Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s also Tony’s complaint in “Remember When” about Paulie never bothering to get a legitimate source of income for tax purposes, plausible deniability, etc. A lot of guys also count on that sort of thing for an income stream that won’t dry up because of an investigation or bust. Paulie relies solely on scores, no matter how small and/or petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think Paulie is struggling. I think he's just greedy and any time he feels like he's being shortchanged on money he's going to bring it up.

"I need that money for my long range planning" is just his way of seeing he wants he feels like he has earned. I doubt he actually "needs" that money. But if he admitted that Tony would tell him to gently caress off, so he makes a stink about how he actually needs the money.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I'm mostly just mad at him for kneecapping Jason. I don't think he really needed to do that for the money, it was just his hosed up way of processing emotion.

You gotta love the show though, for tricking you into almost feeling a little sympathetic for Paulie, with the scene where he has to step out into the hallway to cry after Jason's mother pleads for his life, and you think that maybe he's about to have some kind of breakthrough. But then it reminds you that no, this guy still sucks actually, shame on you for forgetting that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They do something similar with Benny. He was becoming almost lovable, and got a bunch of sympathy after Phil cracked his skull open, but then “Luxury Lounge” comes around where he’s cheating on his pregnant wife and pulling a credit card scam at loving Vesuvio of all places.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There’s also Tony’s complaint in “Remember When” about Paulie never bothering to get a legitimate source of income for tax purposes, plausible deniability, etc. A lot of guys also count on that sort of thing for an income stream that won’t dry up because of an investigation or bust. Paulie relies solely on scores, no matter how small and/or petty.

Well he had his Barone recycling position for years so hes not totally without legit income. He just didn't replace it when the company was sold.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GoutPatrol posted:

The mob itself is like a huge loving pyramid scheme. These aren't the Scarface millionaires, and the people only 3-4 rungs down the totem pole are living like they got two minimum wage jobs. And if someone who has read enough mob books can correct me, that's basically how it was on the real thing in the 70s-80s. Ralphie, the biggest earner they had, was living in a post war in a lovely apartment in northern jersey, not even a detached split level!

What? Ralphies home where he makes Tony eggs looks pretty nice?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well he had his Barone recycling position for years so hes not totally without legit income. He just didn't replace it when the company was sold.

One of the best shots in the series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vichan posted:

One of the best shots in the series.

This man deserves to be honored in the museum of science and trucking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Paulie kneecapping Jason Barone always stuck with me. Yeah the guy's got some family money from the sale of the company and probably a decent income on top of that, but how many people could (or would) just fork over 48k a year to some rear end in a top hat in another state for no reason whatsoever?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Characters like Jason Barone, Sal Vitro, Artie, Adriana, the waiter, the witness protection guy are all there to remind you that no matter how much you love the main characters, they are all pieces of poo poo that deserve the worst.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Paulie kneecapping Jason Barone always stuck with me. Yeah the guy's got some family money from the sale of the company and probably a decent income on top of that, but how many people could (or would) just fork over 48k a year to some rear end in a top hat in another state for no reason whatsoever?

Yeah that one really sucks. Even before that, Jason was stressing about how he was going to manage because he was about to have to sell the company at a loss, so you get the impression he's not exactly swimming in wealth; now he just barely scrapes out of that hole and he has to come up with $4,000 month to Paulie because he was in a bad mood and just kind of thought he could get away with it.

veni veni veni posted:

Characters like Jason Barone, Sal Vitro, Artie, Adriana, the waiter, the witness protection guy are all there to remind you that no matter how much you love the main characters, they are all pieces of poo poo that deserve the worst.

Totally, and I appreciate it about the show. It happens often enough to ground you back in reality, but not so often that it beats you over the head with it, at least not in my opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, it's effective. I mean, Paulie is one of my favorite characters on the show, but I was still kind of disappointed that he actually survived the series lol.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

veni veni veni posted:

Cossette

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

She clearly just crawled under there for warmth

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Matt Zerella posted:

What? Ralphies home where he makes Tony eggs looks pretty nice?

This is again me growing up in North Jersey and knowing the areas. I went and looked up the shooting location, his place is in Little Falls. Like...the top earner should be doing better. Shithole may be too strong a word...very modest for a man of his supposed income.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, it's effective. I mean, Paulie is one of my favorite characters on the show, but I was still kind of disappointed that he actually survived the series lol.

Guys like Paulie probably fantasize and fetishize the violent death of legendary gangsters and probably aspired to someday leave the world in a similar fashion, which is why living til he’s old, decrepit, and forgotten in Jersey, like Bobby’s dad, is a fate worse than death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ruddiger posted:

Guys like Paulie probably fantasize and fetishize the violent death of legendary gangsters and probably aspired to someday leave the world in a similar fashion, which is why living til he’s old, decrepit, and forgotten in Jersey, like Bobby’s dad, is a fate worse than death.

