Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I worry more about his nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

There might be one down the line, but as of right now there is not.

wait is there really not going to be a $60 digital version of CS4?

I could’ve sworn there was a version up a few weeks ago that was $45 with the PSN+ discount

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Iverron posted:

wait is there really not going to be a $60 digital version of CS4?

I could’ve sworn there was a version up a few weeks ago that was $45 with the PSN+ discount

That was a mistake for the digital deluxe. Curious if anyone actually got to keep that price.

And No, there will certainly be a normal version up after release, It's just better to not post it yet. Imagine you preorder CS4 before release, standard for 60$, and then you learn The digital deluxe was also 60$, you'd feel cheated. Tada, and yeah everyone is just assumed to have a permanent PS+ sub.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I mean you could just extend the discount to both versions. As it is I guess I’m going to buy the standard edition from Amazon and then cut into a future sale when I list it on eBay after I’m done lol.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fair, but I fully understand the why bother, 90% are buying Deluxe mentality.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The digital deluxe edition for CS 3 came out 3 weeks after the standard version. This time it's probably the other way around. Guess I'll go for 1 month of PS Plus and end up at 69€.
Could be worse...

Also, the review embargo is up and the first tests are posted. Seems to be about the same what people said about the jp version.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

That was a mistake for the digital deluxe. Curious if anyone actually got to keep that price.

They have to honor the posted price. Anyways they charged my card so that's that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I pre-ordered a physical copy because I love to juggle discs on my fingertips

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I switched from physical to the digital deluxe, the dlc costumes sound a little more fun to play around with and not having to pay sales tax on the digital is a nice plus. I wish i’d jumped on it at the 45$ price though :(

The frontline has the cd with like 5 music tracks, but none are particularly special. Falcom always does good music tracks these are my faves from IV, notable mentions to mystic core (from crossbell games) and decisive collision (from III makes a reappearance)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1yMHutXQM&t=166s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2r1cuuNtOc&t=139s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ot9y2JSREH4&t=64s

Are soundtracks really spoilers?

infraboy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 23, 2020

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Can we maybe chill with the unmarked spoilers for a game that isn't out yet?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
REAN IS GONNA PAT SOME HEADS AND YOU CAN EAT MY BUTT IF YOU TRY TO SILENCE ME, MODS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please post spoilers only in Japanese until the game is out in English

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BrightWing posted:

Can we maybe chill with the unmarked spoilers for a game that isn't out yet?

infraboy will not be stopped after the 80th time asked

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Hwurmp posted:

please post spoilers only in Japanese until the game is out in English

リィン教官...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

People are losing their poo poo over a 5/10 review for Cold Steel 4 by RPGSite.

A review I actually agree with having played the game, even though I think 5/10 is a bit harsh. Also the review points out that the translation is a bit of a mess; not quite original Ys 8 bad but much worse than 3's translation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

People are losing their poo poo over a 5/10 review for Cold Steel 4 by RPGSite.

A review I actually agree with having played the game, even though I think 5/10 is a bit harsh. Also the review points out that the translation is a bit of a mess; not quite original Ys 8 bad but much worse than 3's translation.

Honestly yeah, looking up the review, everything it mentions feels dead on. I honestly don't have any objections to any of the complaints made.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So..... How much of that is the story going too far, and how much of that is NISA killing my baby?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

So..... How much of that is the story going too far, and how much of that is NISA killing my baby?

I would comfortably say it's like 80%/20% *at worst.* The typos are annoying but a good number of the flaws are just things that exist in the original writing.

It's kind of like the Avengers: Endgame of the Trails series in a way. It is so focused on callbacks and cameos and references and fanservice that it kinda forgets to be its own thing. It can still be fun despite that and there are some moments that hit extremely well but it's kind of like wading through other stuff to get there. It's also heavily running into the problem that four games of Erebonia with the exact same characters make everything feel a lot less fresh.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have no issues with how the story goes, the stuff about the filler is pretty true, but what JRPG doesn't?

I'm curious if the localization is as bad as he says.

It is correct that it does introduce this huge cast which will confuse people who haven't played the previous arcs because those storylines do tie-in. It is a bit unfair that the two Crossbell games were never officially localized

I don't see anyone already heavily invested in the series suddenly cancelling their long anticipated pre-orders.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Veryslightlymad posted:

As someone who played it in Japanese, the writing issues are 100% on Falcom, regardless of how sloppy NISA's localisation is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

infraboy posted:

I have no issues with how the story goes, the stuff about the filler is pretty true, but what JRPG doesn't?

