Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So people want the removal of fantasy elements in the Trails series, a fantasy series?

Makes no sense, but ehh. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

IMO, there is no way to read that post in which that meaning makes sense as opposed to the benign one and choosing to read it the other way is weirdly hostile
as opposed to posting the rolleyes emote at someone which, uh, hold on

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Junpei posted:

So people want the removal of fantasy elements in the Trails series, a fantasy series?

Makes no sense, but ehh. Whatever.

Speaking of posts that make no sense.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Goons are just upset their favorite character Elliott doesn't get enough lines instead of just enjoying class VII and crew overcoming the challenges they face. It's not like it's the Game of Thrones finale.

They're still going to buy the Hajimari western release

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elliot has lines?

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That said CSIV does have some kinda 'uh' moments which come a lot more from "This is sort of a generic fantasy setting" but read a lot weirder in 2020. Machais has a subplot where he encounters a character who is actively stripping nobles of their rank and money and forcing them to the front lines because they have been hording wealth and placing themselves above others and Machias's response is "Well that isn't *fair* you need to work within the law!! Nobility don't deserve that!" despite the fact there is a massive world war going on where poorer people from villages are being forcibly conscripted at tremendous rates which nobles are largely avoiding.

Well, would you prefer the money went to the authoritarian government that's sending those poor people to war in the first place? Cause that's where it would've ended up! The tetrology kind of made it clear that the nobles were the lesser of two evils, considering the rise of the Noble Alliance and the Erebonian Civil were all puppeteered by entities that had way closer ties to the military and reformist factions.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

ImpAtom posted:

Extremely minor CS3/4 spoilers about characters from older games.

the Agate/Tita thing is bar none one of the creepiest loving things in a video game. The fact the game makes a point of pointing out she is half his age and yet literally loving everybody is cheering Agate on is goddamn horrifying. I have no idea why Trails is so obsessed with sisterfucking (not related by blood) but the Tita and Agate thing is by far the creepiest of the lot.

drat. I guess I just ignored the creepy signs in favor of the most charitable interpretation that Tita has a crush on Agate, who sees her as nothing than a little sister sort. I never really saw the stuff by other bracers as cheering so much as teasing, either. Is this more... of a thing in CS4? or am I just that willingly oblivious?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With regards to the fujoshi thing:

I feel like it's worth pointing out that Dorothee exists and is referred to specifically as that in the Japanese version and specifically absolutely treats Rean and Crow's thing as shipping bait. While it is fair to say the word is poorly used it is also a case where it is explicitly used within the game itself to refer to that exact thing.

It is absolutely fair to say that it isn't a good word to use but it's also fair to point out that within the confines of the game that is exactly how it is described.

(And of course it's also fair to point out that Trails sometimes supports some really gross stuff!)

Sankis posted:

drat. I guess I just ignored the creepy signs in favor of the most charitable interpretation that Tita has a crush on Agate, who sees her as nothing than a little sister sort. I never really saw the stuff by other bracers as cheering so much as teasing, either. Is this more... of a thing in CS4? or am I just that willingly oblivious?

it is fairly blunt in CS3 but in CS4 it is hit-you-over-the-head with it, with Agate talking to her about how she's grown into a beautiful woman and being jealous at the idea of her having a boyfriend and all sorts of other stuff that makes the other interpretation impossible to escape.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

it is fairly blunt in CS3 but in CS4 it is hit-you-over-the-head with it, with Agate talking to her about how she's grown into a beautiful woman and being jealous at the idea of her having a boyfriend and all sorts of other stuff that makes the other interpretation impossible to escape.

as someone who breezed through SC with the power of agate's mighty yell, this is making me do a "euuuuugh" sound way deep in the back of my throat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

as someone who breezed through SC with the power of agate's mighty yell, this is making me do a "euuuuugh" sound way deep in the back of my throat

To be fair I think it makes everyone do that.

Someone really needs to sit down and explain to the Trails staff that 'I consider this person my sister" isn't secret shorthand for "I can't wait to take the bone train down to sis town."

