Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Lumpy posted:

Can you enter tournaments as a solo person (i.e. will you be matchmade with other randos) or do you have to have a full team / party when it starts?

You can solo or two person queue, it'll get a random or randoms for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

Can you enter tournaments as a solo person (i.e. will you be matchmade with other randos) or do you have to have a full team / party when it starts?

You can queue solo or team of two and it will fill in the rest of the team for you no problem.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

PotatoJudge posted:

You can solo or two person queue, it'll get a random or randoms for you.

poemdexter posted:

You can queue solo or team of two and it will fill in the rest of the team for you no problem.

Now all that's left is the moral question of if I want to inflict myself and my skills on other people who may want to win.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Now all that's left is the moral question of if I want to inflict myself and my skills on other people who may want to win.
What rank are you on? I'm new and getting in between silver and gold tournaments. I do much better in silver than gold obviously. I have been enjoying the tournaments a lot though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
After complaining about no goal explosions I have like 3-4 blueprints now. I'm very tempted to get Buffy Sugo just cause I'm sure it'll anger serious gamer try hard types. I already use the Salty banner so it'd fit right in.

Lumpy posted:

...but are you as bad as me? I'm generally silver, up to gold if I play (or get carried :v:) enough, down to try getting together for a tourney with other trash players.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

japtor posted:

After complaining about no goal explosions I have like 3-4 blueprints now. I'm very tempted to get Buffy Sugo just cause I'm sure it'll anger serious gamer try hard types. I already use the Salty banner so it'd fit right in.

...but are you as bad as me? I'm generally silver, up to gold if I play (or get carried :v:) enough, down to try getting together for a tourney with other trash players.

I’m down for this too. Join the discord and let’s do it! https://discord.gg/DZz3sWs

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fritzler posted:

What rank are you on? I'm new and getting in between silver and gold tournaments. I do much better in silver than gold obviously. I have been enjoying the tournaments a lot though.

japtor posted:

I somehow hit Diamond 1 in 3s over the weekend. But given that probably won't last long, I suspect we can play together sometime soon! Also, I am a trash PS4 player, so I don't know if that makes it too difficult to do comms and so on.

Are there many PS4 people left on discord? I'm at the point where I know what I need to work on mechanics wise, but would love a fresh set of eyes on my positioning / rotations and so on.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Platform doesn't really matter, you can party up cross platform ezpz. If you wanted to use discord for comms you might need to get it on your phone though.

Getting replay files off a console for review is a pain though, your best bet would be to either search on ballchasing.com or calculated.gg and hope that some PC player has uploaded a replay of a recent game you're in, or to team up with a PC player for some games and get them to save a replay for you.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Lumpy posted:

I somehow hit Diamond 1 in 3s over the weekend. But given that probably won't last long, I suspect we can play together sometime soon! Also, I am a trash PS4 player, so I don't know if that makes it too difficult to do comms and so on.

Are there many PS4 people left on discord? I'm at the point where I know what I need to work on mechanics wise, but would love a fresh set of eyes on my positioning / rotations and so on.

Can’t speak for any of the newer goons but I think it’s mainly just Darkflame and me on PS4. Did you post about wanting the big splash explosion? I have an extra.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Don't worry about being the solo player letting other players down because if a duo is queueing for 3v3, they're accepting the risk that their third player might kinda suck and some players will always blame their third for losses regardless of how well they play. Also, duos in 3s can have a tendency to either buddy up on every play or treat their third player as a spare defender, which is giving you no good opportunities on the ball and forcing you to fight your own team for any amount of possession. You just have to accept that sometimes you're going to not make the play, and just hope your random teammates don't take it personally.

Also don't worry about being bad even if you don't feel good enough to be whatever rank you've climbed to. Just play your game. If you actually want to get better, don't focus on ranks, focus on what you do in each game and what specific things you can improve on. Think about how you get the ball from A to B, how you can get a better hit on the ball, why you miss shots that should have gone in, what opportunities you could have had that didn't work out, and most importantly what mistakes you make that the other team can capitalise on. Small improvements to mechanics, decisions, rotations etc can all add up to a significant improvement over time.

I've been a PS4 player since the very beginning, but I don't think there's many more left here, most people have moved to PC. It's all good because you can still play cross-platform and the only thing that doesn'tweork is in-game chat (party chat works fine). As Contra Duck says, the biggest downside to console platforms is you can't get your own replay files which a lot of people use for clips, gameplay analysis and other stuff but if a PC player in your game saves the replay you can use that exactly* the same. You might even find your own replays up on the Ballchasing or Calculated sites, some people auto-upload replays of every game they play using third-party plugins.

