Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13.7, most recent Awful.app

echi got dinged and I wanted to see the probe reason - tap user pic, select 'rap sheet' = app crash. Tested three times, same behaviour

From this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903757&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=693#post509214341

Edit: huh, tried my own rap sheet link, worked fine, tried the above again, worked fine. Chalk it up to 'one of those things'.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13.7

echi got dinged and I wanted to see the probe reason - tap user pic, select 'rap sheet' = app crash. Tested three times, same behaviour

From this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903757&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=693#post509214341

Edit: huh, tried my own rap sheet link, worked fine, tried the above again, worked fine. Chalk it up to 'one of those things'.

Can confirm that that same rap sheet crashed the app for me twice, then worked fine after I looked at yours first.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I clicked it and it didn't crash and then I realized I'm on my phone not my iPad and am therefore using the awful android app.

So that doesn't seem to crash it, on the off chance it's useful information.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

you're welcome for like 4 lines of css

unfortunately that means it'll be a decent bit of work to support all these different custom icons people have

I've been thinking we need more than CSS pseudoclasses there for awhile.

ZeeBoi posted:

The app has been acting up for me as of late. If I switch back to Awful from another app (like my browser) after having tapped on a link to something it will reload the page I’m on, mark everything read, and lose my position. The page will be very glitchy until I switch pages or go to another thread.

Experiencing this mainly on iPad.

(I think I look at too many threads with Twitter embeds and after a while it’ll happen. I can’t replicate it right now.)

Just to clarify, you're doing something like:
1. Read some thread in Awful.
2. Tap a link in some post in that thread.
3. Link opens in some other app.
4. Switch back to Awful.
?

The reload sounds like Awful got terminated. Which is fine, we should be able to get you back to where you were, so I"m thinking something in that process got borked.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I tried to post an image from my phone but a message popped up about an error with the imgur API

Do you remember the error?

quote:

Also, how do I close a thread on the app?

At the moment, you cannot. But it's on my list!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Adding an image directly to a post from camera roll makes it impossible to see text when you start typing on my 6s+.
I have to slam the return button to see anything as the text field no longer scrolls down after the image is pasted

And now this is on my list too.

Hed posted:

Is there a foolproof way to copy animated images out of the app and have them drop into iMessage?
I feel like sometimes they resize sometimes I do selection mojo and copy paste works, sometimes I only get the first frame, etc.

I may be running into size limitations or something breaks when it makes the plist in iMessage. I just want to send funny (sometimes animated) images to people who aren’t goons!

I'm guessing there's some fuckery involved, and I'm not sure how much control Awful has over it, but I can certainly take a look.

Ineptitude posted:

In the smiley list/menu in the app almost every smiley is shown twice, like 70% of the smileys. Is there a reason for this?
It makes the already very long list of smileys a lot longer than it needs to be and makes it hard to find the appropriate smileys.

The short answer is I did a bad job :) I'll +1 it on the list!

`Nemesis posted:

Is there a way to tell what the stars mean? Maybe if you open someone’s profile in the app, it just says “Admin” or “idiot king” somewhere?

That's a great idea!

Referee posted:

I’m noticing I’m frequently losing the top “previous posts” bar when entering a thread from my bookmarks page that isn’t a full page of posts (midway through a page). Hopefully that description makes sense.

iPhone X, iOS 14.0.1, latest store-released app version

Makes sense, I managed to do something weird when redoing that bar last time around. It should show up if you scroll up or down a bit, possibly letting the scrolling come to stop beforehand, but yeah it's janky and that shouldn't be happening.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Not an issue, but I just wanna say I really appreciate the app in general and that it's still so actively supported. I was thinking about my experiences trying to browse the forums on my first smartphone, the Nokia N78, and how much of a joke that was compared to using the Awful app now.

Thanks! I'm glad it feels actively supported because I feel like I'm completely neglecting it :) just glad there's other people involved too so progress isn't completely stalled.

LuckyCat posted:

I’d love a way to create my own names/nicknames for sub forums. There are some really stupid names like “DOTA” for Games and whatnot. I can just memorize what dumb as hell name goes with which sub forum but maybe this can be a feature if it isn’t a lot of work.

