Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pyrolocutus posted:

So as a thought exercise, if you were playing a killer and only had to use your eyes, what killers and perks would you use? Tracking people, seeing auras, etc.

E: I guess also stuff that keeps Survivors unaware of me to level the playing field a bit more as well.
I'd say a great perk for finding nearby injured survivors that you can't hear would be Sloppy Butcher. Not only is it great in general for making survivors heal slower, you would actually benefit from it applying the Hemorrhage condition so you can follow the bloodstains. This would also work well with A Nurse's Calling, so you can see them healing, since you can't rely on the grunts of pain that usually accompany it. Aside from that, general information perks are also good. You already mentioned BBQ, but Infectious Fright is another good one. The important thing with IF is that there's also a visual cue when they scream, not just an audio one.

For keeping Survivors unaware, you want Monitor and Abuse, which reduces your terror radius significantly, except in a chase, in which case it's actually bigger. This combos extremely well with Infectious Fright, since they'll scream from farther away.

Edit: So, in this hypothetical scenario where I have to play with no sound, with an M1 killer (maybe a stealthy one like Ghostface or Myers? More evening the odds), I'd run Sloppy Butcher. A Nurse's Calling, Infectious Fright, and Monitor and Abuse. You don't have much in the way of slowdown, so you could probably drop M&A for something like Thrilling Tremors, which is both information (you'll know which gens are already being worked on because they won't be blocked) and potentially slowdown (since that's 16 seconds where the survivors can't start a gen rush while you're hooking someone).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I finally decided to make the plunge with DbD after hemming and hawing and looking over the Wiki a lot. I've started with the base game though I know ex: Leatherface is good for BBQ and Chili so I can get used to it a bit before investing further.

The last time I posted about DbD, I noted that I was severely hard of hearing and usually don't play with sound on in my games. I'm aware that other folks might turn up the sound but I just don't think that's going to work for me. I think Wraith is cool and it looks like some of his perks involve ways to visually hone in on people. Plus he has a Field of View increase perk (though I know Lightborn from Hillbilly is also good on him).

So as a thought exercise, if you were playing a killer and only had to use your eyes, what killers and perks would you use? Tracking people, seeing auras, etc.

E: I guess also stuff that keeps Survivors unaware of me to level the playing field a bit more as well.

Doctor is probably your best bet as a killer, as his tracking power is very visual. BBQ, Nurse's Calling, Discordance, basically any visual aura reading perk will probably help you significantly. Hell, Doctor even has a perk that not only improves your FoV (not as high as shadowborn but it helps) AND makes your Terror Radius smaller when not in chase to help you sneak up on survivors.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Doctor is probably your best bet as a killer, as his tracking power is very visual. BBQ, Nurse's Calling, Discordance, basically any visual aura reading perk will probably help you significantly. Hell, Doctor even has a perk that not only improves your FoV (not as high as shadowborn but it helps) AND makes your Terror Radius smaller when not in chase to help you sneak up on survivors.
Oooh, I like that. Doctor with Monitor and Abuse, Infectious Fright, BBQ, and Nurse's. That'd be a fun combo. Doctor would work well even without any other aura perks, so Pyro would have someone to play well while working on unlocking the perks/waiting for the Shrine.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I don't know why my expectations were so low, but I just played a game as Michael Myers and was shocked at how well it went. It was a 3k->hatch, which seems to be my most frequent outcome, but I felt pretty dominant in there. People were just... letting me fill my stalk gauge. :iia:

Freddy, on the other hand, I don't know what the cuss I'm doing with him.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Doctor also seems cool to me, so I'll snag that too and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback and I'll check back as I unlock stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PMush Perfect posted:

Oooh, I like that. Doctor with Monitor and Abuse, Infectious Fright, BBQ, and Nurse's. That'd be a fun combo. Doctor would work well even without any other aura perks, so Pyro would have someone to play well while working on unlocking the perks/waiting for the Shrine.

Infectious Fright is redundant to Doctor IMO. He also doesn't have a one shot ability to leverage it with, so frankly not a recommend. Make Your Choice, Devour Hope, Pop, Overcharge, Surge, Unnerving Presence are all things I'd replace Infectious with.

Now don't get me wrong, information perks are amazing in this game and I think vastly underrated in some respects by a lot of the playerbase. However, Doctor of all killers needs way less of them because he provides his own info from his power. What he needs more is the ability to slow the game down even further to allow him time to finish chases, or the ability to one shot survivors to help save time. Or you can do a horrific meme build that makes survivors want to stop playing but it has mixed, if amusing, results.

edit: I mean you're pretty much agreeing with me on doc not needing as many info perks lol but I think my point still stands overall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What are some good tips/recommended perks for a beginner Clown? I've been playing the game with friends for months now but only started playing Killer a couple weeks ago. I mainly play Huntress and Deathslinger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What are some good tips/recommended perks for a beginner Clown? I've been playing the game with friends for months now but only started playing Killer a couple weeks ago. I mainly play Huntress and Deathslinger.
Playing a different killer! A HURR HURR. (For real, don't let people telling you he's bad dissuade you from playing who you want. It's a video game.)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hahaha, good joke. Who wants to willingly play Clown?

