Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

RatHat posted:

Duels is so incredibly unbalanced. That's fine in a Solo mode or Tavern brawl, but in a mode against other players, for significant rewards, that costs Gold to enter, it's not very fun.

Arena, a mode where you get an incredibly different draft than everyone else, is just as unbalanced.

I think Duel's totally fine at the moment, looking forward to seeing what a ticket costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I hope they let me use my arena tickets in duels.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ They are. It's changing to a single type of ticket that you can use for either Arena or Duels.

PneumonicBook posted:

Arena, a mode where you get an incredibly different draft than everyone else, is just as unbalanced.

I think Duel's totally fine at the moment, looking forward to seeing what a ticket costs.

Except you can do it consistently in Duels. Some characters just have way better treasures than others.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I was absolutely terrified that 'Win 6 Duels' was about to pop up when I finished the last quest. Goodbye forever, just like Battlegrounds.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I started playing bomb warrior since last season i only saw druids. I hate it, because my opponents never seem to draw bombs. Turn after turn. No bombs. I know it's rng but it is frustrating none the less.
So when a demon tried to dig for lethal and blew themselves up it was a good cathartic moment. I had lethal anyway, and I'm not sure what tjey could have pulled since they'd used a lot of damage to get me down to 1 hp (and thwn i gained 5 armour and they were stumped).

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Same as Arena, there is one ticket that you can use to enter either mode.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ah yes. Bombs to deactivate reno, mage puzzle boxes into plot twist self lethal.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Julio Cruz posted:

you need to draw basically your entire deck to make sure you get all the Pieces, and you need to stay alive while you do it

it's Mechathun except it doesn't even guarantee you win the game
Well the difference is the 4 spells that make up the pieces of C'Thun are all decent, control deck type things. None of the spells are incredible but they can all do work in a Control Priest shell, for example.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've got some Legendaries laying around from the first years of Hearthstone, as well as some more modern garbage ones. Which of these do you think are safe to disenchant?

Hakkar, the Soulflayer, Nefarian, The Lich King, Kel’Thuzad, Chromaggus, Ragnaros, The Curator, Keymaster Alabaster, Dr. Boom, The Black Knight, Sylvanas Windrunner, Hemet, Jungle Hunter, Cairne Bloodhoof, Elise the Trialblazer, Barnes, Maiev Shadowsong, Genzo, the Shark, Brightwing, Hack the System, Lyra the Sunshard, Prince Liam

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

You can safely disenchant all of those minus Rag Sylvanas the Lich King KT Cairne and The Black Knight if you ever plan on playing wild because those are all decent old legendaries

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Beasteh posted:

You can safely disenchant all of those minus Rag Sylvanas the Lich King KT Cairne and The Black Knight if you ever plan on playing wild because those are all decent old legendaries

Cheers. I do play Wild, but even there it seems most of these have been superseded by stronger or more synergistic legendaries in most decks?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boatswain posted:

I've got some Legendaries laying around from the first years of Hearthstone, as well as some more modern garbage ones. Which of these do you think are safe to disenchant?

Hakkar, the Soulflayer, Nefarian, The Lich King, Kel’Thuzad, Chromaggus, Ragnaros, The Curator, Keymaster Alabaster, Dr. Boom, The Black Knight, Sylvanas Windrunner, Hemet, Jungle Hunter, Cairne Bloodhoof, Elise the Trialblazer, Barnes, Maiev Shadowsong, Genzo, the Shark, Brightwing, Hack the System, Lyra the Sunshard, Prince Liam

I’d say Lich King, Ragnaros, Dr. Boom, Black Knight, Sylvannas, Cairne, Maiev, And Lyra are worth keeping. The rest are either bad or too gimmicky. Maybe Brightwing too, it’s alright if you need an extra dragon in a deck.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Duels is fun, but they really have to get rid of some of the OP passives. Robes of Gaudiness is in there, and if you get that alongside a deck that has decent-priced cards, matches become REALLY one-sided. I had multiple games where I had 2-3 minions with 10/10+ stats by turn 3.

Just had a 9 win run and by the time you get up to 8-9 wins the games get pretty nutty. I had a good buff paladin deck going but was finally beaten by someone who had the passive that all low-cost minions are poisonous alongside the rush passive and it was just impossible to stick anything on the board.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
duels are neat but they feel more like a weekly brawl than a brand new game mode imo

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Boatswain posted:

The new duels mode has you building half a deck from your collection including some wild sets right? So might be worth keeping wild legendaries for a few more weeks in case you like that mode and they suddenly become slightly more relevant?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Boatswain posted:

RatHat posted:

I’d say Lich King, Ragnaros, Dr. Boom, Black Knight, Sylvannas, Cairne, Maiev, And Lyra are worth keeping. The rest are either bad or too gimmicky. Maybe Brightwing too, it’s alright if you need an extra dragon in a deck.

