Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Doomykins posted:

I reflect on most games, though haven't noticed a significant trend of misplay on my end outside of getting totally outclassed and being unable to find people at all, total ninja stuff, pushing me towards learning some info perks. Maps are funny, I think I'm an outlier. Like you know how most killers hate Ormond? I love it because the survivors on the white filter/color palette are so easy for me to see. Coldwind is difficult because of the corn rows, interior maps are always a breeze, etc. Just the way my eyes focus.

A lot of the hate for Ormand stems from the initial release in which is was literally impossible to see totems, gens and survivor auras if they were outside about 48 meters. I believe it also also bigger overall and gens were so easy to separate it was essentially a lost battle at the start unless you could somehow find a good three gen with a strong defensive killer.

Like, I really cannot convey the frustration from trying to navigate that map as a killer or see literally anything. I reiterate, you could barely even see gens. It is much better now but after they fixed the issues it had, but old hate dies hard lol.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Killers should be able to see 1 perk each survivor has for every 5 ranks down the survivor is.

Yes, this means if I get queued up into a 12, 16, 4, 8, I should be able to see 1, 0, 3, 2 of their perks in the lobby, and also know generally who I'm dealing with rank-wise.

Survivors should not get anything additional.

This is pointless to ask for because survivors only use the same 4 perks at red ranks anyway. :pseudo:

For serious though, hard disagree with this. A lot of the fun of the game is trying to figure out player perks based on how they're playing and acting along with other signs. Having it spelled out for the killer would also suck the fun out of doing dumb meme builds or just off meta stuff as survivor because they would know exactly what to expect. The sheer amount of power this information would give would wildly through out the game out of balance imo.

For all the other stuff you've posted, the amount of skill in this game tied to just experience and learning maps/perks/killers is pretty insane. The Game is a pretty heavily killer sided map, and the others you've mentioned are all pains in the rear end till you learn them for either side and success is really tied to how well you know any given map after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Evil Kit posted:

A lot of the hate for Ormand stems from the initial release in which is was literally impossible to see totems, gens and survivor auras if they were outside about 48 meters.

Holey moley. :eyepop:

There's official bug forum posts reporting that some tome challenges are bugged, get 20k Deviousness as killer and 20k Objectives as survivor. I found that Huntress usually produced deviousness as normal and that objectives had a lot of trouble counting credit properly if you didn't finish the generator in question. Almost done filling out chapter 1 here except for *picks up notes and squints* land four chainsaws in a match as Billy. I know how it works and the fundamentals and theory and all but it just doesn't gel with me yet.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Evil Kit posted:

For all the other stuff you've posted, the amount of skill in this game tied to just experience and learning maps/perks/killers is pretty insane. The Game is a pretty heavily killer sided map, and the others you've mentioned are all pains in the rear end till you learn them for either side and success is really tied to how well you know any given map after a certain point.
Okay, then give me matchmaking that doesn't put me up against people who've clearly put in the hours to get (based on their perks) at least 3 other characters to levels 30-40 and are half my rank, because it's real hard to learn a map when they've gotten 2 gens down before I've gotten my first hook. Doesn't really make me want to play enough to learn at that point.

Also the Deviousness challenge is definitely bugged, since I've done multiple rounds tonight where I got 5-8k D and watched less than 1k of that end up credited on the progress bar (so it's not even like it's getting multiplied by BBQ&Chili and an offering and then only counting base, something's off).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Okay, then give me matchmaking that doesn't put me up against people who've clearly put in the hours to get (based on their perks) at least 3 other characters to levels 30-40 and are half my rank, because it's real hard to learn a map when they've gotten 2 gens down before I've gotten my first hook. Doesn't really make me want to play enough to learn at that point.

Since BHVR struggles with this themselves I unfortunately cannot help you. I can only leave you with the words of Rank means nothing in terms of player skill, it's just a measure of how much any given player has played that month. You could end up with a bunch of rank 20 survivors in your lobby that dunk on you because it's a bunch of expert 1000+ hour players that haven't played for a while, or a team of rank 1 survivors that are absolute potatoes and you question how the hell they even made it to red ranks with barely 3 digit gameplay hours and a distinct inability to loop.

