole time is pretty effective. It’s not like they were expecting any resistance, so making an example of someone is probably a much higher priority than expedience.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Payndz posted:

I'm now trying to think what the last properly memorable/powerful sci-fi weapon sound effect was. Aliens' pulse rifles? Robocop's Auto-9? (Something I found disappointing about Dredd was how the Lawgiver sounded like... just some generic gun, rather than a futuristic version of Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum.) Maybe those space-mine things from Attack of the Clones?

I’ve always been quite partial to the plasma sound effects from The Terminator/Terminator 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHKxoARmjLU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

masterpine posted:

You know what the show really needed after a giant time skip? Another time skip. It's just genius writing really, Kurtzman has assembled TV's greatest gaggle of moron EP's and script frauds and we're basking in their glory.

I know of at least two other stories where two ships go through something that results in time-travel and they come out at different times on the other end. One of them is the Star Trek Voyager episode "Future's End" and the other is Star Trek 2009. If anything, they should be applauded for being consistent with something for once.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Payndz posted:

I'm now trying to think what the last properly memorable/powerful sci-fi weapon sound effect was. Aliens' pulse rifles? Robocop's Auto-9? (Something I found disappointing about Dredd was how the Lawgiver sounded like... just some generic gun, rather than a futuristic version of Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum.) Maybe those space-mine things from Attack of the Clones?

Stargate had some pretty great sound design - staff fire and zat guns were pretty distinctive.

And moving outside weapons, obviously the gate alarm, the dialing noises, the iris, the fwoosh. drat, shoulda called it sound-gate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

masterpine posted:

You know what the show really needed after a giant time skip? Another time skip. It's just genius writing really, Kurtzman has assembled TV's greatest gaggle of moron EP's and script frauds and we're basking in their glory.

If you dislike the show that much, I'd consider quitting on it. I quit the Walking Dead years ago instead of hate watching and nothing of value was lost. However, maybe I just learned that eariler by watching every episode of Weeds.

After the first episode, I thought there might be an incoming time skip due to Michael's longer hair in the promos.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 22, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just gonna send a obviously concussed Detmer to find her own way to sickbay so no one misses my speech about facing things together.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's also not exactly another timeskip. They just wanted to give the audience the point of the ship and crew before diving into the season. Them experiencing the future is way better than having Burnham welcome them and explain everything.
We'll be seeing what happens in that one year. This clip is probably the teaser for the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yhyo-fds8

Georgiou is perhaps too self aware.

"Section 31 would have begged me to take over sooner or later, and bureaucracy is where fun goes to die. I like jumping from universe to universe."
S31 was supposed to have been filmed during this Summer before Covid, but it's now going to arrive after Discovery Season 4. I wonder if they wrote her going away this season or if they'll readjust some scripts to keep her around in Season 4. That they referenced Calypso's the V'Draysh implies that there may be some time travelling involved where Discovery needs to be hidden in away to come back to the future via the long way, with possibly some characters staying back in the past.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh god they tossed out the V'draysh term so I guess Calypso is still canon

otoh the context makes it seem like it's just this new language's term for it, which is I guess a reasonable explanation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I really wish we hadn't got the first episode. Too much exposition. They had a great opportunity to lean more on the ensemble immediately and keep everything more mysterious.

It would have been way better to have Michael rescue them without knowing what happened to her, ever. She's there, she saved them, but clearly it's been some time and now she's with this shady dude she's banging and maybe off-camera Michael has seen some poo poo and isn't entirely reliable going forward. Hell, if you really want to go big make her an antagonist whose gone native.

I guess they could still go that direction but the first episode seemed to go out of its way to say "hello this is still your hero" and it sucks.

Spacebump posted:

I threw popcorn at the screen when they had a scene where the entire crew assured themselves and the audience that even though Michael was off-screen, getting her back on screen was the main priority.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Not sure why Saru doesn’t just tell Giorgio to gently caress off back to her room. She’s not in the ship’s chain of command and has no business being anywhere decisions are made.

She needed to be close at hand to remind everyone that while diplomacy and high minded ideals are good in theory, when push comes to shove you want to have a space Hitler on hand to do the things you won't.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

me when someone asks what i think of this season so far

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m very disappointed Tig Notaro still isn’t listed as main cast, but I’m sure she’s got other things going on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh god they tossed out the V'draysh term so I guess Calypso is still canon

otoh the context makes it seem like it's just this new language's term for it, which is I guess a reasonable explanation.

Calypso was never not canon.

Also, I’d have to rewatch that scene but I’m almost certain he called the language a pidgin, which is kind of a neat solution to a roving band of marauders from several races with different languages if you don’t have universal translators anymore.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Calypso was never not canon.

Also, I’d have to rewatch that scene but I’m almost certain he called the language a pidgin, which is kind of a neat solution to a roving band of marauders from several races with different languages if you don’t have universal translators anymore.

There was some discussion a few pages back about how it might or might not fit into canon, I was referring to that I guess.

And yeah they called it Pidgin but they also implied that someone who's been around the area for a while would understand it. Now that you mention it though, I don't like how it implies the translators aren't functioning, since why wouldn't they?

e: my lore may be rusty but I vaguely remember that "the translators take time to figure out a new language" was only an issue in Enterprise and that one episode of DS9?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There was some discussion a few pages back about how it might or might not fit into canon, I was referring to that I guess.

And yeah they called it Pidgin but they also implied that someone who's been around the area for a while would understand it. Now that you mention it though, I don't like how it implies the translators aren't functioning, since why wouldn't they?

I guess if the Federation is basically nonexistent and UTs are primarily Fed tech then it kinda makes sense that they just wouldn’t be as ubiquitous anymore. But then again, they also still have widespread access to transporters, so who knows?

Maybe that one dude is just really into pirate roleplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Were UTs Fed tech though? The Ferengi, Cardassians and Dominion at least all had them too.