Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The same haircut in that it is hair that has been cut, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well that is comforting. I was fully expecting a smash cut to major events.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

It looks like he has pretty much disappeared a few years ago, but there's fan uploads: https://kiwisbybeat.netlify.app/minusarchive.html

AFAIK those dates are original, so the last update was just three comics, but it was still a bit sudden.

It's fun how like half of the posters in the webcomic thread had a reasonably popular comic at the time:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2767210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=134
(GC, minus, Horribleville, Girly, Gastrophobia, Dr. McNinja, Anders Loves Maria etc)

Minus was amazing, but I really am sad that we lost Great! when Kiwis by Beat went down. It was such an amazing webcomic about accepting that you can't always fulfill your dreams, and learning to accept that and be happy anyways. It's really the only piece of media I've seen that really directly addresses that instead of "if you just keep trying, you'll achieve your dreams!"

Yeah it's not as magical of a message, but it's so much more realistic and useful. Arguably it's an even happier message, since it's essentially saying "even if you don't achieve your dreams, you can be happy!"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Minus was amazing, but I really am sad that we lost Great! when Kiwis by Beat went down. It was such an amazing webcomic about accepting that you can't always fulfill your dreams, and learning to accept that and be happy anyways. It's really the only piece of media I've seen that really directly addresses that instead of "if you just keep trying, you'll achieve your dreams!"

Yeah it's not as magical of a message, but it's so much more realistic and useful. Arguably it's an even happier message, since it's essentially saying "even if you don't achieve your dreams, you can be happy!"

I am SO angry I didn't actually go through and save all of Great! when it was still up, tbh.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I've got Great! on my hard drive already but it looks like it's up on that site with the minus archive.

https://kiwisbybeat.netlify.app/greatarchive.html

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I have the first of the two Great! books on my bookshelf, and I am always mourning that I didn't get the second one before it was too late.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ooh, thanks! I bookmarked Great! years ago and was sad when I noted it was gone.

Also for today's page: I keep kinda expecting things to go sour in Kat's and Paz's relationship because that's usually what happens, it feels, so it's really nice to see them just bringing each other up to date with what's going on and having a good time. :) (Although I'm still afraid that Paz feels jealous of Annies' special place in Kat's life :ohdear:)

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Most innocent way of saying 'I am like unto a god' ever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Daktar posted:

Yeah I feel like there's a LOT going on behind those words

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Have your mom ask her friend to ask her coworkers to help you out?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Snake Maze posted:

Have your mom ask her friend to ask her coworkers to help you out?

They only agreed to do that because it already happened at least once. Kat is ultimately responsible somehow for getting that first meeting with the Norns.

As an aside, can you imagine how horrifying it would be for Kat to obsess over Annie's death the way Tony did for Surma?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Inglonias posted:

They only agreed to do that because it already happened at least once. Kat is ultimately responsible somehow for getting that first meeting with the Norns.

As an aside, can you imagine how horrifying it would be for Kat to obsess over Annie's death the way Tony did for Surma?

Black-haired girl with time powers obsessing over the death of her red-haired (close enough) friend, I've heard that story before.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, that one didn't end well. (Well it kinda did, but it took a while and wasn't fun for anyone involved)

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 27, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Daktar posted:

Those are words that will have no repercussions.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Daktar posted:

Black-haired girl with time powers obsessing over the death of her red-haired (close enough) friend, I've heard that story before.

Well Jones is the only blonde in the cast and, given her demeanor, I don't see her losing her head over any of this

e: poo poo or there's vegeta

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
There's also the literal background character Becky. I bet you can guess her last name.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Did Tom release the complete character poll results?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Daktar posted:

A Sometimes Food posted:

"I had already stopped being Katarina Donlan"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kat is the most boring character in the entire comic and every chapter that heavily focuses on her tends to suck the life out of the comic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kat is the most boring character in the entire comic and every chapter that heavily focuses on her tends to suck the life out of the comic.

Ok

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kat is about to spice things up by stabbing Paz with the arrow

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why does this chapter feel so ominous?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I kinda keep worrying that Kat is going to do the thing where she keeps talking about Annie and Paz gets frustrated but this page looks like that won't be the direction where this is going.
I like the lesson Kat took from the Norns - "I met older me who had their stuff together and though 'I wanna be like that!'" Imagine being able to do that IRL.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hempuli posted:

I kinda keep worrying that Kat is going to do the thing where she keeps talking about Annie and Paz gets frustrated but this page looks like that won't be the direction where this is going.
I like the lesson Kat took from the Norns - "I met older me who had their stuff together and though 'I wanna be like that!'" Imagine being able to do that IRL.

I don't like that lesson, because she didn't meet her older self, she just saw her older self.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Scholtz posted:

I don't like that lesson, because she didn't meet her older self, she just saw her older self.

Well Kat is incredibly shallow you see, despite evidence to the contrary, so meeting someone who happens to look like an older you while maintaining their own distinct personality is basically the same thing.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Fastest resolution of a time-thingy I've ever seen, though. "Oh, future me has that haircut? I should get that haircut..."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f-49cGWD2Y

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Get this. I've got this idea, a nerdy gamer girl...who has the BIGGEST science brain. And she's like, bisexual, so everybody can fetishize her very big gamer brain. Science is cool right fellas? I too have read a book or two in my time. And she's like SO good at the sciencing that she's a GOD and doesn't even know it lol. Her greatest weakness? I would say that it's probably the awareness that she could solve so many of her friends problems with her very big brain (the biggest). It's tragic, really.

Am I talking about Gunnerkrigg Court or Dresden Codak.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah yes, the fetish comic Gunnerkrigg Court.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Get this. I've got this idea, a nerdy gamer girl...who has the BIGGEST science brain. And she's like, bisexual, so everybody can fetishize her very big gamer brain. Science is cool right fellas? I too have read a book or two in my time. And she's like SO good at the sciencing that she's a GOD and doesn't even know it lol. Her greatest weakness? I would say that it's probably the awareness that she could solve so many of her friends problems with her very big brain (the biggest). It's tragic, really.

Well 100% not Gunnerkirgg.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

IUG posted:

Ah yes, the fetish comic Gunnerkrigg Court.

I mean...

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ok

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

That was not the one I expected to see.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ohno:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

This is not a good post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Get this. I've got an idea. It's where you never come back again

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
they're right about Dresden Codak though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I like the part where they sexualized an underage girl to prove a point.