Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I just realized there needs to be a survival or possibly craft charm that lets you do this

as soon as you defeat a monster. Just immediately turn it into all the useful poo poo without having to bother a butcher, tanner, taxidermist, etc. (my dragonblood character still rolls with a bunch of whalers, etc. to process down fearsome beasts into trophies and so forth but Popeye is so stylish there)

E: Abyssal???

seems like a reasonable charm to stack on top of shattering grasp or related charms in other splats. if you want to break a living thing down for parts you'd want to pair it with whatever magic or skill it takes to deliver a killing blow, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm one tough punch-wizard
which hates el'mental lizards,
what ain't on on the up and square
i shocks em and smotes em
and always out-motes them
but none of 'em gets nowhere

i'm pop-eye the solar man

Thank you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume the brisket is kosher because Popeye is also the Hechsher Man. (toot toot)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Here's a question for scholars of the system: if you just deleted the Terrestrial keyword and all of its riders, which Martial Arts charms are actually noticeably stronger than similar-prereq Dragon-Blooded charms?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Just going through Snake style and comparing it to Brawl, Melee and Dodge, all the ones with Terrestrial are stronger than native DB charms at base if you take away the Terrestrial bit, they either do an effect that DBs have to pay more to get a lesser version, the DBs don't have anything comparable or it's a signature charm. Like even the "ignore armoured soak" doesn't have anything, the best DBs get is to increase their overwhelming which can just not do anything. The only direct soak ignorer is in Archery and it's up to 5 instead of all armoured soak.

DBs do get a reflexive clash that doesn't count as their action for the turn, which is comparable to the Snake one, both don't get you any initiative, but the DB one does give allies within range a +1 initiative for every 10 on your damage roll. The Snake one allows Gambits instead of regular decisive attacks and you can use it at range with the range increasing charm, while the DB one is withering only.

The short version is: even in just one tree, every charm with the Terrestrial keyword is stronger than anything DBs get natively from Brawl, Melee and Dodge, excepting Signature charms which are a higher pre-requisite and a lot more limited in availability.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Well, here's a list of all the Terrestrial-keyworded charms from the core book's first style, Snake:

Armor-Penetrating Fang Strike - Ignores all soak or 3+ hardness, terrestrial can only use it 1/scene with a reset condition. A comparable charm is Death From Nowhere, which costs 1m 1wp less to ignore (Essence or Perception) soak. Given that a lot of exalt-level enemies will have low to mid teens in soak, this is a big difference. There are a few other ignore soak DB charms, but they all have pretty strict caps on how much can be ignored, being very hard to go over 7 at the absolute most.

Crippling Pressure-Point Strike - Has a variety of poison-like gambits. Terrestrials can only use it after dodging a decisive attack and can't use the strongest one. I didn't see any terrestrial charms that inflict a penalty remotely close, so this one seems like a stronger than DB level charm

Uncoiling Serpent Prana - Lets you attack out to short range against enemies with lower initiative, possibly grappling them and pulling them in. Terrestrial can't use a bonus option to extend it to medium. This one is probably fine

Snake Strikes the Heel - Reflexive clash, terrestrials have it count as their action doesn't steal init or deal damage though. Comparable is Dragonfly Finds Mate, which also doesn't deal damage but can give init, but only against ranged attacks. This one also seems like it would be fine without Terrestrial

Countless Coils Evasion - Roll Essence+Initiative to reduce the final damage of a decisive, then reset to base (+2 if they reduce the damage to 0). Terrestrials reduce damage dice instead of raw and can only do it 1/scene. This is a tricky one, but Terrestrials get a slightly cheaper charm at the same essence level that reduces decisive damage by half stamina dice, but also doesn't reset to 0. Hard to say, I think it would be fine without Terrestrial since resetting to base init is really bad, but I don't fault the design for choosing otherwise.

Essence Venom Strike - Poisons the target for (raw damage/2) round. Terrestrials are capped at 5. Meh? I've rarely had a combat go on longer than 5 rounds, especially after a decisive attack with at least 12 dice. This just feels unnecessary, but also doesn't matter

Overall, it's a mixed bag but nothing egregious.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think the main thing removing Terrestrial does is make taking martial arts the only choice for a combat focused DB character.

