Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Swiper no swiping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dreylad posted:

peterson often overstates his case, and then walks it back when challenged, a form of argumentation called 'motte and bailey' which ironically was something academics their postmodern colleagues of doing in the early 2000s.

this is a style of rhetoric that i see time to time that drives me up the loving wall and i’m glad that i now have a name for it

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lobster is the one food I’ve never been able to keep down. I can eat buckets of shrimp and crab and any mollusk you can name but a few hours after consuming delicious lobster, I start to ralph and hurl.

Something something western civilization.

but is it run of the mill nausea or an implacable sense of impending doom?

you don't need to answer, I can already tell you're no true philosopher

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the one time i bothered to give a poo poo about jorp he’d gotten himself into another controversy and someone posted a link on facebook to his blog talking about how out of context he was being taken. i read the whole loving article and by the end i still had no idea what his original point was supposed to even be but man he sure whined a lot about how these terrible people misunderstood him.

that basically told me everything i needed to know

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lobster is the one food I’ve never been able to keep down. I can eat buckets of shrimp and crab and any mollusk you can name but a few hours after consuming delicious lobster, I start to ralph and hurl.

Go to a doctor, you sound like when JBP drank cider and couldn't sleep for 25 days

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
300+ posts in the Jorp thread? :stare:

Ironically, the best Jorp content is others calling him out including Zizek or Contrapoints.

One of the most :thunk: hot take Jorp has is "Don't let your children do things you'll hate them for" is a whole can of worms if you think more than one millisecond about it.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 23, 2020

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Ralph Hurley posted:

I reckon that crab is superior to lobster, closely follow by shrimp and clams. So I think you may be blessed

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Just updating my spreadsheets so I can track my social capital for the week. Hmmm, it says I have enough here for 2 racial slurs or 5 mysogenies. I wonder how many transphobias that comes to. Wow, the rate on these has really gone to poo poo recently. Someone really needs to do something about that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I should've noted Jordan's biggest advocate at UoT is now like "oh man I hosed up! He basically sucks a lot!"

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05/25/i-was-jordan-petersons-strongest-supporter-now-i-think-hes-dangerous.html

I :yikes:'ed right out of this thread because lol at debating a chud moron, but this article about his past from someone who knows (knew) him well is fascinating.

The author speculated that he's politically ambitious, but the reveal that he was into a major drug habit puts the whole history described there in a different light. Makes me think more about a drugged-out rock star, chasing highs from either the audience or the pills. "What if Scott Weiland was a middle-aged professor and a bigot?"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, if you leave out a huge, ripe pile of poo poo on the floor you gonna attract some flies sooner or later

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"Thank you, Captain Obvious of the "Look! A Bridge." company" takes by Jorp: Clean your room, have goals in life, fix your posture, pet a cat in the street (watch for rabies tho).

:thunk: takes by Jorp: Don't let you kids have their own identity or choices if it's an inconvenience to you, you MUST have kids to win at life otherwise your existence is meaningless, Western culture is the ONLY culture that is good.

:stare: takes by Jorp: Wage gap doesn't exist, marginalized groups are a bunch of victim complex crybabies, everything else linked/mentioned in this thread.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I know nothing about Jordan Peterson.

Now thanks to this thread I know that one Jordan Peterson fan is an idiot and can’t back up his views with a well reasoned argument.

I have increased my Jordan Peterson knowledge +1

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

BillyBlanks posted:

You know, you're not an actual philosopher either, you're a oval office ripping on a guy for taking anti-depressants after his wife was diagnosed with cancer.

Thats one of the funniest things about Peterson. My wife is living cancer hell what should i do? Help her? Be the strong manly man? Nope! I will fry my brain on benzos because i can't cope with the harsh reality of life

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I once had a manager, who was literally a crazy person, and he constantly talked about those mysterious Russian treatments and "health gurus" that will heal you by cosmic energy or some super sekrit OC donut steal Soviet era treatment and swore that he totes he was cured of his chronic illnesses while looking like a walking bag of saggy flesh and weak bones. Jorp going to Russia for "treatment" gave me the same vibes after seeing his return video.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

lol at the 40+ year old man doggedly defending kermit, the 19 year old room cleanerer makerer

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
BRB gonna use my PhD to start a self-help cult based on lies about blue crab behavior.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Galewolf posted:

300+ posts in the Jorp thread? :stare:

Ironically, the best Jorp content is others calling him out including Zizek or Contrapoints.

