Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Question for the older players... how did Jita become the main market for so long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

Question for the older players... how did Jita become the main market for so long?

they killed connectivity to yulai and jita used to have a bunch of L4 mission agents

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dalael posted:

A combination of things, it's centrally-located as well as close to the Caldari L4 mission running hubs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Location basically. It used to be Yulai as it was basically right between all 4 empire capitals. But CCP changed some routes a long rear end time ago and Yulai died as a hub. Jita was already a popular mission spot and it just snowballed from there.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

OMFG FURRY posted:

a full day of explo will net me like 600m what are you doing

Throwing Herons into the woodchipper, basically. I'm almost done training an Astero.

My typical exploration run goes something like this

1. Yeet myself into nullsec via filament.
2. Set destination to the nearest Thera entrance
3. Hide from other players and ransack every data/relic site along the way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is there any real advantage to explo in an Astero vs a Helios other than you can pack a few more drones along to scare off a covops if you run into one on a site you just scanned down?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Jazzzzz posted:

Is there any real advantage to explo in an Astero vs a Helios other than you can pack a few more drones along to scare off a covops if you run into one on a site you just scanned down?

The Astero looks a hell of a lot snazzier than the Helios.

(I don't actually know)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jazzzzz posted:

Helios pros: cheaper, able to fit an expanded probe launcher, faster warp speed, stronger scanner (50% strength bonus at covops V opposed to the Astero's 37.5%)
Cons: cloak tank (read: none), practically no dps

Astero pros: able to fight back, tankier. Actually a decent hunter if you're don't need the combat probes
cons: more expensive, no expanded launcher without fitting sacrifices.

If you plan on PVPing, take an Astero. If you plan on not PVPing (or simply gonna get on kills that you find and have someone else do the job), or doing proper fleet scouting, Helios (and the other covops).

tl;dr: if you want to do solo pvp, fly an astero; if you're simply scouting/exploring and don't plan on PVPing, fly a helios

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 22, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

Location basically. It used to be Yulai as it was basically right between all 4 empire capitals. But CCP changed some routes a long rear end time ago and Yulai died as a hub. Jita was already a popular mission spot and it just snowballed from there.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

they killed connectivity to yulai and jita used to have a bunch of L4 mission agents

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A combination of things, it's centrally-located as well as close to the Caldari L4 mission running hubs.

So with the trig poo poo, is it likely that Jita's status suffers the same fate? Was this ccp's attempt to repeat Yulai?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dalael posted:

So with the trig poo poo, is it likely that Jita's status suffers the same fate? Was this ccp's attempt to repeat Yulai?

*looks at the MER*

That's a no chief.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I doubt it was on purpose, and Jita has a hell of a lot more momentum behind it than Yulai did. I doubt this will really move the needle more than a bump.

Also there's a hell of a lot more ways to get around without having to gate than there was back in the yulai days.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Now that I have a jf, im thinking of just dropping my poo poo at Amarr. Feels like with a 47864389744 gate detour, some lazy ppl might be willing to pay premium in that location.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dalael posted:

no and ccp didn't choose niarja as a triglav system themselves, the triglav-aligned players did it

it's amarr that is going to wither without imports, high sec industry is centralized around jita and won't be moving. yulai was not the trade capital for nearly as long as jita has been.

dodixie and rens will probably see more activity as people try to haul from jita to elsewhere and don't have that easy route to amarr tho.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

Now that I have a jf, im thinking of just dropping my poo poo at Amarr. Feels like with a 47864389744 gate detour, some lazy ppl might be willing to pay premium in that location.

I regret to inform u this is not the case

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jazzzzz posted:

You should explore in a Proteus so that people know you mean business

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jazerus posted:

no and ccp didn't choose niarja as a triglav system themselves, the triglav-aligned players did it

it's amarr that is going to wither without imports, high sec industry is centralized around jita and won't be moving. yulai was not the trade capital for nearly as long as jita has been.

dodixie and rens will probably see more activity as people try to haul from jita to elsewhere and don't have that easy route to amarr tho.

To put a finer point on it, Yulai was the trade hub back when people actually hauled things via gate. Expanded capitals (the jump hauler of choice before JFs) were rare and expensive, and couldn't enter highsec besides. There were regional gates that dumped each pseudo-quadrant closely to Yulai, and those got deleted in one patch or another.