Kaza42 posted:

Essence Venom Strike - Poisons the target for (raw damage/2) round. Terrestrials are capped at 5. Meh? I've rarely had a combat go on longer than 5 rounds, especially after a decisive attack with at least 12 dice. This just feels unnecessary, but also doesn't matter

It's a bigger deal than it appears because every success on the Resistance roll reduces the duration so being capped at 5 is the difference between a tough guy being able to reduce it to nothing with just a stunt vs them having to spend resources on it and giving a big guy a -2 penalty even for just a single round is huge as the Elemental Warrior Teamwork splat.

Tangentially related; it sucks that "armoured soak" and "natural soak" and "soaked only by stamina" are terms used when npcs deliberately don't differentiate between any of those things so you have to just pull something out of your butt when someone uses one of those things?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
According to Vance:

quote:

Martial Arts tend to fall roughly on par with the neutral effects of Evocations, or on the lower end of Lunar Charms. Terrestrial primarily limits things that don't show up in the Dragon-Blooded Charmset, or only shows up as an Aura effect, like reflexive clashes that don't count as your action; Mastery tends to punch things up to Solar-ish level.

Meanwhile, speaking of martial arts, my long-threatened series of martial arts books for the Vault, These Pages Are Knives, has at last become reality! The first up is going to be Peacock Style, a combat art based on vanity, distraction, and ground control. I really got to have some fun with these, and hydrargyrium once again knocked the cover out of the park.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

According to Vance:

I think this really wants to be paired with an abstract or manifesto or something about the design principles behind charm power level and how to peg the power level of a charm. I hope something like this is in the Exigents book.

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, speaking of martial arts, my long-threatened series of martial arts books for the Vault, These Pages Are Knives, has at last become reality! The first up is going to be Peacock Style, a combat art based on vanity, distraction, and ground control. I really got to have some fun with these, and hydrargyrium once again knocked the cover out of the park.

I like this! I'm always looking for colored pins to stick in mechanics like how you use the highest Onslaught on the field as a measure of how 'messy' the fight is, and I love having battlefield control/support options that let other people set up the big damage numbers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like this! I'm always looking for colored pins to stick in mechanics like how you use the highest Onslaught on the field as a measure of how 'messy' the fight is, and I love having battlefield control/support options that let other people set up the big damage numbers.

Thanks! (Reviews are always appreciated.)

The next one is going to be Hedgehog Style, which is about making sure that anybody who pricks you bleeds.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And here's Hedgehog Style.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Grabbed Hedgehog Style. Like it a lot, and if it were a bit earlier in my Essence 5 Solar's career she'd probably be using it, but we're now past like 650 BP so defend other sadly has no meaning anymore. Love that you worked a Hedgehog Dilemma's charm in there; also really like how powerful it is for terrestrials, given only the one mastery rider and one terrestrial rider, but that it also has fairly niche application once e.g. higher-circle sorcerers start throwing around nukes and "actual stabbing each other" combat becomes less of the rule. Will likely find a use for it in future games!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Crion posted:

Grabbed Hedgehog Style. Like it a lot, and if it were a bit earlier in my Essence 5 Solar's career she'd probably be using it, but we're now past like 650 BP so defend other sadly has no meaning anymore. Love that you worked a Hedgehog Dilemma's charm in there; also really like how powerful it is for terrestrials, given only the one mastery rider and one terrestrial rider, but that it also has fairly niche application once e.g. higher-circle sorcerers start throwing around nukes and "actual stabbing each other" combat becomes less of the rule. Will likely find a use for it in future games!

Glad to hear you liked it! (PS, copying and pasting that paragraph into a review on DTRPG will be very easy and make a notable difference in my sales.)

I look forward to Mouse Style, where I was able to achieve a much more impressive reference density (there are a lot of mice you can reference and I really doubt anybody is going to catch all of them), but the next style is going to be Night's Canopy, which is about 90% matador and 10% Tuxedo Mask.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

One thing I shy away from doing often is big circle-on-circle fights - the overhead in prep and tracking, and the amount of additional back-and-forth that comes from multiplying the number of decisions really extends the time it takes to resolve.