This is a funny one. Part of me immediately thinks "yep, absolutely, I get it, not hard to do, boom done". But another part of me thinks "this is a small, annoying, but ultimately common experience of being on these forums, and the app shouldn't unnecessarily take that away". That said, it's not on the same level as something like autoban thread tags (though we should probably supply a warning like the website does). So I'ma ponder it, but as a general principle I try not to unnecessarily take away from the Forums experience, because I really don't know what all goes into making this place the way it is.

Brain Curry posted:

I don’t know if this is the app, SA, iOS, or YouTube but the previews in portrait aren’t showing the whole video, while in landscape they do.

Almost certainly the app, though YouTube may have some minimum size it's stubborn about. Worth a look though.

ulmont posted:

Negative unread counts are interesting. iOS 14, whatever latest public release is.

Really curious what's going on here, it seems pretty rare but it clearly does happen! I'll +1 it on the list.

carry on then posted:

Pushed a commit for this. I'm also looking to including the role in the user profile somewhere. Pokeyman, if I add fields to an AwfulManagedObject is there any migration code I need to write for everything that's already in the DataStore or will that just work?

You'll need to add the field to Awful.xcdatamodeld. The technically correct approach is to first create a new model version (Editor menu -> Add Model Version…), name it whatever (I've been naming them based on the app version where they first appear), set this new version as the current one in the File inspector (right sidebar, first tab). Then make the changes you wanna make. If you're just adding an attribute (and it's nullable or has a default value), then migration will be automatic.

Trevor Hale posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but sharing an image from the awful app to slack (and maybe elsewhere) doesn’t allow for a user to come back to the app. The share option menu freeze above the app and can’t be dismissed

It's on my list! I'll +1 it there too.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Welp, I'll check it out!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just tried this a couple times and it Works On My Machine. I'll check crash logs, but if it happens again please holler!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had a crash when clicking someone's rap sheet before too. I never tried to reproduce. I'll make note next time it happens.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Something else I noticed -- the goldmine is out of order for me. Is the app still reading the status of some threads as a sticky and putting them at the top?

Edit : I should post a screenshot :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 24, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Charles posted:

Something else I noticed -- the goldmine is out of order for me. Is the app still reading the status of some threads as a sticky and putting them at the top?

hope your battery made it :ohdear:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

carry on then posted:

hope your battery made it :ohdear:

It's like the gas light on the car. When it's 5% it'll keep going a while :v:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Charles posted:

It's like the gas light on the car. When it's 5% it'll keep going a while :v:

Okay but the fuel gauge is actually lying to you to keep you safe from holy poo poo the fuel pump burnt out I have to have the entire tank removed from my car to fix that part that shouldn't be dependent on gas as a coolant but it was.

You should have about 4 gallons on E enough to get you 100 miles in the direction of a gas station.

But now I'm worried you could do this with an overpriced phone somehow.

I feel gas lit

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Doesn’t the battery % lie to you a little as well?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Dave posted:

Doesn’t the battery % lie to you a little as well?

Yeah there's a little more headroom when it says 100% and a little more charge when it says 0% but that's because going all the way in either direction can actually hurt battery capacity.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m not sure if this is an app issue or just something changed with Twitter, but I’ve noticed the last few days that trying to switch the orientation of Twitter videos that are playing pops me back to the thread and stops the video. IIRC in the past, rotating my phone horizontally would change the video as well, rather than stopping it completely. It’s not a big issue at all, just wanted to note it. Most recent version of the app, iOS 14.1, iPhone 8.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like every time I post itt it’s to complain or post about bugs so I just wanted to take a moment to say how grateful I am for this app and for all the hard work put into it. I exclusively interact with the forums through this app, so thank you!

Bug reports:

First- when I put my phone down for a bit and come back to it, the title at the top of the thread has disappeared.

Second- here is what thread tag filtering looks like for me:

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

Any thoughts/ideas about adding push notifications?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

AeroZ posted:

Pretty sure SA would need some sort of API for that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AeroZ posted:

Most of the work would have to happen on the server side for generating them. The work to support them in the client would be relatively small. It's probably not a ton of work on the server side either for things that are already acted on in real time (like private messages), but more for "you were quoted" or such.

ninja: I don't think it needs an API really, except a way to configure what gets notified about, but that could just be part of the website's settings page and get pretty far

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That seems prime for abuse for comedy reasons. Which should be enough reason to implement it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Monkey claw closes and we exclusively get admin announcement push notifications.

