Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

StarkRavingMad posted:

In the interim, I consider it completely fair to just save editor yourself 1,200 quicksilver per week for the mission you should have had.

And if you accidentally slap an extra zero or two on the end of that, well, oops, quicksilver is dumb anyway
I agree! But my PS4 does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ghostlight posted:

My favourite part of that quest is that the controls of my ship actually obscured the co-ordinates display, so I had to guesstimate which direction I was going and stop to 'lean forward' in order to read whether the co-ords were going up or down.

lol yuuuuup. i also had a great point where the sun was glaring off of the surface of the control panel so it was completely illegible :)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Holy poo poo look what I found:

:allears::allears::allears:

IT'S SO TINY! :3:

E: With co-ords if anyone wants to go hunting (Euclid) - https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1697254277864144951/B38E8B9AE119BB21D3960B4EBAAB3E1537E53506/

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 24, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Holy poo poo look what I found:

:allears::allears::allears:

IT'S SO TINY! :3:

E: With co-ords if anyone wants to go hunting (Euclid) - https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1697254277864144951/B38E8B9AE119BB21D3960B4EBAAB3E1537E53506/

Oh man, that looks so cute. :3:

Too bad that with 3 fighters, 1 hauler, 1 exotic and 1 living ship, all chosen based on how good they look, I'm already full.

But if we ever get more than 6 ship slots, I'll definitely go back and snatch this one up!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hyperactive posted:

I agree! But my PS4 does not.

Ah, good point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So now that I found a paradise activated indium planet with no storms or sentinels, I finally got back around to another iteration of Mining Experimentation and found something out-- storage network merging isn't a function of storage units/extractors or pipes, but specifically the combination of the two. You can throw down as many pipes, or storage silos, as you want, and you'll never have anything interact with anything else. However, as soon as a pipe endpoint or junction gets in range of a potential attachment point on a pipe or extractor, a bubble of space is triggered that causes every other nearby endpoint/junction to be considered as attached as well. This leads to fun "thing to watch out for" situations, such as "If you have two storage silos near each other, connecting a pipe to the connection point on one silo that's closest to the other storage silo might be close enough to cause a merge, but connecting a pipe on the opposite side will create enough distance to prevent it", but has two far more interesting use cases:

1. Storage density can, with care, be dramatically increased again:

4 seperate networks of 3x4 storage silos, seperate from each other-- one pipeline run up the center column is sufficent to merge the neighboring storage units, but not the ones further away. You could absolutely pull off a 2x3 with one pipe, possibly even a 3x3. (Additionally, as is visible, 4x extractors horizontally without merging are possible, as long as they're rotated such that their collection points are all on the outside).

2. Single location pickups of every network are possible with edit permissions:
Given several different networks optimized for speed

If you then run just pipes from them to a central location

Throwing down a storage unit in that central location immediately triggers a full network merge long enough for you to loot it

and as soon as you delete that single storage silo the network is split once more, uncapping them and letting you continue to mine unmolested by such paltry concerns as "diminishing returns". Vertical distance is taken into account too, so you can even make it nice and neat by throwing down some small/short walls and floors to cover the resultant Windows 95-screensaver-esque mess.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Throwing down a storage unit in that central location immediately triggers a full network merge long enough for you to loot it

Nice.

That's some drat precise extractor placement. I wound up aligning them to the center of floor tiles early on because they kept clipping into each other despite a pretty wide gap. Bonus points for FPS-saving encapsulation that will make that place usable on a PS4.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

Nice.

That's some drat precise extractor placement. I wound up aligning them to the center of floor tiles early on because they kept clipping into each other despite a pretty wide gap. Bonus points for FPS-saving encapsulation that will make that place usable on a PS4.

Metal quarter tiles are almost cheating-- if you rotate them right, they've got a design on them that almost perfectly corresponds to the size of an extractor and makes them pretty easy to get placed nicely. Then you can double-cheat by lining up the corner of one of them with the custom marker you dropped on the high-% of the hotspot to begin with and not worry about getting misaligned, ever

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Why would you want 17 stasis chambers a day or that much indium? What are you spending your money on? Haha i'm producing like 15-30 SC/FI a day if i wanted to but i'm at nearly 2b units and it's only going up so i literally stopped collecting resources because i don't have anything to spend money on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

Why would you want 17 stasis chambers a day or that much indium? What are you spending your money on? Haha i'm producing like 15-30 SC/FI a day if i wanted to but i'm at nearly 2b units and it's only going up so i literally stopped collecting resources because i don't have anything to spend money on.

