Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Here's what went wrong - too many god drat streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Here's what went wrong - too many god drat streaming services.

We're going to have the a la carte cable fight again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, shocking.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
their decision to not being able to cast/take screenshots thus not allowing things to go viral/being turned into memes is one of the biggest media self owns of the decade

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is the first time I've heard of Quibi, lmao.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah I used to enjoy movies like that, but for Death of Stalin I wasn't in the mood for multiple casual rape mentions in the first half and never went back to it.

Black comedy in general is something I've lost the taste for when I loved it a decade ago.

I think this describes my feelings on it as well. There were a few funny parts like when they were moving the body around and such, but when the secret police chief tells multiple jokes about raping women in exchange for letting their families out of gulags I was very confused at how anyone could find that humorous at all.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think this describes my feelings on it as well. There were a few funny parts like when they were moving the body around and such, but when the secret police chief tells multiple jokes about raping women in exchange for letting their families out of gulags I was very confused at how anyone could find that humorous at all.

Yeah Im pretty much in the same boat. I watched it when it first came out and found myself really uncomfortable and put off by the way they framed Beriyas historically accurate penchant for serial rape.

I definitely was laughing a lot in the movie but there was just something tonally jarring, even for a black comedy, about those scenes.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Finally watched I Am Mother on Netflix. I put it off so long because Netflix movies seem to be firmly in the 6.5/10 category..... but this one was really good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

their decision to not being able to cast/take screenshots thus not allowing things to go viral/being turned into memes is one of the biggest media self owns of the decade

Yeah, out of all the stupid things about Quibi, this one was the stupidest. It's astounding how out of touch Katzenberg and the rest of the Quibi higher-ups are.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Quibi makes perfect sense if you are the kind of person who is busy and rich enough you mainly engage with media on uber or lyft rides in short bursts on your phone, and also you're too old to know about youtube. This was a lot of investors and not a lot of actual viewers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They say a candle that burns brightest burns the fastest. Quibi was not a candle that burned bright. No, Quibi was a candle burning at both ends. Except, this candle had a really short wick that kept going out so you had to cut slices off the wax to get more wick and it just made an annoying mess and you were never able to get a good amount of wick.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Quibi's remaining assets should be seized by the government and used to fund Cobra Kai-style series-sequels to other 80s classics

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The gimmick that you watch everything in a zoomed portrait mode, cutting off over three quarters of every given shot, is absolutely fuckin bonkers - and they made it a major selling point

I’m only familiar with Quibi from its advertisements, and the ads invariably looked like the video broke somehow.

Add a promise that the everything will automatically pause every 10 minutes and it’s like they were begging people to stay away.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I never really understood Quibi's phone orientation gimmick, but it seems like this show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ule-CRT6ENo) at least experimented with something different: "Two narratives play out simultaneously: watch horizontally for a cinematic view; twist vertically to experience Andy’s phone as your own, as he fights to stay alive." So it sounds like you watch two completely different things (maybe with the same audio?), depending on the phone orientation.

That sounds sort of neat. I could imagine a murder mystery show where the horizontal orientation shows you the characters like a normal show and the vertical view let you see the detective's casebook or scroll through other evidence. The challenge would be to review the evidence and figure out the case before the detective reveals things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

they better release the golden arm.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DorianGravy posted:

I never really understood Quibi's phone orientation gimmick, but it seems like this show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ule-CRT6ENo) at least experimented with something different: "Two narratives play out simultaneously: watch horizontally for a cinematic view; twist vertically to experience Andy’s phone as your own, as he fights to stay alive." So it sounds like you watch two completely different things (maybe with the same audio?), depending on the phone orientation.

That’s basically an extremely poor substitute for normal editing, a one-button FMV game that rewards you with a Quibi show, and/or a direct simulation of checking your phone during a movie because you’re bored.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

From what i know of soviet humor, it was incredibly authentic to the time period. Just the bleakest, most pessimistic, dry chuckles at the most horrific bureaucratic atrocities possible. The scene with the concert recording? Pitch loving perfect.

I found the funeral coup sequence absolutely hilarious and slapstick in the best ways, but yeah ymmv on everything else.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The gimmick that you watch everything in a zoomed portrait mode, cutting off over three quarters of every given shot, is absolutely fuckin bonkers - and they made it a major selling point

I’m only familiar with Quibi from its advertisements, and the ads invariably looked like the video broke somehow.

Add a promise that the everything will automatically pause every 10 minutes and it’s like they were begging people to stay away.

