Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Game 1 was the only one in 2019 where they got blown out, and in general their offense was a way bigger issue against Houston than the defense in 18 and 19

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Yeah Harden wasn't all that good in 2019 once the rest of the team figured out the scheme, Utah just shot like 10% on wide open catch and shoot threes.

Meanwhile Gobert and Favors both shot .665ts%, gingerly placing the ball into the hoop as pj tucker headbutted them in the thighs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

I was talking with a scout who was convinced that drop bigs like gobert and lopez were going to become increasingly useless in the playoffs and the future was mobile bigs who could switch.

this is thing people have been saying since like 2010 did you really need a scout to tell you it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

I was talking with a scout who was convinced that drop bigs like gobert and lopez were going to become increasingly useless in the playoffs and the future was mobile bigs who could switch.

Judging by the way teams draft, scouts strike me as being very like doctors and most kinds of academics, in that they know a lot about their subject but are extremely prone to chasing trends anyway

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

dokmo posted:

All my Gobert takes are just a warm up for my take that the Sixers should build around Simmons and trade Embiid

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

DeimosRising posted:

Judging by the way teams draft, scouts strike me as being very like doctors and most kinds of academics, in that they know a lot about their subject but are extremely prone to chasing trends anyway

I think of it more like Scouts are playing a metagame. They're seeing what players are coming into the league and the skills they possess and trying to build on those strengths or counter them.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MourningView posted:

this is thing people have been saying since like 2010 did you really need a scout to tell you it

I forgot to mention this was a jazz scout.

Edit not a current one

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The rockets don't beat the Cavs if they made the finals that year and Rudy stinks

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

So Rudy's gone.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Ahh yes, that does change things somewhat

I honestly think he would be a good fit for the Rockets if they want to play 1 (one) big, but I have no clue how to match that contract

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
given how they've built their rosters he must not have been one whose opinion they trusted very much

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I kind of wonder what would happen if Gobert did what Dwight did last year and dropped a lot of weight. Gobert has a lot more athleticism in the tank than Dwight does right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I kind of wonder what would happen if Gobert did what Dwight did last year and dropped a lot of weight. Gobert has a lot more athleticism in the tank than Dwight does right now.

Gobert is not exactly heavy for his height/length, I don't know how much skinnier he could get without being too weak to hold up. He already moves his feet about as well as someone with that frame can I think. Dwight is like 6'9" so it's a little different.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
We don't really think of Gobert as an athletic freak but he kinda is. He moves his feet incredibly quickly and fluidly for a 7'2" guy. The best footwork of any bigman I can think of other than Hakeem (who was 6'11").

The worry with paying him a huge four year $120m deal is if he loses half a step when he turns 30/31/32. Gobert with merely good lateral movement instead of crazy elite is not anywhere near as valuable (not exactly rocket science pointing that out).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I'm not all that confident in him aging well. Ideally I think they should move on its just a hard thing to make work.

Dokmo I think I was mean, I'm sorry. I love you and it's very cool to have a real NBA person posting here, I just thought that was just a funny thing to preface with "a scout told me" given that it seems to border on being conventional wisdom now

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
chickenmedium!!!! You gently caress!!!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thinking of Gobert as "immobile" is a bad read. Gobert's the league's best or second best screener, currently, and shoots a sky high percentage. It's very limited range, but it's insane to think of Gobert as anything other than an asset on offense. And he can't switch, but according to NBA.com's hustle stats, he's contesting like, 3 three point shots a game, which is currently more than Damian Lillard, a superstar guard who plays more minutes.

Gobert is not a stiff.

Declan MacManus posted:

regrettably, the answer is black mambutt

The hell is wrong with you?

"Back Mamba" is right there.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tanglewood1420 posted:

We don't really think of Gobert as an athletic freak but he kinda is. He moves his feet incredibly quickly and fluidly for a 7'2" guy. The best footwork of any bigman I can think of other than Hakeem (who was 6'11").

The worry with paying him a huge four year $120m deal is if he loses half a step when he turns 30/31/32. Gobert with merely good lateral movement instead of crazy elite is not anywhere near as valuable (not exactly rocket science pointing that out).

Hakeem definitely wasn't really 6'11" either.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

"Back Mamba" is right there.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

He’s trying to catch a snowflake in his mouth

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Here is the thing, it is that Modern Basketball and small-ball is in my opinion Bull poo poo and basketball should revert to its purest form where one team happens to have found a semi-coordinated gigantic freak of nature who just destroys everyone by being huge. A few years ago, I watched the FIBA Small Nations finals and Malta annihilated Norway in the final because Norway did not have anyone over 6'8" and Malta had this gigantic 7'5" mutant who they could not stop because he was doing things like putting the ball out of reach by lifting it over his head and shooting over their useless, ineffectual arms. It ruled, and you see that pretty much every other level of basketball where you have freaks lighting up teams by being too big and now in the NBA every single team is either a little guard or a small forward playing center and they all switch and the teams all Do Assets and it is lame as hell. In a real basketball league, every year Boban would be the MVP because it would be illegal to make him guard perimeter shooters and he can just anchor himself to the paint like a mythological creature somehow chained to a mountain and swat pathetic layup attempts and also goaltending would be legal so they couldn't shoot threes. Look, I'm not a monster. You can have Steph Curry and Dame, and even the vile and disgusting James Harden. The NBA needs to sell sneakers to small children. But in a real basketball league, any team attempting to put a 6'5" guy at center because he's "switchable" so he can do Sloane Conferencing for 35 minutes a night would get smashed as an unfathomably enormous guy who has to wear prescription shoes has stuck out his arm and the smaller player is helpless to lunge at the ball. I am available for speaking engagements, conferences, and to fill any vacant GM roles in the National Basketball Association.