*Due to some Nerd Bullshit there can be some minor discrepancies in replay files of the same game but they should be otherwise identical.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

Don't worry about being the solo player letting other players down because if a duo is queueing for 3v3, they're accepting the risk that their third player might kinda suck and some players will always blame their third for losses regardless of how well they play. Also, duos in 3s can have a tendency to either buddy up on every play or treat their third player as a spare defender, which is giving you no good opportunities on the ball and forcing you to fight your own team for any amount of possession. You just have to accept that sometimes you're going to not make the play, and just hope your random teammates don't take it personally.

Also don't worry about being bad even if you don't feel good enough to be whatever rank you've climbed to. Just play your game. If you actually want to get better, don't focus on ranks, focus on what you do in each game and what specific things you can improve on. Think about how you get the ball from A to B, how you can get a better hit on the ball, why you miss shots that should have gone in, what opportunities you could have had that didn't work out, and most importantly what mistakes you make that the other team can capitalise on. Small improvements to mechanics, decisions, rotations etc can all add up to a significant improvement over time.

I've been a PS4 player since the very beginning, but I don't think there's many more left here, most people have moved to PC. It's all good because you can still play cross-platform and the only thing that doesn'tweork is in-game chat (party chat works fine). As Contra Duck says, the biggest downside to console platforms is you can't get your own replay files which a lot of people use for clips, gameplay analysis and other stuff but if a PC player in your game saves the replay you can use that exactly* the same. You might even find your own replays up on the Ballchasing or Calculated sites, some people auto-upload replays of every game they play using third-party plugins.

*Due to some Nerd Bullshit there can be some minor discrepancies in replay files of the same game but they should be otherwise identical.

can you not just set the replay camera to follow you and share it from a PS4? if it's about positioning and poo poo I can't imagine anyone cares about video quality.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
That's cool. There are some old, old replays on ballchasing for me and the other site finds my Steam account (which is on my Mac =) and not my PSN one. :smith:

morallyobjected posted:

can you not just set the replay camera to follow you and share it from a PS4? if it's about positioning and poo poo I can't imagine anyone cares about video quality.

Very true.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lumpy posted:

I'm a (presumably) trashier Switch player :v:. But yeah cross platform is easy, I've been playing with PC friends occasionally and just using Discord to talk. I'll hit up the channel when I think I might be available for a tourney.

Contra Duck posted:

Getting replay files off a console for review is a pain though, your best bet would be to either search on ballchasing.com or calculated.gg and hope that some PC player has uploaded a replay of a recent game you're in, or to team up with a PC player for some games and get them to save a replay for you.
On one hand happy no one's been mad enough to put me on there, but there's been some good games too!

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

TheDarkFlame posted:

Somehow I got promoted to Gold 3 despite being terrible and being carried by the team in all matches. I know what you're saying, but it's properly embarrassing now: I can't fly so I lose every tussle, can't time a clearance, am defeated by any incoming overhead shots and can't get a ball past the goalie. The most I've been able to contribute is to harrass the opposition goalie occasionally, and to play a lot of "dummies" when I pretend to hit the ball and go sailing past.

Would love to improve and I've watched a few videos, but I'm not a teenager anymore and realistically I'm not going to spend time practicing - I just want to get matched against players of a similar ability. Utterly baffling that it can't manage that.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

As someone who is also not a teenager anymore I think the Hoops mode in the extra games category is a great way to practice flying in a low pressure way because being ranked keeps the challenge reasonable to your skill level, plays on a smaller field that is all about getting the ball up in the air, and if you can't fly yet odds are your opponents and teammate can't either.

I also found it easier to direct myself in the air if I unlocked the camera from the ball before doing the little hop to lift off as I found leaving it on sort of messes with your sense of perspective closing in on the ball and made me focus on where the ball was instead of where it was going. My accuracy got way better in the air and at the least made defence a little less daunting. I don't know if this would work for everyone but the difference felt night and day to me.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

JammyB posted:

Would love to improve and I've watched a few videos, but I'm not a teenager anymore and realistically I'm not going to spend time practicing - I just want to get matched against players of a similar ability. Utterly baffling that it can't manage that.

You end up at a rank where you’re winning half your games, it’s nothing to do with mechanical ability. It turns out that at gold 3, their strategy of being a dumbass who can occasionally hit an aerial is just as effective at winning games as your strategy of keeping out of everyone’s way and trying to avoid major screwups.

