Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

You're acting like there's no relationship between those two events.

And bullshit he's not getting paid, that makes zero goddamn sense.

There isn't

It does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Directors don't work for free in Hollywood. He's getting paid.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Directors don't work for free in Hollywood. He's getting paid.

It comes down to if you believe him or not. That's what he said. I believe it because this isn't a normal situation. The project seems to have a personal significance to him, which isn't so strange, considering the circumstances.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

McCloud posted:

It comes down to if you believe him or not. That's what he said. I believe it because this isn't a normal situation. The project seems to have a personal significance to him, which isn't so strange, considering the circumstances.

Even if the payment is like, a donation to a suicide prevention thing in his name, there is money changing hands from WB to him or somewhere he has asked it to be directed, I guarantee you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The director’s guild would never allow him to work for free.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Zack Snyder, defying every guild rule, nobly directing a major franchise product for an exclusive streaming platform, refusing any payment out of the goodness of his heart.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm really more worried for some of the actors' careers, if the Snyder cut turns out into a complete flop, given the degree to which some of them have associated themselves with marketing this thing.

Also I hope Snyder actually *is* getting paid for this. The director's salary is a very small slice of the overall budget so it's not like refusing to get paid actually affects the production. What it does do, if the practice is normalised, is gently caress up the economics of the industry, especially for small time directors who don't have the established clout of Snyder.

Working for huge megacorps for free isn't noble, it's bad.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 26, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think this is pretty niche all things considered. There's a very passionate base of people who would move heaven and earth to see it and then more people curious about it as a spectacle. But I wouldn't even try to explain this to the people in my life who I usually go "hey, here's the next super hero movie if you want to watch it." So even if this capsizes disastrously I can't see it falling on anyone besides Snyder (and whoever oked this) unless the actors really, really go down with the ship.

Mostly I think the worst that will happen is it limps out to a release and becomes another point of INTENSE debate amongst a very, very small crowd. And WB never gives Snyder money again.

I also do not believe Snyder is working for free nor do I think he should.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 26, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The director’s guild would never allow him to work for free.

Yeah, it's this. The Guilds (rightfully) get pissed when people don't follow their rules, and this is a high-profile enough project there's no way he's getting around that.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

McCloud posted:

Snyder himself has said he isn't getting a paycheck out of this. And the point is that even if you didn't happen to like his films there's plenty of others who do. Saying he mishandled the DC franchise because you're not fond of his version of Superman or whatever is nonsense, saying WB mishandled it by butchering the third installment of it and then immediately canceling all other superhero films that hadn't already started production is not.

I feel this is a little short sighted, especially for a subjective medium. Saying Snyder objectively didn't mishandle things and WB did is tenuous. Both Batman v Superman and Justice League failed to meet Warner Bros. expectations, so from at least their perspective both were mishandled. But believe it or not there is plenty of people who like both, or just BvS, or just Justice League. To any individual observer they will inevitably consider the ones they don't like as mishandled, as you display here. But it's not objective.

I personally think both were mishandled.

Basically it's almost impossible to work out how well liked a film really is as there is no reliable metric for doing so. Box office isn't reliable as that is dictated by brand awareness, marketing and screen estate as much as genuine positive word of mouth, the same goes for DVD sales and streaming (how many Grandma's would have bought little Jimmy BvS or Justice League because it had Batman and Superman on the cover). Critics are obviously not a good representative for the average viewer, and even sites like letterboxed and imdb will have a user base infinitesimal in comparison to the amount of people who saw the film.

Test of time is maybe the only way. If these films are watched and beloved in twenty years time and passed on through generations then maybe that will prove something. I don't think they will be though.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's this. The Guilds (rightfully) get pissed when people don't follow their rules, and this is a high-profile enough project there's no way he's getting around that.

Maybe there's a loophole like even though they're clearly shooting a bunch of new poo poo if it's filed under reshoots maybe they don't have to pay him because they already paid him for the movie, I don't know probably not.
Either way it wouldn't surprise me if he broke Guild rules to make a grand gesture/point, he seems like the exact kinda guy at the exact point in his career to do it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

Snyder himself has said he isn't getting a paycheck out of this. And the point is that even if you didn't happen to like his films there's plenty of others who do. Saying he mishandled the DC franchise because you're not fond of his version of Superman or whatever is nonsense, saying WB mishandled it by butchering the third installment of it and then immediately canceling all other superhero films that hadn't already started production is not.

All you are saying is "I like them so stop saying people don't." I know you liked them, McCloud. A lot of people did not. Their reputation is not good. It was poor after Man of Steel and worse after BvS. To act like the DCEU was absolutely lighting the world on fire and breaking box office records until that rotten Justice League killed them is disingenuous. Like me not liking them is about a singular me, but you liking them is about the plenty of others who do. That knife cuts both ways.

Idc about Snyder saying he wasn't paid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Only information coming from Supreme Leader is true. Everything else is compromised, nothing else is to be trusted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe McCloud is making bad-faith arguments about Snyder.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Maybe there's a loophole like even though they're clearly shooting a bunch of new poo poo if it's filed under reshoots maybe they don't have to pay him because they already paid him for the movie, I don't know probably not.
Either way it wouldn't surprise me if he broke Guild rules to make a grand gesture/point, he seems like the exact kinda guy at the exact point in his career to do it.
If by "exact point in his career" you mean "the end of it when he never intends to make anything in Hollywood again" then sure, I guess. I'm not sure low-budget indie films is where Snyder's style will shine, but maybe I'm wrong!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo this owns

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1320772360753000451?s=21

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deleted, what did it say?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume it was this and was removed for a typo or something?

