Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We lost one of our July chicks yesterday, Gru the little bent necked Leghorn. She had yellow runny pop and couldn’t control her legs very well. My first thought was Mareks but I did have the chicks vaccinated for that... I think it was a bacteria or toxin from some old wheat that I gave them. From what I’ve read the symptoms can be very similar. :(

All the chickens have been huddled up in the coop the last 2 days, we got about 6 inches of snow and some very cold weather. This was yesterday

This is today. It’s so much warmer:airquote: (11F) that Clarence the Clown isn’t proofed up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Amber has improved significantly since the tick and worm treatment. Stools are almost normal now. She eats like a horse. Quite a friendly chook too. Looking at her options with the rest of the crew but I might be looking at making a bespoke house for her as she is finding getting up difficult with her wonky leg.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Amber has improved significantly since the tick and worm treatment. Stools are almost normal now. She eats like a horse. Quite a friendly chook too. Looking at her options with the rest of the crew but I might be looking at making a bespoke house for her as she is finding getting up difficult with her wonky leg.

Yay! She's pulling through!

Joburg posted:

We lost one of our July chicks yesterday, Gru the little bent necked Leghorn. She had yellow runny pop and couldn’t control her legs very well. My first thought was Mareks but I did have the chicks vaccinated for that... I think it was a bacteria or toxin from some old wheat that I gave them. From what I’ve read the symptoms can be very similar. :(

All the chickens have been huddled up in the coop the last 2 days, we got about 6 inches of snow and some very cold weather. This was yesterday

This is today. It’s so much warmer:airquote: (11F) that Clarence the Clown isn’t proofed up at all.

I bet it's so very cozy to have an optionally poofy blanket on you all the time.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yay, Amber! You go girl!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:kimchi:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I needed this good news today thanks. She looks great!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

Right now we have her inside in a guinea pig cage (a nice big one) and I sit and watch her all day.

Hilariously, she stumbles around until she steps on her food bowl (sometimes making it go everywhere) and then she’ll bob her head down around where she thinks the bowl is but normally missing it the first several tries. She eventually finds it and munches away!

Sometimes she starts crying and it’s almost always solved by me picking her up and setting her in front of the food, and then clinking the bowl with my finger to let her know the proximity.

Watching her drink is even funnier because she’ll run into the coffee mug I use for her water and then she’ll bob her head beside the cup instead of in it, but she’ll still hold her beak up and do the slurpy thing as if she got water in there.

We're having a hard time getting Gertrude to drink on her own. She'll stumble around until she finds her food, but she hasn't figured out drinking yet, so having to feed her a very watery mix to make sure she stays hydrated. Not sure what to do long term as I don't think she'll be able to manage in the big run with the others :smith:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to get a hen to stop laying? I’m worried about Boo who just laid her 3rd egg. With her eye problems and being on a new course of antibiotics and daily eye de-crusting, I’m worried about the stress she’s under and laying can’t help things.

The last thing I need is for her to be struggling to lay and her body giving nutrients over to that process! Lots of articles about how to get them to lay but not the opposite. One thing I can do is make sure her lamp goes out earlier in the day to make the day seem shorter.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

spookygonk has a vet who puts in an implant that stops them laying. I really wish I could find a vet here for that as egg laying issues are what seem to do my ex-batts in eventually.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

:toot:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Enfys posted:

spookygonk has a vet who puts in an implant that stops them laying. I really wish I could find a vet here for that as egg laying issues are what seem to do my ex-batts in eventually.

That’s suprelorin. It’s pretty common, you should be able to find a vet to implant it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LuckyCat posted:

Is there any way to get a hen to stop laying? I’m worried about Boo who just laid her 3rd egg. With her eye problems and being on a new course of antibiotics and daily eye de-crusting, I’m worried about the stress she’s under and laying can’t help things.

The last thing I need is for her to be struggling to lay and her body giving nutrients over to that process! Lots of articles about how to get them to lay but not the opposite. One thing I can do is make sure her lamp goes out earlier in the day to make the day seem shorter.

Enfys posted:

Hello, yes. We have all our ex-batt hens put on the implant when their egg laying starts to go wrong. Some of ours carried on for 18 months happily laying, while others needed one from the outset (Molly with her hernia, Bella with her prolapse).