These recommendations are solid but I think a couple more of them are worth keeping.

Curator: Costly but it's a reasonably fat taunt that also draws three, and the three are specific enough that you can build your deck to draw a specific one if you don't draw it naturally
Hemet: The effect is useful for certain combo applications that might expand as the available card selection in wild expands over time
Barnes: Got slightly nerfed but still promising for rez strategies
Hack The System: I actually play a standard Hack deck which does ok in platinum ranks and I think it's worth keeping around as a just-in-case or -funsies. Spitting out two 4/3s a turn for four mana plus doing other stuff is actually really hard for even grindy rez priest to keep up with.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Call me nerd, I don't care, N'zoth is the loving coolest motherfucker in this godforsaken game and I never was so willing to pay money for this poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If they’re going to shamelessly crib from their old expansions then I’m glad they’re doing wotog

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hemet, Jungle Hunter is basically the lynchpin to Mecha’thun warlock, though I haven’t really seen that deck any more since the second Kael nerf.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Thanks for all recs. Ideally I'd keep them all but as it stands I'd rather use the dust to craft universally strong cards. I'm gonna hold off until after the new expansion anyways and we'll see then.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Have they said how much the mini expansions are? Because the pre order bundles are the same.

Basically I'm asking if the cost of HS just jumped up like 25% for no reason, especially considering we don't know the cost of the battle pass.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just got a 12-0 duels run with Razorgore + infinite weapons + robes of gaudiness. Robes are probably too good for this mode.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Regalingualius posted:

Hemet, Jungle Hunter is basically the lynchpin to Mecha’thun warlock, though I haven’t really seen that deck any more since the second Kael nerf.

It's still a potential combo enabler.

Boatswain posted:

At this point, I'd recommend just keeping legendary cards unless they are genuinely weapons - grade trash (millhouse, Sally, arfus, etc as examples). Most of those have niche uses that could be alynchpin, and some are just strong (kt, lk, rag, keymaster, sylv, lyra)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Chernabog posted:

Just got a 12-0 duels run with Razorgore + infinite weapons + robes of gaudiness. Robes are probably too good for this mode.

No probably about it. Ran a big DH to 11 easily with them. Turns out t3 fury into t4 ancient void breaks people.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Fenarisk posted:

Have they said how much the mini expansions are? Because the pre order bundles are the same.

Basically I'm asking if the cost of HS just jumped up like 25% for no reason, especially considering we don't know the cost of the battle pass.

Thought someone said the mini set is 35 cards but I'd have to verify.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Thought someone said the mini set is 35 cards but I'd have to verify.

Yeah they're 35 cards.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
35 cards that can be crafted and will be added to existing packs rather than cordoned off in a separate adventure.

With no duplicates in packs, I can't envision it being *that* much of a cost increase.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 23, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
If anything, with a reasonable distribution, it's basically a week off packs.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Semper Fudge posted:

35 cards that can be crafted and will be added to existing packs rather than cordoned off in a separate adventure.

With no duplicates in packs, I can't envision it being *that* much of a cost increase.

Without the dupe protection it’d be horrible but otherwise I guess that’s an ok way to do things, the commons and races you’ll generally be full up on by then so you’d get them in a half dozen packs

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hack The System: I actually play a standard Hack deck which does ok in platinum ranks and I think it's worth keeping around as a just-in-case or -funsies. Spitting out two 4/3s a turn for four mana plus doing other stuff is actually really hard for even grindy rez priest to keep up with.

Do you have a list for the Hack the System deck? I tried using Kibler's which was mostly bomb warrior with HtS in it, but didn't do good since I'm not a pro like Kibler. I love golems and want to make it work somewhat.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Only managed to pull off the OTK once so far: https://hsreplay.net/replay/2HpLkSVP7j5wCZ2d8RTCMZ#turn=19b, but odd warrior with Silas Darkmoon to give the other person Soulbound Ashtongue (when it takes damage, do that dmg to your hero), then shield slam with like 30 armor is fun. Not many games in total, but 5-3 in wild legend so far. Most games just go to fatigue though, and people quit before you can pull off the combo. The person in the replay was nice enough to stick around even when he was taking 5+ dmg fatigue.