I'm working on an NPC kinship for my current DBs game that I want to have highly synergistic combat styles, but again the logistics are daunting. Anyone have any advice? Interesting or non-obvious fighting styles that play well together, or tips on how to organize and manage workflow for fights with lots of charm users?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'd also appreciate advice and tips for that, anything that helps running big fights easier now we're essence 4 is gonna be appreciated!

We recently had a big DBs vs PC fight and unfortunately there is a certain amount of unavoidable overhead because that's the game. I'd definitely avoid doing full player character level builds for every single NPC, but I would recommend making a character with whatever particular charm set is the deal if you're unfamiliar with it and seeing what sort of effects they get access to and then condensing that charm set down to 2-3 charms for NPCs to have, even if that means mashing some of them together. For example, Solar Brawl has onslaught tricks and the ability to ignore soak as the basic moves, but not much in the way of defence so you could condense them down to Onslaught stays, adds Onslaught as Damage and Ignores X Soak (predetermined instead of intimacy+essence, just go "its 5" or whatever) as a single charm which you don't have to make a decision about because it's going to get used on every attack which reduces mental load. You can even make some effects free and always on and others more expensive.

My GM says to write down beforehand the basic strategy and plan the NPCs will have so you don't have to think about that stuff when you're playing. Stuff like "use this charm until 10 initiative, then use this charm for a decisive" and "use this charm for defence, unless X, then use this charm" for DBs in particular he suggests removing anima costs from charms, too much overhead for multiple NPCs and you should just make the charms that need that more expensive mote-wise or something.

Also to think about how do they deal with common strategies like big soak, high evasion, getting sniped, ganged up on etc. For example if they don't have a thing that boosts withering attacks, is that an intentional hole in their game or did you just forget to put that in? Do they need a thing to negate Onslaught penalties? If they do then only for a single tick so you gang up on them to drain their motes, or a more expensive thing for a whole turn so 1v1ing them will make them less efficient?

I don't know much about cool synergies, but Rand Brittain's Wild Rose Brides from his DB NPC book have moves that specifically trigger off of each other so that could be a thing to look at for inspiration. Do not ask me about getting dunked on by a 40 initiative berserk DB not even bringing me below of my -2hls twice, I will not reveal the secret (the secret is Solar charms are strong).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The big piece of advice is not to make any enemy more complicated than you have to. Any stat you're not actually going to roll, any pool that's not going to be in serious danger of hitting zero? Just ignore them.

Thanks for the plug for the Wild Rose Brides, I had fun doing them. I think if you want to make mechanics and have fun, your best bet is going to be to come up with a story behind the rules like "here are two flower-themed brides who fight together" and you'll be able to enjoy the process of creating those numbers a lot more because you'll have something to guide you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And to top it all off, today I've released Night's Canopy Style, a martial art for anybody who's ever wanted to be a dinosaur matador, or Tuxedo Mask.

…I no longer know which of these ideas has broader consumer appeal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have gone ahead and tossed up Mouse Style and Salamander Style up there. This concludes the stash of martial arts that I had already written, so that I must now go and recharge my batteries before I figure out how Mountain Goat Style works.

I do, however, challenge anybody who dares to attempt to catch all the mouse-based references I included in Mouse Style.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Please let Mountain Goat Style include at least one headbutt-based Charm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

Please let Mountain Goat Style include at least one headbutt-based Charm.

I mean, I'm not a monster!

Although apparently I now have to start listening to the Mountain Goats so I can start referencing those.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mouse Style better have at least one charm where you declare "Here I come, to save the day."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Rand Brittain posted:

Although apparently I now have to start listening to the Mountain Goats so I can start referencing those.

They did do an entire album themed around professional wrestling.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, the best moneymaker I could spend time on is probably a revised Solar Charmset, but that very likely leads into the old problem of “anybody who would actually do this would have difficulty pleasing everybody.”