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Slight correction, its always the girls initiating and the dudes getting literally hit upside the head with it repeatedly. They're only real crime is being the older party that isnt allowed to vehemently say no.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, Josh seems into it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sankis posted:

I can't wait until it's revealed that the grandmaster is the wandering musician from the first two cold steel games

I know this was posted as a joke, but I'm 80-90% certain he's an Anguis, specifically the one that is known as the Thousand Oathbreaker.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Veryslightlymad posted:

I know this was posted as a joke, but I'm 80-90% certain he's an Anguis, specifically the one that is known as the Thousand Oathbreaker.

Especially when he was mentioned to be in Erebonia during the Cold Steel 1 and 2 and guess what as soon as the musician doesn´t appear in 3 and 4 it´s mentioned the Thousand Oathbreaker is in another place. :aaa:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

IceBorg posted:

Especially when he was mentioned to be in Erebonia during the Cold Steel 1 and 2 and guess what as soon as the musician doesn´t appear in 3 and 4 it´s mentioned the Thousand Oathbreaker is in another place. :aaa:

Yeah, that's the basis for my spec. Arianrhod mentions that him and Vita are in charge of the Erebonian side of the Phantasmal Blaze Plan during Ao, so that's the part of the plan that's in CS1 and 2. And Andre is at every site of conflict during CS2 except the Infernal Castle, where Vita is. In fact, Andre is at every major event when Vita isn't. In CS1, where Vita is in Heimdall, he's also present at the Academy.

I'm almost certain that's who he is. It's got to be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Millium's 2nd S-Craft in CS2 is absurdly over the top. She's the best. :allears:

Just got through the return to Roer and honestly the game could have used a chapter like this earlier. Getting the kids back together was alright but it felt like largely setup and since getting the courageous nothing has really happened. But this chapter was great, Angelica's jokes can get tired but when she gets focus she's super rad (And I love how the game pretty much tells you to make her party leader because she's the real star here), there's a kung-fu mech fight, and we actually deal with one of the named antagonists. Hope this is a sign the game's finally getting into gear.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

:same:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, Millium's 2nd S-Craft in CS2 is absurdly over the top. She's the best. :allears:

Just got through the return to Roer and honestly the game could have used a chapter like this earlier. Getting the kids back together was alright but it felt like largely setup and since getting the courageous nothing has really happened. But this chapter was great, Angelica's jokes can get tired but when she gets focus she's super rad (And I love how the game pretty much tells you to make her party leader because she's the real star here), there's a kung-fu mech fight, and we actually deal with one of the named antagonists. Hope this is a sign the game's finally getting into gear.

One of the more poignant parts of the game comes next when you return to the market town.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Has anyone managed to download the digital edition of CS4 yet ? I keep getting errors.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I had the same problem - I'm assuming it's not unlocked for download yet. Gonna keep trying every few hours when I remember but I'm guessing it won't be until early morning on the 27th at the earliest.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
While it seems like a lot of folks are around in the thread, I'm curious if there's a consensus from the Trails veterans here on whether the Evolution version of the first arc is preferable to the standard/PC version? Early on in quarantine I went to the trouble of hunting around for reasonably priced copies of the Evo versions of Sky FC and SC, but I also have them on Steam, too. Is there anything that stands out as being particularly better or worse between the two versions of the game, or does it really just come down to whether you want to play it on the Vita/PC?

I also bought the Evo versions of Zero/Ao when I spotted a great deal on them this summer, but it looks like any hope of the Geofront patch being imported over to them is quite a ways off. Ah, well - suppose it'll be a while before I get to them, anyway!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Evo is generally considered worse (particularly the soundtracks) except for the voice acting, for which there is a PC patch.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Kikuchiyo posted:

While it seems like a lot of folks are around in the thread, I'm curious if there's a consensus from the Trails veterans here on whether the Evolution version of the first arc is preferable to the standard/PC version?

