Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pro-chinese leftists are in the fun position that they understand how a significant amount of press about China in both the general and the specific is bullshit propaganda, but do not understand that there is also, independently, more than enough evidence of China's committing a whole hell of a lot of human rights violations. Perfect example: China is probably not harvesting organs from their muslim population, that's an insane and lurid piece of horseshit written by a dude who, independently, is convinced that gay sex will cause the apocalypse. China is just genociding their muslim population, in a very boring and utilitarian way, absent giallo-esque theatrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

the new Cosmonaut picture show on Hocus Pocus with Marcus and Vero is back up! Watch it before the bots take it back down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubWxnTzyDA&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=TheCosmonautVarietyHour

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The tweet essay from some bluetick about how Xi Jinping should watch Hamilton is one of the funniest I've seen all year tbh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I honestly don't know what people see in Hocus Pocus. It's always felt like the meme answer to any question about Halloween movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It should be Ernest Scared Stupid that holds that specific place in our culture. Children don’t even know about Ernest any more!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Ertha Kitt!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

I honestly don't know what people see in Hocus Pocus. It's always felt like the meme answer to any question about Halloween movies.

well, if you glance at the poster for the movie and the company logo that's above the title, you might find your answer

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alright got back and was able to read this. So I think you're greivously misreading the titke of Dan's video. It's probably referencing the Gulf War piece. Given the parentheses around the word (not) it's a pretty obvious reference to the titles of the Evangelion rebuild movies that all have (not) in the title and are intended to be read both ways, and actually works with his closing statement of the Snyder Cut both existing and not existing. Whereas there is no evocation of an elaborate fiction to justify an unpopular action that you would expect if a reference to Baudrillard's piece of intention. In fact the only reason for a cut being approved presented in the video was a popular market demand. Similarly his tweets used as evidence of some anger at Snyder are just pointing out that WB is betting a lot on this, a lot more than one would have previously expected. Then the full thread speculates that this is caused by AT&T's previous bad business decisions (nothing to do with Snyder) putting them in a place where they need big wins or else they're gonna be in trouble.

Movielistsman hasn't uploaded in over a year an only had two videos breach 5k views ever.

I don't watch Maggie Mae Fish or Michael Saba so no clue on any validity to grouping them in this argument.

Then yes moviebob does the exact straw man creation you are describing to everyone he doesn't like. Specifically yeah basically everything you described about anti-snyder people is in his tortuously terrible BvS video. I don't know if he made a Justice League specific vid of similar discourse.

So is this a beef with these people in particular or a more generalized group that is meant to be representative? If it's the latter I think you're doing your essay a disservice by including as your five examples one guy who didn't say what you're claiming and another guy who is essentially a twitter rando. Then not really elaborating on how content actually feeds into the ideological framework you present, beyond mean youtube titles. And really it wouldn't be hard to do so, just elaborate on the actual content of videos and include more moviebob tweets. I'm sure he's got plenty saying that like Snyder fans are mass shooters in the making or something similar.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Alright got back and was able to read this. So I think you're greivously misreading the titke of Dan's video. It's probably referencing the Gulf War piece. Given the parentheses around the word (not) it's a pretty obvious reference to the titles of the Evangelion rebuild movies that all have (not) in the title and are intended to be read both ways, and actually works with his closing statement of the Snyder Cut both existing and not existing. Whereas there is no evocation of an elaborate fiction to justify an unpopular action that you would expect if a reference to Baudrillard's piece of intention. In fact the only reason for a cut being approved presented in the video was a popular market demand. Similarly his tweets used as evidence of some anger at Snyder are just pointing out that WB is betting a lot on this, a lot more than one would have previously expected. Then the full thread speculates that this is caused by AT&T's previous bad business decisions (nothing to do with Snyder) putting them in a place where they need big wins or else they're gonna be in trouble

I think caring about how much a movie costs is largely silly but it should also be noted that most of the actual money-related decisions from WB about ZSJL have come after the pandemic started, which means that the people in charge were making them in a world of constant flux where no one knows where movies will be in 3 months or when things will get back to normal.