The funny part there is Bobby Sr. had a much more impressive rep than Paulie. Paulie's still known for jacking a load of his nickname's sake.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

This is again me growing up in North Jersey and knowing the areas. I went and looked up the shooting location, his place is in Little Falls. Like...the top earner should be doing better. Shithole may be too strong a word...very modest for a man of his supposed income.

I men, I’m from Long Island, so not too far and that house looked fine to me. Dude owned a racehorse.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I men, I’m from Long Island, so not too far and that house looked fine to me. Dude owned a racehorse.

His maid owned a racehorse. Ralph aint no dummy when it comes to hiding his money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gotta live modest if you're only declaring a modest income! Ralphie ain't no sucker.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ben Kingsley is so good in this show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

His quiet,"....fucccccccck..." to his assistant is such an amazing line delivery :allears:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

It kinda reminds me of the celebrities that go onto Curb and then act like huge rear end in a top hat versions of themselves. I love it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

His quiet,"....fucccccccck..." to his assistant is such an amazing line delivery :allears:

That preceded by him seeing Chris and Murmur on the plane and threatening to lose his composure for just a hair of a split second before pasting a polite smile back onto his face was some incredible face acting.

I'll also never get enough of how easily lying to save face comes to the characters on this show. Chris reporting back to Tony "he was crazy about us but he wasn't right for the project" was just great.

I also really enjoyed the moment of Artie and Charmane in the kitchen at the end, where Artie playfully but firmly shoos her away with "out!" as he slips back into chef mode and she quietly leaves him to it. I'm not quite 100% sold that Artie earned that reconciliation (it kind of just happens off screen between episodes, doesn't it?) but it's a sweet moment and I love it nonetheless; someone in this show deserves to have a happy ending at least.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Artie, he's an idiot but I think he wound up in a pretty good place all things considered. He made it through being friends with Tony, and not many people can say that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Someone post the Artie at crazy horse hand thing gif.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was there some scene where Tony meets some guy at a diner and he gives him a painting and then Tony has him killed for snitching or did I just fabricate the whole thing. It's been forever since I've seen the show and I might not have even finished it

e: it's not the horse painting I don't think

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there some scene where Tony meets some guy at a diner and he gives him a painting and then Tony has him killed for snitching or did I just fabricate the whole thing. It's been forever since I've seen the show and I might not have even finished it

e: it's not the horse painting I don't think

That happens, yeah. It's Dick (i think) Barone, the guy who runs Barone sanitation and got flipped by the FBI into an informant (he was wearing a mic under his hat, I think). It was a painting of the rat pack and Tony threw it off a bridge

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Matt Zerella posted:

Someone post the Artie at crazy horse hand thing gif.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

That happens, yeah. It's Dick (i think) Barone, the guy who runs Barone sanitation and got flipped by the FBI into an informant (he was wearing a mic under his hat, I think). It was a painting of the rat pack and Tony threw it off a bridge

The hilarious tip off was him saying he thought Tony lost weight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Tony didn't have him killed though iirc. Doesn't he die in the final season from natural causes when Jason inherits the company?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I've seen this gif so many times every person's expression is engraved into my memory. Hilarious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Tony didn't have him killed though iirc. Doesn't he die in the final season from natural causes when Jason inherits the company?

I had the wrong character! It was Jack Massarone, not Dick Barone, and he ran a construction company, not trash. I don't think Barone ever flipped.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

lmao

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I loved Tony storming in angry because he wasn't able to tell if someone was lying or not after declaring he'd be able to tell.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Was it even a painting, I thought it was one of those tacky mixed-media/collage things you see at Bed Bath & Beyond and wonder who on Earth buys that crap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I had the wrong character! It was Jack Massarone, not Dick Barone, and he ran a construction company, not trash. I don't think Barone ever flipped.

Ah. yeah. I had the two of them mixed up as well. Massarone was such a non character that when all that poo poo was going on I was like “who is this guy again?”

Human Tornada posted:

Was it even a painting, I thought it was one of those tacky mixed-media/collage things you see at Bed Bath & Beyond and wonder who on Earth buys that crap.

Haha yeah, it was some sort of insanely gaudy collage. Tony also loved it until he realized he was being played.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I loved Tony storming in angry because he wasn't able to tell if someone was lying or not after declaring he'd be able to tell.

It would have been far too comedic but I almost wish they'd just gone straight from,"I'll be able to tell if he's lying..." to him storming back into the room going,"What am I? A loving mindreader!?!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

it was some lovely Rat Pack painting thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished the end of season 6A on my rewatch and I remembered that the first time I watched this show, I knew that the ending was divisive, but I somehow didn't know there was a season 6B, so I was like oh yeah I guess that's a little sudden. What little I knew...

Also, not gonna lie, seeing a scene of a bunch of friends and family sitting indoors together for the holidays is hitting a little hard right now