Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't think we know anything beyond what the reveal trailer shows, do we?

Edit: and the fact that rope kid is not attached, I guess, if you want to count that.

I've been wondering what ropekid has been up to lately. I want to think he's riding bikes around southern california and sampling exotic cheese. I chatted with him and adler at pax shortly before deadfire. Super nice dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

He was riding bikes around Oregon, I think.

Also a belated :toot: ropekid.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1318021690450878464?s=20

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Happy bday Ropekid. Thanks for the cool rpgs. I've been endlessly entertained with Poe1 and 2. Probably not since Baldur's Gate have I replayed an RPG series this much, and if you know how much I played the BG series in my younger years that's high praise.

I just love how customizable these games are. The amount of builds and roleplay opportunities feels endless.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Yeah I finished PoE 1 for the first time earlier this month, and I'm now like 55 hours into PoE 2 already. PoE 1 was the first isometric CRPG I ever felt compelled to finish, and I'm definitely going to finish PoE 2 then start a whole new Pillars playthrough. These are two of my favorite games ever. Good job and hbd Ropekid!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finished White March 1 and unlocked the Durgan Steel enchantments... This is the most “too good to use” I’ve felt in a long time :gonk:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How much Deadfire reactivity is there to supporting the different Defiance Bay factions, or anything else? I'm trying to decide if I want to do a chanter or cipher playthrough of PoE1 so I can have more-or-less the same character go through Deadfire (I'm waffling between a rogue/cipher and rogue/chanter, but rogues in PoE1 are boring as poo poo so I don't want to play one), and I'm trying to decide if I want to do something different. The factions are all awful in their own ways, but I supported the Dozens previously. I'm thinking I might go with the Doemenels instead if I do another. Not sure what else I'd change though, since I prefer Eder go against religion and have Aloth burn Thaos' robes. Plus you gotta have Vela, obv.

Edit: and while I kinda want Pallegina to get mega-owned, I don't know what god I'd support besides Galawain, but I guess I could change that. Also, I wanna kill Kolsc and Raedric this go around.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 21, 2020

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dick Burglar posted:

How much Deadfire reactivity is there to supporting the different Defiance Bay factions, or anything else? I'm trying to decide if I want to do a chanter or cipher playthrough of PoE1 so I can have more-or-less the same character go through Deadfire (I'm waffling between a rogue/cipher and rogue/chanter, but rogues in PoE1 are boring as poo poo so I don't want to play one), and I'm trying to decide if I want to do something different. The factions are all awful in their own ways, but I supported the Dozens previously. I'm thinking I might go with the Doemenels instead if I do another. Not sure what else I'd change though, since I prefer Eder go against religion and have Aloth burn Thaos' robes. Plus you gotta have Vela, obv.

Edit: and while I kinda want Pallegina to get mega-owned, I don't know what god I'd support besides Galawain, but I guess I could change that. Also, I wanna kill Kolsc and Raedric this go around.

IIRC there's almost none for any of the options, but the Doemenels are the only ones with a presence in Deadfire? I can't remember who it is so it's gotta be a small thing anyhow.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Principe guy in the gullet and / or the captain who loans you Seraven comments if you were mobbed up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hylea's a decent god to support, you get some saved kids out of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

2house2fly posted:

Also you really shouldn't diss her if you're continuing your character into PoE2.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I mean, yeah, don't (openly) diss any of the gods. They will poo poo on you. In Hylea's case, quite literally.

I'm thinking I'll support either Berath or Hylea, not sure which yet. But I'm super pumped to let Pallegina self-own herself into oblivion.

In Deadfire, if you shrug at her outburst, she leaves forever, right?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Sagani has an idle bark for Itumaak if you're using the white cat pet! Mind blown. I don't think I've used that cat from since before bringing Sagani on board.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
What does she say ? I only remember "Itumaak! Leave the pig alone!".

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Got cut off as I heard it right at a level transition. It was a warning about nosing around the cat.

Didn't know that she had lines for the different pets. Will have to try them out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

2house2fly posted:

Debateable

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Eder has some pet reactions also. Back when I first played I was shocked when he suddenly started talking to the one animal I'd ever had in the pet slot

https://twitter.com/2house2fly/status/583292533440040960?s=19

It is!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Eder has some pet reactions also. Back when I first played I was shocked when he suddenly started talking to the one animal I'd ever had in the pet slot

https://twitter.com/2house2fly/status/583292533440040960?s=19
It is!