my personal theory is that WB gave it the thumbs up in February as something they could use to get some press and get a small passionate group of fans to subscribe to their streaming service which was already a little lacking in content. When everything exploded they panicked and started shoveling more money at it in the hopes that building off of something that already existed would be easier than filming movies that haven't gone beyond pre-production.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That would make sense since isn't that happening with Disney? They're realizing that Disney+ is simultaneously a huge drain on resources while also maybe being their one potential way to hang on through the continuing pandemic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

One of the issues this thread might be having is that barely any movies are coming out, meaning there's a lot less to talk about, so we just keep going back to the same wells.

Hey, speaking of that, what do you think is going to be the next Disney movie to be remade in live action and less than the animated version and do the princess/female lead dirty next?

Is it possible to do a worse job of it than Mulan and Aladdin? How could this be achieved?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DC Murderverse posted:

my personal theory is that WB gave it the thumbs up in February as something they could use to get some press and get a small passionate group of fans to subscribe to their streaming service which was already a little lacking in content. When everything exploded they panicked and started shoveling more money at it in the hopes that building off of something that already existed would be easier than filming movies that haven't gone beyond pre-production.

The go to media strategy is (well, was at this point) still trying to copy Marvels success and create a shared universe where you can branch out any character into their own movie. And this is basically giving them a second go on this.

Get „release the kurzman cut“ trending on Twitter and we might get a second chance for the dark universe too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I believe Disney is able and willing to do Pocahantas but worse in live action.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, speaking of that, what do you think is going to be the next Disney movie to be remade in live action and less than the animated version and do the princess/female lead dirty next?

Is it possible to do a worse job of it than Mulan and Aladdin? How could this be achieved?

Snow White would be a pretty bad option.

So Avatar 2?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

There's no way they are doing Pocahontas in this day and age.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

disney should aggressively reverse course and do animated remakes of mediocre old Disney live action movies like The Happiest Millionaire

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RareAcumen posted:

Does the Little Mermaid remake count?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Wasn't this in D&D or CSPAM? No wonder it turned to poo poo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Pocahontas live-action remake Disney movie will in fact be a live action remake of the Dingo Pictures version.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Pocahontas live-action remake Disney movie will in fact be a live action remake of the Dingo Pictures version.

There already is a live action Pocahontans remake, tho..? Its called James Cameron's Avatar.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man I have to ask but is Guru Larry turning into a chud?

The last video I watched from him was about characters having their names changed for "stupid" reasons and one of the examples he cites is a character renamed for the west because the name was insulting to Native Americans the character was named Brave Heart. ) He doesn't really harp on it too much but it stood out more that he didn't elaborate at all.

Surprisingly his video about three times journalism lied about videogames wasn't that way though as it was three Jack Thompson type scandals.

I'm still leaning no but that was a heck of a slipup.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 26, 2020

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I don't think guru larry is intentionally chuddy, but he's also british and maybe not as good on certain things as someone who has ever spoken to native american might be.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Man I have to ask but is Guru Larry turning into a chud?

The last video I watched from him was about characters having their names changed for "stupid" reasons and one of the examples he cites is a character renamed for the west because the name was insulting to Native Americans the character was named Brave Heart. ) He doesn't really harp on it too much but it stood out more that he didn't elaborate at all.

Surprisingly his video about three times journalism lied about videogames wasn't that way though as it was three Jack Thompson type scandals.

I'm still leaning no but that was a heck of a slipup.

Hahahahahhahahahahahaha

...Sorry, I didn't think this would come up lol

Anyhoo, short answer: No, definitely not. I mean I guess I'm biased as he's a friend and frequent collaborator and all that but Larry isn't a chud at all. He doesn't have much at all in the way of big political opinions really.

