Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
realistically speaking i almost feel like it'd be a better idea to just ignore EC and pull from the remainder of horror comics. like, you could pretty easily pull from Junji Ito's stuff or 2000AD or Richard Corben's stuff, and a large majority of that poo poo has just never been adapted.

hell, reading through Ito's shorts some of them seem straight-up made to be adapted into something like Tales from the Crypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think an anthology version of Weird Science would be rad as hell, if given an actual budget to do the alien worlds and big sci-fi set pieces.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Such as? The entire point of The Wailing is that generations of imperialism and competing religious traditions have made it almost impossible to arrive at any kind of spiritual truth; the ambiguity is necessary to its theme.

To name one example, the movie constantly makes racist references to the evil Japanese shaman. They break into his home, and lo and behold there's actual damning evidence. But instead of arresting him or collecting the evidence, the police officer just murmurs to himself without sharing any of this. Rather than telling his police officer friend that this guy has a room full of artifacts collected from dead people (including a shoe belonging to his friend), he waits until they're far away from the crime scene. Why? So he can make a dramatic reveal. Rather than doing a 180 and hightailing it back to the man who has his daughter's shoes, (as you would expect from a rogue police officer who loves to ignore proper protocol- to the point of choosing to eat breakfast instead of reporting to a scene of a murder), he chooses to go home and ask his daughter first, conveniently giving him time to get rid of the evidence.

When it's not being too vague and subtle, the movie hits you over the head with symbolism so overt I am surprised the movie didn't feature flashbacks to spoonfeed the plot back to everyone. Opening with a bible quote, the biblical plague, the girl throwing stones, three crows- It's like the director just stitched together a bunch of creepy set pieces and sprinkled in biblical allegories just for the hell of it.

Nothing in the movie makes sense. The girl literally stabs someone to death, but instead of getting sent to a mental hospital for evaluation, she's just allowed to roam around as free as can be. The police officer finds a room full of evidence, but keeps to himself instead of arresting him. There's a literal zombie- that makes appearance and isn't addressed again.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, especially in the horror genre, but this was just too much. It had its moments, but it just wasn't for me. Characters make dumb decisions all the time, especially in horror genre, but this movie abuses the concept and relies on characters acting irrationally to push the plot forward. I find that lazy. The pastor is a classic example of this. Why would he approach the super aggressive dog? Just for a jump scare. Let's not forget that said dog manages to escape from his chains twice in the same movie.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just as a general note, if you watch something from one Asian country that has characters from another Asian country in it, expect those characters to be handled in a way that is at best Not Good. Korea, Japan and China all loving hate each other, and China also hates literally anyone from south or southeast Asia. In particular, expect Japanese characters to always be huge lying pieces of poo poo who exist solely to twirl their mustaches and be evil in anything from Korea or China.

(and yes, I'm very aware that Japan brought the wide bulk of it on themselves by trying to commit genocide in both China and Korea, before someone brings it up.)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Just as a general note, if you watch something from one Asian country that has characters from another Asian country in it, expect those characters to be handled in a way that is at best Not Good. Korea, Japan and China all loving hate each other, and China also hates literally anyone from south or southeast Asia. In particular, expect Japanese characters to always be huge lying pieces of poo poo who exist solely to twirl their mustaches and be evil in anything from Korea or China.

(and yes, I'm very aware that Japan brought the wide bulk of it on themselves by trying to commit genocide in both China and Korea, before someone brings it up.)
I was disappointed. I was expecting a twist where the Japanese shaman actually turns out to be the good person, but nope. He's a literal demon who went around town raping and murdering people, basically validating all the things the villagers said about him.

The exorcism ritual doesn't make sense either, but that's a whole other post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

I wish EC would get their poo poo together so people could just adapt more horror comics. Then you get a lot of voices in the mix, but a single screenwriter to give tonal consistency.

Honestly it's bizarre that Tales from the Crypt almost never adapted any material from EC (and when it did it was usually from Vault of Horror instead of its namesake).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean basically every episode is an adaption of a EC comics story but yes a surprisingly low percentage are actually from Tales From The Crypt.

A surprisingly large number are based on Shock SuspensStories.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

realistically speaking i almost feel like it'd be a better idea to just ignore EC and pull from the remainder of horror comics. like, you could pretty easily pull from Junji Ito's stuff or 2000AD or Richard Corben's stuff, and a large majority of that poo poo has just never been adapted.

hell, reading through Ito's shorts some of them seem straight-up made to be adapted into something like Tales from the Crypt.