Speaking of, I wonder if Jeffrey would be more willing to work with the app developers. I still laugh when I think about lowtax bodging together a pointless web version of the site that nobody ever used.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, it sure seems like that astral guy is doing a buttload of work lately. Like actual useful features.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jeffrey hinted at wanting to work closer with the app developers, and there is already of course astral, but he also did mention that he wanted to get the mobile site to be less hot garbage because he doesn't want to effectively force people to use the apps.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What are the features that astral has implemented as of late?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbird posted:

What are the features that astral has implemented as of late?

You can track the forum system changes at https://forums.somethingawful.com/CHANGES

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh neat, thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There are 3 new bookmark star colors, accessible through the 'experimental features' option. I'm hearing that this breaks things in the iOS app: bookmarks with the new colors do not show up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LuckyCat posted:

I feel like every time I post itt it’s to complain or post about bugs so I just wanted to take a moment to say how grateful I am for this app and for all the hard work put into it. I exclusively interact with the forums through this app, so thank you!

Bug reports:

First- when I put my phone down for a bit and come back to it, the title at the top of the thread has disappeared.

I added alt text to these at some point and that's probably what's doing this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How DARE you increase accessibility standards without thinking about the truly marginalized group, iOS users.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think it’s unrelated. It’s been like that for a while. I think it’s supposed to show the tag name for ones that don’t have a custom square icon yet, but it’s got some boolean check inverted so it’s showing it for the wrong ones.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks for all the cool work on Awful.app!

I just upgraded my phone, and I noticed a small bug. On restoring my backup to my new phone, I kept my account details, but not my theme settings. So, I was reverted to classic dark/light instead of the OLED versions.

Small potatoes, just wanted to report it!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Dave posted:

How DARE you increase accessibility standards without thinking about the truly marginalized group, iOS users.
Blind guy: ahh yes, LF-2wqxulw

It's a start though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
app slows down really bad when theres too many twitter embeds. iphone x

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Charles posted:

Sticky's a good guess! Will add it to the list.

fartknocker posted:

I’m not sure if this is an app issue or just something changed with Twitter, but I’ve noticed the last few days that trying to switch the orientation of Twitter videos that are playing pops me back to the thread and stops the video. IIRC in the past, rotating my phone horizontally would change the video as well, rather than stopping it completely. It’s not a big issue at all, just wanted to note it. Most recent version of the app, iOS 14.1, iPhone 8.

Appreciate it! I'm 50/50 on this being treatable in Awful, but always worth a look.

LuckyCat posted:

Bug reports:

I'll +1 the first one on the list, I've seen that pop up a few times. The second one is new to me and is pretty funny, it's exactly backwards on which tags should show the tag name :) so on the list it goes.

AeroZ posted:

I've thought about fake push notifications for private messages, I think it's on my list somewhere. Other than that, haven't thought about it much. I'm certainly not opposed to the idea.

Real push notifications are a server sending a notification to relevant devices when something happens. Best case, this would be the Forums doing it directly (e.g. new post comes in -> server queues up push notifications for everyone watching the thread). If we can assume that's a thing that exists, it would take very little effort to implement the rest in Awful.

We could do real push notifications ourselves by running our own server that polls the Forums for relevant updates. That gets tricky in a hurry, as we'd want to impersonate each user, and then we'd be driving a bunch of pointless traffic to the Forums, and basically it's way more work than I'm interested in. (As you can tell from my frequent 1-50 day breaks from this thread, I enjoy hands-off maintenance.)

Fake push notifications would be entirely on your phone/iPad. Apps can tell iOS that they'd like to wake up periodically to refresh themselves. Awful could do that, then check for e.g. private messages or changes to bookmarked threads and emit a local notification (looks identical to a push notification, it just wasn't pushed from a server) if it finds anything interesting. I haven't bothered with this yet as I'm not sure how useful it would be; iOS is in total control of when it wakes up apps for background refresh, and it considers variables like battery level, connectivity, what time of day you tend to use the app, etc. etc. Still, supporting background refresh is part of being a Good Platform Citizen, so it's on my list!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Monkey claw closes and we exclusively get admin announcement push notifications.