To answer your question in good faith first though, generally Save The Best For Last (STBFL), Monitor and Abuse, Pop Goes the Weasel, BBQ&C is fairly meta off the top of my head. Clown is pretty much all about the winning chases ASAP with his bottles and STFBL improves this even further. If you can't do that and snowball your pressure he's a pretty difficult killer if you're inexperienced. Once you hit the survivors that know how to spread out and pressure gens it'll start to be a struggle while you build killer fundamentals (knowing how to map pressure, when to break chase etc).

The actual reality is he is the most boring rear end killer I've played in the game to date. Seriously, all you do is throw bottles at people that make them scream and slow down. All the free killers and all the other DLC killers at least have something interesting going on and what does Clown have? Bottles full of farts and a creepy laugh. Wow. I could literally teleport, throw hatchets, set beartraps OR teleport traps, Shock therapy the poo poo out of people or be Michael loving Myers. Even the two chainsaw stooges are more interesting cause they goddamn chainsaws. And that's just the short list.

At least his perks are pretty drat good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I suspect Clown would benefit from Brutal Strength since the gas means people will throw the pallets earlier than normal.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well, played first match as the Doctor and hooked two Survivors, would have gotten a third but they got saved by their friend with a flashlight delaying me just long enough to let them wriggle out of my grasp. I poured all the bonus bloodpoints into Doctor so ended up running Monitor and Abuse (rare), Overcharge (rare), Spies from the Shadows (rare), and Sloppy Butcher (rare).

Among the others I have (including Whispers at Very Rare lmao), I have Bitter Murmur (rare), Iron Grasp (rare), and Deerstalker (rare). I think one of those might be better than Spies from the Shadows.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Well, played first match as the Doctor and hooked two Survivors, would have gotten a third but they got saved by their friend with a flashlight delaying me just long enough to let them wriggle out of my grasp. I poured all the bonus bloodpoints into Doctor so ended up running Monitor and Abuse (rare), Overcharge (rare), Spies from the Shadows (rare), and Sloppy Butcher (rare).

Among the others I have (including Whispers at Very Rare lmao), I have Bitter Murmur (rare), Iron Grasp (rare), and Deerstalker (rare). I think one of those might be better than Spies from the Shadows.

Go ahead and just list things as levels lol, it'll save you some typing and make it easier to parse. I'd say drop Spies for Whispers, with the cavet depending on your hearing you may need to actively look to see if the Whispers perk icon is lighting up to notice if a survivor is within range or not. The audio cue for it is pretty subtle but constant when it is active though.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

What's the sort of dark mist that appears at the edges of my screen? Not the general foggy levels, but like a deliberate effect. I've seen it tons of times and I don't know what it is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Whispers is very good for early game intel(approach a gen or two, if it's off they are 100% not in play at the moment) and zoning the exit gates(same idea, the remaining survivors will almost always go for pure stealth because you've lost as soon as you decide to commit to looking at the other gate but they're actually behind a pile of tires at this one.) It is like Spine Chill, the info can be replicated in other ways or by general good play but it is a very good perk to learn to use and it can compliment good play even when you're doing great.

There are plenty of big time survivor guides, DbD is a popular game. I'd vouch for watching the times Otz hits it or PainReliever's good analysis of both sides. Always remember that understanding good killer play makes you a better survivor and vice versa, there are times PainReliever can tell a gen hasn't been worked at a distance/through a wall because he saw a single particle of the damaged effect...

Clown works fine as a killer while you're new or rising in ranks, you can destroy 75% of the survivors in this game if you learn good M1 fundamentals and run around as 115% Machete Man. Aside from learning the angle of the bottle toss there aren't many tricks. You can throw it into the center of loops, like intentionally shatter it on a centerpiece tree or the killer shack roof and it'll actually drop to the ground and spread out. Players reflexively avoid it so you can smoke out rooms or around corners with the toss alone, even if they hear your TR. I think an addon can add a scream to the gas but you'll also get Intoxicated blood point notifications. Toss consistently and you can end chases fast, the math of you at 115% vs them at 85% works out nicely. At the end of the day though other kits do a bit more or have more muscle. A good Clown play ends the chase 10 seconds earlier. A good Oni play downs 3 people.