There's one where he talks to the pig too. It's pretty funny.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Big fan of how the game handles difficulty settings by directly tweaking enemy group composition, which I don't think gets enough appreciation. Handcrafted encounters tweaked for each difficulty are so much nicer than the usual bump up numbers approach. Are they any other games that take this approach?

The party AI is also well done, they use abilities pretty well while still letting you take over and guide as needed. This is so important for RTwP to work well, so I'm glad they improved this aspect so much over the game's support cycle.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think old FPSes did it that way? It's a while since I played Doom but I recall the difference between difficulty levels being that there are more enemies, maybe that each enemy attacks more frequently, and get a stat boost on the hardest difficulty (which the Pillars games do also)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I was super surprised when I warned someone about the digsite being difficult but they were playing on classic and there was no big drake and only one or two panthers. Pretty reasonable way to scale things down, alongside making you pay more attention to mechanics with armor/defenses up.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I think old FPSes did it that way? It's a while since I played Doom but I recall the difference between difficulty levels being that there are more enemies, maybe that each enemy attacks more frequently, and get a stat boost on the hardest difficulty (which the Pillars games do also)

In Doom incoming damage increases with each difficulty but enemy HP remains the same, enemy layouts change and sometimes replace easier demons with harder ones altogether (memorably there's a room in the first level of The Plutonium Experiment where switching from HMP to UV turns four pinkies into four revenants, which is fun) and on nightmare IIRC enemies gets a global speed buff and *continually respawn regardless of whether you've killed the first one yet* which utterly breaks the HP & ammo economy if you try and play it like a harder version of UV.

It's a really good system and puts alot of other action games to shame, even today.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I‘m disappointed that PoE2’s Hard mode increases enemy stats a smidge, then first game’s Hard mode didn’t and felt more fair?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

2house2fly posted:

On higher difficulties Duke Nukem 3D had more enemies, too. Sometimes introducing new ones earlier iirc. But on the maximum difficulty the enemies would respawn after death unless you gibbed them. Ugh.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Kind of off topic but I think it might be interesting to people in this thread. Solasta just went to Early Access (a few days after BG3). It's a neat RPG based on D&D 5 rules and SRD. I bought it on a whim and I really like it, more so than what I've seen of BG3 (I'm not the biggest fan of Larian or D:OS2, so take that as you will).

There's a thread about it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Furism posted:

Kind of off topic but I think it might be interesting to people in this thread. Solasta just went to Early Access (a few days after BG3). It's a neat RPG based on D&D 5 rules and SRD. I bought it on a whim and I really like it, more so than what I've seen of BG3 (I'm not the biggest fan of Larian or D:OS2, so take that as you will).

Thanks, I will pick this up as my first Steam Early Access game. The combat looks fun and reminds me of ToEE for some reason. The videos make it seem like combat moves very fluidly while still exposing a bunch of what's happening under the hood clearly.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The dev is streaming it right now on the Steam page. Looks janky but interesting. I don't usually bother until stuff is out of early access so I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Furism posted:

Yeah but D&D 5 rules are loving terrible, so how does it actually play? Did they fix the garbage classes, or do like a third of the classes just plain suck rear end? Fighters, rogues, monks, rangers... I'm sure I'm forgetting another class that's really bad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

multijoe posted:

In Doom incoming damage increases with each difficulty but enemy HP remains the same, enemy layouts change and sometimes replace easier demons with harder ones altogether (memorably there's a room in the first level of The Plutonium Experiment where switching from HMP to UV turns four pinkies into four revenants, which is fun) and on nightmare IIRC enemies gets a global speed buff and *continually respawn regardless of whether you've killed the first one yet* which utterly breaks the HP & ammo economy if you try and play it like a harder version of UV.

It's only I'm Too Young To Die which changes damage taken (it's halved). The middle three difficulties vary only by monster and pickup placement.

multijoe posted:

It's a really good system and puts alot of other action games to shame, even today.
:yeah:

e: I really wish there was a PoE difficulty which did PotD's "every difficulty's monsters all at once" thing but without the stat buffs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That's easily moddable in Deadfire, at least- there's a global settings file which determines which stats are increased or decreased by what amount per difficulty level, and you can just open the file with a text editor and change all the POTD multipliers to 1 and bonuses to 0

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

v1ld posted:

Big fan of how the game handles difficulty settings by directly tweaking enemy group composition, which I don't think gets enough appreciation. Handcrafted encounters tweaked for each difficulty are so much nicer than the usual bump up numbers approach. Are they any other games that take this approach?