Not particularly. I guess Evolution does polish up some of the combat mechanics and introduces spells that didn't show up until the Crossbell arc in the non-Evolution versions, but the Evolution versions also have inferior art direction and sound design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy gently caress I went back to get the Romance trophies for ToCSIV and some of them are loving *rotten*

Musse's features phrases like 'is it any wonder I started thinking of you as more than the student' and 'You're the adult here" and my skin crawled right off. '

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Holy gently caress I went back to get the Romance trophies for ToCSIV and some of them are loving *rotten*

Musse's features phrases like 'is it any wonder I started thinking of you as more than the student' and 'You're the adult here" and my skin crawled right off. '

Fuckin' oof

Is Aurelia an option I am desperately trying not to google things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fuckin' oof

No. The choices are any Class VII woman sans Millium for obvious reasons in addition to Towa, Alfin and Elise. The worst is tied for Musse and Altina where Rean promises he's just waiting for her to graduate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

No. The choices are any Class VII woman sans Millium for obvious reasons in addition to Towa, Alfin and Elise. The worst is tied for Musse and Altina where Rean promises he's just waiting for her to graduate.

lmao loving hell

Laura it is, then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

lmao loving hell

Laura it is, then.

That is a far better scene, yeah.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fuckin' oof

Only CS1 characters and Rean's students.

On the Evo Vs OG debate.
You can never go wrong with Falcom Music.
The art is different, but not worse and as far as I could tell everyone had exactly as many portraits.
Anything to spice up Sky's gameplay is a plus and Evo was definitely sped up a bit, but I'd personally give the win to holding 6X turbo without ever letting go.
Estelle's VA is the most perfect match I have ever heard, and I had no issues at all with anyone elses, was very happy to finally have soft spoken Joshua.
It really all comes down to whether or not you like being chained to your computer to play games or you'd rather have the freedom to lie in bed and relax while playing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you do this to yourself.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ImpAtom posted:

It's interesting that Alisa essentially breaks up with Rean in the first bonding option so everyone pre TOCSIV thinks that Alisa is really the only choice for the last three games

It was kinda cute watching Rean have to bend down really far to kiss Towa

Fie's is kinda funny, "i'm 18 now" :getin:

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Evo is generally considered worse (particularly the soundtracks) except for the voice acting, for which there is a PC patch.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Not particularly. I guess Evolution does polish up some of the combat mechanics and introduces spells that didn't show up until the Crossbell arc in the non-Evolution versions, but the Evolution versions also have inferior art direction and sound design.

MythosDragon posted:

On the Evo Vs OG debate.
You can never go wrong with Falcom Music.
The art is different, but not worse and as far as I could tell everyone had exactly as many portraits.
Anything to spice up Sky's gameplay is a plus and Evo was definitely sped up a bit, but I'd personally give the win to holding 6X turbo without ever letting go.
Estelle's VA is the most perfect match I have ever heard, and I had no issues at all with anyone elses, was very happy to finally have soft spoken Joshua.
It really all comes down to whether or not you like being chained to your computer to play games or you'd rather have the freedom to lie in bed and relax while playing.

Appreciate everybody's thoughts on this - I had heard the same criticism of the music, but as I recall the option exists to use the OG soundtrack on the evolution versions, so I'll definitely plan on that. I may end up going with the Vita version simply for ease of use - I can hack together a couch setup using Steam Link and an iPad/Dual Shock 4 (definitely plan on doing that for the later Cold Steel games), but it's a bit more of a hassle than just hitting the power button and booting the Vita back up from sleep mode to hop in or out. And I believe Sky Evo has at least some turbo options (although not as robust as the PC) so that might be another point in its regard, as well.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

gently caress you falcom, you had such a good father-daughter bit going for this in CS3, uuuugh

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Nope, Evo reduced the number of expressions across the board.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

I like the evo portraits better, some of the evo remixes are ok but the original music is much better as a whole.

The best thing is the voice acting for sure, and they mostly keep the same voice actors throughout all the games so it’s great to hear Olivier’s voice pop up in each arc.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress you falcom, you had such a good father-daughter bit going for this in CS3, uuuugh

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Just imagine playing through Trails without seeing Smug Estelle lol

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeeeeeep.

I loved their relationship in 3 and Altina quickly became one of my favorites. Her being a romantic option should never even have happened.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

ImpAtom posted:

Is Elise an actual romantic option? Cause I was gonna make a post about how the writing around Estelle and Josh, even as early into FC as I am, was making me less and less sure the Rean/Elise bits in CS were supposed to be a joke like some posters have said.

Just lmao if Falcom actually let them hook up at the very end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I know for a fact I saw at least 10 portraits on Estelle and Josh.