Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MechaSeinfeld posted:

oh no kidding? wheres The Flaming Carrot/Mystery Men game I've been after since 99
No I am kidding. It just sounds like names I heard from Image Comics back then. I remember characters named Bloodwulf, Darkchylde and Ninjak, for example.

Edit: oh, Ninjak was Valiant Comics.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The original title was a much more normal "Gods and Monsters", and if you read the Wikipedia page on its development, the whole thing screams "Management and Marketing hosed with this".

they also didn't want to bother fighting a lawsuit with Monster Energy about it

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/ubisoft-changed-gods-monsters-name-because-it-violated-monster-energy-s-trademark-603623.phtml

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rabidsquid posted:

people at college in the 80s would have thought the ps5 was cool as poo poo tho

ps5 is cool looking.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

No I am kidding. It just sounds like names I heard from Image Comics back then. I remember characters named Bloodwulf, Darkchylde and Ninjak, for example.

Edit: oh, Ninjak was Valiant Comics.

Oh lol. Darkclyde

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The original title was a much more normal "Gods and Monsters", and if you read the Wikipedia page on its development, the whole thing screams "Management and Marketing hosed with this".

They very much did. Specifically the guy who sexually harassed everybody

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Holy poo poo, I thought Monster had a drink called Gods and Monsters, but no it's any product with Monster in the name from toys to dog treats. Somebody warn Capcom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thundercracker posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought Monster had a drink called Gods and Monsters, but no it's any product with Monster in the name from toys to dog treats. Somebody warn Capcom.

Monster probably wouldn’t win the lawsuit but a lot of companies don’t want the trouble anyway.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Press getting PS5s?
https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1319608389887008768

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

KingSlime posted:

yeah dude you can safely assume that when people are talking about college parties they are not talking about college parties from 30 years ago

They distinctly used the qualifier "any party ever" which means that parties at colleges even before there were TVs are in play here, furthermore, :umberto:

rabidsquid posted:

people at college in the 80s would have thought the ps5 was cool as poo poo tho

It's true. We would have. We also would have wondered WTF it was or what it did, since we didn't have internet or TVs it could connect to.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I wonder what he can burn his fingers on this time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nice of walmart to randomly bill me for the PS5 last night without any warning. It's just seven hundred dollars no big deal

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Walrus posted:

nice of walmart to randomly bill me for the PS5 last night without any warning. It's just seven hundred dollars no big deal

It's likely just a renewal of the authorization hold and not an actual charge. Target did the same for my pre-order.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
https://twitter.com/elisefavis/status/1319637385488060424

Plenty of others tweeting they have them now. No pattern to the times so assuming they are allowed under embargo to post a pic of the box as soon as FedEx or UPS or whoever drop them off, probably getting sent priority overnight.

Also many saying that's all for today so probably Monday at the earliest for anything else.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Red Warrior posted:

Plenty of others tweeting they have them now. No pattern to the times so assuming they are allowed under embargo to post a pic of the box as soon as FedEx or UPS or whoever drop them off, probably getting sent priority overnight.

Also many saying that's all for today so probably Monday at the earliest for anything else.

I think it will be a bit later. That box is clearly just just for the controllers.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

bradzilla posted:

It's likely just a renewal of the authorization hold and not an actual charge. Target did the same for my pre-order.

lol target has run mine once a week since 9/16, so 5 times now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Afro posted:

lol target has run mine once a week since 9/16, so 5 times now

Same. Three more charges to go!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Yeah that thing everyone said wasnt happening that xbox was doing, turns out, is happening.

https://twitter.com/EasyAllies/status/1319647631031689217?s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What thing? Sending out gimped systems with reduced functionality to try and sell next gen via old games?

These are looking to be actual review units.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Real hurthling! posted:

What thing? Sending out gimped systems with reduced functionality to try and sell next gen via old games?