The more detailed answer is that in that specific video, which is a collab between Larry and DJ Slope, there was at one point a fair bit more of an explanation going into said name change in Crystal Castles...however, a few days ago there was a bit of an audio problem, in that the music used for half of that section landed DJ Slope with a copyright strike on his channel. Larry's solution (understandably) was to go into the YouTube Editor and cut out the whole bit with said music in it. So unfortunately the segment in said video as it is now is kinda incomplete and it just stops after revealing the name change. I didn't see it before then so I dunno about the content that's not there anymore.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

edit: ok, well I guess Kim knows, especially considering shes knows the man IRL so take her word over all the bs I just wrote

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 26, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes that's what I figured Kim.

I've never had the impression he'd ever be malicious so I'd guessed it was a slip up or he just wanted to keep the video breezy.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nah that was totally fine words that I saw, fleetingly. We've talked about it a bit. Not to go into detail but he's in much more of a better place now than he was a few years ago.

What's probably worth mentioning too is that Larry's channel is in many ways quite a collaborative effort and there's more than just himself working on the scripts/editing. Not that he really pretends otherwise tbh, he'll always say if asked.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

Nah that was totally fine words that I saw, fleetingly. We've talked about it a bit. Not to go into detail but he's in much more of a better place now than he was a few years ago.

What's probably worth mentioning too is that Larry's channel is in many ways quite a collaborative effort and there's more than just himself working on the scripts/editing. Not that he really pretends otherwise tbh, he'll always say if asked.

Ah ok that's good to know. I was worried about him myself but I trust your judgment. :)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never asserted there was a rift in the movement or whatever this is. It sounds like there were some people who thought there was a mostly complete movie ready to mass-burn to DVDs, some people who thought Snyder should be allowed to come back and "finish" his movie, and some people who would've been pleased with whatever rough state his prints were in. The bigger point here is the unifying conviction it would be a superior movie to what we got, but was suppressed or undermined for X/Y/Z reasons before. And like yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased with whatever comes out, but the anti-hype I'm seeing is all in the vein of "Oh god how can this work without it collapsing in on itself" every time another new character is confirmed to be added to the reshoots or whatever. It's not some simmering outrage that a corporation is feeding fans what it wants, or that his is the sign of some great moral defeat letting Snyder direct something again.

I would say I've definitely seen a fair amount of the latter, and that's in part my motivation for writing about it - people are perfectly entitled to the former viewpoint, obviously. Just for example, Kay and Skittles (who I generally appreciate) is of the position that being against the Snyder cut is a moral issue to do with big media being able to recut a film to different political sensibilities. And I think if you take the arguments made by Maggie Mae Fish in her videos seriously, then opposing Zack Snyder being able to make more films is a properly moral demand because her case is that those films are promoting violence against minorities. Check out the comment thread under her last video where people are speculating about what sort of bigoted portrayal of their death Snyder would direct. If this were my position then yeah, I'd be very serious about stopping the man making more films.

So is this a beef with these people in particular or a more generalized group that is meant to be representative? If it's the latter I think you're doing your essay a disservice by including as your five examples one guy who didn't say what you're claiming and another guy who is essentially a twitter rando. Then not really elaborating on how content actually feeds into the ideological framework you present, beyond mean youtube titles. And really it wouldn't be hard to do so, just elaborate on the actual content of videos and include more moviebob tweets. I'm sure he's got plenty saying that like Snyder fans are mass shooters in the making or something similar.

I think this is fair, I want to talk about a general phenomenon I've picked out in communities that I'm a part of, not a conspiracy perpetuated by a few central figures. I wrote the essay first, then grabbed a few recent tweets more to break up the wall of text than to serve as examples, and I didn't want to single out any particular rando, so I stuck to people with reasonable sized audiences. I think it probably does give the wrong impression, I'll see what I can do about it.

I did recognise the Evangelion reference, the relation to Baudrillard is more my hook for bringing in that stuff but it seemed unnecessarily rude to say "lol, bet this idiot didn't even know he was paraphrasing Baudrillard".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Personally, I am looking forward to your YouTube career.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

today marks the nadir of my support for the snyder cut.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

Like Doctor Spaceman said, The Little Mermaid is on their slate, still, and a live action Lilo and Stitch is filming right now. Then I think all that's left are the C-tier Disney Renaissance things like Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Tarzan, or the post-renaissance stuff like Moana and Frozen. Maybe The Black Cauldron, but a lot of people would be surprised that's even a live action remake.