Trouble is, you'll need to find a vet that can and is willing to do it. Ours has the technique down to a 'turn bird over, inject under the skin and done' routine, it's over in 30 seconds. We spoke with one vet that would only do it under anaesthetic, then chip the bird and register with DEFRA (we obviously said, "Hell no." to that). Our vet knows they're our pets.

It's also expensive, the implant itself is around £135 each, plus any extras the vet might add on, and it only lasts 3 - 6 months.

Yes, it stops egg production, but it does make the hen feel rough for a few days (Bella had a limp for a week with the first couple of implants) and then, especially with the first implant, the chicken will go through a hard moult, big wing feathers and all. So there's extra stress on the bird at the start. Further implants, if necessary, usually don't start a hard moult.

I think it is a lifesaver for our ex-batts, stopping all the problems that do happen when their egg system starts to fail and complications set in. They're bred to lay an egg a day, every day for 18 months and then simply culled. They're not designed to have a long life. Pip* has enjoying us 8 years and 10 months of retirement without any illness with her time with us (Piper had nearly 8 years of freedom and basically died of old age).

I think with your Boo, as long as she gets enough food with extra protein and maybe some poultry tonic, she should be okay. Also snacks and treats.

*Queen Pip the Glorious

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/ZgtQuWL.mp4

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
chook abuse!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

We aren’t planning on dressing up the chooks for Halloween .

We are starting to introduce amber with the bantams though. Her leg is still useless as ever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The reaction of the other two is hysterical

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

At least everyone will get a leg at the dinner table.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

We aren’t planning on dressing up the chooks for Halloween .

We are starting to introduce amber with the bantams though. Her leg is still useless as ever.

She seems to be adapting to her disability, and the fact she's a normal chook, doing normal chicken things regardless of the leg is heartening.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Queen Pip the Glorious was a little unwell first thing yesterday morning. Whatever it was she recoverded quickly, though we are keeping a close eye on her.

This morning she was very shaky, unsteady on her feet and could barely move, couldn't come out of the Eglu. We picked her up and made her comfortable in the kitchen , where she sat dozing, doing an odd little head twisty motion. She also did a *lot* of cecal poops.

45 minutes later and Pip was up and having some food, looking much more her old self. She even jogged down the garden with the others for some live mealworms. She's an old gurl, over 10 and a half years old and we're not sure if her legs / ankles are causing her pain or it's something else.

Anyway, we have Metacam in the house and gave her 0.5ml. Don't know if that helped make her more comfortable, but you wouldn't know she had a bad start to the day now.

Photo of QPtG just now:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

spookygonk posted:

This morning she was very shaky, unsteady on her feet and could barely move, couldn't come out of the Eglu. We picked her up and made her comfortable in the kitchen , where she sat dozing, doing an odd little head twisty motion. She also did a *lot* of cecal poops.

That sounds exactly like what happened with Gertrude with the shaky unsteadiness and the head twisting motions, except unfortunately she hasn't gotten back to her old self and has since gone blind. Just giving her a wee bit more time to see if she can adapt enough to have a reasonable quality of life, but I am not holding out much hope for a good outcome any more :(

Really glad Pip perked up and hope she continues to stay healthy and her glorious self.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

We had a rooster show up on our property one day about a year ago and he apparently lives here now. Can you help identify the breed? I may want to get him a mate and see if we can re-domesticate him. Right now he sleeps in our oak trees and hangs out in a giant conifer during the day. He won't let us get within 10 feet of him. We've been feeding him scratch, meal worms and pellets and he appears to be healthy overall. I'm not sure how he ended up in our yard but he seems to like it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Luna posted:

We had a rooster show up on our property one day about a year ago and he apparently lives here now. Can you help identify the breed? I may want to get him a mate and see if we can re-domesticate him. Right now he sleeps in our oak trees and hangs out in a giant conifer during the day. He won't let us get within 10 feet of him. We've been feeding him scratch, meal worms and pellets and he appears to be healthy overall. I'm not sure how he ended up in our yard but he seems to like it.

Wow, he’s gorgeous! I’m no good at breeds though. You might post on backyardchickens.com, that site has a whole forum section about identification.

If you want to get him a mate, you’d better get a more than one. Roosters are pretty hard on hens if they don’t have a harem.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Joburg posted:

Wow, he’s gorgeous! I’m no good at breeds though. You might post on backyardchickens.com, that site has a whole forum section about identification.