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 30, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You can get way further on good game sense and positioning than you can on poopsocking fancy aerials. On my climb through plat and D1/D2 after the soft reset I ran into lots of players who can hit shots I can't hit, but it doesn't mean much when they don't rotate properly and I hit an easy clear into their goal.

Eventually you'll hit a wall though, the best players have great mechanics and positioning.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

JammyB posted:

Somehow I got promoted to Gold 3 despite being terrible and being carried by the team in all matches. I know what you're saying, but it's properly embarrassing now: I can't fly so I lose every tussle, can't time a clearance, am defeated by any incoming overhead shots and can't get a ball past the goalie. The most I've been able to contribute is to harrass the opposition goalie occasionally, and to play a lot of "dummies" when I pretend to hit the ball and go sailing past.

Ok so: I get exactly what you're saying. I was the same and kinda still am. After five years of this thing I'm Champ and my playstyle can sarcastically be described as "being terrible and being carried by the team in all matches". I've still never tagged myself as Champ in our Discord because part of me doesn't think I deserve it, even though I've managed to win plenty of games, get reasonably high in Champ and stay here for multiple seasons now. There are lots of Champ things I can't really do.

You deserve to be where you are because all you need to do to rank up is win more games than you lose, and if you can help your team to not lose then you're going to win eventually. Doesn't matter if you're the monster scoring all the goals or the guy who keeps hitting the ball forwards giving that goal scorer more opportunities, as long as your tean wins more than 50% of the time. You don't need to be able to do certain things to achieve certain ranks because there are no specific challenges and skill-checks to make sure you can do these tricks before you are allowed into the next rank up. You don't have someone checking a clipboard to make sure players can aerial before they're allowed in Gold. You don't have to 100% a training pack of difficult shots before you can be Diamond. You don't get tested to see if you're able to air dribble and flip reset to get into GC, you've just got to win matches. So whatever rank you are, you managed to hit it, you deserve that rank because you got there. Learning these things can improve your game and gives you more options but you're not beneath Gold 3 just because you can't aerial, if your team is winning enough games to raise your rank then you're doing something right.

So, in my case, because I know I can't pull off elaborate solo plays, a lot of my game is positioning and decisions, asking myself what is the best opportunity I have to go for the ball, whether anyone else is defending/pressuring, and where I need to be going after I hit it. It means I'm not an offensive powerhouse, I'm not a points per game machine, but I don't do nothing and I still do reasonably well most of the time. I'm just stubborn and I keep trying to minimise the risk to my team, be ready to cover for my teammates and go for the best opportunities I can make. This is where a lot of higher ranks go awry, players go for high-risk plays, mess it up or even miss the ball and then give a completely free opportunity to the other team.

If aerials are a problem for you, the best thing to do is to just go for them. You'll learn by doing them eventually. I was put off trying for a long time because I was bad at them, but being able to use the height of the pitch is a real advantage and learning how to aerial will add an extra dimension to your gameplay. Eventually, you're going to need to be able to go ip for the ball; put anyone who can aerial up against bots and you will quickly realise just how advantageous it is to be able to hit a ball that somebody else can't reach.

Just go for any high balls and don't beat yourself up about missing. I would suggest trying the aerial training for a bit, pushing yourself a little further than you're comfortable with without the pressure of being in a game. Or if you're not comfortable with flying at all, spend fifteen minutes or so in free-play training, and just jump up and boost your way forward, aiming to land on the back wall. As you get better, try to land somewhere specific, like aim for a point above the crossbar or some marking on the wall. Every time you start the game, give yourself that fifteen minutes to warm up and try things like this, and you'll naturally get better at a variety of things by just doing them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JammyB posted:

Particularly relevant video that might make you feel better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvTTRkAx_o

I don't care for training but the aerials and goalkeeping ones were helpful and not too long to do, I just restarted each shot until I got them and that was a decent amount of tries to get them all. That said I think heatseeker might've been the most helpful for goalkeeping just cause the non stop nature and the random variation of every shot.