Here's a vision of what I call Pure Basket
https://twitter.com/DesusandMeroVL/status/1009273382284726272

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here is the thing, it is that Modern Basketball and small-ball is in my opinion Bull poo poo and basketball should revert to its purest form where one team happens to have found a semi-coordinated gigantic freak of nature who just destroys everyone by being huge. A few years ago, I watched the FIBA Small Nations finals and Malta annihilated Norway in the final because Norway did not have anyone over 6'8" and Malta had this gigantic 7'5" mutant who they could not stop because he was doing things like putting the ball out of reach by lifting it over his head and shooting over their useless, ineffectual arms. It ruled, and you see that pretty much every other level of basketball where you have freaks lighting up teams by being too big and now in the NBA every single team is either a little guard or a small forward playing center and they all switch and the teams all Do Assets and it is lame as hell. In a real basketball league, every year Boban would be the MVP because it would be illegal to make him guard perimeter shooters and he can just anchor himself to the paint like a mythological creature somehow chained to a mountain and swat pathetic layup attempts and also goaltending would be legal so they couldn't shoot threes. Look, I'm not a monster. You can have Steph Curry and Dame, and even the vile and disgusting James Harden. The NBA needs to sell sneakers to small children. But in a real basketball league, any team attempting to put a 6'5" guy at center because he's "switchable" so he can do Sloane Conferencing for 35 minutes a night would get smashed as an unfathomably enormous guy who has to wear prescription shoes has stuck out his arm and the smaller player is helpless to lunge at the ball. I am available for speaking engagements, conferences, and to fill any vacant GM roles in the National Basketball Association.

Please close the thread until next season begins, this is the perfect post

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If they add the rule where the ball is live once it hits the rim, that could be a happy medium.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is the Bulls fault! For years the greatest basketball insight anyone could come up with was You Can't Teach Height but then they won a bunch of titles behind a sociopath who was only normal person tall instead of Has a Pituitary Disorder Tall and suddenly every tall kid wanted to dribble and shoot jump shots and now all the sweet slow tall boys are being banished to the adriatic league

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Is okay mangles we've killed Morey its over

Its over

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here's a thought, what if you took nba players and forced them to have like a 2.5 foot rim. Like really low. Then all the 7 footers would have longer shots. Think about a whole league of mugsies. It would be great because you'd watch them play and be like "they're not that short" but then you'd see them stand next to a 5'11" coach and be like "man this league has some freaks"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Here's a thought, what if you took nba players and forced them to have like a 2.5 foot rim. Like really low. Then all the 7 footers would have longer shots. Think about a whole league of mugsies. It would be great because you'd watch them play and be like "they're not that short" but then you'd see them stand next to a 5'11" coach and be like "man this league has some freaks"

okay i'm listening but what are the goaltending rules, if someone throws the ball into the hoop does everyone have to jump out of the way to avoid goaltending? or can you just stand in front of the hoop and block every shot with your kneecaps?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kingcobweb posted:

okay i'm listening but what are the goaltending rules, if someone throws the ball into the hoop does everyone have to jump out of the way to avoid goaltending? or can you just stand in front of the hoop and block every shot with your kneecaps?

If you can pull the ball back through the hoop before it hits the floor it doesn't count. The Rockets pioneer the "lie on the floor next to the basket" defense

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Got me imagining Boban and Jakob Poeltl slamming bods in a 70-68 NBA finals game.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BWV posted:

Got me imagining Boban and Jakob Poeltl slamming bods in a 70-68 NBA finals game.

I wont and you cant make me

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

kingcobweb posted:

Don't make it a 2.5 foot hoop, make it a recessed hole in the floor. You can intercept anything with you arms, but you can't put your feet within so many inches of the hole. Defenders will slowly become shorter and shorter, but with longer and longer arms.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Glumslinger posted:

I wont and you cant make me

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The perfect player will be 300 lbs with no volume

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Talk about gravity

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

euphronius posted:

And his name is Boson Bosonovic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
mangles this world you want already exists and it is Luka Garza's Big Ten

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

R.D. Mangles posted:

agreed, this is the ideal form of Hoop

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

creamcorn posted:

agreed, this is the ideal form of Hoop

I can’t stop watching it

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Look at buddy when buddy get up... he actually get up quite far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is in the OP now.