One of the most :thunk: hot take Jorp has is "Don't let your children do things you'll hate them for" is a whole can of worms if you think more than one millisecond about it.

Oh poo poo, this just reminded me of Jordo writing about how much he wanted to fistfight a two year old in 12 Rules.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

His popularity came about because he whined about trans people being added to an already existing workplace harrasment bill that covered a host of other minorities. According to him this meant all the trans people are coming to destroy your jobs because you misgendered them once, instead of the reality where if you're a bullying piece of poo poo who deliberately and consistently misgender a trans coworker you deserve to lose your job like any other workplace bully.

He sells generic self-help garbage in an alt-right wrapper. Typical Tony Robbins poo poo but with a heaping of "This means you additionally shouldn't care about or do anything progressive." He purports to care about "rationality" and "logic" but like most people who push that inane self-aggrandizing bullshit it just means he ignores the medical and scientific consensus on trans people and thinks people should instead force the government and society to be beholden to their middleschool health class comprehension of human reproductive bio while ignoring every single shred of evidence that proves them wrong.

He complains about "PC culture" and other such dogwhistles like "cultural Marxism" because like most bigots he believes freedom of speech that degrades minorities is more important than the rights of those minorities to speak out or be protected in society.

Essentially he provided the alt-right with a clear blueprint on how to make intellectual laziness and stagnant mental development seem "smart."

He is typical anti-academia despite being a professor, he whines about universities being breeding grounds for "radical leftist thought" despite the fact that they're bland liberalism at most, while his disciples regularly ignore the irony that this foppish, intellectually round-about knob with questionable ability to articulate his superficial beliefs is the epitome of the vacuous meandering academic preening they hate so much.

He's pulled the "minorities are plagued by an attitude of victimhood" card which as we all know is just thinly veiled bigotry essentially labeling oppressed people whiners and crybabies for daring to speak out, even though speaking out, performing activism, and attempting to politically alter oppressive systems is the opposite of laziness. Basically just believing that if he whines about how oppressed white people are it's a just cause, but when anyone else does it, it's a "victimhood complex."

In the meantime he sells his generic self-help drivel that contradicts virtually everything he says or how he lives his life because it asserts typical right-wing self-sustainability and conformist self-responsibility, despite being written by a drug addicted moron who eats like a loving eight year old who hates vegetables and lives in filth.

He claims women have not been oppressed throughout history, believes that Islamophobia is a "fascist" phrase (who the gently caress even knows where he got that from), consistently denies the reality of arbitrary gender roles and the gender/sex dichotomy (which again, is him disagreeing with experts in fields he has zero experience or education in), and last but not least all of this is motivated by his milksop, weak-rear end Christian bent which is the true source of his beliefs. His intellectual posturing and nonstop incompetent "debates" are essentially nothing but a man who used his academic experience and knowledge of rhetoric to purport that his mediocre right wing ideals are actually born of an understanding of "reality," birthed from practicality and science, rather than the fact that he's just a boring rear end typical religious bigot who learned how to exploit complete and total gullible idiots like Mnoba into thinking their utterly facile moral cowardice and total social uselessness is somehow a strength.

He's nothing but a figurehead who exists to provide the illusion to alt-right simpletons that their brainless beliefs they've likely held the majority of their lives were gained from careful consideration of the world, versus the reality where right-wing people are basically infants with extremely lacking theory of mind and a total, blithering incomprehension of the complexity of human nature and social structures.

What he said

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Whats a good animal for your self help cult? I'm thinking wolves are taken by weird nazis, spiders and snakes are too on nose, maybe sloths?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Whats a good animal for your self help cult? I'm thinking wolves are taken by weird nazis, spiders and snakes are too on nose, maybe sloths?

Gorillers, be the silverback!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Gorillers, be the silverback!

