Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I went Genesis -> N64 -> Dreamcast as a kid, which owned

Absolute same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I didn't even know anyone with any SEGA systems growing up, indeed the PlayStation was the first non Nintendo console I ever saw in person, and I had no idea about the existence of any of SEGA's systems besides the base model Genesis, the Game Gear, and the Dreamcast until I got my hands on some old gaming magazines from the mid 90s, this would have been around 99 or 2000

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

falz posted:

If by n64 you mean PS1, then yes. My sample size was more of young adults (18-21) though.

my frame of reference is middle schoolers. i only ever knew one kid who got a saturn, all the rest of us got n64s. then most of us got ps1s as well when THAT ff7 commercial came out.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
i never heard of a sega saturn until like the 2000s. i got really really into panzer dragoon, virtua fighter, robo pit, but most of all, albert oddysey

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So both of my kids are obsessed with Sonic The Hedgehog and one thing I really appreciate about the Sega Saturn is the Sonic Jam collection.

For one thing it has a cool little animation where you "pick" the cartridge you want to play and if you select Sonic & Knuckles you can even do a "lock on" to Sonic 1/2/3 and it shows the cartridges going into each other.

The real winning feature is that there is an "easy mode" which makes each zone just be 1 level. I know I beat the game as a kid but I know that I also spent hours by myself playing Sonic and I don't want to repeat that behavior. Beating Sonic The Hedgehog with my kid on easy mode was a pretty fun thing. He was excited.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I was more disappointed there wasn't a Hard Mode as well, since I thought the games were too easy by the point I came to Jam.

I mean, they're not, each of them had some rather annoying stumbling blocks for me as a kid (Labyrinth Zone's boss and Scrap Brain's everything in the first, the pop-out gun placements you have to jump across quickly over a bottomless pit in Wing Fortress for 2, the crushing wall in HCZ2 and The Barrel in 3&K), but they're still some of the easier games that gen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That barrel in 3+K makes me mad to this day. I think I wound up using a game genie to clip through the wall there because it was so loving unintuitive.

mewse
May 2, 2006

WTF did everyone have The Barrel experience as a kid?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s legendarily bad design

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I didn't play it until I was a teenager and it got me still.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Been feeling like playing Saturn games. Hows the emulation scene these days? Also for Dreamcast?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I went Genesis -> N64 -> Dreamcast as a kid, which owned

Genesis -> PS1 -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> PS2

My cousin had a saturn but he lived far away and I always thought it was the coolest thing ever

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 20, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Been feeling like playing Saturn games. Hows the emulation scene these days? Also for Dreamcast?

Genesis -> PS1 -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> PS2

My cousin had a saturn but he lived far away and I always thought it was the coolest thing ever

I know they were spaced out a little bit, but you were a lucky bastard to get two consoles from the same generation, twice. I went Genesis -> PS1 -> PS2. Of course, there were some handhelds in there. Then, my friends had a lot of the consoles I did not.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Quite good I'm finding on both counts. I use Mednafen (via BizHawk) for Saturn and Redream for DC (free, but I paid :fivecbux: for HD resolutions and to help fund its development).

There are some caveats though. Saturn emulation is still pretty intensive - my i7-7700K powers through it but the i7 in my laptop, which is only like a generation behind, cannot keep up at 100%, so the result ends up being kind of jerky and the audio skipping is extremely apparent. YMMV there. As for Redream, the big downside is no support for Windows CE games, which cover a fair number of titles I do want to play, but most of the library doesn't use it so you'll have quite a bit to go through even still. If you really have to play Sega Rally 2, Resident Evil 2, either Tomb Raider, Worms Armageddon, Maximum Pool, the leaked betas of the Half-Life port, or the obvious system seller that is KISS Psycho Circus* in an emulator, you'll have to check out either nullDC or the Flycast core in Retroarch - both handle Windows CE well enough, though I don't find them as user-friendly as Redream.

(*Snark aside, this one's okay... on PC. DC is a bit of a slideshow and has Turok controls besides, with no KB+M support. I don't recommend it there.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Flycast is what I've been using and I haven't had any compatibility errors to speak of. Everything works great, including Sega Rally 2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I tried Worms Armageddon, Maximum Pool and Unreal Tournament (not a WinCE game but shush) on Flycast. Worms worked fine, Pool had some rendering issues that I didn't get past for whatever reason (whether that was because I couldn't get past them or if it was just :effort:, I couldn't say). UT99 was to try simultaneous mouse/keyboard support, but something was horrifically broken such that the menu to enter my name in kept backing out whenever I typed maybe one or two letters in, and then either the keyboard or mouse just flat-out stopped responding in-game after one single alt-tab. Granted, Redream doesn't have mouse support yet (unless the dev added it in since the last developmental build I checked - since last I checked, only the keyboard half of the time-honored KB+M pairing was a selectable input option), so I guess it's technically still better...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's possibly less of a headache (and more fun) to buy a Dreamcast with a busted laser and a gdemu.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I should note that Sega Rally 2 is the only WinCE game I've tried, because basically everything else I'm interested in that's WinCE has a better version out there.