As for the perks they have the Shrine of Secrets exists, so they may not even have leveled those characters up and just gotten them via the shrine. Most of the non-dlc survivor are where the majority of good survivor perks are located as well. Hell, someone just needs to level Bill to 40 and boom you have 2 of the big meta perks off one survivor.

My only advice would be to watch this video because it's probably the single most important thing to learn in the game. Hell, the entire thread should watch this.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I understand that you're trying to be helpful but I replied to a post with this video in it, about watching this video, on the previous page. Sometimes people just want to complain and aren't asking for your feedback.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Managing tilt is probably the most important skill in any multiplayer game, not just DBD.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I understand that you're trying to be helpful but I replied to a post with this video in it, about watching this video, on the previous page. Sometimes people just want to complain and aren't asking for your feedback.

I'm willing to bet I'm tired enough that after posting this elsewhere I forgot I got it from the thread originally, so my genuine apologies. Any advice I will give unless you want specific builds or gameplay tips will just boil down to this though: find your fun in the game. If you can't find any fun in it, I'd totally understand if you ended up dropping it.

I'm trying to post from a place of genuinely enjoying parts of the game, and also feeling similar frustrations at certain things. I often drop this game for a while to play other things because it really is a thing best enjoyed with friends or in smaller doses if solo.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I picked this game back up but I'm ready to quit. How are you supposed dodge leatherface? I guess he was changed since I last played and its just pointless.

temple fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 23, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

temple posted:

I picked this game back up but I'm ready to quit. How are you supposed leatherface? I guess he was changed since I last played and its just pointless.
Are you having trouble finding the survivors or in subduing them? Playing at this hour also tends to get the sweatiest folks in NA

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I meant to say dodge him. I don't know what you do against him other than hide.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

temple posted:

He still tantrums if his swing hits something, and his swings are pretty wide, so try not to get caught in the open without places to turn sharply and hug the terrain. The big change now is that he's in chainsaw range from much farther away (about lunge range without add-ons, I think?) He doesn't have to be right up your butt before he can down you any more.

Edit: Honestly, the scariest thing about Bubba, IMO, is that there's no such thing as a safe pallet against him.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 23, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

temple posted:

Try using Jake Park's Caterpillar Drive, or Claudette's Romulan Cloaking Device.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, Leatherface is very map-dependent. Interiors are hell if the player isn't used to just how big the hitbox for collision is when swinging the chainsaw around. Wide open spaces are his domain so try your best to avoid detection. Leatherface is also hosed over by windows and jungle gyms (the mazes of walls and windows lying around the maps). He is a very feast-or-famine killer, he either snowballs out of control with a double-triple down or he camps a hook for half the match while everyone does gens.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A thing to keep in mind when playing into Leatherface is that he's almost definitely going to be running BBQ & Chili (which honestly most killers will, but since it starts in his web it's safe to assume any given one you run into WILL have it from level 1 on). What this means is that whenever he gets a hook, if you're more than 40 meters from the hook he'll see your aura for 4 seconds.
So you have two options once you hear the 'survivor downed' audio sting and once you see them getting picked up:
1. Sprint over there then crouch and try to stay within the range where it won't reveal your aura.
2. Get ready to either sprint in a direction and then stop and double back after counting to 4, or kneel in one spot, count to 2, crouch and scuttle in one direction for a few more seconds then sprint the other way

If he's paying attention to where other survivors are when he's hooking people, you can either make him waste time trying to chase you where you aren't (which means you don't even have to engage with dodging him!), or you're practicing ghosting a killer to get a fast unhook for your allies (which then gives him a target to chase instead of you, bonus).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So you have two four options once you hear the 'survivor downed' audio sting and once you see them getting picked up:
1. Sprint over there then crouch and try to stay within the range where it won't reveal your aura.
2. Get ready to either sprint in a direction and then stop and double back after counting to 4, or kneel in one spot, count to 2, crouch and scuttle in one direction for a few more seconds then sprint the other way

