Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Also feel free to mess with the liquid. I always use dashi powder at the very least. Last curry I made I added soy sauce/mirin/sake like any other Japanese thing, yuzu kosho, a few cubes of frozen garlic and ginger, a splash of vinegar at the end, some Sichuan pepper oil, and a couple squares of dark baking chocolate.

:psyduck:

This is some magical sounding cookery, I'm gonna quote this so I can find and try it later.

im on the net me boys posted:

Also I've been getting better at tamagoyaki!! It was hard to roll at first but I've gotten the hang of it

Ooh this is a good reminder for me to pick up some more nagaimo, wanna get back into making some okonomiyaki :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Does anyone have experience with Japanese hot water dispensers? I've been making enough tea to warrant one and I'm thinking of getting a Zojirushi but I also have seen a Panasonic model that's like $50 cheaper. I really like Zojirushi appliances so I am inclined to pay the extra unless the Panasonic is just as good

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
I've spent half of this pandemic cooking new types of food and recent CSA hauls really lent themselves to some experimenting thanks to this thread. Not being able to wander through the local Asian groceries has made finding some ingredients tough, but internet sauce and Kewpie mayo recipes at least got me something good.

Chicken katsu with rice and kabocha; the simmered squash recipe from the OP was super tasty.

I think my veggie:batter ratio was a little off for okonomiyaki and I'm not brave enough yet to eat straight katsuobushi as a topping, but this put me in a happy cabbage coma.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Big Buteo posted:

Chicken katsu with rice and kabocha; the simmered squash recipe from the OP was super tasty.

I think my veggie:batter ratio was a little off for okonomiyaki and I'm not brave enough yet to eat straight katsuobushi as a topping, but this put me in a happy cabbage coma.

These look great, awesome job. You've reminded me how much i love that kabocha recipe, though I haven't been able to make much Japanese food recently for many reasons.

I think the okonomi looks good, and unlike say a Korean pancake should have more cabbage with just some batter holding it together than the other way around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, the good Hiroshima okonomiyaki is just a fuckin mountain of cabbage just barely stuck together.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, the good Hiroshima okonomiyaki is just a fuckin mountain of cabbage just barely stuck together.

That's how I make it and I refuse to think it should be made any other way :colbert:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Johnny Truant posted:

That's how I make it and I refuse to think it should be made any other way :colbert:

Agree fully with this. I think pancake is kind of a misnomer. Good okonomi is more like a food pile mess.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
With a little box thing of Golden that calls for something like 1.5 cups of water I will substitute about 1/3 of it with dashi and it really boosts it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I've recently seen a curry at the local market that has dashi included in the roux, so I imagine it might be a popular pairing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I always make mine with dashi stock.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Does anyone have experience with Japanese hot water dispensers? I've been making enough tea to warrant one and I'm thinking of getting a Zojirushi but I also have seen a Panasonic model that's like $50 cheaper. I really like Zojirushi appliances so I am inclined to pay the extra unless the Panasonic is just as good

We've had this Panasonic for like 15 years now and it still works fine.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Stringent posted:

We've had this Panasonic for like 15 years now and it still works fine.

Thank you for your help but also please clean your water dispenser

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Thank you for your help but also please clean your water dispenser

No.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Very well

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you need constant hot water or would getting an electric kettle and just boiling what you need as you need it work better for you?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Helith posted:

Do you need constant hot water or would getting an electric kettle and just boiling what you need as you need it work better for you?

Believe me, I have been rolling this over in my mind for multiple months and finally came to the conclusion to purchase one of these appliances.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Believe me, I have been rolling this over in my mind for multiple months and finally came to the conclusion to purchase one of these appliances.

Fair enough, I’m British Australian so kettles are the norm and I’ve never not had one wherever I’ve lived. They are dirt cheap and efficient.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I had debated this for a while too but ended up going with an electric kettle too. Although I see how working from home for the last however long I've been trapped here makes having a Japanese electric pot more attractive as well.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Just tried a pickled plum and it was much stronger tasting than I expected. Now I have a package of these that I don't want to eat :/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember someone posting an easy Miso rice recipe, but I can't find it. I have both brown and white miso I need to use up.
Any recommendations for simple dishes?