I've been unit capped for a week, this is entirely for shits and giggles. (That said, if you decide "I want a different ship" and pay money for the storage upgrades instead of using augments, that costs 2-3b out of pocket, which is usually what people blow their wad on)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pretty much, yeah. It serves no purpose whatsoever, unless maybe you see a ship you like and just want to buy it and max it out *right now*. But it is a thing that the game permits you to do, and therefore, you must try it and see how far you can push things!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

No Man's Sky: It serves no purpose whatsoever

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ok ok so the giant glass thing apparently gives enough plants to generate 28 stasis units per day, rather than 17. Don't blame me, I was just using the numbers off a chart somebody made three years ago!

Also the domes are so close together vertically that using the auto collectors grabbed some plants from the rooms above as well, which was kind of amusing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Nice.

Yeah, it makes me a bit envious, since I tend to just spray extractors and silos around haphazardly. Also, my largest industrial nightmare base contains 4+6 extractors and 21+11 silos for both gas and ferrite extraction. Not exactly in the same league as most of those monster-bases.

Arghy posted:

At least it makes it easy to grab a new ship an bring it up to speed. Recently I good a really nice looking fighter and decided to upgrade the inventory to maximum the fast way, especially since all my ship slots are full and buying+scrapping ships to get inventory slots is not possible for me anymore. Paid nearly a billion credits for the full upgrade. So I'm back down to only ~330 million until I can be arsed to do more crafting. :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

But that’s only enough to buy the most expensive single item in the game twice! Such poverty. :wotwot:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Libluini posted:

Yeah, it makes me a bit envious, since I tend to just spray extractors and silos around haphazardly. Also, my largest industrial nightmare base contains 4+6 extractors and 21+11 silos for both gas and ferrite extraction. Not exactly in the same league as most of those monster-bases.

Before the nerf it was just kind of whatever, but now you need to be careful with storage and it's inadvertently created an entirely new challenge. I've got other games to play now but at some point I'd like to fire up a new save, crank the base limit, cheatengine the nanites and stuff so I could build like crazy, and create a base that caps cash in a single day. Just dump the entire global save limit into creating a monument to stupid pointless wealth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Poniard posted:

i also wish the information you see inside the cockpit were also displayed on the hud in third person

It is, sort of? If you pull down the analysis visor and - admittedly this can be the tricky part - don't point it at anything scannable, it shows a readout of the planet data including your current coordinates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But, same as with the ship, your travel speed is greatly reduced while you look at the coordinates, so it's still annoying to flip back and forth for a few minutes

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah i meant when youre flying the ship in third person

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Poniard posted:

yeah i meant when youre flying the ship in third person

It’s inexcusable how nonexistent the ship UI becomes in 3rd person.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So a few days ago I gave up on finding an experimental rifle, and instead bought and upgraded an experimental pistol I knew how to spawn. Well wouldn't you know it, but a random monolith just gave me a goddamn experimental rifle. At least I hadn't spent the nanites to upgrade the pistol from A to S yet :v:

I don't know if monoliths give consistent multi-tools the way stations do, but if so I'll note the planet's address for anybody who wants and leave a save beacon behind. It's in Euclid and right next to the galaxy center, too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm now on my way to the center of the universe. Is it supposed to be an incredible slog?

I'm 668,000 units away from it and one hyperspace jump only gets me like 1,000 closer at a push. With all the loading for each jump plus menu faffing about time, im gonna be looking at maybe 30 hours of this.

I finished the Atlas Path so I can see black holes now, but even then they don't seem to knock off much.

On top of that their distance report seems off. They'll say I'm travelled 123,000 units via a black hole, but in the solar system map I'll have maybe travelled 8,000 at most.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Black holes tend to deposit you somewhere on the other side of the galaxy which is why the reported distance from where you were doesn't match up with the reduction in distance from the centre.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don’t bother trying to get to the center until your ship can do 2500+ LY a jump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you finish the Artemis path you should be able to portal straight to the center. Doing it with the warp drive is supposed to be an incredible slog.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

So, I visited the anomaly today and someone gave void eggs to everyone there and now a squid-like ship(?) gave me a cryptic message and now I have a mission called starbirth. What are these for?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OgretailFood posted:

So, I visited the anomaly today and someone gave void eggs to everyone there and now a squid-like ship(?) gave me a cryptic message and now I have a mission called starbirth. What are these for?

Its the living ship quest. Proceed to obtain a weird procgen alien bug that you can fly around in!