3. Get in a locker during the hooking.
4. Get behind a generator during the hooking, because it hides your aura.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

A thing to keep in mind when playing into Leatherface is that he's almost definitely going to be running BBQ & Chili (which honestly most killers will, but since it starts in his web it's safe to assume any given one you run into WILL have it from level 1 on). What this means is that whenever he gets a hook, if you're more than 40 meters from the hook he'll see your aura for 4 seconds.
So you have two options once you hear the 'survivor downed' audio sting and once you see them getting picked up:

If he's paying attention to where other survivors are when he's hooking people, you can either make him waste time trying to chase you where you aren't (which means you don't even have to engage with dodging him!), or you're practicing ghosting a killer to get a fast unhook for your allies (which then gives him a target to chase instead of you, bonus).

I honestly forget BBQ does this all the time, even if it just doubled BP I'd still always run it

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Danaru posted:

I honestly forget BBQ does this all the time, even if it just doubled BP I'd still always run it
It is the only teachable perk I have unlocked, which is a good way to keep everything it does top-of-mind.

rydiafan posted:

3. Get in a locker during the hooking.
4. Get behind a generator during the hooking, because it hides your aura.
Oh good call on these! The generator one is tricky because if you don't have the angle just right, you look like a lumpy generator, which is as good as running around waving your hands. Love to chase down lumpy generators.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bubba's only strength is his chainsaw sweep, which is a powerful ability but very one-dimensional - there's no real trickery or deception around it, he's running at you with a chainsaw. The biggest deal is that you need to have some kind of resource to deal with him, and can't just run through open areas, take a hit, and get away. Pallets are weaker versus him than other killers since he can just sweep them almost instantly, but vaults are great for getting away and possibly triggering a tantrum if it's going to be a close getaway from the saw.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I just had a duel with a leather using the tips and it went well. Everyone escaped but me. But that's the dbd trophy I guess. Just stick to opposite end of the map and run to jungle gyms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Now you get to experience the really weird killers who make you feel like there’s no counterplay!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I installed Dead by Daylight.

Have I made a huge mistake? What should I know before trying to play it?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While I love playing most of the killers in this game, there are def a handful whose counterplay is unintuitive and not really understandable unless you A) play the killer yourself or B) have it explained to you.

Plague? Fun to play, you puke on people and make Iron Will and healing perks totally useless. To play vs? Probably my most hated killer at this point because her counter play is "lol just don't heal and gen rush bro" which is stupid, also I'm the weirdo who likes doing healing builds and her kit just counters me the majority of my perks when I do it full stop. Which is not fun, especially since I have no choice in the matter going into the match.

Freddy? Since his rework, he's pretty strong now. Map pressure, good chase pressure with traps to help cut loop times, your power counters BT which is one of the most prevalent and powerful survivor perks without much effort from yourself. Why is he counterintuitive? First time survivors have no idea that being in the dreamworld gives Freddy a huge cooldown reduction on his gen TP. You could argue "But Dreamworld is his power, of course being in it is bad!" and that you are, by design, subtly pushed toward waking yourself up with the clock, via a friend or failing a skill check. Also the fact a killer with a map wide TP AND traps for helping his chases is still 115% ms is beyond me.

As much as I love Hag, there is nothing to indicate in actual gameplay crouching over them will not trigger Hag traps. Or that flashlights both reveal and destroy them. Just the single time you load into a match for the first time against her you get some loading screen hints, which you may or may not have enough time to read depending on how good whatever you're playing on is.

poo poo, maybe I should just make a small list of all the dumb stuff you wouldn't know about a killer unless you played or were told about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

I installed Dead by Daylight.

Have I made a huge mistake? What should I know before trying to play it?
Play the tutorial, read the player’s guide.

