Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

huh posted:

I bet no one on this thread is familiar enough with his body of work to be properly critical of it.

Tbh nor are you lol

Yeah, and I'd be interested to hear your defense of his C-16 bill shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

huh posted:

I bet no one on this thread is familiar enough with his body of work to be properly critical of it.

Ive flipped through his self help books and theres nothing greatly compelling there. Ive seen his rogan interview, the zizek debate, and watched a handful of his lectures.

Im not sure what your criteria are for a "properly critical" analysis but its pretty clear to me what this guy is all about. I tend to find his manner of speech to be pretty insufferable so i dont think id ever consume his entire "body of work".

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

The_Continental posted:

So you dont disagree with patriarchal gender norms like women staying in the house?

You support the idea that calling trans people their preferred pronouns infringes on your precious free speech?

Or do you believe in a global marxist plot to denigrate the infallible sanctity of western culture?

These are all ideas hes shared. Theres also a video itt where he just kinda shrugs and shakes his head at someone suggesting a modern white genocide enacted by jews.

Im saying this to be helpful, as you seem compelled to downplay the outrage surrounding the guy.

Thanks The_Continental. I'm honestly not downplaying anything. I truly can't behind (nor understand) the vitriol for the guy.

Women staying in the house. I don't necessarily agree with that. (now reading other stuff you've written I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as you represent it).

I don't know enough about Marxism to have a nuanced opinion on the matter. If you do, that is very impressive. Again, maybe I just don't get the stuff that you and others are saying. Just too dumb or ignorant. I actually am open to this possibility.

Regarding the video you refer to, it plays out a bit differently to how you describe. He accepts the guy's book. He says he will read it. He's in front of a live audience and says that it's a lot to untangle there and then. He then says he can't do it. But you're pretending he just gave some glib response and that's that.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nurmie posted:

Tbh nor are you lol

Yeah, and I'd be interested to hear your defense of his C-16 bill shenanigans.

Exactly! I'm not! And neither is anyone else on this thread (probably). But this guy is being crucified when everyone is ignorant on most of his work.

You know Peterson's position. You know the arguments for/against. I agree with his opinion on compelled speech.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Cultural Marxism' is a phrase that taken on its own is complete nonsense, as it has no coherent connection to any form of Marxism, but is used exclusively as a far-right dogwhistle for pretty much any remotely liberal or progressive politics (or just 'not being actively vocally right wing enough for my liking') being part of a Jewish plot to replace the white race and destroy western culture. That's literally the only real meaning it has, at best it's an incoherent and inaccurate blanket labelling of anything the speaker is opposed to.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Well, that's a bit underwhelming, huh, to be completely honest. I was hoping for something more robust.

I must say, BillyBlanks was much spicier as far as rando jorp lover lol i trol u lobsterboys go. Hope he graces this thread with his illustrious presence again lol

nurmie fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 24, 2020

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

huh posted:

You know Peterson's position. You know the arguments for/against. I agree with his opinion on compelled speech.

Would you also oppose a court mandating a public apology in the case of defamation?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Cultural Marxism' is a phrase that taken on its own is complete nonsense, as it has no coherent connection to any form of Marxism, but is used exclusively as a far-right dogwhistle for pretty much any remotely liberal or progressive politics (or just 'not being actively vocally right wing enough for my liking') being part of a Jewish plot to replace the white race and destroy western culture. That's literally the only real meaning it has, at best it's an incoherent and inaccurate blanket labelling of anything the speaker is opposed to.

Thanks Ghost. That's all the term is used for? Exclusively? Strangely specific.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

G1mby posted:

Would you also oppose a court mandating a public apology in the case of defamation?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. But yes. I am opposed to that. "Mandate", "public", and "apology" are ill-defined but I'll take it at face value.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

huh posted:

Regarding the video you refer to, it plays out a bit differently to how you describe. He accepts the guy's book. He says he will read it. He's in front of a live audience and says that it's a lot to untangle there and then. He then says he can't do it. But you're pretending he just gave some glib response and that's that.

I understand he was on the spot, but he didnt categorically rebuke the man asking the question. Which is the only acceptable response to dross like that. He also shared other anti-Semitic views. "Huh" indeed.

huh posted:

Women staying in the house. I don't necessarily agree with that. (now reading other stuff you've written I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as you represent it).

With poo poo like this youre either on the wrong side or right side, im sorry. Not interested in splitting hairs over :biotruths:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

huh posted:

Exactly! I'm not! And neither is anyone else on this thread (probably). But this guy is being crucified when everyone is ignorant on most of his work.

A workplace harrasment bill is not "compelled speech" unless you believe people should be able to follow trans coworkers around deliberately misgendering them and harassing them for their identity.

There are countless bills and laws like this peppered throughout both the Canadian and US legal system. There is no reason whatsoever for this sudden addition to a PRE-EXISTING (I emphasize this greatly) bill that he had no problem with UNTIL they added trans people to the docket.