Speaking of, I wonder if Jeffrey would be more willing to work with the app developers. I still laugh when I think about lowtax bodging together a pointless web version of the site that nobody ever used.

Real answer to joke suggestion: announcements kinda make sense, except it's currently very difficult to tell when they appear or when they're edited, so it'd either be super spammy or oddly quiet.

I don't think you were phrasing it negatively, but for what it's worth, I haven't known any animosity between app devs and Forums admins/techs (except for that one person ages ago who charged $5 for an iOS app without asking). Mutual benign indifference has been my goal :) I'm sure the apps' devs could throw together a wishlist or something if some time/budget was to be allocated to app stuff. And I'm always happy to turn Awful.app over to Jeffrey if he wants it to be an official app (or to be scuttled for some reason).

astral posted:

There are 3 new bookmark star colors, accessible through the 'experimental features' option. I'm hearing that this breaks things in the iOS app: bookmarks with the new colors do not show up.

Will fix this up pronto!

Nuurd posted:

I just upgraded my phone, and I noticed a small bug. On restoring my backup to my new phone, I kept my account details, but not my theme settings. So, I was reverted to classic dark/light instead of the OLED versions.

That's unexpected. I'll add it to my list!

scary ghost dog posted:

app slows down really bad when theres too many twitter embeds. iphone x

I'm sure I can find one when I go to test it, but if you got a link handy to a particularly painful post or page of a thread, I'll take it!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am happy to see your wishlist, though uhh, no promises. :sweatdrop:

The only thing I'd really ask from you is if, whenever possible, you try to make the app do what the forums do, rather than encoding your own assumptions about what they will do. For the first time in a long time, I expect a lot of changes to the forums code and it'd be nice if the app trended towards being a thin wrapper around those, rather than making it's own assumptions. One easy example for me is the edit button - I know the android app shows you the option to edit a post if you are looking at your own post, but that's an assumption. It'd be better if the app showed you the edit post button if the forums show the edit post button. (Sorry to not have iOS examples.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The only thing I'd really ask from you is if, whenever possible, you try to make the app do what the forums do, rather than encoding your own assumptions about what they will do. For the first time in a long time, I expect a lot of changes to the forums code and it'd be nice if the app trended towards being a thin wrapper around those, rather than making it's own assumptions. One easy example for me is the edit button - I know the android app shows you the option to edit a post if you are looking at your own post, but that's an assumption. It'd be better if the app showed you the edit post button if the forums show the edit post button. (Sorry to not have iOS examples.)

Will do!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I am happy to see your wishlist, though uhh, no promises. :sweatdrop:

I'm just sad I never got to see either app become mod button compliant :negative:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nuurd posted:

Something just occurred to me. What model phone were you going from and to?

(We try to default to the OLED themes on devices with OLED screens, but I think we just hardcode a list of model identifiers, and I didn't update it for iPhones 12.)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hate to bring this up yet again but quoted .mp4's break horizontal scrolling on my (first) SE. :( I can fix it by pinch-zooming out the afflicted page but it's a bit of a hassle and not doing it kills edge-swiping left and right and it looks a bit rubbish to have the video frame bleed out of the quote box.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Something just occurred to me. What model phone were you going from and to?

(We try to default to the OLED themes on devices with OLED screens, but I think we just hardcode a list of model identifiers, and I didn't update it for iPhones 12.)

11 Pro to 12 Pro, so that could explain it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

I hate to bring this up yet again but quoted .mp4's break horizontal scrolling on my (first) SE. :( I can fix it by pinch-zooming out the afflicted page but it's a bit of a hassle and not doing it kills edge-swiping left and right and it looks a bit rubbish to have the video frame bleed out of the quote box.

I keep meaning to look at this, but need to take the time to get the right simulator configured, as my Xcode only has newer devices in the list. It shouldn’t be hard to fix, but I don’t want to swing blindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I keep meaning to look at this, but need to take the time to get the right simulator configured, as my Xcode only has newer devices in the list. It shouldn’t be hard to fix, but I don’t want to swing blindly.

Cool, thanks!