Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Gripweed posted:

I don't think this is true. I think the general narrative will be that Republicans are bad for seating Barrett so close to the election, not that Democrats are bad for not packing the court

When 10s of millions of people lose their health care, and there no more protections for pre-existing conditions (and we have almost 8 million Americans who developed a pre-existing condition this year), and a bunch of kids under 26 get dropped from their parent’s plans, people will want the Democrats to do whatever it takes to fix that.

You can’t go back to the drawing board and write a new healthcare law when there is a 6-3 court waiting to strike it down the second you pass it. You pack the courts or you admit you aren’t going to do anything on healthcare - which not even Diane Feinstein would opt for on the back of a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Craptacular! posted:

People keep coming up with this number. It seems they should add two seats, one for Garland’s stolen seat and one for this injustice.

People will point out that an 11 seat court still puts the left in the minority, but we’re not shooting to kill here. We do still need to respect that the country has elected conservative shitheads quite a few times over the past 25 years, or else we’re looking at 100 justices by 2075 and a completely ungovernable nation because the GOP’s accelerationists enjoy driving off a cliff if they can take at least one innocent party along for the ride.

That doesn't make any sense. We need to do something completely meaningless because doing something that would actually have a positive effect could... cause the Republicans to ignore political norms in order to advance their political goals?

ok seriously why is this ten minute timer still on, it is so dumb.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My view, from Canada, is that y'all are hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Craptacular! posted:

People keep coming up with this number. It seems they should add two seats, one for Garland’s stolen seat and one for this injustice.

People will point out that an 11 seat court still puts the left in the minority, but we’re not shooting to kill here. We do still need to respect that the country has elected conservative shitheads quite a few times over the past 25 years, or else we’re looking at 100 justices by 2075 and a completely ungovernable nation because the GOP’s accelerationists enjoy driving off a cliff if they can take at least one innocent party along for the ride.

If the Democrats don't shoot to kill here they're dead and the country is hosed. Assuming Biden wins and the Senate flips they better put on a masterclass in shoving poo poo through and daring Scotus to get in the way. This is the last window of opportunity. You'd be crazy to think otherwise.

Kill the decorum lover in your brain, this is about power not affectation of statesmanship. You want this country to survive you better hope they go for the throat.

Gripweed posted:

That doesn't make any sense. We need to do something completely meaningless because doing something that would actually have a positive effect could... cause the Republicans to ignore political norms in order to advance their political goals?

This has been the Democratic ethos for the last 3 decades and change, you can't be too mad at people for still running at that particular football.

Deteriorata posted:

They did use every arrow in their quiver. They just didn't have any. There was literally nothing the Democrats could do to stop ACB.

Not really but trained helplessness is hard to shake.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 27, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember for the like 3 days after RBG died you had things like this?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1307790903558406150?s=20

It's pretty clear that the Dems decided not to bother and just fundraise off of RBG's death/people afraid of Roe v. Wade being overturned

They did use every arrow in their quiver. They just didn't have any. There was literally nothing the Democrats could do to stop ACB.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

On the other hand, if its a clean sweep - you better believe that court is going up to 13 judges before the midterms.

lol they won't do poo poo and everyone baying that they "must" will instantly fall in line and defend them

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

TyrantWD posted:

You can’t go back to the drawing board and write a new healthcare law when there is a 6-3 court waiting to strike it down the second you pass it.

Not for nothing, but yes you can. I will bet any amount of money that "the public option" will be structured exactly like the Medicaid expansion - give a big pot of no-strings-attached money to the states with the strong suggestion to administer a health plan through the state.

Nothing to strike down there.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

My view, from Canada, is that y'all are hosed.

Please invade us again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty clear that the Dems decided not to bother and just fundraise off of RBG's death/people afraid of Roe v. Wade being overturned

The problem was that they didn’t have anything in their quiver. It was a foregone conclusion the moment Ginsberg died.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Craptacular! posted:

"not shooting to kill here"? lmao. what line must be crossed before you're fine with Democrats wielding power the same way Republicans do?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There's a thought that'll fester. :stare:

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Is the idea that the US isn't a democracy (or at least posing as one) widespread? Because according to the dozens of replies I got on twitter, "the US is a republic, not a democracy!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

What could the House have done?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/judiciarygop/status/1320878683423428609?s=21

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Craptacular! posted:

Most of the riverbeds in the country will be dried up by 2075 and the GOP wants it to happen faster. This is dumb as gently caress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe not stop, but they could've delayed it. They could've forced floor votes on little piddly procedural things, the House could've impeached Barr and sent it to the Senate where it would've taken precedence over all other issues.

If they really cared, there were things they could've done that might've been able to push the confirmation after the election.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

This will surely derail Clinton's campaign

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think the only question left is at what time on election day the Republicans will declare victory. Will they have the nerve to wait until midnight before beginning their theft?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don'tsee honestly how the supreme court could strike down a public option.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FlamingLiberal posted:

Decided not to bother doing what? Are you imagining that the GOP was going to defect even if this was monumentally unpopular or something? That they would bow to decorum? Short of literally murdering senators there was no actual way of stopping this.

Gripweed posted:

Maybe not stop, but they could've delayed it. They could've forced floor votes on little piddly procedural things, the House could've impeached Barr and sent it to the Senate where it would've taken precedence over all other issues.