He doesn't care about free speech, he only cares about it if it affects his ability to enforce his bigoted beliefs on the people directly around him.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

huh posted:

hi i wrote a paper for publication when i was doing my masters in Information & Library Science. i examined a variety of "alt-right" sources in the context of canadian libraries, and during that research i did a deep dive into the "research" that Jordan Peterson loves to quote all the time. guess what i found? he is a nazi!

jordan peterson loves to quote statistics from a book called "The Bell Curve", this book is heavy into IQ and is where the "study" finding racial differences in IQ lives. this is jordan petersons bible:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

lets dive into this fascinating book. who funded this book? an interesting group called The Pioneer Fund. an organization that promotes a variety of right wing causes....hmmmm....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Fund

But lets look into the Pioneer Fund!
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11371656_The_American_Breed_Nazi_eugenics_and_the_origins_of_the_Pioneer_Fund

quote:

The goal of this article is to fill the existing gap in the history of eugenics by presenting a detailed analysis of the origins of the Pioneer Fund. Pioneer is a foundation chartered in 1937 to support and publicize study on "heredity and eugenics" and "the problems of race betterment." The paper focuses on the role of Harry Laughlin, one of he most successful publicists of the "racial radical" branch of the American eugenics movement, and Wickliffe Draper, a wealthy New Yorker who endowed the Pioneer Fund. The paper explores several archival collections, tracing contacts among Laughlin, Draper and the Nazi scientists whose work informed Hitler's "racial hygiene" movement. Harry Laughlin received an honorary degree from the Nazi-controlled University of Heidelberg as "a pioneer in the science of race cleansing," only three months before the Pioneer Fund was incorporated.

:thunk:
oh dear is Jordan Peterson quoting literal nazi science? yup!

my original paper about alt-right literature in ontario libraries
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxhsv...tRight.pdf/file

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 24, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

huh posted:

Also, it is very lazy to just throw these terms out there; racism, transphobia, and misogyny. What has he done that's so egregious to warrant these labels? I've never called anyone any of those things but I imagine I could point at a specific thing and say "yes! that thing right there is why I've dismissed this human!"

huh posted:

Gotcha. I agree with him on the C16 bill - so that makes sense.

47 minutes... not a bad time, but you're not gonna set any records at this rate.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nurmie posted:

Well, that's a bit underwhelming, huh, to be completely honest. I was hoping for something more robust.

I must say, BillyBlanks was much spicier as far as rando jorp lover lol i trol u lobsterboys go. Hope he graces this thread with his illustrious presence again lol

nurmie, there's not way to convince you otherwise but I'm not who you think I am. "rando jorp lover lol i trol u lobsterboy" I am not that. I don't discuss Peterson with anyone in real life or on the internet. I have no ulterior motive.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cultural Marxism/postmodern neomarxism is an idea that marxists tried to infiltrate academia in a marathon game to win power, and that after Stalin marxism became so odious that they had to pretend to be something else, these people being a jumble of influential thinkers broadly labeled "postmodern". This idea has many flaws, both in the alleged genealogy of postmodern ideas and the supposed unity of thought among the people he calls postmodernists. This is then meant to explain many cultural trends that he opposes.

Peterson's understanding of marxism itself is also shaky, mostly based on what he's made up his mind that it means without reading any relevant texts, as he demonstrated when he debated Slavoj Zizek a year or so ago.

For a longer critique of Peterson's narrative around it written by actual academics:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/04/jordan-peterson-capitalism-postmodernism-ideology

Grevling fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 24, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

huh posted:

nurmie, there's not way to convince you otherwise but I'm not who you think I am. "rando jorp lover lol i trol u lobsterboy" I am not that. I don't discuss Peterson with anyone in real life or on the internet. I have no ulterior motive.

lol ok

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

hi i wrote a paper for publication when i was doing my masters in Information & Library Science. i examined a variety of "alt-right" sources in the context of canadian libraries, and during that research i did a deep dive into the "research" that Jordan Peterson loves to quote all the time. guess what i found? he is a nazi!

jordan peterson loves to quote statistics from a book called "The Bell Curve", this book is heavy into IQ and is where they "study" finding racial differences in IQ lives. this is jordan petersons bible:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

lets dive into this fascinating books. who funded this book? an interesting group called The Pioneer Fund. an organization that promotes a variety of right wing causes....hmmmm....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Fund

But lets look into the Pioneer Fund!
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11371656_The_American_Breed_Nazi_eugenics_and_the_origins_of_the_Pioneer_Fund

:thunk:
oh dear is Jordan Peterson quoting literal nazi science? yup!

my original paper about alt-right literature in ontario libraries
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxhsv...tRight.pdf/file

That is impressive and thanks for taking the time.

But what you're describing isn't his body of work.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nurmie :(

Thanks for the replies everyone - especially at the tail end of this train wreck of a thread.

He's certainly a phenomenon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

huh posted:

his body of work consists of a variety of YouTube videos where he quote statistics from the The Bell Curve at impressionable idiots.

that stuff he wrote in a book about "the dragons of chaos" is just nonsense

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

huh posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. But yes. I am opposed to that. "Mandate", "public", and "apology" are ill-defined but I'll take it at face value.

The general example would be something like

A national newspaper prints that you are a criminal - you fight them in court for defamation and as part of the settlement you force them to print a retraction and apology.