Nowadays, everyone uses JFs. Everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone. JFs don't give a poo poo about the gate topography. We use JFs to get poo poo to Jita, even from Delve; that's why we were so eager and willing to nuke Niarja for the fun of it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, once somewhere has been established as a hub it tends to stay that way because all the infrastructure and expertise and services are already there. Same reason the City of London is still a massive global financial hub despite the UK not having been a superpower in like 70 years.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Dalael posted:

*edit: Would you consider adding some of your scam logs into Letters of Marques on goonfleet.cum? I love reading that poo poo.

the last time someone posted a 13 hour video of a scam over 120 people ate bans, 90% of them unrelated to the event in question

the last thing i'm going to do is post a b*n*s r**m esque conversation (or ethical isk doubling, for those in the know) and get banned for the 5th time because some dev gets butthurt i made a guy mad enough to call me the n word over and over again, but i'm the bad guy doing the thing explicitly allowed in the game.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the last time someone posted a 13 hour video of a scam over 120 people ate bans, 90% of them unrelated to the event in question

the last thing i'm going to do is post a b*n*s r**m esque conversation (or ethical isk doubling, for those in the know) and get banned for the 5th time because some dev gets butthurt i made a guy mad enough to call me the n word over and over again, but i'm the bad guy doing the thing explicitly allowed in the game.

Yeah i can get that. Too bad :shrug:

If you ever do something that you feel wont bother the faint-hearted, feelfree to post it on gf.com and let me know.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Jazerus posted:

There IS a short route between Amarr and Jita that passes through precisely one lowsec system.

I have no idea how hellcamped said lowsec is, though.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
To go back to my amarr question, i was thinking those who live around in highsec might potentially be ok with paying a bit more for items and not have to travel.

I know I used to back when I lived in Taru. Im not great with the market ui but ill try and see if over time that changes.

I suspect you guys are right tho.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still can't help but wonder if this is all a prelude to "Toll Roads."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Inglonias posted:

Throwing Herons into the woodchipper, basically. I'm almost done training an Astero.

My typical exploration run goes something like this

1. Yeet myself into nullsec via filament.
2. Set destination to the nearest Thera entrance
3. Hide from other players and ransack every data/relic site along the way.

The times I did explo I just fit up an interceptor for it. I really ought to give it a go again.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
when they say just podjump instead of taking the scenic route just do it. don't ask how i know this is the best advice just believe me

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Jazzzzz posted:

Astero can instant warp which is insanely valuable. Being able to pack drones also lets you do the Standard Sleeper site, which covops can't do.

Also can confirm that exploration still gets you a solid 150m/hour.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GREAT SATAN posted:

when they say just podjump instead of taking the scenic route just do it. don't ask how i know this is the best advice just believe me

Same thing happened to me, and you know what, I wasn't even that sorry about. Get used to it, blowing up is part of the game.

Having it happen after 40 jumps is pretty sour though lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

tearshed posted:

Astero can instant warp which is insanely valuable. Being able to pack drones also lets you do the Standard Sleeper site, which covops can't do.

Also can confirm that exploration still gets you a solid 150m/hour.

Ok if that’s actually the case I’ll fit up an astero tonight and give it a go

Can you tell me 1) null or wh 2) what the sites are called that I should do? I heard something about minigames which uh didn’t exist last time I did it

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still can't help but wonder if this is all a prelude to "Toll Roads."

Connecticut :argh:

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Can you tell me 1) null or wh 2) what the sites are called that I should do? I heard something about minigames which uh didn’t exist last time I did it
DM me on goonfleet forums. Same name.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

tearshed posted:

DM me on goonfleet forums. Same name.

Cheers mate

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

When you open the containers at exploration anomalies you do it by using a data/relic analyzer module on the cans, which starts a hacking minigame (click on a bunch of dots until you find the node that unlocks the can - there are firewalls, antivirus nodes, stuff that can help you, stuff that can hurt you). It's simple, but annoying.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

When you open the containers at exploration anomalies you do it by using a data/relic analyzer module on the cans, which starts a hacking minigame (click on a bunch of dots until you find the node that unlocks the can - there are firewalls, antivirus nodes, stuff that can help you, stuff that can hurt you). It's simple, but annoying.