PainReliever has a nice basics vid with his trademark analysis and Otz has quite a few clown vids including a recent 35 win streak. Was shooting for 50 but got outmuscled by efficient survivors and mentions having to fight for his life several games just to get as far as he did.

Danknificent posted:

What's the sort of dark mist that appears at the edges of my screen? Not the general foggy levels, but like a deliberate effect. I've seen it tons of times and I don't know what it is.

You are Undetectable and have no Terror Radius or Red Stain and you don't show up on aura reads. Survivors can only see you head on. If you're using one of PHs default perks he can do it about once a minute with a gen kick.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 24, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Danknificent posted:

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's an indication you're currently not emitting a TR or red stain. I think the status effect is called Undetectable now? Certain killers get it via power, some via add-ons, and some via perks.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Evil Kit posted:

Go ahead and just list things as levels lol, it'll save you some typing and make it easier to parse. I'd say drop Spies for Whispers, with the cavet depending on your hearing you may need to actively look to see if the Whispers perk icon is lighting up to notice if a survivor is within range or not. The audio cue for it is pretty subtle but constant when it is active though.

Oh, it has a visual icon as well? That'll make it much more useful for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oh, it has a visual icon as well? That'll make it much more useful for me.
Yeah, the little perk icon in the bottom right will light up when it's active.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Doomykins posted:

You are Undetectable and have no Terror Radius or Red Stain and you don't show up on aura reads. Survivors can only see you head on. If you're using one of PHs default perks he can do it about once a minute with a gen kick.

Thanks!

I do noticeably better with Leatherface than anyone else, but I'm determined to use Myers and some point to kill someone with one of these Pig head traps. I put them on everybody but nobody ever dies from them :negative:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The traps are mostly meant to be a delaying tactic, forcing people to go get them removed ASAP when they activate. If you chase them, the trap timer stops so make sure not to chase people who already have a trap and go instead for the ones actually focusing on objectives. You have enough time to basically check three out of four boxes in a big map when you have a trap on you, so getting a kill with them is kind of an oddity.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Danknificent posted:

Thanks!

I do noticeably better with Leatherface than anyone else, but I'm determined to use Myers and some point to kill someone with one of these Pig head traps. I put them on everybody but nobody ever dies from them :negative:

Well, The Pig is more about delaying survivors than actually killing them, and it also gives you a route the survivors will take if you want to ambush someone (though, it's generally not worth it since they're spending their time not Repairing or Cleansing if they're running around).

Otzdarva has a tier list that I think is generally useful, but moreso for looking at how a killer's power impacts a game rather than is someone Actually Good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNwZmT3ei5M&t=6712s

Like the D tier killers are really basic M1 killers with something to give them a bit of surprise or an unreliable gimmick. Meanwhile Pyramid head is a machine gun now and a really good Nurse/Hag/Spirit is awful to play against.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's me, I'm the awful Hag to play against. I just had a game where I Devour Hope killed the first survivor, phantasm popped and hooked the second, and then spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out where the other two were (it was on Yamaoka Estate so I think they were just crouching in bamboo?) and then finally, blissfully, got the last two hooks. God what an amazing power instant teleporting is against a group that didn't bring any flashlights.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

poo poo, and here I was about to link a spreadsheet that Otz updates constantly with ratings of various perks and info of both killers and survivors along with some reliable killer builds. Honestly looking through Otz's stuff he does a fantastic job tutorializing this stuff.

Lisa (the Hag) is the most amazing and fun killer and I will toot that horn anywhere. Very powerful knowledge based killer, great theme. Play Hag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

From everything I've heard, learning Nurse is like learning how to fly. It's incredible once you do it, but expect to spend a lot of time faceplanting into the ground first.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. I'm back down in the rankings since I haven't played for months so I figured I'd finally pick up nurse again and boy. I'm glad I at least have some left over muscle memory from when I played her years ago because otherwise I'd be losing against actual babies.

But man whenever the stars align and I remember how to blink properly I can turn around whatever disaster I've set up for myself.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

poo poo, and here I was about to link a spreadsheet that Otz updates constantly with ratings of various perks and info of both killers and survivors along with some reliable killer builds. Honestly looking through Otz's stuff he does a fantastic job tutorializing this stuff.

Lisa (the Hag) is the most amazing and fun killer and I will toot that horn anywhere. Very powerful knowledge based killer, great theme. Play Hag.