Junji ito got an anthology anime. It was decent enough, but it really suffered from the low production values. Also, they missed an opportunity to adapt Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zwabu posted:

The Descent is one of those movies where you really benefit from participating in this thread.
I just watched it. I saw the American ending. Is the UK ending supposed to be the good one? I didn't see it, but it seems like the twist ending would just undercut the Sarah/Juno confrontation.

Either way, an excellent underrated film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

feedmyleg posted:

I think an anthology version of Weird Science would be rad as hell, if given an actual budget to do the alien worlds and big sci-fi set pieces.

Yeah this is what I want. It would be cool if it were period too, with midcentury modern design and boxy big button tech, but make the horror aspects visceral and disturbing.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Getting my Christmas shopping done early this year. Kvlt!, no peeking!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Edit: nvm

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 27, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

What about Hellraiser
Nah. My Fantasy Horror League has David Robert Mitchell doing Hellraiser.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WeaponX posted:

10. The Cleansing Hour

Wrong thread?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anyone seen this yet? It looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpCSCQJEmnk&t=1342s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nah. My Fantasy Horror League has David Robert Mitchell doing Hellraiser.

Well, Dougherty is doing it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Well, Dougherty is doing it.
Ah, wasn't following that, but t's a TV show and Dougherty's only writing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Junji ito got an anthology anime. It was decent enough, but it really suffered from the low production values. Also, they missed an opportunity to adapt Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Adult Swim/ Toonami is adapting Uzumaki. It was supposed to come out this year but got pushed to 2021. The music is from the dude who did Hereditary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWF6UBz9Amc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ah, wasn't following that, but t's a TV show and Dougherty's only writing.

Yeah. But hey Barker is back too. So that’s nice.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Desperate "identify a movie for me" plea. I sat down to watch PROM NIGHT 2: HELLO MARY LOU thinking I'd seen it before but I hadn't (it owns by the way). I was thinking of another 80s-ish teen horror/slasher film that I believe revolved around a dance and some kind of generational murder revenant (this is the night Sally was killed twenty years ago!), and the only distinguishing feature I can recall is that it felt very Cape Cod, or, like very Plymouth, Massachusetts coastal feeling. Maybe it revolved around a yacht club or something? Is this anything? Did I dream this after eating bad lobster?

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 27, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Desperate "identify a movie for me" plea. I sat down to watch PROM NIGHT 2: HELLO MARY LOU thinking I'd seen it before but I hadn't (it owns by the way). I was thinking of another 80s-ish teen horror/slasher film that I believe revolved around a dance and some kind of generational murder revenant (this is the night Sally was killed twenty years ago!), and the only distinguishing feature I can recall is that it felt very Cape Cod, or, like very Plymouth, Massachusetts coastal feeling. Maybe it revolved around a yacht club or something? Is this anything? Did I dream this after eating bad lobster?

The Prowler?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
April Fool's Day?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Oh baby, I think that's it. It was even on Shudder back in 2018 when I first signed up for it, so that tracks with when I think I saw it. Interestingly, it was filmed in Cape May, NJ, which is not exactly Cape Cod, but not wholly NOT Cape Cod for a filthy west coaster like me.

Also, it's up on Youtube right now and has been since 2017 so it sounds like the rights holders aren't too interested in protecting the copyright, so watch it while it's hot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU1_ANGdAOo

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
My Bloody Valentine’s town kind of feels coastal, to me. Probably not it though.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

graventy posted:

My Bloody Valentine’s town kind of feels coastal, to me. Probably not it though.

I love MBV but that's a Canadian mining town, not a coastal Kennedy-esque boating club kinda town.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Somehow the whole Prom Night franchise slipped by me entirely. Is Mary Lou a vengeful ghost/spirit kicking rear end through a bunch of her old enemies? If so sounds like the thing for me.

Also, I always get April Fool's Day and Happy Birthday to Me mixed up. One is actually clever fun and good, right? Which one?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've only seen April Fools Day, and it's good, but I think both have their fans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, this was sparked by a recent youtube video by Matt McMuscles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsvX2u6_NM

It may have been linked here already? Dunno. It taught me absolutely nothing because I'm the kind of horror goblin that read all those loving scripts back when they were unleashed online and followed the movie religiously. If anything I felt his review was sparse and lacking. Still decent for first timers looking into the history of the cinematic masterpiece that is Freddy VS Jason. You could do worse. And then I read the comments and one thing stuck out to me.