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You could do a revised solar Craft tree.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How soon is Exalted Essence going to come out? Revising the whole Solar Charmset is a lot of work for something that might be superseded anyways.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Having multiple contrasting coherent models of the charmset makes homebrewing a lot easier even if none of them's perfect

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I would encourage everyone who plays Exalted to watch the wuxia film Shadow, directed by Zhang Yimou. Not only is it a beautiful movie in its own right, but it features a lot of Dreaming Courtesan Style, the overlap of foreign policy and being furiously horny in your personal life, and people occasionally dropping elaborate martial arts to just fuckin' wail on each other in desperation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I took a long weekend in order to get away from checking the news every five minutes, and as a result I wound up finally finishing Rat Fist Style, a martial art about boxing, which is definitely a real thing that rats do.

I also realized that Mountain Goat Style isn't about directly hitting people with your head, because that would be... kind of dumb, especially for a school practiced by regular mortal folks who don't actually have the Head of John. Instead, it's about getting and keeping the higher-ground advantage, and its primary weapon is the sling.

Among other things, this makes it much easier to write Charms for.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And having realized this, I was able to finish Mountain Goat Style.

Next up is Turtle Style, which may involve me having to watch the new cartoon.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

And having realized this, I was able to finish Mountain Goat Style.

Next up is Turtle Style, which may involve me having to watch the new cartoon.

Now I'm imagining a style with two separate, contradictory branches: one is about being a ninja, and the other specializes in flashy power-ups and energy beam attacks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Turtle Style is obviously about not taking any combat actions for at least five rounds and ragequitting the fight if someone attacks you early.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

A Lunar in pestletail shape with the right latent unlocked can build initiative from people hitting them and doing no damage. I may in fact be planning to use this in the Cult of the Illuminated game recruiting right now.
So there is (sort of) an existing functional turtle fighting style.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last chance to submit/request an Exalted gang tag!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
poo poo, I don't suppose anyone has that old gif of Crimson Banner Executioner "dancing", do they?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

LeSquide posted:

poo poo, I don't suppose anyone has that old gif of Crimson Banner Executioner "dancing", do they?

This one? https://imgur.com/Jxo6kVH

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Hmmm... Probably would be a pain to shrink down to gang tag size and still look good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Instead of writing Turtle Style, I got distracted by reading light novels and wrote Harvest Moon Style.

Anyway, all my stuff except the three newest books is still on sale for two more days, so if you've been considering picking up some bestiaries or martial arts or Charm books, now's a great time!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Posting this so I can easily search my post history to see if I left a list of hacks here. My folder with all my Exatled hacks got lost somehow. I am trying to rebuild my collection.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At last, I completed Turtle Style, largely as a result of the inspiration provided by playing a lot of Age of Calamity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This thread... it has remained sealed in a First Age tomb since time immemorial... but I will open it! And shout down at the hungry ghosts, "Hey there's something really weird about Naval Combat."

My specific issue is, given how the Positioning action works to produce Momentum, by rolling against the other ship's rolls, how can a disadvantaged ship take any actions but Positioning?

If I have a smaller Wits+Sail+Maneuverability pool than the enemy captain, I will very reliably lose every roll off. This means I will never accrue any momentum at all, and there's never a round where they're not rolling a larger dice pool then I am (generally speaking). This means the only action I can take is Positioning, which does nothing for me, because everything else costs Momentum. The enemy ship can, with complete impunity, build up Momentum to repeatedly Broadside my ship until we sink, or else get the best possible Boarding Action.

This is a much harsher death spiral than anything else in the game, as far as I can tell. No other combat system allows you to completely shut down your opponent's actions.

I'm working on a replacement Sail module for more complicated ships, because I like ships and their operations, but I was wondering how the Sail system as-written is supposed to allow for anything but one-sided beatdowns. Or, if the two captains are nearly evenly matched, how long the naval combat is supposed to take - it will take something like 3-4 rounds for either ship to build up the Momentum to use a costly effect.

What gives? Am I just theorycrafting wrong, or is this subsystem as janky as it looks?