If you want to get him a mate, you’d better get a more than one. Roosters are pretty hard on hens if they don’t have a harem.

see, you can catch morehens disease from a stray rooster

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

That sounds exactly like what happened with Gertrude with the shaky unsteadiness and the head twisting motions, except unfortunately she hasn't gotten back to her old self and has since gone blind. Just giving her a wee bit more time to see if she can adapt enough to have a reasonable quality of life, but I am not holding out much hope for a good outcome any more :(

Really glad Pip perked up and hope she continues to stay healthy and her glorious self.

Poor Gertrude :smith:

With Pip, looking at the phone video footage of her from this morning, it looks like she had vertigo first thing (other half has had it, so knows the symptoms) rather than leg problems. Hopefully this can be treatable more quickly. Will message our vet tomorrow and see what he says.

EDIT: Sunday morning and Pip walks out of her nest with no obvious problems.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 1, 2020

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

I love this :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

...and now *I* need to make a spider costume for my chickens.

Meanwhile, we'll have to settle for our annual 'Fun With Jack-o-Lanterns' thing...

Bantams being fun-sized sure is handy. Poor little Marble.

Luna, your roo appears to be an Americaunas, going by his leg color and general appearance. Or possibly an Olive Egger/Easter Egger.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My husband was shocked today to learn just how tiny quail really are, despite us owning them for almost two years.

"This recipe calls for six roasted quails... but it's only two servings?!"

Those delightfully round blorbs are indeed mostly feather.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My folks are moving so their chickens have temporarily moved to my house.

William of Orange (over on the left behind the fence) is not amused.

I really hope we don’t have a cock fight.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Aaaand there has been some fighting... William is in Rooster jail and isn’t happy. I haven’t been able to catch Mom’s rooster but he is ambulatory at least. Stupid roosters.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Roos frustrate the crap out of me. Why can’t they just chill out with some chill cake and be chill??? No point looking all handsome if you’re not going be be chill. Chill out!

We’ve tried keeping roosters on a number of occasions. Never seems to work out. The bantam Roos seem to be more aggressive toward the kids for some reason. That red line...

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I wish they would just chill!

My mom’s previous rooster was a bantam and he was awful.

I just haven’t decided what to do about these stupid boys. It would be a lot of work to make up another coop somewhere else and the snow drift is too deep to move Camp Cluck. I’m leaning towards culling William of Orange. (I knew I shouldn’t have named him.) Once Mom’s chickens are gone, Clarence the Clown will be 5+ months old and hopefully he can watch over the flock.

Ugh. Stupid roosters.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Well if anyone in the UK wants to get rid of an aggressive rooster, I'll take it! Gotta keep the dogs cowed away from the chickens somehow... I miss my Thorax, he was so mean that 10 years later the window cleaners still refused to go round the back.

Don't ever get a Light Sussex roo, they're huge and haven't forgotten that they're dinosaurs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Roos frustrate the crap out of me. Why can’t they just chill out with some chill cake and be chill??? No point looking all handsome if you’re not going be be chill. Chill out!

We’ve tried keeping roosters on a number of occasions. Never seems to work out. The bantam Roos seem to be more aggressive toward the kids for some reason. That red line...

When I was raising my meat birds I had 12 Roos. Once they got big enough all they did was crow and beat the poo poo out of each other. That’s why they went to freezer camp at 9 weeks and the girls went at 13 weeks. I wanted the girls to have a month of peace and quiet. Had they not been destined to die at 18 months I would have kept them they were so sweet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

multiple feeding points=chill roosters (*meat birds not included)

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
My girls are about 5-6 months old now. Still waiting on eggs.

Please enjoy this fluff butt

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

^^ That is a floofy butt! ^^

Anyway, I know things are still a bit tense in the US at the moment, so here's a photo of Molly, Pip* and Bella enjoying the sunshine this morning.

*Queen Pip the Glorious

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

:h: :h: :h:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to clean Boo’s eyes out earlier and it was stressful as usual. So stressful that I sat her down and she squatted and laid an egg in my lap.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

LuckyCat posted:

I was trying to clean Boo’s eyes out earlier and it was stressful as usual. So stressful that I sat her down and she squatted and laid an egg in my lap.

Blessed by chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

It was a bribe.