### odd combo
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Eternium Rover
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 1x (1) Soulbound Ashtongue
# 2x (1) Sword and Board
# 2x (3) Bash
# 2x (3) Bladestorm
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 2x (3) Coldlight Oracle
# 2x (3) EVIL Quartermaster
# 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
# 1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
# 2x (3) Ravaging Ghoul
# 2x (3) Reckless Flurry
# 2x (3) Shield Block
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 1x (5) Dyn-o-matic
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (7) Silas Darkmoon
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAEBAQcIogKFF9PFAp74Ap77AqCAA+O+A8jhAwtLogT4B/8HqRWCrQLK5wKz/ALZrQO4uQP2wgMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so it turns out the one thing that fucks your poo poo up as a Libram Paladin is DH face/zoo decks

and it fucks your poo poo up hard too, the only way i would have had any chance of board control is if i drew Consecration and the RNG was not that nice to me

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

so it turns out the one thing that fucks your poo poo up as a Libram Paladin is DH face/zoo decks

and it fucks your poo poo up hard too, the only way i would have had any chance of board control is if i drew Consecration and the RNG was not that nice to me

I just had a game where I was the DH against Libram Paladin. When it came time for what could have been a Consecration turn I Mana Burned.

Won the game rather easily and think I 100% against that deck so far.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This is why you run the deck with pyro for quick libram clears early or pyro with libram of justice mid game, even better if you can slap the twinspell lifesteal card on it.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Duels is pretty fun from the few games I played, but there's definitely balances to be worked out. As mentioned earlier, I wasn't heavy into dungeon runs so I'm not sure of the precise mechanics, but the best balance method would be to organize the tiering better so that certain insane options aren't available until you've gotten to a large enough number of wins that the craziness is offset by your opponent's potential craziness.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Do you have a list for the Hack the System deck? I tried using Kibler's which was mostly bomb warrior with HtS in it, but didn't do good since I'm not a pro like Kibler. I love golems and want to make it work somewhat.

I just changed this today, swapping a Corsair Cache for another Wrenchcalibur, 3 weapons/2 Cache just doesn't seem great compared to going with 4/1, especially with the nerf and wanting to improve the odds of a good pull with Hoard Pillager if I've already seen a Gan'arg axe or two.

### Basic Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Athletic Studies
# 1x (1) Hack the System
# 2x (1) Imprisoned Gan'arg
# 2x (1) Sword and Board
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 1x (2) Corsair Cache
# 1x (2) Frightened Flunky
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) EVIL Quartermaster
# 2x (3) Livewire Lance
# 2x (4) Hoard Pillager
# 1x (4) Kargath Bladefist
# 1x (4) Sky Gen'ral Kragg
# 2x (4) Wrenchcalibur
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 1x (5) Captain Greenskin
# 1x (5) Doctor Krastinov
# 2x (6) Armored Goon
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
#
AAECAQcI0gLIA4KoA/eoA/O3A765A8C5A6rSAwtL1ASalAP1qAP2qAPZrQPosAO8uQP2wgPizAP+0QMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

-The deck doesn't necessarily live and die by drawing a weapon early, there's a couple things that you can work with in the meanwhile. Frightened Flunky/Wandmaker/EVIL Quartermaster give you value and board presence.
-The Frightened Flunky might seem weird but getting a second Sky Gen'ral Kragg or a cheap Dread Corsair can be handy at times. Or just grab something big and beefy out of the lot if it's the late game.
-Wandmaker provides a bevy of good options, the only super-dead draw is Into The Fray, with Shield of Honor and Charge being less useful but still somewhat useful. Upgrade! is actually a good pull in this deck.
-Pinging your own Grommash can let you steal games out of nowhere. The two Sword and Board can help, but Wandmaker can also give you Improve Morale, Shield Slam, another Sword and Board, or Whirlwind.
-Use the starting (Armor) hero power as often as you can get away with it before it swaps. You have ways to get Armor after the switch, but every bit helps. You tend to play the long game.
-If you have Imprisoned Gan'arg in your opening hand, the best route is usually to play it t1, hero power or 2 drop t2, then quest t3 along with either another hero power or a 2 drop.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Duels is pretty fun from the few games I played, but there's definitely balances to be worked out. As mentioned earlier, I wasn't heavy into dungeon runs so I'm not sure of the precise mechanics, but the best balance method would be to organize the tiering better so that certain insane options aren't available until you've gotten to a large enough number of wins that the craziness is offset by your opponent's potential craziness.

They do do this - the first set of treasures you get are much weaker than the later ones. You get the OP ones fairly early on though (like after 3-4 games I think)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Are only people playing Duels right now that pre-ordered the mega bundle? If so, I feel like I'm gonna spring for it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Strawberry Panda posted:

Are only people playing Duels right now that pre-ordered the mega bundle? If so, I feel like I'm gonna spring for it.

I think you get early access with the cheaper one too (I'm not 100% sure, so double check).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Strawberry Panda posted:

You get access from either bundle, and apparently you can randomly win access by having Twitch open starting next week too.

"Blizzard will be giving away Duels: Early Access to 500 random viewers every hour, across the entire Hearthstone category on Twitch

When?

From 28th October at 10:00 AM PT to November 11 at 11 PM PT.

You can watch any Hearthstone stream to be eligible to receive a drop, so long as your Battle.net and Twitch accounts are linked."