Idk I prefer animals that aren't about to be extinct for my totems of strength :smugdog:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
one of the funniest things about peterson is the fact that when his wife needed him the most because she had loving cancer instead of being a respectable man WHO CLEAN HIS ROOM he fried his brain with benzos

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 23, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk I prefer animals that aren't about to be extinct for my totems of strength :smugdog:

Ants then

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Zeta Acosta posted:

one of the funniest things about peterson is the fact that when her wife needed him the most because she had loving cancer instead of being a respetable man WHO CLEAN HIS ROOM he fried his brain with benzos

Don't you know that's the proper, manly thing to do? Bad things happen to you & your famil, just get behind a locked door and get hosed up stoically, brushing a sole manly tear from your nose occasionally.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Too commie but yeah we are getting somewhere! What other insect is resilient, virile, fierce and independent? Maybe the humble cockroach!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

I thought about buying a tarantula as a pet during quarantine. They're surprisingly cheap (~3 bucks) if you buy them as a baby, but they take like 5-7 years to grow to full size.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Hey remember when Jordy peeps was brought in to be a expert witness and the judge utterly owned him?

"I will deal next with Dr. Peterson's report entitled “Multiple rater response to play assessment description From Kawartha Family Court Assessment Service Report”. It is dated May 4, 2009. This is perhaps the most interesting of all of the reports that counsel for the respondent wishes the court to consider. It comes as close to “junk science” as anything that I have ever been asked to consider."
-Sordi v. Sordi, 2009 CanLII 80104 (ON SC)

Twice.

[88] The situation here is even more remote. It is difficult to see how Dr. Peterson's technique of assessing the personality of a person for his private consulting business satisfies the Daubert factors to make it admissible for a forensic purpose. Dr. Peterson provided no evidence that his technique of personality assessment has been properly tested for the purpose it is being used for here, detecting when an agreeable person may falsely confess to the police. All Dr. Peterson could say is he hired university students to try and fake the personality assessment and they couldn't do it. That is not scientific validation. There has been no peer review of the technique of the Unfakeable Big Five. Dr. Peterson provided no rate of error or accepted deviations. In fact, he claimed, without any proof, that his assessment tool cannot be deceived while other personality assessment techniques can be. Finally, there is no evidence that the Unfakeable Big Five is generally accepted as a forensic tool. It was designed and is used for Dr. Peterson's private consulting clients to hire employees.
- R. v. Pearce (M.L.), 2014 MBCA 70 (CanLII)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Colonel Cancer posted:

the octopus? idk i just like octopuses, both as animals and as food.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 23, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Slotducks posted:

Hey remember when Jordy peeps was brought in to be a expert witness and the judge utterly owned him?

"I will deal next with Dr. Peterson's report entitled “Multiple rater response to play assessment description From Kawartha Family Court Assessment Service Report”. It is dated May 4, 2009. This is perhaps the most interesting of all of the reports that counsel for the respondent wishes the court to consider. It comes as close to “junk science” as anything that I have ever been asked to consider."

Twice.

[88] The situation here is even more remote. It is difficult to see how Dr. Peterson's technique of assessing the personality of a person for his private consulting business satisfies the Daubert factors to make it admissible for a forensic purpose. Dr. Peterson provided no evidence that his technique of personality assessment has been properly tested for the purpose it is being used for here, detecting when an agreeable person may falsely confess to the police. All Dr. Peterson could say is he hired university students to try and fake the personality assessment and they couldn't do it. That is not scientific validation. There has been no peer review of the technique of the Unfakeable Big Five. Dr. Peterson provided no rate of error or accepted deviations. In fact, he claimed, without any proof, that his assessment tool cannot be deceived while other personality assessment techniques can be. Finally, there is no evidence that the Unfakeable Big Five is generally accepted as a forensic tool. It was designed and is used for Dr. Peterson's private consulting clients to hire employees.

I’m beginning to see why people with no critical thinking skills but an overinflated sense of self worth might find this guy appealing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

BRB gonna use my PhD to start a self-help cult based on lies about blue crab behavior.

Something something crab bucket

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

Twice.

Oh no, Jordan's one weakness, someone who knows anything at all!