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1320775034919501825

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah the original tweet said Moon Night :lol:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Suddenly I give a poo poo about Moon Knight

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gonna wait til I hear it from Disney after the Maslany thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

Gonna wait til I hear it from Disney after the Maslany thing.

Aw man, I didn't know that until your post. Just a rumour, dang.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

Aw man, I didn't know that until your post. Just a rumour, dang.

It's more likely that she isn't saying anything until Disney comes out and says it. The showrunner mentioned her on Twitter. Paul Rudd had to do the same thing way back when before he was officially announced.

So far all the Marvel stuff has come from respected sources, but not Disney themselves. So until the Mouse says something, you're probably not gonna hear the actors confirm it.

But anyway, if that is true, that's fantastic casting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well he's already got the Mr. Knight costume down.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re-watching Marvel films in time-they-took-place order on public library blu-rays because what else is there to do in 2020? Some minor issues during the film due to library quality but One-Shots and deleted scenes work fine.

Holy poo poo there is a ton of deleted scenes on Incredible Hulk. Many of the scenes are actually in the movie but much shorter. And man the other scenes set up a lot of subplots that would have likely been explored in sequels if Norton stuck around/wasn't crazy or the film was a bigger success than it was. Also Ross/the military come away looking a lot worse in the deleted scenes and I wonder how much the military objected to those scenes because I know they worked pretty closely with Marvel on Iron Man 1 and maybe had some influence on Hulk too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also possibilities apparently: Daveed Diggs and... Nick Kroll???

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

notthegoatseguy posted:

Re-watching Marvel films in time-they-took-place order on public library blu-rays because what else is there to do in 2020? Some minor issues during the film due to library quality but One-Shots and deleted scenes work fine.

Holy poo poo there is a ton of deleted scenes on Incredible Hulk. Many of the scenes are actually in the movie but much shorter. And man the other scenes set up a lot of subplots that would have likely been explored in sequels if Norton stuck around/wasn't crazy or the film was a bigger success than it was. Also Ross/the military come away looking a lot worse in the deleted scenes and I wonder how much the military objected to those scenes because I know they worked pretty closely with Marvel on Iron Man 1 and maybe had some influence on Hulk too.

Christ...

So before Incredible Hulk came out on Blu Ray the director was hyping it up that it had this deleted scene where Banner tries to kill himself and how it has Captain America. This was before we knew anything about the Cap film.

So I watched that scene so many times. And basically if you went through it frame by frame there is a single frame where after Banner turns into the Hulk and smashes the ice you can see a kind of shadow in the ice that maybe looks like the classic illustration of Captain America frozen in the ice.

I felt so ripped off when I watched that thinking I would get something more substantial than what it ended up being.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Arist posted:

Also possibilities apparently: Daveed Diggs and... Nick Kroll???

Hire all three. All three can be Moon Knight.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Christ...

So before Incredible Hulk came out on Blu Ray the director was hyping it up that it had this deleted scene where Banner tries to kill himself and how it has Captain America. This was before we knew anything about the Cap film.

So I watched that scene so many times. And basically if you went through it frame by frame there is a single frame where after Banner turns into the Hulk and smashes the ice you can see a kind of shadow in the ice that maybe looks like the classic illustration of Captain America frozen in the ice.

I felt so ripped off when I watched that thinking I would get something more substantial than what it ended up being.

Yeah I watched that alternate opening and tried seeing it. And it is a blink-and-you-miss-it shot. Hell, probably something made up like when the Russo brothers implied Punisher appeared in Winter Soldier because he drove a truck that ran into some of the terrorists attacking Fury.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were a bunch of videos dissecting that scene when it came out. It's more like a "punch yourself in the face and squint real hard and you might see it" sort of thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah I watched that alternate opening and tried seeing it. And it is a blink-and-you-miss-it shot. Hell, probably something made up like when the Russo brothers implied Punisher appeared in Winter Soldier because he drove a truck that ran into some of the terrorists attacking Fury.

The Punisher did appear in Spider-Man 2 though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Davros1 posted:

Jesus that screen cap looks like a last known photo on the news

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the Cap shot the version where he tries to shoot himself but Hulk spits the bullet back out?

Ruffalo Banner mentions that in... Avengers I think? And I know it's referring to a scene from the movie, but I don't know if it was ever shot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Davros1 posted:

Huh. Never knew about that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Is the Cap shot the version where he tries to shoot himself but Hulk spits the bullet back out?

Ruffalo Banner mentions that in... Avengers I think? And I know it's referring to a scene from the movie, but I don't know if it was ever shot.

It's a similar scene to what he describes but the method is different. I believe he tries to throw himself off a cliff in the Arctic but hulks out before hitting the ground, setting up he helicopter thing later in the movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
God I remember that. They made it sound like he was about to shoot himself but Cap walks up and is like “don’t do it, you have so much to live for.”

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

In what I watched, Banner pulls out the gun but doesn't even get to the point of aiming it at himself. He has it cupped in his hands as he Hulks out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Davros1 posted:

is that supposed to be thomas jane

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

is that supposed to be thomas jane

It's his stunt double from the Punisher movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The man was just trying to lay down some flowers for his family and this lady just had to negligently run right over them. drat sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Davros1 posted:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus that screen cap looks like a last known photo on the news

Megan is Missing 2