TheDarkFlame posted:

So, in my case, because I know I can't pull off elaborate solo plays, a lot of my game is positioning and decisions, asking myself what is the best opportunity I have to go for the ball, whether anyone else is defending/pressuring, and where I need to be going after I hit it. It means I'm not an offensive powerhouse, I'm not a points per game machine, but I don't do nothing and I still do reasonably well most of the time. I'm just stubborn and I keep trying to minimise the risk to my team, be ready to cover for my teammates and go for the best opportunities I can make. This is where a lot of higher ranks go awry, players go for high-risk plays, mess it up or even miss the ball and then give a completely free opportunity to the other team.
Low level player but that's more or less my mentality too, I feel kinda like the equivalent of a 3 and D player in basketball. Try to be decent on defense and take opportunities when you can on offense, don't necessarily need to play outside of your game and just help where you can. I don't really mind being with clearly better players cause that kinda makes it easier for me as far as knowing my role so I can just focus on spacing/positioning and doing what I can within the flow of the team.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

Alright, thanks for all those tips and that video link, that's really useful and has inspired me to keep going and not worry about it so much. It's a fair point that as a new player I'm probably a bit awestruck by some of the skills I'm seeing and not the best judge of what is having the most impact on the result.

I still think the ranking system could stand to be a little less over-eager to promote new players to face up against veterans (I think I'd only played about 10 matches before being promoted), but it's hard to argue with the purity of moving up and down the ranks based on the result only. When I think about it, it's true that any system that tried to take into account skill/points/whatever will have its own flaws.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

JammyB posted:

I still think the ranking system could stand to be a little less over-eager to promote new players to face up against veterans (I think I'd only played about 10 matches before being promoted), but it's hard to argue with the purity of moving up and down the ranks based on the result only. When I think about it, it's true that any system that tried to take into account skill/points/whatever will have its own flaws.

This is probably because the rating system is very similar (the same as?) things like TrueSkill or the Glicko system, which are Elo-like, but they include a sigma that starts out large when you don't have a lot of games or go on a very long winning/losing streak and narrows over time. If your sigma is high, then the amount your rating changes on a win or loss is high, so a brand new account can get shoved up the ranks very quickly.

Also, I'm on PS4 and I'm in the discord all the time now, so golds/plats looking for tourney teammates or just general 2s/3s fuckery can find me. (Or cross-platform, too, but being able to be in a PSN party is probably easier than having my headset hooked up to my laptop for Discord.)

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I discovered that if your team scores a goal, but nobody on your team touched it since faceoff it just says ORANGE SCORED (or whatever your team name), and nobody gets credit for the goal haha

plat snow day with pubbies is wild

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally got back to gold in 3s :toot:. Partied up with a few last night and just went on a tear until I went to bed. Played a few today and was rough going but got gold eventually. Didn't seem like a huge gulf in skill set in any of the games but made such a massive difference last night with the movement flow and positioning we had going on, vs today's games mostly being a poo poo show.

The Fattest PI posted:

I discovered that if your team scores a goal, but nobody on your team touched it since faceoff it just says ORANGE SCORED (or whatever your team name), and nobody gets credit for the goal haha

plat snow day with pubbies is wild
Haha yeah I saw the [COLOR] SCORED thing in Heatseeker a few times, I think the instant replay camera just focuses on the last car to hit it...then just stays on goal.

Speaking of Snow Day, @JammyB you might want to mess around there for a while too. With the way the puck moves I feel like it kinda helped me ease into control along the walls and having to defend/shoot in the air. Most of the time the puck is just sliding in two dimensions along the wall so it can be easier to track and hit than the ball flying around with that extra dimension in normal modes.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

japtor posted:

Speaking of Snow Day, @JammyB you might want to mess around there for a while too. With the way the puck moves I feel like it kinda helped me ease into control along the walls and having to defend/shoot in the air. Most of the time the puck is just sliding in two dimensions along the wall so it can be easier to track and hit than the ball flying around with that extra dimension in normal modes.

Took your advice, had a few matches just now and did pretty well. Yes this is so much more satisfying for my level right now - with the puck sticking to the wall it's so much easier to achieve the defensive and offensive plays without making a tit of myself.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Snow day is so different but I swear it helps my regular game. Maybe my regular game skill is just that low lol
Also if you have any ability to hit a ball in the air, Snowday is free wins until like low plat

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey other gold 3 goons. Add me and let's play together

JammyB
May 23, 2001

The standard of play in Snow Day is so bad compared to the regular mode, even for people with bling cars and 'season 1 tournament winner' tags etc. I got about 8/10 victories unranked while just trying out some risky strats and not playing my best, then immediately got promoted to Diamond 1 div 1, then a single victory there moved me to div 2. CellBlock, you're definitely onto something about the low number of games causing big sways in the ranking.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I know at one point in the old thread there was a link to the camera settings that various pros use. is that still available somewhere?

e: vvvvvv hey thanks!