Wait, lol, have they only been sending out the S? Havent been paying attention, im lock and loaded for a disc ps5 novemver 19th.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I haven't seen anyone with an S, they've been sending out the X

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there any source for this or is it just a weird assumption based on the fact they all say preview unit or whatever on the back?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I haven't seen anyone with an S, they've been sending out the X

Ah cool, i should probably look it up, gonna get an x next year at some point

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure DF has an X and an S.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm pretty DtF with an Xbox SX

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really should call the mid-cycle refresh the Xbox Series Z (pronounced Zee for you UK people.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red Warrior posted:

Edit: never mind. Wildly misunderstood the scale of this picture.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is an image I've been trying to find for a while but I feel like it's lost to time. It's Big O being dwarfed by an even larger giant robot, that was photoshopped to have an original Xbox for a body.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

There is an image I've been trying to find for a while but I feel like it's lost to time. It's Big O being dwarfed by an even larger giant robot, that was photoshopped to have an original Xbox for a body.
That would work with Giant Robo/Tetsujin 28. His body is roughly Duke-shaped

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

first off, i apologize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZ6yLeC1OI

but it works kinda on the ps4, the microphone works on ps4 (finally) and it works on pc and ...xcloud... just fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is there any source for this or is it just a weird assumption based on the fact they all say preview unit or whatever on the back?

?? They had a whitelist of games they could play and other games failed to boot, the units didnt come in official packaging, no native software was provided, etc

they were not review units as typically envisioned (ie, the actual product sent to reviewers to review, which we can assume is what these ps5s are because they are getting them in the retail packaging)

They were like some weird early access influencer demo unit.
Is this controversial? Im confused

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

?? They had a whitelist of games they could play and other games failed to boot, the units didnt come in official packaging, no native software was provided, etc

they were not review units as typically envisioned (ie, the actual product sent to reviewers to review, which we can assume is what these ps5s are because they are getting them in the retail packaging)

Wasn’t the whitelist just the normal BC whitelist system that Xbox BC has had since the 360?

Other than that they’re supposed to just be normal xbox units, I don’t think anyone else anywhere has claimed they’re anything else.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No it was only like 200 games

Im not saying the Xbox was different im saying they were not review units. Units fit to be reviewed, for official reviews.

Thats what these ps5s are

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Real hurthling! posted:

They were just managing the roll-out of games to the systems in line with whatever their embargo process is so the information drips out at the rate they want and no-one 'accidentally' jumps the gun.

Some outlets (the initial group) got 'prototype' labeled systems that Microsoft said were functionally identical to actual retail ones, doesn't seem to be any reason to doubt that. Some outlets and youtubers etc. then also got final retail systems.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ty. Yes. Not trying to be pedantic.
Just saying this is sony being traditional, not following in ms' footsteps

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m fairly certain every video I watched about the Series X even said either before or during the review that they need to stress they were told these are technically not final product for review. It’s probably just Microsoft wanting to make sure people didn’t review them as a final product but I’m fairly certain that was explained by multiple outlets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

No it was only like 200 games

Im not saying the Xbox was different im saying they were not review units. Units fit to be reviewed, for official reviews.

Thats what these ps5s are

How do you know?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Ty. Yes. Not trying to be pedantic.
Just saying this is sony being traditional, not following in ms' footsteps

It’s the literal definition of pedantic but ok.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

How do you know?

Microsoft was adding games weekly when reviewers first got their units. There were around 1000 games available to play the first weekend reviewers had access and now everything is playable, from what I understand. There may be embargos still for some enhanced games.

This is a normal thing. Prerelease units get major patches when reviewers are using them. For example, the PlayStation 4 got a massive, multi-gig patch that fixed a ton of errors and enabled PSN a week or less before launch. These modern systems are fluid up to and after launch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So Sony will still be criticized despite being the first company to provide retail versions for review, right? All that matters is some beta version got released to the dude from IGN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Honestly who gives a poo poo if they were official fresh out of the box retail models vs units grabbed off the assembly line and stickered specifically for previewing?

Who’s to say these PS5s weren’t also picked out in the same way and boxed up especially for previews?

I’ve preordered a PS5 so it’s not like I’m in here trying to shill for Xbox but of all the things to try and squabble over between the two camps this might be the silliest.