Oh it is appreciated! PoE1/2 is a rare gem in that regard, they really thought out the difficulty instead of just applying modifiers.

As for other RPGs with this approach... Divinity Original Sin 1/2 does a similar thing. And, uh, Fallout 4 does it too, really, though it's a very different game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah but D&D 5 rules are loving terrible, so how does it actually play? Did they fix the garbage classes, or do like a third of the classes just plain suck rear end? Fighters, rogues, monks, rangers... I'm sure I'm forgetting another class that's really bad.

They're not using 5e from what I read, too expensive to license I assume. So they've done their own take on classes alomg with other stuff.

The main reason I'll get this in early access is to support the little team who've released what looks like it's could be a good game and who seem willing to go their own way. (TROUBLESHOOTER is another example of a small and passionate team mixing XCom with another genre instead of D&D: an Atlus jrpg. The 6 person Korean dev team will personally and earnestly respond to your Steam reviews - difficult to be more endearing.)

E: Sorry for the derail but this is the only negative review of TROUBLESHOOTER other than a curt "the translation is garbage" one in the recent reviews and both it and the developer's response are typical: https://steamcommunity.com/id/parkerporkchop/recommended/470310/#developer_response It's emphatically a Jrpg in tone and presentation, but if there's anything in the least you find interesting and you don't mind a janky but ever improving translation, it's def worth checking out. The combat system is fantastic if you like xcom/strategy rpgs, even better than its influences in many ways. I found it tremendously enjoyable for 20 hours or so and will come back to it, but I also love Atlus rpgs like Digital Devil Saga so it's not much of a reach in terms of genre or style.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey so I turned on scaling for White March Part Deux, and got completely demolished by a group of xaurips in the Stalwart mines. That’s one of the “inexplicably difficult” areas of the game, right? Or did I gently caress myself over by going for scaling?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Scaling adds 33% to the level of each enemy. So it depends on your level relative to those boosted enemies.

E: I did WM2 without scaling but in Act 2 at the recommended level whatever it was. Was challenging in the beginning but fell off towards the end by when I was level 13-14.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Jay Rust posted:

Hey so I turned on scaling for White March Part Deux, and got completely demolished by a group of xaurips in the Stalwart mines. That’s one of the “inexplicably difficult” areas of the game, right? Or did I gently caress myself over by going for scaling?

The mines are tough, yes. Saving that area for later is a good idea.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

e: I really wish there was a PoE difficulty which did PotD's "every difficulty's monsters all at once" thing but without the stat buffs.

Agreed so much. Even with the right strategy, the buffed enemy defences are just a drat slog to get through, but I do enjoy fighting greater varieties of enemies. It bugs me because POTD difficulty feels like how encounters were meant to be designed, but the stat buffs to enemies absolutely weren't.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

v1ld posted:

They're not using 5e from what I read, too expensive to license I assume. So they've done their own take on classes alomg with other stuff.

Solasta is using the open source parts of 5e, so the basic ruleset (including like one subclass from each class), and the rest is homebrew.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I always just listen to Berath and put them back on the wheel for another spin. They were gonna go there eventually and the other options all seem like...bad poo poo to do with souls.

Hylea's almost sounds good but just imagine being one of the poor people in Gilded Vale that killed their soul-less baby or tried to let an animancer fix them by putting a deer soul in them or some poo poo just for Hollow Jimmy down the street to just wake up normal one day. Feels like a great way to horrifically traumatize a big part of the population.

Nah not gonna have that on my conscious, just GG Go next.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i always go berath and i feel it kind of thematically flows better that way into 2 as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I imported my POE save but when Berath asked me I said I went with their choice because it seemed to make the most sense and what I feel like I probably did. But I honestly can't remember if I legit did or if I went with Wael, who I seem to remember coming up as a late option to just send the souls randomly out across the world so NOBODY knows where they ended up and they basically get a chance to just "be" without being pawns in anybody's games anymore.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wael sends them off to whatever they're doing up in space.