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 31, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Liquipedia lists most of them https://liquipedia.net/rocketleague/Portal:Players

Not sure if that was the link before but, should suffice

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/1326223344832815104

Rocket League will be playable at launch on the new consoles.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It would be extremely on brand for me to spend $700 on a new console and use it mainly to play Rocket League

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

prom candy posted:

It would be extremely on brand for me to spend $700 on a new console and use it mainly to play Rocket League

Make sure you don't get a PS5 because only the Xboxes will get 120hz in the future. :toot:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

prom candy posted:

Gonna play Astro Bot, Demon's Souls, and RL a lot the next moth. Mostly RL.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

pik_d posted:

Make sure you don't get a PS5 because only the Xboxes will get 120hz in the future. :toot:

I'm actually just trying to get my hands on a 3080 that I can base a computer upgrade around. A computer upgrade that I will mainly use to play Rocket League.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Signups are open for the Indy Gaming League Winter Circuit. IGL runs leagues for 1s 2s & 3s in both US regions and EU, 3s leagues for OCE and SAM and for this circuit they are running a 3v3 heatseaker league in USE.

Teams are split into divisions based on the highest ranked player on a team, the rank tiers for 2s & 3s are:

Tier 1: GC2+
Tier 2: C3-GC1
Tier 3: C1-C2
Tier 4: D2-D3
Tier 5: P3-D1
Tier 6: P1-P2
Tier 7: <G3

For 1s they add a tier at the bottom for Silver 3 and below and change tier 7 to be all of gold. There are no tiers for the heatseaker circuit, it is going to be a free for all.

Once you are signed up and your team's ranks are verified you'll be sorted into a division with 10-30ish other teams. The league will build a six week schedule for you, 1 team per week. You play 1 best of 5 match per week, if you end up in the top 16 in your division you make the playoffs where it is best of 5 for the first two rounds, best of 7 for the last two, again playing 1 round per week. The team captains schedule the matches, generally I try to get ours on weekday evenings, but we've had some on weekend afternoons or late nights. Scheduling is pretty painless, on your team page there's a button to get your opponent's discord information, there's a channel on the IGL discord for making introductions, from there you DM with the other team's captain and settle on a day / time. I've done 3 circuits and so far everyone has been very easy to work with.

If you're interested and have any questions feel free to ask me, Jawn, or Static. If you need teammates check out the Goon Discord or the IGL Discord.

Also, in addition to Rocket League they are running leagues for Killer Queen Black, Super Smash Brothers, and Apex Legends.

https://www.indygamingleague.com

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So as a 3 week-ish player now, I probably shouldn't just smash my face into ranked playlists over and over again while pretending I'm getting better, right? If I want to get good I actually have to... get good

also after all that time I finally went up against an actual smurf smurf last night and holy gently caress, the level of control is unreal

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

At 3 weeks, you're probably learning a lot from just playing (how the car works, the physics, etc.) so grinding is fine. You'll "need" to go into Freeplay and/or Training eventually, as you'll most likely hit a skill ceiling, but if you're having fun in games, I wouldn't feel obligated to go do boring old training packs just yet...

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have never done a training video or much freeplay in my life. I just play until I do a little better. I'm sure a bunch of people way back at the beginning had to put up with my poo poo play for a while, but I got in at the start, so most other people were poo poo too.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Join the Discord and ask for help. There's a channel just for that, #TryHardZone, the pinned message has links to tons of good videos on things to work on. Post a replay file and you'll get suggestions on what to look for and what to work on.

When g/g games start up, join in. A ping will go out (usually evenings US time is when they pop up), and join a private match with username goon password goon. Once you're the server it's just 3v3 or 2v2s, when the next match starts Auto up and join a team and have fun. You'll get some good advice.

In the short term to get out of bronze and silver play more defensively than you think you should. Everyone is going to be running to the ball like a bunch of 5 year olds playing their first soccer game. Just wait for the ball to pop out and clear it towards the other team's net.

It takes a while for things to click because it's a bunch of new concepts, no other game works the way Rocket League does so you're pretty much starting from scratch. But once things click you'll climb up, and it is super satisfying. Hitting your first good aerial goal, making a good save, reading an opponent coming at you, devising a plan, then executing, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I think I'm at the point where some training things would be very useful but I get so loving bored and have no investment while trying to jump off a wall and carry a ball 30,000 times in a row