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zeta Acosta posted:

one of the funniest things about peterson is the fact that when his wife needed him the most because she had loving cancer instead of being a respectable man WHO CLEAN HIS ROOM he fried his brain with benzos

Doesn’t getting addicted to benzos make Peterson a “loving pussy” and a “oval office” by BillyBlanks’ logic?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honestly, who cares what the creator of Tae Bo thinks

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

BillyBlanks posted:

I most enjoy his ability to verbalize issues I've long had with the PC movement. Things like the wage gap, and the negative aspects of mentalities that focus on victimhood and privilege. I part ways with him on a lot of the religious text analysis, though I appreciate it from a distance I'm not religious myself and don't place a lot of importance in religious stories and texts.

I think what is antithetical to this forum is very simply that he went against what we are being told is forbidden - he proved to me that we can disagree with some aspects of progressive views without being a bad person; I can agree with trans rights without agreeing with attempts to transform speech laws for them. I can support gays without agreeing with every other opinion that comes along with it in the LGBT package. I can support black lives but disagree with BLM's hatred of the police.

He validates a lot of the nuance in many subjects we are being presented as black and white.

Fair enough, thanks for answering. When you explain it like that I can see how his stances resonate with you. Certainly liberals and their wokeness was pretty poisonous for a while there, but it's funny because even though we both hate wokeness, we hate it for completely opposite reasons. As a leftists I see their performances as purely selfish and when push comes to shove libs side with fascists and continue to vote for them, almost never actually achieving the things they pretend they want to achieving.

But anyway back to JP. Here's the question I ask every one of his fans and haven't gotten a response yet. I don't even mean a "good" response, I mean it will literally end the conversation instantly and there won't be a response at all. Hopefully you can help me out. Why do you think the alt-right, far-right, outright nazis like him? And I'm not saying you are someone in those groups. I'm also not saying that it's his fault, because supposedly you can't control who your fans are right? But what they you think they see in him that they don't see in anyone else? It's interesting because if I noticed that in a poll that showed the majority of people who prefer strawberry icecream have a goatee, I would want to try and figure out what is it about strawberry icecream that attracts people with goatees. I tend to focus on things like that a lot. If I saw nazis were categorically more interested in iphones I would want to know why.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Slotducks posted:

The situation here is even more remote. It is difficult to see how Dr. Peterson's technique of assessing the personality of a person for his private consulting business satisfies the Daubert factors to make it admissible for a forensic purpose. Dr. Peterson provided no evidence that his technique of personality assessment has been properly tested for the purpose it is being used for here, detecting when an agreeable person may falsely confess to the police. All Dr. Peterson could say is he hired university students to try and fake the personality assessment and they couldn't do it. That is not scientific validation. There has been no peer review of the technique of the Unfakeable Big Five. Dr. Peterson provided no rate of error or accepted deviations. In fact, he claimed, without any proof, that his assessment tool cannot be deceived while other personality assessment techniques can be. Finally, there is no evidence that the Unfakeable Big Five is generally accepted as a forensic tool. It was designed and is used for Dr. Peterson's private consulting clients to hire employees.

Now this provides some insight. I read the paper he probably turned into his "Unfakeable Big Five". It has some merit–as in the use of forced choice questions does reduce the impact of biased responses. But the version he was using (I don't think he actually developed it himself) is embryonic compared to what became available with a decent amount of evidence just a few years later, and with the addition of computerised adaptive testing on top of that. Even those don't claim to be unbeatable though, just to reduce some types of response bias. Titling it unfakeable is far too confident and arrogant for what a UoT quality scientist should be offering up. It is actually published as "fake-proof" rather than unfakeable, including the quotation marks. Those quotation marks allow it to barely slide through peer-review depending on the journal, but is meant to only be read by an audience who understands it means "the intention is to try to make a fake-proof measure", not that it actually is fake-proof.

Normally no psychologist would have the confidence to take it beyond journal articles, into consultancy (or to court!) without huge amounts of additional research to back it–risking a career-destroying blow to their credibility. The proprietary personality tests I posted about were only taken to consultancy after already gathering a huge amount of research backing in academia, with significant testing in contexts beyond uni students, before being taken into consultancy where they gathered much more data and polished it all up with sellable presentation flourishes. He took his to consultancy with basically nothing, the most preliminary of preliminary publications meant to be built on.

The weirdest part is this:

quote:

Dr. Peterson was not allowed to explain why the appellant’s confession was unreliable based on his consideration of the three areas of:  how interviewing techniques affect the reliability of responses; how personality traits can make a person more prone to suggestion; and how a person’s physical condition, such as intoxication or hunger, can affect responses.