Now, it's worth noting this can also be abused (we had a case here in TradGames fairly recently if you follow that) and the fear of it can keep stories that should be published out of the public eye but it's also one of the ways an individual can fight back against demonisation by the media.

It's also a well recognised part of Canadian (by route of British) jurisprudence for hundreds of years. If our dear professor had been fighting this as part of a wider crusade then their worries about C-16 would be more easily taken at face value - there's a reasonable absolutist free speech position that such jurisprudence has a greater chilling effect on discourse than the benefit it has for society (and I hope you can see that it does have a benefit, even if you think the costs outweigh it). That he seemed to only object when the protections were extended to a marginalised group casts a lot of doubt on the claim that the objection is about "compelled speech"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This poo poo is boring and tedious, every handful of pages there will be another one who will just stonewall you while you give tangible proof of Jordan Peterson quoting eugenicists.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

huh posted:

That is impressive and thanks for taking the time.

Im not sure anyone here is going to satisfy your increasingly stringent criteria for what a proper analysis should look like, mate. Youve had evidence of some really deplorable ideas, including literal citation of eugenics promoting organizations, shoveled in front of you. Thats enough for most people.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 24, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This poo poo is boring and tedious, every handful of pages there will be another one who will just stonewall you while you give tangible proof of Jordan Peterson quoting eugenicists.

You could swap every word in his posts with :thunk: and nothing would change

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
As a cultural Marxist (my mother, her mother, and the whole maternal line to the times of chaos dragons were Marxist) I sentence you all to gulag

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"I'm just asking questions you guys, also unless you've watched everything he's ever put out you cannot possibly comment on him"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I have a Chaos Dragon...in my pants :boom:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

huh posted:

Thanks The_Continental. I'm honestly not downplaying anything. I truly can't behind (nor understand) the vitriol for the guy.

you're just here asking questions! I don't get it either, why would anyone not be a fan of someone promulgating misogyny, racism, and inequality all gussied up with a thin veneer of academia? (which Jorp is clearly not doing. goons, man.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

As mentioned before itt jorp speaks in a very specific way so as to approach all of his points very gradually. It gives him an air of pensiveness, and hes extremely fastidious about defending the minutae and specific phrasing of what hes saying. He does this to obfuscate his messaging and engage in pettt semantic jousting with his detractors. This gives his supporters the agency to wave their hands and say, "ah well you werent really listening" and engage in a semantic circle jerk.

This could be effective for a few individual instances, but his "body of work" as a whole follows very clear trends and has consistent messaging, which is why hes very deliberstely an alt right darling.

I think hes intelligent in a general sense but hes pushing ideas that have historically been used again and again to justify real violence against many groups.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordfam Swaggerson

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

The_Continental posted:

As mentioned before itt jorp speaks in a very specific way so as to approach all of his points very gradually. It gives him an air of pensiveness, and hes extremely fastidious about defending the minutae and specific phrasing of what hes saying. He does this to obfuscate his messaging and engage in pettt semantic jousting with his detractors. This gives his supporters the agency to wave their hands and say, "ah well you werent really listening" and engage in a semantic circle jerk.

This could be effective for a few individual instances, but his "body of work" as a whole follows very clear trends and has consistent messaging, which is why hes very deliberstely an alt right darling.

I think hes intelligent in a general sense but hes pushing ideas that have historically been used again and again to justify real violence against many groups.

his real secret is his voice, no one could think that kermit would be bad about anything (I think this might be true.)

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

The_Continental posted:

someone who fried his brain on benzos and then gave himself a loving induced coma is not intelligent. maybe he read some books or wrote some jungian fanfics about how women should stay in the kitchen because they are loving WHORES who cant coexist with men in the workplace but he is not a smart man in the least.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Most posters have already pointed out why he does actual harm, but it really doesn’t even have to get that complicated. Peterson thinks he has expertise in areas he clearly doesn’t. If you’ve any minor form of training or experience in philosophy, law or politics you can see how much he overestimates his own knowledge

Those people are the worst

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
jordan peterson is an idiot and hes also bad it doesnt take this many words or thoughts to figure that out this is day 1 poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan Peterson pressing the enter key on his keyboard as he activates POST on Facebook after studiously searching for the "SWAG IS FOR BOYS, CLASS IS FOR MEN" image.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Secret revealed: This thread is a honey pot so all the fascists supporting JBP can out themselves.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan Peterson managing the impossible by accidentally hitting his head on his own head in front of a stunned live audience.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The jorp symps probably know all the people in this picture, and why they're bad. Can you tell us or should I?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That night Jordan Peterson and all his friends ate their placemats, just as they were almost finished the waiter walked up with concern and asked "Are you guys ready to order your meals?"

Jordan looked up, "No thank you," he said, "we are full."

They left without paying and offered no tip.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Jordan Peterson eats only beef and put himself into a Russian coma to detox his benzo addiction. That's A. The funniest poo poo in the world and b. Justifies not listening to a thing he says about anything.

If you feel lost without his guidance, I provided better rules for life in this very thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...