I'm curious if the localization is as bad as he says.

It is correct that it does introduce this huge cast which will confuse people who haven't played the previous arcs because those storylines do tie-in. It is a bit unfair that the two Crossbell games were never officially localized

I don't see anyone already heavily invested in the series suddenly cancelling their long anticipated pre-orders.

Eh. It's more like "usual B-tier translation effort" bad and not "Incoherent Nonsense" bad.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Trails entire thing is that its mega novel series turned into a video game series finally ending the curse of "That sure was one game, time to throw this story into the trash". Hundreds of characters, tons of intersecting plots, and lots of time spent with these characters bonding, its the exact reason the series is so good. Sky might have tricked you into thinking otherwise as Arc 1, but Its not a flaw that it's advanced with Arcs 3 and 4.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
I don't think anyone's complaining about the nature of the series' continuity. They're just talking about how poorly executed it is CS4's case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

Trails entire thing is that its mega novel series turned into a video game series finally ending the curse of "That sure was one game, time to throw this story into the trash". Hundreds of characters, tons of intersecting plots, and lots of time spent with these characters bonding, its the exact reason the series is so good. Sky might have tricked you into thinking otherwise as Arc 1, but Its not a flaw that it's advanced with Arcs 3 and 4.

I would disagree strongly.

There is a difference between a shared universe and a small universe. Trails has wonderful worldbuilding but part of what makes/made it work so well is that it focused on making a world that stood as a world. Cold Steel 1 was extremely good about this and despite basically being the prologue to the 'real' story it was enjoyable because it spent a lot of time building up and establishing things so that the civil war could break them. By Cold Steel IV however the world feels smaller. It runs into the "Star Wars" problem of everything needing to be interconnected which actually makes the world feel more artificial and false. And I'm not opposed to ridiculous giant crossovers, I love Super Robot Wars, but a big part of Trails' appeal was that the writing tried to keep characters in a smaller scale even during big events.

It also runs into another problem which is honestly: Falcom can write fun characters but they fall back on very similar archetypes and concepts time and time again. This isn't a huge problem when they are in their own games or you get the occasional "Oh, you remind me of (x)" kind of stuff. In CSIII and CSIV however you have these basically the same archetypes interacting constantly and it kind of devalues them because no matter how many times they lampshade "wow, these characters sure are a lot alike" it doesn't really change the fact that they are.

Like I said above, IV is extremely good when it focuses on a smaller more focused cast, even in the middle of big dangerous situations. The characters are given room to breathe and interact and grow. The bloated cast makes that harder for it to do because they just... can't. They don't have enough time no matter how slow the pacing. I genuine think New Class VII is one of my favorite Trails casts but I think I would feel even more strongly if they were allowed to have their own game instead of further filling out Rean's backup squad/harem.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It's more like "usual B-tier translation effort" bad and not "Incoherent Nonsense" bad.

I've been learning some Japanese in my free time, it can certainly be a tricky language to translate into English without being really awkward at times. I think Falcom uses some unusual words/Kanji from what I can tell.

Theres definitely some inside-jokes that people that haven't played the other arcs wouldn't understand and it wouldn't be in the game summaries.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I would disagree strongly.

There is a difference between a shared universe and a small universe. Trails has wonderful worldbuilding but part of what makes/made it work so well is that it focused on making a world that stood as a world. Cold Steel 1 was extremely good about this and despite basically being the prologue to the 'real' story it was enjoyable because it spent a lot of time building up and establishing things so that the civil war could break them. By Cold Steel IV however the world feels smaller. It runs into the "Star Wars" problem of everything needing to be interconnected which actually makes the world feel more artificial and false. And I'm not opposed to ridiculous giant crossovers, I love Super Robot Wars, but a big part of Trails' appeal was that the writing tried to keep characters in a smaller scale even during big events.

It also runs into another problem which is honestly: Falcom can write fun characters but they fall back on very similar archetypes and concepts time and time again. This isn't a huge problem when they are in their own games or you get the occasional "Oh, you remind me of (x)" kind of stuff. In CSIII and CSIV however you have these basically the same archetypes interacting constantly and it kind of devalues them because no matter how many times they lampshade "wow, these characters sure are a lot alike" it doesn't really change the fact that they are.