Like, RE2 is equivalent on PSX and arguably better on both PC (with fan patches) and GC. Worms is inarguably better on PC, because the PC version still gets semi-regular updates. UT, similarly, is probably jank but I have no need for the DC version when the PC version still has an active player base.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I know they were spaced out a little bit, but you were a lucky bastard to get two consoles from the same generation, twice. I went Genesis -> PS1 -> PS2. Of course, there were some handhelds in there. Then, my friends had a lot of the consoles I did not.

My dad had the genesis already and got the ps1 for himself. But my brother and I begged him for a n64. I basically saved up for the dreamcast and ps2 myself though with my brother. But yeah I do consider it lucky as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I also just noticed that Sonic 1 on the Sonic Jam collection has spindash added into it and it makes it so much better.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spotted this yesterday when out and about. I think it's from 1957 and is the first Sega machine they put out.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played? Regardless if it was 30 years ago or last month. ( Or any game from any Sega console really. ) My older cousin had a Genesis before I owned one and he let me play it. His game collection was made up almost entirely of sports games that I wasn't really interested in.

And then I saw it, Budokan... Yes the first Genesis game I played was Budokan.

I remember enjoying it to the point it got me wanting a Genesis. I played it recently and it doesn't really hold up at all. If the controls weren't clunky and awkward it might not be a terrible game.

Phantasy Star II on a rented Genesis. I've replayed it on PS4 and holy poo poo it was worse than I remember. The difficulty is pretty bullshit, especially the fact that you can't target individual enemies in combat and have to pray that your characters are smart enough to finish off badly wounded enemies first rather than spread their attacks around all the enemies (hint: they usually aren't). And having to keep a FAQ close at hand just to know what the drat spells do is pretty drat obnoxious. The overworld music IS pretty drat sweet, though.

I'm proud to see that I answered this question (which was most definitely just asked yesterday) in record time.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

...! posted:

Phantasy Star II on a rented Genesis. I've replayed it on PS4 and holy poo poo it was worse than I remember. The difficulty is pretty bullshit, especially the fact that you can't target individual enemies in combat and have to pray that your characters are smart enough to finish off badly wounded enemies first rather than spread their attacks around all the enemies (hint: they usually aren't). And having to keep a FAQ close at hand just to know what the drat spells do is pretty drat obnoxious. The overworld music IS pretty drat sweet, though.

I'm proud to see that I answered this question (which was most definitely just asked yesterday) in record time.

I love the official explanation given in supplementary materials for why PSII's dungeons are so rude: they were all designed by one overenthusiastic new employee and everyone else saw what he'd done and went "well, we'd feel bad throwing out all this work, so let's keep them". I'm sure deadlines were also a factor in that decision, given that it was a launch-window title and had already gone through one major story rewrite during development.

I will say, while the dungeons are miserable, they're at least creatively and artfully miserable. They're not just awful mazes, there's an awful maze with stairs constantly going up and down to keep you disoriented, an awful maze where you have to find a specific tree on top of a mountain from among 7 identical-looking trees by passing through caves that connect between distant parts of the mountain, an awful maze that you navigate exclusively by falling into pits...

The battle system design, on the other hand, just feels kinda rushed. You get a bunch of different attack techniques that look like they should have different elemental properties but elemental resistances and weaknesses aren't actually a thing in the game (and you'll never have enough TP relative to the number of fights you get into to really cut loose on anything except bosses, of which there are exactly three in the whole game), you're never going to see the Nagra technique at all because a reasonable endgame level is 30-35 and the only character who can use it gets it at level 45 (and it's not even that strong), and one of the late-game weapons is bugged to have almost zero attack power (not that you'd use it even if its numbers were correct, because most of your characters are better off wearing two shields and attacking with items).

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Do you guys know if there is a way to play Sonic 3 with the Sonic & Knuckles game locked legit? I mean is there a compilation that has that game combo? (Other that that saturn one)

Sonic 2 and S3&K are my favorite Sonic games

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sonic mega collection for GC / PS2 / xbox had it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

New Wave Jose posted:

Do you guys know if there is a way to play Sonic 3 with the Sonic & Knuckles game locked legit? I mean is there a compilation that has that game combo? (Other that that saturn one)

It’s on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/71162/Sonic_3__Knuckles/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

New Wave Jose posted:

Just use community-borne stuff like Sonic 3 AIR. Sega doesn't care, why should you?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SCheeseman posted:

Sega doesn't care, why should you?