It’s kind of like minesweeper but worse.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

schwein11 posted:

It’s kind of like minesweeper but worse.

It's easy though. Look up the rule of 6s or whatever it's called.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't feel as bad for the people falling for doubling scams, I mean come on, people were already doing that back in 2001 in MMOs like Runescape

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I've been loving around in amarr trading. Ive come to own like 1000s of a filament, so I started undercutting the sell orders. Now pubbie/s are undercutting me with sell order of 100s. this is completely stupid right? now theyre guaranteeing I will do the same to them and the price will dive, rather than small quanities where we both get some money. Theyre trying to gently caress every sell order behind them unless I just buy them out, which I will eventually have to in order to get any return. IDK maybe I'm a newby at economics but this seems fuckin stupid.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 23, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I've been loving around in amarr trading. Ive come to own like 1000s of a filament, so I started undercutting the sell orders. Now pubbie/s are undercutting me with sell order of 100s. this is completely stupid right? now theyre guaranteeing I will do the same to them and the price will dive, rather than small quanities where we both get some money. Theyre trying to gently caress every sell order behind them unless I just buy them out, which I will eventually have to in order to get any return. IDK maybe I'm a newby at economics but this seems fuckin stupid.

The point of this behavior is to annoy you into leaving the market

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

The point of this behavior is to annoy you into leaving the market

At that point, I stop playing dumb games and just list my stuff for a price and let monthly averages take the wheel. Eventually I get bought out and I make a profit.

When you have hundreds/thousands of trade orders up it doesn't matter whether a particular order sells sooner vs later. It's like fishing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

it's not necessarily stupid

what is your order size? are you listing all of those 1000s of filament together? if so, they assume you won't want to eat the relist fee and are playing the long game. if you enter a price war with them, it will cost you more than it will them, so they expect you to give up before they do. irritating you into a buyout is also often the goal - they don't care who buys their poo poo, and goading the monopolizer into a buyout gets them a big sale. they're still profiting, presumably. and if you just sit there and let them eat the sales, well, now they don't have to worry about competition from your big stack.

your analysis that they're just going to crash the price would have been correct before the relist fee was added earlier this year. that's exactly the type of "market volatility" that ccp cited as the reason for the fee - an unshackled race to the bottom. now, with the relist fee eating a portion of your profits, nobody is as eager to be a keyboard warrior in the trade hubs constantly reviewing their orders as they once did.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Back in 2014 I used to be a part of a channel, where a bunch of scammers used to congregate to share stories of their scams, plan larger ops, get help on scams, etc. super fun and fine for the most part. When erotica1 ate a ban for the bonus room stuff, I recall a bunch of accounts just disappeared from that channel and the rumor was that a screenshot of it had made its way to CCP and they’d banned anyone in the channel at the time of the bonus room.

All that to say I 100% agree with globby not sharing his scams, way too dangerous when CCP always sides with the scammed vs the scammer. That experience actually put me off scamming with strangers because you never know what you’ll be caught up in. Hence my many accounts these days, because sometimes the best ally is yourself.

Edit to remove the name of the channel. Initials are BU for those that know what I’m talking about. Not sure if it’s still active and don’t want to screw anyone over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Jazerus posted:

it's not necessarily stupid

what is your order size? are you listing all of those 1000s of filament together? if so, they assume you won't want to eat the relist fee and are playing the long game. if you enter a price war with them, it will cost you more than it will them, so they expect you to give up before they do. irritating you into a buyout is also often the goal - they don't care who buys their poo poo, and goading the monopolizer into a buyout gets them a big sale. they're still profiting, presumably. and if you just sit there and let them eat the sales, well, now they don't have to worry about competition from your big stack.

your analysis that they're just going to crash the price would have been correct before the relist fee was added earlier this year. that's exactly the type of "market volatility" that ccp cited as the reason for the fee - an unshackled race to the bottom. now, with the relist fee eating a portion of your profits, nobody is as eager to be a keyboard warrior in the trade hubs constantly reviewing their orders as they once did.

The buy orders hovered around 60k the sell orders were around 200k. I was putting up around 20-30 quantity per sell order just beneath the current price. This went on for about a week, and now its gotten to the point that any new sell order they put up is 100s, I recently did the same at a barely profitable 85k. I honestly am not positive I'm even making money, but my hope is they undercut me at what is nearly the buyer price.