Nobody has randomly spotted me a void egg so far, maybe because I'm walking around with the Iteration 1 title and they expect me to already have a fleet of them, I dunno. :v: I'll get one eventually but I gotta finish making myself pretty first.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah wtf 3 of my friends were given void eggs too why can't they give me one so i can rage in here about the quest!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

Its the living ship quest. Proceed to obtain a weird procgen alien bug that you can fly around in!

Nobody has randomly spotted me a void egg so far, maybe because I'm walking around with the Iteration 1 title and they expect me to already have a fleet of them, I dunno. :v: I'll get one eventually but I gotta finish making myself pretty first.

You want one? I just used a save editor to give myself unlimited quicksilver because gently caress that 250 a day grind.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Thundarr posted:

Nice, I can get my own alien ship, except is way too far from any system I ever visited and I need an Indium Drive. Speaking of, traveled to my first red system and it's an empty/uncharted system; no trade outpost, no space station, and the first planet is weird, it's actually creepy if you ask me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zesty posted:

You want one? I just used a save editor to give myself unlimited quicksilver because gently caress that 250 a day grind.

I wouldn't refuse a freebie. Right now I'm mostly just farming nanites which isn't terribly exciting.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Is there a craft all/lots button? also seriously gently caress crafting 30 stacks of 5 then having to move all that poo poo then craft another 30 stacks of 5. A good trick is to find out what you'll need before hand then just craft a gently caress load of that. Enriched carbon, nitrogen salt, thermo catalyst can all be crafted to cut down on the work of crafting the next tier up.

I just wish they made it easier like, hey remove the loving steps and craft the final product if i got everything i need in my inventory please? Why do i need to spend 30 minutes crafting when i've already done the time investment to have the resources and blue prints required?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

I wouldn't refuse a freebie. Right now I'm mostly just farming nanites which isn't terribly exciting.

Yeah whenever. I'm not EXACTLY sure how to get together or how to send items, but I've definitely seen other people do it. Send me a PM or a message on Discord. Zesty#0348. Steam available too, if that's more convenient.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 25, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Arghy posted:

Is there a craft all/lots button?

When you open the craft menu to select what item to craft, when you hover over it you can press A or D to increase the crafting amount. I think it’s LB and RB on controller. You can’t hold the button down and there’s no way to skip to max, but it’s something.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Zesty posted:

i did that after three quicksilver missions in a row crashed just as i was landing back on the anomaly to turn them in, including a big weekend one for scanning an entire planet which involved running around for 45 minutes waiting for literally any animal to spawn, and i decided i never wanted to do quicksilver missions again. i didn't actually end up using that on any void eggs, though, because i bought one legit when they first came out and for some reason it duplicated itself every time i logged in for a bit so i ended up with a stash that i've mostly given to friends. the bugs giveth, and the bugs taketh away, i guess

still haven't finished the living ship quest, though :v:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zesty posted:

Don’t bother trying to get to the center until your ship can do 2500+ LY a jump.

I've been sticking s class upgrades in the ship, which ones am I supposed to look for to do this?

haveblue posted:

If you finish the Artemis path you should be able to portal straight to the center. Doing it with the warp drive is supposed to be an incredible slog.

Are these the glyphs that I've been getting on occasion as I jump from system to system now? I've finished that storyline and put him in the simulation.

I even got a goodbye message from him, though that seemed to imply that I told him he was dead (I actually chose not to).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kin posted:

I've been sticking s class upgrades in the ship, which ones am I supposed to look for to do this?

3 in Tech. 3 in normal inventory. Arrange into squares. Use Your hyperdrive or one of the color drives as your fourth for bonuses.

Doing this kind of setup works in your normal inventory + tech as well. Obviously doesn't work in the multi-tool because it only has one inventory. I recommend you get 6 movement upgrades. This is my ship, for instance. I'm don't think the orientations are perfect, but you get the idea.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 25, 2020

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I've just come back to this game after a couple of years away from it.

It's just overwhelming now. It seems like it'll take tens of hours to achieve anything! :gonk:

I wanted to jump in and see some of the new stuff, like volcanoes, but instead I was running back to my basic ship every 2 minutes because I was running out of toxic protection. It just became frustrating.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mouko posted:

I've just come back to this game after a couple of years away from it.

It's just overwhelming now. It seems like it'll take tens of hours to achieve anything! :gonk:

I wanted to jump in and see some of the new stuff, like volcanoes, but instead I was running back to my basic ship every 2 minutes because I was running out of toxic protection. It just became frustrating.

Just harvest a few Sodium plants. I gathered like 400 Sodium early and haven't worried since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Shield Lattice and a lot of sodium is all I use, even in endgame.