Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's okay, they'll tweet "END RACISM" and we can finally put this whole ugly episode behind us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

It would be near impossible to show that anything around hockey operations can be considered sufficient to be fired with cause. Fans may disagree with moves, but unless any were done without an owner's permission somehow or displayed a fundamental misunderstanding of how the business works that's just how it goes. From an employment perspective you can't really make the case that lack of on ice success has anything to do with failure of job performance. Plus hockey operations is only a portion of a GM's job even if it's the most prominent. They're the general manager of all or a significant portion of the organization for the most part, so the business side of things is just as important to job performance. Losing hockey games doesn't really matter if the business is profitable and otherwise successful financially.

It's not that teams are just old boy's clubs and want to have a half dozen old managers on the payroll as much as wanting to go a different direction isn't sufficient to void a contract (unless it was written terribly).

What happens if they actually got caught loving a chicken?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

The details are really bad

quote:

Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court to bullying Meyer-Crothers, who was tricked into licking a candy push pop that Miller and another boy had wiped in a bathroom urinal.Meyer-Crothers had to be tested for hepatitis, HIV and STDs, but the tests came back negative, according to a police report.

Meyer-Crothers, also 18 and who now lives in Detroit, said Miller had taunted him for years, constantly calling him "brownie" and the "N-word," while repeatedly hitting him while growing up in the Toledo suburb. Other students at their junior high confirmed to police that Miller repeatedly used the "N-word" in referring to Meyer-Crothers.

"He pretended to be my friend and made me do things I didn't want to do," Meyer-Crothers said in a phone interview. "In junior high, I got beat up by him. … Everyone thinks he's so cool that he gets to go to the NHL, but I don't see how someone can be cool when you pick on someone and bully someone your entire life."

[...]

Joni Meyer-Crothers said one of the key reasons Miller and the other boy admitted to the crime and avoided a trial was because it was caught on a surveillance camera, and it would have been shown in court.

"It was absolutely brutal," she said. "Had he not pled guilty, the video would have been released. It would have been so much worse on Mitchell because of the brutality to our son … He's smashing Isaiah's head against a brick wall."

The family declined to release the video to the Republic because Isaiah said it would be too embarrassing for him.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Sure glad the Coyotes cheated in the draft in order to draft a racist rear end in a top hat who can't be bothered to apologize directly to the developmentally disabled black kid he bullied.

Real character guy you got there Arizona.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1320787579277627393

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Pens are just going to endlessly cycle in Mario and Sid's cup winning buddies into executive roles until the end of time

and i'm ok with this because they somehow keep winning cups despite it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The hosed up reality about that Miller kid in Arizona is he'd get picked by some team no matter what. The awful part is he clearly hasn't done good to the family/kid that he abused.

However, hopefully he can do something with the platform he has...but yeah seems unlikely.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So the Coyotes got more time with the draft eligible kids than anyone else and still forgot to ask them if they had any been charged with being the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Man, I sure love the Coyotes. Too bad they got dinged draft picks for some nebulous "too much time spent" rules. I'm sure our new GM will make great choices with their limited selections, though. Time to look at the news.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the Coyotes and gently caress that piece of poo poo.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

sedative posted:

jfc

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What are the Coyotes hoping he proves himself to be? Slightly less awful and undeserving of a multi million dollar contract because that's just about the best you could ask for.

Can't wait until he's named to the team USA WJC squad and this is spun as some sort of tearful redemption arc.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

What are the Coyotes hoping he proves himself to be? Slightly less awful and undeserving of a multi million dollar contract because that's just about the best you could ask for.

Can't wait until he's named to the team USA WJC squad and this is spun as some sort of tearful redemption arc.

Maybe instead of constantly using slurs, he moves to occasional use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't pull the "he made a mistake" excuse when it was a longterm thing over years.

That's a lot of loving mistakes.

He was a 4th round pick (Coyotes didn't have their first 3) so he's an easy skip not to pick a sack of poo poo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

picturing some dumbass detached team exec reading off a prepared statement at a presser, "you know, everyone makes mistakes along the lines of *reading notes* bashing a black developmentally disabled boy's head into a brick wall" and just breezing right past it without even acknowledging what he said

the culture that exists in hockey from peewee up is hosed, fellas. heckin bad

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
there are a lot of performatively mad Trump worshipers online who are now rooting for the Arizona Coyotes, For Reasons

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Aye Doc posted:

picturing some dumbass detached team exec reading off a prepared statement at a presser, "you know, everyone makes mistakes along the lines of *reading notes* bashing a black developmentally disabled boy's head into a brick wall" and just breezing right past it without even acknowledging what he said

the culture that exists in hockey from peewee up is hosed, fellas. heckin bad

"Boys will be boys"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Overlooked is the fact that the Coyotes were well aware of this long before the draft and still decided to select him anyways.

quote:

"Mitchell sent a letter to every NHL team acknowledging what happened and apologizing for his behavior. Mitchell made a huge mistake, but we are providing him with a second chance to prove himself. We hope that he uses his platform moving forward to raise awareness about bullying and to discourage this type of behavior.”