Like I said above, IV is extremely good when it focuses on a smaller more focused cast, even in the middle of big dangerous situations. The characters are given room to breathe and interact and grow. The bloated cast makes that harder for it to do because they just... can't. They don't have enough time no matter how slow the pacing. I genuine think New Class VII is one of my favorite Trails casts but I think I would feel even more strongly if they were allowed to have their own game instead of further filling out Rean's backup squad/harem.

drat, you worded stuff well. Bravo.

For the first one I don't have a major counterpoint besides the fact that Arcs 1 and 3 have always been working up to this climax. 2 was added to make it better. It was always intended, though I get the feeling theyre using "end of the world" a bit strongly". I agree in other stuff, but I'm more than willing to bet Trails has more than set up everything in advance barring Mildine's Grand Chessmaster schtick.

My counterpoint for 2 is a single image: This hyped me up beyond belief two years ago, and being able to read it in english as part of the pre-release info has me even more hype. Similar People is a plus.

Now this we can't come to a pass at, tons of characters is just better in my book, and I'll gladly forgive some being less developed when among like 64 playable characters, than I ever will be with Zin being less developed than Neithardt despite being one of 8/13/16 playable characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thinking about becoming a poster whose gimmick is saying the only good trails games are the ones made before sky 1. thoughts?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
why stop there? become the big Dragon Slayer fan

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Endorph posted:

thinking about becoming a poster whose gimmick is saying the only good trails games are the ones made before sky 1. thoughts?

Oregon Trails?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway that rpgsite review feels like someone having a mental breakdown that a jrpg series was the same thing it always was

like 'too many characters' and 'every character chipping in even when they arent immediately necessary' has been a thing since sky 2, you dont need to be nostradamus to predict that going forward as the series adds more characters itll do that more and more

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I can’t believe Sky 1 just has a Pokémon plot. We fought the evil Team Capua and now we have to go collect all the gym badges

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Endorph posted:

Only Sorcerian and Brandish exists. And Ys V. Everything else is a figment of your own imagination. I'm sorry, but you've been chained up in Falcom's basement for five years, and "Trails" is just crazy talk.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

I can’t believe Sky 1 just has a Pokémon plot. We fought the evil Team Capua and now we have to go collect all the gym badges

did you read about the legendary beast that's rumored to inhabit the kingdom

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Only Sorcerian and Brandish exists. And Ys V. Everything else is a figment of your own imagination. I'm sorry, but you've been chained up in Falcom's basement for five years, and "Trails" is just crazy talk.
thank god now i dont have to read this thread

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm curious, does anyone know anything about the first 2 LoH games? I know 1 was released in the west on a console I've never even heard of, but the only real source I have on either game is Falcom Gakuen.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Complaining about characters existing just to exist and comment to remind people they exist is insane to me when Sky had Zin/Zane/whatever the gently caress his name is and had Mueller and Julia join your party for the final dungeon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Complaining about characters existing just to exist and comment to remind people they exist is insane to me when Sky had Zin/Zane/whatever the gently caress his name is and had Mueller and Julia join your party for the final dungeon.

estelle: incredible...
olivier: my, my.
schera: now, who could have seen that coming?
agate: huh, drat
kloe: my word...
gin: is my name spelled gin i genuinely cant remember
Josh: hm...
Kevin: haha
Reene: teehee
Anelace: plushies
Mueller: Mmm...
Richard: Well now.
Josette: Huh!
julia: who the gently caress am i

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The next trails game should be about dorothee writing her yaoi.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

I'm curious, does anyone know anything about the first 2 LoH games? I know 1 was released in the west on a console I've never even heard of, but the only real source I have on either game is Falcom Gakuen.

I beat the first LoH. It actually got an English localization on the Turbografx CD, complete with a hilariously amateurish dub. It's basically a bog standard Dragon Quest clone with a few quality of life perks, like being able to see enemies in dungeons, save anywhere, and having your party members automatically revive if they died mid-battle and you won anyway. I'd put it above the PSP Gagharv remakes in terms of quality, but it's really nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

At least Julia if not both joining was something added to later versions of the game iirc.