Don’t worry so much about winning or losing at first. If you get a bunch of points, you had a good game. So do risky things. Have fun.

For survivors, level Claudette, Dwight, or Meg first, depending on what play style suits you best. They’re easy to learn and each have at least one amazing perk. For killers, fool around with different ones before you commit, they’re all very unique. Trapper is harder than the game suggests, but still try him out. You can get the OC killers with in game currency but if you want a licensed killer, you (basically) have to buy the DLC. So if you REALLY wanna play Pyramid Head, just buy and play Pyramid Head.

Once you’ve got a few games under your belt, then the videos for how to get better will make more sense. A streamer and Youtuber named Otzdarva (“not Otzdarva” on YouTube)has a lot of helpful videos for newbies playing killer (and just in general), but IDK if there’s a good survivor resource that’s as one-stop-shopping. Others could recommend stuff, I’m sure.

Edit: Don’t ignore Rift objectives or forget to cash them in, they’re worth a LOT of blood points and it really adds up.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 23, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been playing since before you could kick generators and I JUST found out about crouching over Hag's traps while doing the last rift :negative:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PMush Perfect posted:

You can get the OC killers with in game currency but if you want a licensed killer, you (basically) have to buy the DLC. So if you REALLY wanna play Pyramid Head, just buy and play Pyramid Head.

As a relative newbie, I would recommend buying Leatherface if only because their perk (BBQ and Chili) significantly improves the BP grind. If you get DLC, that's what I would do first.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You can play a character you like and shove BP into anyone after the match to unlock their perks.

Don't buy auric cells immediately if you want a specific character. Check the steam/etc store to see if they're in a combo pack with a survivor, then compare values vs direct cash purchase. You won't get cells refunded if you buy piecemeal and then complete the pack, for example.

Nea for Balanced Landing, Meg for Sprint Burst and Adrenaline, Claudette for Botany and Empathy, Jake for Iron Will, Bill for Unbreakable and Borrowed Time, David for Dead Hard, Dwight for Bond. Kindred is a neutral perk and a crazy good starter, it is a massive information boost. Others are good too like Self Care but a poorly timed Self Care stuns yourself for 30 seconds before your next down.

If you want to get ahead of the pack as survivor you need to play a bit of killer. At least enough to appreciate the sound cues they get, what scratch marks from sloppy running looks like and how narrow their field of vision is. There's a point where crouch jukes fail 90% of the time against most killers. Wear headphones to understand how loud things can be. Sounds ignore z axis, for example. Being injured can be like an air raid siren broadcasting your location. You make injured noises inside lockers.

Don't try to "get back" at the killer with aggressive unhooks even if you feel the call of altruism. Even honorable non camp killers consider it fair game to investigate nearby survivor and scratch sightings. If a normal terror radius is still audible when you unhook they're going to 180 and run somebody down for at least a hit.

Wearing very bright cosmetics is a handicap unless you want to play Pro Looper Chase Bait Man.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Blendette", any Claudette cosmetic loadout that makes her almost completely earth-tone (she's small and dark-skinned, making her the best fit for this type of appearance), is a cliche and you'll hear people complaining about it, but it's a genuinely effective strategy. It won't get you into TOO many bad habits, since being overly ballsy will still get you killed no matter what you're wearing.

Edit: What WILL get you into bad habits is Self Care. Not only do you waste a shitload of time that could be better spent finding another survivor to heal you literally twice as quickly (and then healing them or working on a gen together), but pretty soon you'll start running into killers who will expect Blendettes to run Self-Care. As soon as you get away while injured, they'll check the nearest "hide and heal myself" spots and down you anyways.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 23, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doomykins posted:

Even honorable non camp killers consider it fair game to investigate nearby survivor and scratch sightings. If a normal terror radius is still audible when you unhook they're going to 180 and run somebody down for at least a hit.