Yeah, no, that is a contradiction. They are still making the combined game available to buy as seen above where they can do so. That is an important distinction since this game is a mess of copyright disputes over its music due to the MJ estate and god knows who else. It's also the reason why Christian Whitehead wasn't allowed to remaster it like the other games he did.

Also, buying it from Steam gives you a rom that you can do whatever you want with it. There's mods available (from within Steam even) and you can also throw it at whatever emulator/everdrive you want.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, no, that is a contradiction. They are still making the combined game available to buy as seen above where they can do so. That is an important distinction since this game is a mess of copyright disputes over its music due to the MJ estate and god knows who else. It's also the reason why Christian Whitehead wasn't allowed to remaster it like the other games he did.

Also, buying it from Steam gives you a rom that you can do whatever you want with it. There's mods available (from within Steam even) and you can also throw it at whatever emulator/everdrive you want.

the specific project linked has only been tested with the Steam rom, and they strongly imply that using it with any version you didn't legally purchase will result in glitching. "Sega doesn't care" isn't being said in the sense of "it's cool to pirate it," it's being said in the sense of "use fan projects like Complete or AIR since they're not gonna give it a proper remake."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Saoshyant posted:

I really don't get why they don't just replace the music if it's such an issue

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

And the prototype music is better anyway!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the specific project linked has only been tested with the Steam rom, and they strongly imply that using it with any version you didn't legally purchase will result in glitching. "Sega doesn't care" isn't being said in the sense of "it's cool to pirate it," it's being said in the sense of "use fan projects like Complete or AIR since they're not gonna give it a proper remake."

Got it. It's cool that project requires a legal version of the game. Most wouldn't bother.

drrockso20 posted:

I'm going to guess it's the "but it wouldn't be the authentic experience" excuse.

Funny enough, back in the 90's they released Sonic 3+K on the PC with a different soundtrack, most likely because there were already licensing problems back then. I don't know if that version's soundtrack is any good, though.

I actually have a copy of that version here from a pack thing that came with three Sonic PC games (the Sonic Action Pack), but I don't have the hardware for it and haven't bothered figuring out a VM to test it out.

IIRC, you can hear a bit of it in this LGR video that nearly the end goes over this compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581n2n_V_4c

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 26, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

I meant more that they don't care about people using software like AIR or reverse engineering and decompiling efforts. If anything they seem to encourage it, it's kinda neat.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Funny enough, back in the 90's they released Sonic 3+K on the PC with a different soundtrack, most likely because there were already licensing problems back then. I don't know if that version's soundtrack is any good, though.

Sonic & Knuckles Collection for PC uses the prototype music (music which was likely written prior to MJ & Brad Buxer's involvement), but it's all converted to MIDI so it doesn't sound quite right.

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Sound_Differences

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mods please change title to The Sega Console Genesis Thread.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some guy made his own Sega Neptune:

http://8bitplus.co.uk/your-consoles/sega-neptune-md2-32x/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Posted in discord

https://retronauts.com/article/1679/the-sega-test-mock-exam-prepare-to-be-humbled

Anyone here up to test their SEGA Might?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have been going nuts refurbing game gears lately. Several recaps and a couple full builds with new plastics, mcwill screens, etc.

New screens are so much better it's insane:

What I've learned:
  • The GG version of Super Off Road is inferior to arcade/SNES
  • Shinobi is hard as gently caress holy poo poo how are you supposed to play this
  • MK2 has "Toasty!!" but no sound clip just an 8 bit chirp
  • I am definitely a mario guy not a sonic guy
  • GG is loud af

Next one will have the USB-C board so I don't need to steal my genesis power brick in lieu of AAs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wow that beige coloured one is sick

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks! Two more fallen game gears showed up today. I am one more parts order away from having way, way too many working GGs.

[edit]
Welp first one took perfectly to $5 in capacitors. Upon receipt it would only show lines across the screen, now it shows ninjas:

PCB was in great shape, very little corrosion though this one has the stinky caps which smell like fish when the hot air gun hits em.

If you haven't seen it before the backlight for this screen is literally a 3" fluorescent tube inside that silver reflector.

And if you haven't played Shinobi, the very first enemy you encounter is a suicide bomber.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Anyone here have experience with the Brook's Wingman SD converter? It's an adapter that can connect to a Dreamcast or Saturn controller port and let you use nearly any modern controller via usb or bluetooth. On top of that it will give you Dreamcast keyboard and vmu memory storage which is a nice bonus.

I was thinking of picking one up. I think with this I should have just enough Saturn controllers to fill a multitap (as long as no one complains about using some of the clearance 3rd party controllers I picked up decades ago.) As well as a fourth Dreamcast controller. And I'll finally be able to play Typing of the Dead.

As much as I love the Saturn's controllers, the Dreamcast's was never my favorite.