A "huge mistake" is backing your parent's truck into an electrical pole or calling the teacher mommy. I realize the NHL seemingly prides itself on being the tone deaf out of touch league, but good god please have some accountability here.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's Luke Heimlich all over again.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

grack posted:

What happens if they actually got caught loving a chicken?

Then they “resign to spend time with their family.” Basically at that point it’s the Bill Peters option where the team goes “we’re getting our lawyers to write something up saying we’re firing you for being a horrible person and breaking all the personal conduct clauses in your contract. If that happens, you will get no money and get your name dragged through the mud even more. You could fight it and try to get some severance, but we all know how that’s going to end up. Or you can just go away right now and save us the effort.”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

Except MLB teams showed the bare minimum of sense and didn't draft him. It's not even like Mitchell is some can't miss talent where a team might turn a blind eye for self serving reasons. He sucks poo poo and likely won't make it anywhere near the NHL. Why would any team want that attention?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Pungry posted:

Up here in Corvallis there are still people who think he didn't get a fair shake. Its absolutely terrifying.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
That kid sounds too racist for even the KHL

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

So the Coyotes got more time with the draft eligible kids than anyone else and still forgot to ask them if they had any been charged with being the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable?
They knew about it, as did every other NHL team apparently. They mentioned he had sent letters to every NHL team about it and it was part of the interviews process. So I guess either no one cared or maybe he dropped a bit from where he would otherwise be drafted.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well that's all terrible. gently caress the coyotes. It would still be absolutely no excuse but I can see the mental gymnastics if he's like a projected first rounder that ever one passed on because of his racism and general shittiness and they took a swing in the 3rd round. He's just a plug with like a 10 percent chance of becoming a regular. What a loving joke.

Then again, if he wasn't drafted we'd probably get inundated with articles about hockey cancel culture and a great lamenting how some poor rich white kid doesn't get to follow his dreams and instead has to settle for a 6-7 figure salary at daddy's law firm or whatever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

That kid sounds too racist for even the KHL

Your av soothes me greatly

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/1320769105297719296

The Coyotes just didn't care.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/KevinKarius/status/1320872279157411841?s=19

It's just a day of crummy news all round

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:smith:

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Martin Hanzal just retired. Kind of surprising.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mike Works posted:

Ex-Coyote retiring out of protest for the Miller pick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike Works posted:

I think we could see quite a few early retirements of players who have made their money (I assume he has?) and don’t want to play through Covid.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This legit fuckin sucks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I think we could see quite a few early retirements of players who have made their money (I assume he has?) and don’t want to play through Covid.

He got a nice contract from Dallas

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

sedative posted:

:stare: jesus christ

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

ThinkTank posted:

Your av soothes me greatly

let meditating huggy be our guiding light in these tumultuous times

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DGB has a really fun draft exercise. Make a team of the best 1st overall pick, best 2nd, etc., but he has to use all 31 teams.

quote:

As Neil says, we’re going to put together one round, lasting 31 picks, from all of NHL Draft history. Every player we take has to have been drafted in that exact slot, and we have to use one pick from all 31 existing teams.

To up the difficulty even further, I’m going to add another wrinkle: We want to come away with something resembling a realistic extended roster, so I’m going to say we need to use our 31 picks to draft four goalies, nine defensemen and 18 forwards.

We’re picking guys based on their entire NHL career, not just what they did for the team that actually drafted them.

While we’re presenting this as the ultimate first round, we’ll allow players who weren’t actually first-round picks as long as their draft slot matches the one we’re on. For example, in the 1980s the 22nd overall pick would have been a second-round choice, but that’s still OK for our team.

Finally, we’re only looking at players who were drafted by one of the 31 current teams. No picks by the Nordiques, Whalers, Golden Seals, etc. But the Winnipeg Jets count as both the old version and the new. If you’d like to head into the comments or my Twitter mentions to argue technicalities about franchise lineage, let me assure you that I do not care. Go find a Winnipeg hockey fan and tell them they think about hockey wrong. The Jets are the Jets.

The fun of this comes in when you realize some teams have very little (or generally horrible) 1st round draft histories.

That blue line is absolutely god tier.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1321094092152078347?s=19

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DJExile posted:

DGB has a really fun draft exercise. Make a team of the best 1st overall pick, best 2nd, etc., but he has to use all 31 teams.

The fun of this comes in when you realize some teams have very little (or generally horrible) 1st round draft histories.

That blue line is absolutely god tier.

Funny that he talks about locking out Jagr as his 5th overall pick since he can't select more than one player drafted by a team. I was also thinking about how the Caps' pick is Stevens at 5th overall, would you rather have Ovechkin/Jagr or Lemieux/Stevens? Tough call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1321110242558644224