This bit of e-bushido for DBD kind of cracks me up. I've had multiple people scream at me after a match and accuse me of camping hooks like this:

Them: hook camper
Me: you kept bombing the hooks, so i stayed and caught you
Them: we had to bomb the hooks, you were camping

Like you guys know there is more to your side of things than unhooks right. I'm not going to stand fifty feet away and politely allow you to unhook people because it's "fair", especially when you're being hyperaggressive rather than fixing gens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

This bit of e-bushido for DBD kind of cracks me up. I've had multiple people scream at me after a match and accuse me of camping hooks like this:

Them: hook camper
Me: you kept bombing the hooks, so i stayed and caught you
Them: we had to bomb the hooks, you were camping

Like you guys know there is more to your side of things than unhooks right. I'm not going to stand fifty feet away and politely allow you to unhook people because it's "fair", especially when you're being hyperaggressive rather than fixing gens.
Bonus points if you're Huntress and you actually are 50 30 feet away.

Me: Walks into a jungle gym to kick a nearby gen after hooking someone. (I don't even have Pop, it's just a habit I'm trying to get into.)
Them: Obviously go for the unhook because they're SWFers.
Me: Walk out far enough to get a clear shot and throw a hatchet, downing the guy who just got unhooked.
Them: loving TUNNELER.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That's the other hilarious thing, "tunneling" used for everything.

My dudes, the developers made it so sacrificing people requires you to hook the same person several times unless the enemy team is extremely negligent and just lets them die. You also can reset your hooks at any time with healing. But it's some sort of dishonorable thing to hook the same person several times? Like the game is designed for you to do?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lmao if u dont just tell people to get good when they rudely demand you to go easy on them when doing ranked matchmaking in a video game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

You also can reset your hooks at any time with healing.
:confused:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In that if a survivor heals back to full health then their 3-hooks-then-automatic-death count resets

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I knew this game was survivor sided!!!

But seriously, that's not a thing. Nothing can save a survivor from hook count. You may have encountered players using identical cosmetics/same character. Healing undoes pressure from successful hits.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I knew this game was survivor sided!!!

But seriously, that's not a thing. Nothing can save a survivor from hook count. You may have encountered players using identical cosmetics/same character. Healing undoes pressure from successful hits.

Really? Because I could have sworn i have played as a survivor and been hooked more than three times because I healed in between.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I assume you miscounted or were slugged/left in the dying state. There's no penalty to downs until you're hooked or bleed out entirely. If four survivor take 12 hooks, they're all dead. One survivor takes three hooks, they're gone. The only possible change is accelerating things with moris or going from hook 1 to the struggle phase.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Really? Because I could have sworn i have played as a survivor and been hooked more than three times because I healed in between.

Nope. Once a hook state is gone it is gone for good.

The thing with tunneling is it's of mixed utility. Like you're not gonna win against good survivors doing a merry-go-round of making sure you hook everyone once before hooking everyone a second time, but just bee lining straight for one person over and over is basically giving up easier chases and letting the survivors know not to worry even if the terror radius is blaring in their ears.

But also a lot of survivors never ever consider how exposed and vulnerable they're making themselves. Or how their team might be loving them over by refusing to get chased.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I like what Otz says in his starter killer video about tunneling and chases: Decide what you're trying to get out of the next 15 seconds of the game whenever you start a chase. Is it downing the survivor? Is it driving them towards a gen you were going to investigate or kick anyway? Is it funneling them towards other survivors?

In light of that, it seems like the only time you could plausibly call something "tunneling" is if you focus one survivor to the detriment of your success on the map as a whole (like chasing one person past a gen with 3 survivors on it and not stopping to land some hits and a kick), kind of like it's only reasonably hook camping if you're standing there swatting a hanger while gens get finished, only slugging if you're just putting people on the ground and never, ever hooking them even when you've got nothing better going on nearby, etc.

However I do believe sincerely that if a survivor is trying to body-block a hook while you're carrying a body then they should be downed by the first time you swing anywhere near them.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Other important news:

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1319715295230132226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also for a starting survivor: Super recommend Meg because she has a mobility skill, and early on getting away from a killer feels super out of your hands