It launched without support for watching on your TV.

Like I feel vaguely sorry for the people who had contracts and jobs and were trying to make content for this thing, but it was a perfect storm of dumb ideas.

And apparently nobody used the format to just make an old-fashioned cliffhanger-strewn serial with cars flying off bridges every 15 minutes.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

From what i know of soviet humor, it was incredibly authentic to the time period. Just the bleakest, most pessimistic, dry chuckles at the most horrific bureaucratic atrocities possible. The scene with the concert recording? Pitch loving perfect.

I found the funeral coup sequence absolutely hilarious and slapstick in the best ways, but yeah ymmv on everything else.

Also, the joke Ianucci is making isn’t, “hahaha rape” it’s, “this guy actually did these things AND the system was so hosed up that he could casually joke about it without fear of reprisal”

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I wonder how Quibi would have done had they not launched a mobile device only streaming service just days before the world went into quarantine and nobody left their homes for months. Quibi even refused to pivot and launch an app for smart tvs at first. Did they ever?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I wonder how Quibi would have done had they not launched a mobile device only streaming service just days before the world went into quarantine and nobody left their homes for months. Quibi even refused to pivot and launch an app for smart tvs at first. Did they ever?

The app for smart TV's launched this past Tuesday...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The humor in The Death of Stalin is hosed, and sad, and grappling with horrendous acts, and at the end, both cathartic and foreboding.

What a wonderful movie.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/anafabregagood/status/1319057036857036800

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Shageletic posted:

The humor in The Death of Stalin is hosed, and sad, and grappling with horrendous acts, and at the end, both cathartic and foreboding.

What a wonderful movie.

It checked so many thematic boxes for me that I look for in a movie: cutthroat politics, historical, black comedy, kafkaesque insanity, human foibles.

drat, I think I'll rewatch it.

I'll also have to check and see if Ianucci's other works are streaming. I need something to fend off the nausea I get from seeing a West Wing holiday special out there. Still haven't seen Veep.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Poorly. The “busy tech guy” in the backseat of an Uber isn’t looking for bespoke short form media to entertain them. They’re on Slack or watching YouTube.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

So if Quibi shuts down entirely, will the shows end up somewhere like Netflix or Amazon, or will they disappear entirely? How do you even translate the aspect-switching gimmick onto a normal TV?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The legendary shoe structure

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

So if Quibi shuts down entirely, will the shows end up somewhere like Netflix or Amazon, or will they disappear entirely? How do you even translate the aspect-switching gimmick onto a normal TV?

Rumor was that most of the directors shot their Quibi stuff so that they'd be easy to assemble into full movies/episodes and in a sane aspect ratio because they know the service was doomed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And if The Fugitive reboot was anything to go by, the only thing to the aspect switching schtick was basically watching something widescreen vs. full screen.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

DorianGravy posted:

Maybe it’ll end up like Seeso’s content and just be scattered to the lesser-known streaming services.

A Quibi channel on PlutoTV

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DorianGravy posted:

Quibi owns very few of the shows which is one of the reasons they couldn't sell anything to anyone. So most of it will pop up somewhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why do they jump over the shoe to get to the end?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Why do they jump over the shoe to get to the end?

Shoes, especially tall shoes like that one, are a serious tripping hazard. Jumping is a good way to avoid it safely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, the whole thing about Quibi being entirely founded on "how can we get around WGA and SAG rules" makes me really, really hope everyone who made stuff for Quibi, whether actor, writer, director or producer, gets blacklisted.

I know that includes Sam Raimi but sometimes you gotta kill the Buddha when you meet him in the road.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
A colleague of mine was a lead producer on a big comedy show for Quibi and whenever I trashed Quibi on social media hed always reply defending the content, insisting if you look past the platform format that it provides good content.

It was always kinda sad because while I would never wish for any kind of failure upon him, it was like watching him yell from inside a bus clearly headed for a cliff that the people inside were fine and maybe the bus could fly.

"Narrator: It could not"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

lmao what if movies but in tate mode??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just signed up for the week trial of Peacock premium plus because there is a few things I want watch and it seems like a dumb move to remove visibility of what content is only available with premium after you sign up. Theres no visual indication of what extra you are actually getting for an extra 5 or 10 dollars a month lol.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I hope I get to see the one season of RENO 911! that was on Quibi somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hope I get to see the one season of RENO 911! that was on Quibi somewhere.

I think they did two? But since it's Quibi it's probably a few hours worth of content.