IIRC the Algonquin attitude when people ask about Pocahontas being re-adapted into stuff is something like "please... lease us alone, we're so tired..." Which wouldn't be great for Disney's optics when Moana's right over there with pretty close to the same plot and better public perception.

josh04 posted:

I would say I've definitely seen a fair amount of the latter, and that's in part my motivation for writing about it - people are perfectly entitled to the former viewpoint, obviously. Just for example, Kay and Skittles (who I generally appreciate) is of the position that being against the Snyder cut is a moral issue to do with big media being able to recut a film to different political sensibilities. And I think if you take the arguments made by Maggie Mae Fish in her videos seriously, then opposing Zack Snyder being able to make more films is a properly moral demand because her case is that those films are promoting violence against minorities. Check out the comment thread under her last video where people are speculating about what sort of bigoted portrayal of their death Snyder would direct. If this were my position then yeah, I'd be very serious about stopping the man making more films.

I have no idea who KayandSkittles is but their point looks to be that corporations were capitalizing on dissatisfaction to create an artificially-enhanced need for "The Snyder Cut" and what it means as far as redoing widely-perceived blockbuster bombs in the future. Maggie Mae Fish's video on deaths in Snyder films is about how they tend towards being used grim utilitarian commentary and how that feeds into the wider tonal perceptions about the future of humanity and human nature. She also says it's fine and there's plenty of things to find appealing in the films, even if she isn't personally a fan of his recurring motifs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nuns with Guns posted:

IIRC the Algonquin attitude when people ask about Pocahontas being re-adapted into stuff is something like "please... lease us alone, we're so tired..." Which wouldn't be great for Disney's optics when Moana's right over there with pretty close to the same plot and better public perception.

Moana's plot is extremely different to Pocahontas's plot. Like, extremely different.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Ross, aka RubberRoss/Ninja, has a new video up where he and a group of his friends play a recreated version of Among Us for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfoLw_mxS6E

Among US is already a tense game in its normal 2D format, and seeing how well it translate to VR really makes me want to invest in some VR gear in the future.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pocahontas is the stupidest answer I could think of, and honestly the one most liable to cause real harm. And given the events of the past decade I'm going to bet on the stupidest option being what will happen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Considering both Linkara & Hbomb have played Among Us on stream now, I'm counting down until we get them, Lindsay, Todd, Jenny, Lupa and a bunch of the other former CA crew together.

Also if they get Jim loving Sterling, Son that would also be excellent.

Speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzpXx7xSsM

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HopperUK posted:

Moana's plot is extremely different to Pocahontas's plot. Like, extremely different.

I'm just referencing Lindsay Ellis' video on Pocahontas here

https://youtu.be/2ARX0-AylFI

I do think Moana has a lot of distinct featured to it that make it work better than Pocahontas though, like just adding a clear dangerous force and having a journey/road trip plot makes it way more engaging.

Pocahontas is the stupidest answer I could think of, and honestly the one most liable to cause real harm. And given the events of the past decade I'm going to bet on the stupidest option being what will happen.

Ah yeah, see I'd think Hunchback would be the worst likely possibility, if only because Disney is going to either have people tossing around a real racial slur constantly again or have to awkwardly write around it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
That Japanese Guy Yuta makes interesting videos where he interviews random Japanese people about random things, such as what does it mean to be masculine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZrb4hYGuDA

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ah yeah, see I'd think Hunchback would be the worst likely possibility, if only because Disney is going to either have people tossing around a real racial slur constantly again or have to awkwardly write around it.

They’ll remake Hunchback but instead of being ugly he’ll turn out to just be really shy and insecure, like what happened in one of those knockoff cartoons Phelous reviewed. Can’t miss an opportunity to cast an attractive actor in your lead role, after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll only watch it if there's a laughing goat and someone shouting "you is the pope of fools."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I thought that there were plans for an adaptation of The Chronicles of Pyrdain in place already, or did Disney scrap those when GoT had its wet fart of a finale last year?