Those three areas should actually be loving easy for a psychologist to provide supporting research on. All three would make for a good undergrad literature review since there is so much easily available. Instead of going with any of that stuff he used his own half baked poo poo. The main thing he was arguing for was that people at extremes of agreeableness are more likely to be convinced to give false confessions. Again, shouldn't be hard to gather some evidence in support of that, even if not in the specific context of police interrogations.

Psychologists are used to lend creedance to claims of false confession all the time, and regularly have their opinion accepted into the record. But he grossly overextended by arguing that his measure meant the defendant couldn't have faked high agreeableness. It wouldn't be necessary to go that far. No lawyer would expect the psychologist to completely exonerate the appellant rather than casting some doubt. But he was clearly exploiting the case in an effort to establish that his measure is accepted as unfakeable and worthy of being used in legal contexts. Also he was taking a role much better occupied by a forensic psychologist than a clinical psychologist, something he must have known and should have been ethically compelled to explain to his client (and maybe legally compelled, if the relevant regulations are similar to what they are in Australia).

So just insane hubris and over-ambition. He could have dedicated himself to building on forced choice personality assessments or any of the other research areas his name is attached to and he would have had what most academics would consider a fantastic career. If he had gone hard on the forced choice testing train at the time he boarded it he could probably have several publications considered essential proof for what will likely be a fundamental psychometric technique still used many decades into the future. He would be cited constantly. But instead he had a level of self-confidence and lack of scientific caution that should have been beaten out of him by supervisors at the very start of his career, and was clearly aiming for influence and recognition with people outside of psychology.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

thehandtruck posted:

But anyway back to JP. Here's the question I ask every one of his fans and haven't gotten a response yet. I don't even mean a "good" response, I mean it will literally end the conversation instantly and there won't be a response at all. Hopefully you can help me out. Why do you think the alt-right, far-right, outright nazis like him? And I'm not saying you are someone in those groups. I'm also not saying that it's his fault, because supposedly you can't control who your fans are right? But what they you think they see in him that they don't see in anyone else? It's interesting because if I noticed that in a poll that showed the majority of people who prefer strawberry icecream have a goatee, I would want to try and figure out what is it about strawberry icecream that attracts people with goatees. I tend to focus on things like that a lot. If I saw nazis were categorically more interested in iphones I would want to know why.

I toss my vote for populism. People who like easy, straightforward but not necessarily truthful answers to complicated problems ("everything is poo poo because of the blacks/jews/immigrants/muslims") also like the people who provide those answers. Jordan Peterson tells you that your life is poo poo because your room is dirty, but ALSO because of a Marxist conspiracy executed by liberals and jews to degenerate the moral values of the Western world.

I claim that a fair 95% of Peterson's fans don't even touch his material on Christian mercy, universal love and such, because it dilutes his populistic messages.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

End of Shoelace posted:

I toss my vote for populism. People who like easy, straightforward but not necessarily truthful answers to complicated problems ("everything is poo poo because of the blacks/jews/immigrants/muslims") also like the people who provide those answers. Jordan Peterson tells you that your life is poo poo because your room is dirty, but ALSO because of a Marxist conspiracy executed by liberals and jews to degenerate the moral values of the Western world.

I claim that a fair 95% of Peterson's fans don't even touch his material on Christian mercy, universal love and such, because it dilutes his populistic messages.

Right. There's an extremely strong anti-systemic leaning to his positions. When he says people are in the bad situation they're in because they play the victim, it ignores all systemic forces that exist. It's just a very small way to think but it lets the consumer of those ideas take a breath lower the scope of their world too and that brings some safety and alleviation imo. It's the same reason my cousin says homeless people choose to be homeless. The idea that they didn't choose it to be in so much pain is terrifying and painful for my cousin. Also it brings with it the thought that it could happen to her! But with her position it can't happen to her if she doesn't want it to happen to her and thus...less anxiety.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YamAsbzPKA

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

thehandtruck posted:

They like Jorp’s scientific racism and misogyny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_Lzo4S8lA

1:10

Reporter: When you walk in town and get approached by the fans...
Badger Dad: What do you mean by fans? People hate me.

Simply the best.