Playing Dead by Daylight is just a very obvious path to becoming an Otz fan

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I played for a few hours today after not playing for a long time and was so far down the killer ranks that I spent the afternoon crushing with Trapper and Clown only. It reminded me why I like this game. I also had some survivor games that were, as usual, a mixed bag.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Trying the Survivor end of things, been having luck with Feng Min since without alerts to skill checks, Technician is a lifesaver. Although I did just have a game with Claudette and Ghost Face was chasing me through the cornfield. I accidentally whipped around and ran past him and he just kept going though. I won that chase :getin:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sales have started. All the characters are -50% in the in-game store (Silent Hill characters -20%), but not in the Steam DLC store. BUT! All the DLC, and the base game, are at least 50% off in the Humble Store, and they give Steam keys.

I'm thinking of getting Leatherface for the Grilling and Chili perk, and Pyramidhead because... well, Pyramidhead. But just Pyramidhead is only 400 in-game things (4€) vs. 5,59€ for the Silent Hill pack.

Is Cheryl worth 1,59€?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Der Shovel posted:

Sales have started. All the characters are -50% in the in-game store (Silent Hill characters -20%), but not in the Steam DLC store. BUT! All the DLC, and the base game, are at least 50% off in the Humble Store, and they give Steam keys.

I'm thinking of getting Leatherface for the Grilling and Chili perk, and Pyramidhead because... well, Pyramidhead. But just Pyramidhead is only 400 in-game things (4€) vs. 5,59€ for the Silent Hill pack.

Is Cheryl worth 1,59€?

imo yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are Auric cells cheaper too?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PMush Perfect posted:

Not that I saw.

I did the match last night of Cells vs the DLC that I wanted to get and the Humble Store was significantly cheaper. I don't know if that was due to my also being a Humble Monthly subscriber, but it's totally worth checking out.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
How do you play a situation against wraith that knows you have sprint burst so they just hover around you until you use it? Do you ignore them until they reveal or do you move away? I'm not a sprint burst person but I'm tired of dead hard lagging.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think auric cells ever go on sale.

temple posted:

How do you play a situation against wraith that knows you have sprint burst so they just hover around you until you use it? Do you ignore them until they reveal or do you move away? I'm not a sprint burst person but I'm tired of dead hard lagging.

A good Wraith is really hard to play against. Use your Sprint Burst to get to a relatively safe loop and prepare to run in circles as best you can?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

temple posted:

Like are they just sitting there invis waiting around for you to use it or trying to fake the uncloak? At some point you just need to start making use of Sprint Burst to get to a good position for looping if it seems like a wraith (or any killer) is on to you and seems to know how to bait you into using Sprint Burst.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the Humble Store tip, I was waiting for this inevitable holiday themed sale!

Baiting a sprint for a perfect uncloak hit sounds like a waste because Wraith can just recloak to recover lost ground and restart the chase. Walk him away from gens being worked on and get near a pallet and wait for him to bing bong. Sprint on the bing bong. Hell, it's sprint burst, work on a gen in his face and run on the bing. Any killer that will try to hold one survivors time hostage is getting bled from three other sides. Wraith is a very strict time limit killer as is, if you're at full health even if he uncloaks perfectly and you trip over your big floppy clown shoes you can use the on-hit speed burst to get to a loop.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw my least favorite thing in DBD this morning: a killer who facecamped on the first hook of the game, tunneled the guy through his inevitable rescue via BT, and then hit him with the mori. The guy straight up didn't get to play, and he didn't even do anything to warrant it (like teabagging or whatever, he was just working on a generator). Matches like that are such a drag. At least the killer wasted an ebony since that was the only person they managed to kill.

I've been thinking about turning cross play off when I play survivor but I wonder how bad the queues will be. Anybody have an opinion? I've come back after a couple months away so I don't know if the community generally embraced cross play or not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Crossplay is perfectly cromulent, I've seen astounding survivors and killers from console as well as the usual spread of newbies, average and potato. The only real difference is PC and Console can't see each others post game chat.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Doomykins posted:

Crossplay is perfectly cromulent, I've seen astounding survivors and killers from console as well as the usual spread of newbies, average and potato. The only real difference is PC and Console can't see each others post game chat.

A blessing in disguise

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As an aside is there any way to turn that off? These are the saltiest, most toxic motherfuckers I've seen in a game and I could do without racist and homophobic abuse after ~most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Der Shovel posted:

As an aside is there any way to turn that off? These are the saltiest, most toxic motherfuckers I've seen in a game and I could do without racist and homophobic abuse after ~most games.

What I did, from a steampost

quote:

You cannot disable it completely but you can hide the chat by default unless you press the >> button bottom right corner to unhide the chat. Every time you start the game the chat is hidden by default so what you have to do is follow this;

1) Press Win(Windows Key)+R, paste the following in the text box and hit enter:
%LocalAppData%\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

2) Find the following existing lines and change in the file:
ChatDefaultVisibility=True
to
ChatDefaultVisibility=False

3) Now save, and then launch your game. Enjoy your hidden chat by default!!