"Now do the Dark Universe."

And my blood, fellow horror goons, did it begin to boil. The Dark Universe is such a slam dunk fool proof loving simple thing to pull off, why the hell did they gently caress it up so bad twice

It is inconceivable!

This is why I went off in the cineD discord on the matter. Long story short, I'm strongly considering starting a personal one man goon project. A series of novels set in the same 'universe' that corrects the mistakes of the cinema. Each book will feature an A list and B or C list classic baddy, clashing in some fashion.

Book one will be Dracula coming to London, only to discover another supernatural horror has made the place their home- the Mummy! The Mummy then twists his crimes back around on Drac and leads Helsing and company after the vampire. Only one undead fiend may feast on the living!

Another book will see Doctor Frankenstein and a close colleague working tirelessly to bring his monster to life. The colleague encourages Frank to experiment further with the human brain, and after the monster lives, brutal murders begin happening. Fearing his creation to be responsible, Doctor Frankenstein instead finds himself dealing with the mystery of his friend, Doctor Jekyll, and the notorious Mr. Hyde.

This developed into a tangent that made me want to pursue this more and more.

The Invisible Man visits Paris and finds himself entangled with a mad Priest and his deformed servant...

And then the one that made me go, yes, I am going to do this. Posed with a question from Deb, who would face the Creature from the Black Lagoon, there was only one answer. Some how, some way, it will be the Phantom of the Opera.

I don't know how yet but by God I will make it so.

Wrapping the Bride of Frankenstein and the Wolfman into a horror romance may have to come first. That one I actually have a solid plan for as a legit sequel to the first Frankenstein book, a way to establish Frankenstein as a Hammer-styled villain of his own right and set the stage for the first proper crossover between other works.

The more I think about this, the more possible this feels, and the more I feel like yeah, I want to pursue this. I have to stay within copyrightability of course- all of these characters, more or less, are within the public domain or are broad enough that I can do my own rendition of them and be fine. But I wouldn't be able to use specific iterations of anything, and nothing out right owned by other companies. So no Doctor Pretorius, no Ygor, no flat top and bolts for Franky's monster.

Which I'm fine with. Give me something to get weird with

I'm still not sure how Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon are going to smash into each other but goddamnit I will try.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Attention gorehounds and spook-a-doodles! This is a priority 1 horror announcement!

Fellow goon and up and coming film director CelticPredator's Trick 'r Treat fan film, "Trick 'r Treat: Sam's Gift will be premiering exclusively on the final night of the Scream Stream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZExPCSDR4

The premiere will be at 7:15 PM EST on October 31st, with a repeat showing at 1:35 AM EST for people in other time zones. It will be broadcast through the official Scream Stream Cytube channel! Please install this extension for the best viewing experience!

Never before have two titans of terror collaborated to bring you this much Halloween Havoc! Don't miss this once in a lifetime Scarestravaganza! You wouldn't want to disappoint Sam, would you?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

I'm still not sure how Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon are going to smash into each other but goddamnit I will try.

The book has you covered:

quote:

Suddenly, two monstrous arms issued from the bosom of the waters and seized me by the neck, dragging me down to the depths with irresistible force. I should certainly have been lost, if I had not had time to give a cry by which Erik knew me. For it was he; and, instead of drowning me, as was certainly his first intention, he swam with me and laid me gently on the bank:

"How imprudent you are!" he said, as he stood before me, dripping with water. "Why try to enter my house? I never invited you! I don't want you there, nor anybody! Did you save my life only to make it unbearable to me? However great the service you rendered him, Erik may end by forgetting it; and you know that nothing can restrain Erik, not even Erik himself."

He spoke, but I had now no other wish than to know what I already called the trick of the siren. He satisfied my curiosity, for Erik, who is a real monster—I have seen him at work in Persia, alas—is also, in certain respects, a regular child, vain and self-conceited, and there is nothing he loves so much, after astonishing people, as to prove all the really miraculous ingenuity of his mind.

He laughed and showed me a long reed.