I made Tonjiru with it but had to buy more than I needed. Tonjiru is AMAZING comfort food. Highly recommended. I subbed turnip for daikon and leek for Negi, and regular mushroom for fresh shitake and it was really really good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't remember the miso rice recipe but if it is any consolation the miso should last a really long time in your fridge so no rush to use up.

Edit: do you like fish? If so then maybe saba misoni?

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 26, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Just tried a pickled plum and it was much stronger tasting than I expected. Now I have a package of these that I don't want to eat :/

send them to me because I fuckin’ love ‘em

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

I don't remember the miso rice recipe but if it is any consolation the miso should last a really long time in your fridge so no rush to use up.

Edit: do you like fish? If so then maybe saba misoni?

Weird, maybe the Miso rice recipe was another thread.
I love fish and will try to get mackerel.

My one Miso says "store in fridge after opening and use within 14 days" the other just says "use up soon". I have no idea how accurate that is. How long should it be good for roughly? 1 month, 2 months...?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish I could eat curry again, but it's just so dissatisfying without rice. :negative:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hopper posted:

Weird, maybe the Miso rice recipe was another thread.
I love fish and will try to get mackerel.

My one Miso says "store in fridge after opening and use within 14 days" the other just says "use up soon". I have no idea how accurate that is. How long should it be good for roughly? 1 month, 2 months...?

That's really odd but if I remember correctly you're in Europe? So the brands might be different but as a fermented food my experience with the miso I have is it seems to keep some what indefinitely in the fridge.

Edit- like if it grows visible mold or discolors or starts to taste or smell off then it's not good, otherwise I can keep it for like 6 months plus easily.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I really wish I could eat curry again, but it's just so dissatisfying without rice. :negative:

Curry udon, my dude

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

a cyborg mug posted:

Curry udon, my dude

Totally this, love to make some curry udon.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I dig making a big ol’ pot of curry and having some of it with rice. Then the following day I heat it up and have some more with udon - zero effort meal. If I’m feeling especially lazy I might just get some bread and dip it into the curry and finish it off that way. Good times

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You can put leftover curry on omurice too if so inclined.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

Curry udon, my dude

You just reminded me I have a fuckton of both ramen AND udon noodles hidden in my cupboard :toot:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They can be chopped up and added to other stuff. They are pretty powerful just by themselves, you rarely just eat a whole one on its own. Even something like ume onigiri chills it out a bit by having the rice there to dilute.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Umeboshi are definitely something that took me some time to start to enjoy personally, but now I do. Seconding the onigiri recommendation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

That's really odd but if I remember correctly you're in Europe? So the brands might be different but as a fermented food my experience with the miso I have is it seems to keep some what indefinitely in the fridge.

Edit- like if it grows visible mold or discolors or starts to taste or smell off then it's not good, otherwise I can keep it for like 6 months plus easily.

Yeah in Germany, the one that says 14 days is some European miso brand, the one that says soon is from an Asian grocery store and imported from Japan. Thanks for the advice, this is my first time using miso so I am in uncharted territory...

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

Been craving some curry like burning lately. Might make a big pot of it sometime soon. :baby:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

https://twitter.com/chunkyfila/status/1321835665676533766?s=21

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Like a really long spam musubi.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Hotdog musubis are real and good in Hawaii, though

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

canoshiz posted:

Hotdog musubis are real and good in Hawaii, though

Yeah and they look better than that

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
in china they'd have hot dogs grilled on sticks with all the yang rou chuan spices on them and they were good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a cyborg mug posted:

Curry udon, my dude

a cyborg mug posted:

I dig making a big ol’ pot of curry and having some of it with rice. Then the following day I heat it up and have some more with udon - zero effort meal. If I’m feeling especially lazy I might just get some bread and dip it into the curry and finish it off that way. Good times

hallo spacedog posted:

You can put leftover curry on omurice too if so inclined.

Carbs, is the thing.