If they really cared, there were things they could've done that might've been able to push the confirmation after the election.

McConnell would have just ignored all of this. He's ignoring a stimulus deal that could theoretically save his majority. They are all-in on this.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 27, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The trick is that they can do whatever they want and make up reasons for it after.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Scherloch posted:

Is the idea that the US isn't a democracy (or at least posing as one) widespread? Because according to the dozens of replies I got on twitter, "the US is a republic, not a democracy!"
This is real :smug: poo poo that conservatives love to trot out, like a republic isn't a type of democracy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

haveblue posted:

13 is popular because it matches the number of circuits, which is something SCOTUS is supposed to have a working relationship with.
Someone else mentioned this district court thing as well, which I didn’t know about and I can get behind.

quote:

Also, court packing is only possible when you hold all 3 branches, so it’s not going to yo-yo back and forth. Especially if through court packing the dems can get election reform to stick.
I thought you only needed the WH and the Senate? Anyhow, I’d like the believe this, but it’s happened three times already in the lifetime of this forum.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kill the decorum lover in your brain, this is about power not affectation of statesmanship. You want this country to survive you better hope they go for the throat.
It’s not about decorum as much as it is not wanting chaos to be the norm. That’s what happens if both parties decide that power should be had by any means necessary.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1320026039851114502

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Scherloch posted:

This is either

1: A dumb politics 101 take, because everyone who says the US is a democracy understands that we're a democratic republic because we elect our representatives, or

2: A threat by a increasingly agitated minority who wants to rule through anti-democratic means, a tactic used by at least one side of our country since its inception.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hollismason posted:

They don't have to strike down the whole thing. Their tactic is to rule that citizens cannot be forced to pay for it, thus dooming it forever.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember the part where Republicans own all branches of power.

Well it turns out that’s still really bad.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not for nothing, but yes you can. I will bet any amount of money that "the public option" will be structured exactly like the Medicaid expansion - give a big pot of no-strings-attached money to the states with the strong suggestion to administer a health plan through the state.

Nothing to strike down there.

There won’t be an ACA to work from, and a 6-3 court is going to strike down the most innocuous poo poo, let alone allow a public option to stand. Even decorum shits like Coons is open to packing the court, and you really think Democrats would spend their only 2 years in power shrugging their shoulders and doing nothing? This is not 2008, or 2010, or 2012. Half of the GOP think the Democrats are torturing children and drinking their blood.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

Decided not to bother doing what? Are you imagining that the GOP was going to defect even if this was monumentally unpopular or something? That they would bow to decorum? Short of literally murdering senators there was no actual way of stopping this.

Well you see it's Nancy Pelosi's fault for not thinking to orchestrate a military coup-d'etat to prevent all this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scherloch posted:

It’s just a thought-terminating cliche that people internalize from school without understanding—the equivalent of shouting “the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!”

I mean, I know why so many people were made to internalize that specific phrase, but if someone uses it, there’s a fair chance they have no idea what it means.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Taking this opportunity to donate $25 to Jaime Harrison for the fourth time.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Clarste posted:

The implication of the comic is that the grown-up was actually Sanders but this fool voted for Biden in the primary.

Well, the artist almost certainly wouldn't frame it like that, but this was written as an indictment of liberals, not leftists. As seen by the names they listed.

The actual meaning of the comic is not strictly about the politics discussed. It's more about politics as escapism in general. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.noncanon.com/comic/grown-up-faith

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 27, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xombie posted:

Angry_Ed posted:

Well you see it's Nancy Pelosi's fault for not thinking to orchestrate a military coup-d'etat to prevent all this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Scherloch posted:

On The Media did a bit about “republic not a democracy” a few weeks ago. It unsurprisingly was invented by people who didn’t mind sitting as Hitler takes over Europe and then popularized by Southerners opposed to civil rights.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Graham sounds like he's about to cry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

It’s not about decorum as much as it is not wanting chaos to be the norm. That’s what happens if both parties decide that power should be had by any means necessary.

Except that it only takes one party. Chaos is the norm now. It has been for years now.

This is a serious problem we have to face but it's also the truth. The Republicans have shown, clearly, that they feel no need to play by any rules at all and it has been proven to work perfectly. You can't go back to normal after the past 4 years. It isn't even that the Republicans have necessarily been Worse Than Usual (more blatant but not worse) but that they've realized that they hold near unlimited power as long as they can hold the Senate.

Gripweed posted:

The Senate already rushed her vote. There is no reason to assume they wouldn't have done the same if Barr was impeached. What are they going to do, get in trouble for breaking the rules?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 27, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's been pretty clear from the beginning of this, that at most, the democrats could only do procedural delays to slow the confirmation but not stop it entirely unless four republican senators suddenly dropped dead or actually believed in the whole "can't confirm a justice in an election year!" bullshit.

But I mean if there are other things the Dems could have realistically done, we'd all be glad to hear about it from you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gripweed posted:

the only thing you have actually suggested here is a pointless impeachment that would be immediately voted down

if you feel so strongly that there are so many things that could have been done such that not doing them means democrats must just not care, try writing them down first and then spend all of thirty seconds asking what Mitch could do to block them, then stare forlornly at your page of nothing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There was nothing the democrats could have done to stop the confirmation but boy howdy would it have been nice if they had tried literally anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Gripweed posted:

Such as?