"It's the silliest trick you ever saw," he said, "but it's very useful for breathing and singing in the water. I learned it from the Tonkin pirates, who are able to remain hidden for hours in the beds of the rivers."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shudder is running a pretty cool virtual festival on Saturday with some interesting panel talks and the premiere of a new Shudder Original that's coming out in 2021.

quote:

Highlights of the event include a virtual hang with “horror royalty” including genre luminaries Tony Todd (Candyman), Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street) and others; a conversation between the stars and creators of 2020’s Zoom-horror Host and the makers of 1999’s found footage masterpiece, The Blair Witch Project; a panel of musicians who love Horror, including Bright Light Bright Light and Starcrawler’s Arrow De Wilde; Scary Story Time with Scare Me’s Josh Ruben and friends; a special recording of The Kingcast podcast with Creepshow showrunner Greg Nicotero; and a one-time secret screening of a future Shudder Original film that won’t be available until 2021.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zwabu posted:

Somehow the whole Prom Night franchise slipped by me entirely. Is Mary Lou a vengeful ghost/spirit kicking rear end through a bunch of her old enemies? If so sounds like the thing for me.

Pretty much and it rules, also Michael Ironside is in it!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Prom Night 2 is amazing, and the original is underrated!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

A good anthology series based on Japanese horror comics that are already in anthology format to begin with would rule. Reminds of this one I used to read ages ago called Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurosagi_Corpse_Delivery_Service

tl,dr Some college friends each have some morbid interest/ability they specialized in at school that makes them completely useless in the real world, but by working together they can find spirits around Tokyo with unfinished business left, figured out/solve/avenge whatever that is, and then hopefully get paid in the process. Since the "clients" dead though their compensation is usually them selling photos of corpses. It's like perfect a episodic tv setup and was pretty fun but for some reason it never got any anime/live action/movie/anything.

Same illustrator did this one which was relatively cool at the time too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(manga)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Neo Rasa posted:

A good anthology series based on Japanese horror comics that are already in anthology format to begin with would rule. Reminds of this one I used to read ages ago called Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurosagi_Corpse_Delivery_Service

tl,dr Some college friends each have some morbid interest/ability they specialized in at school that makes them completely useless in the real world, but by working together they can find spirits around Tokyo with unfinished business left, figured out/solve/avenge whatever that is, and then hopefully get paid in the process. Since the "clients" dead though their compensation is usually them selling photos of corpses. It's like perfect a episodic tv setup and was pretty fun but for some reason it never got any anime/live action/movie/anything.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service did wonders for the creepiness of the undead when the creative market was saturated with zombie poo poo. I should definitely pick up some more volumes of it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve been streaming movies with friends all October, but tonight I would like something a little higher in quality than the weird junk I’ve been showing them. I want to show them something old, black and white, heavy on mood and available for streaming.

I’m thinking The Black Cat 1934, White Zombie, or The Old House (not limited to this). Not having seen any of these myself, what would best fit the bill?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve been streaming movies with friends all October, but tonight I would like something a little higher in quality than the weird junk I’ve been showing them. I want to show them something old, black and white, heavy on mood and available for streaming.

I’m thinking The Black Cat 1934, White Zombie, or The Old House (not limited to this). Not having seen any of these myself, what would best fit the bill?

My recommendation would be House on Haunted Hill, which is on Prime. Just be careful because there's two versions on there, one of which is colorized.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I think you mean the Old Dark House, and yes all three are great. White Zombie is the moodiest of those three i would say

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

"old, black and white, heavy on mood"

Strongly recommend looking into these to see if they interest you/yoru friends might dig them:

Curse of the Demon (1957)
Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
Kuroneko (1968)
Onibaba (1964)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1922)
Vampyr (1932)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Lurdiak posted:

Attention gorehounds and spook-a-doodles! This is a priority 1 horror announcement!

Fellow goon and up and coming film director CelticPredator's Trick 'r Treat fan film, "Trick 'r Treat: Sam's Gift will be premiering exclusively on the final night of the Scream Stream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZExPCSDR4

The premiere will be at 7:15 PM EST on October 31st, with a repeat showing at 1:35 AM EST for people in other time zones. It will be broadcast through the official Scream Stream Cytube channel! Please install this extension for the best viewing experience!

Never before have two titans of terror collaborated to bring you this much Halloween Havoc! Don't miss this once in a lifetime Scarestravaganza! You wouldn't want to disappoint Sam, would you?

This is awesome.