Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CDPR execs: It’s a demand issue, not a supply one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

lol if they pushed back due to failing cert - you can pretty much guarantee it's going to be buggy as hell when it launches
console cert is a very low bar to clear

I wanna see DigitalFoundry or someone test a physical copy without letting it download the day 1 patch to see what kind of shambolic state it was in when they went gold

Bonus points for testing it on a base Xbox One

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
All the people speculating that Samsung 8nm is garbage and not making enough dies are probably just full of poo poo. This is not how foundries work, yeah yields can improve over time but basically what happens is like >1 year ago Nvidia placed an order for X amount of wafer starts and that is the current supply bottleneck. It takes about that long to get production going, there are no shortcuts, they can't just suddenly double or triple production, everything takes multiple months to get rolling. This is the primary reason why cut down dies exist in the first place, because the time it takes to start production is so long and expensive it is way cheaper and faster to just make one big die that you then cut down/harvest into the smaller ones. Nobody builds a foundry with the goal of satisfying peak demand, they build it to satisfy aggregate demand. Trying to hit peak demand would be a foundry that would be 10% utilized 90% of the time which would be a total economic disaster for whoever owned it.

If you keep that in mind, then from the way the drops are happening in the channel and the way they are talking about the product stack, it really looks like everything is working normally. Yields are probably fine, the G6X supply is probably fine, there is no "shortage" of anything that is limiting production. It is literally just 6 months worth of people wanting to buy a 1 month supply of cards. Like how many times do they have to say "it is a demand problem" before all these conspiracy theory idiots actually listen?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and for the people minimizing crunch
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321140689309175808?s=20

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Do people get overtime pay when they crunch with that much overtime? I'm not sure if game devs are paid hourly or annually like managers or system admins around here.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

buglord posted:

Talking out my butt warning, grain of salt, i am an idiot etc:

Didn't someone upthread mention that placing an order for videocards in factories has to be done 9-12 months in advance? Because these factories have other customers reserving space and resources, its kinda hard to call them 3 months prior to release and say "actually we need quadruple the output, stat".

No, you're pretty much right. Yields tend to get better the further into production you get, but you absolutely can't call up a fab and ask for more chips in the next quarter.

If you want to be seriously conspiratorial about it, Saukkis's idea isn't impossible: if yields are actually pretty solid, and they're producing enough chips that exceed 3080 specs but don't quite make it as a 3090, they could release those as a 3080 Ti for $1000 or whatever and up their profit per card by a couple hundred bucks, at the expense of further constraining the 3080 supply. They could probably not worry about the lovely cost:perf ratio because right now everything's selling instantly regardless.

I do wonder if "poo poo, we could have asked for more" is part of why we haven't seen any 3080 FE drops in a bit--if they're allocating most of their chips to AIBs right now because they actually make more money that way vs selling as the FEs, which between the low price and the HSF is probably a very thin margin item for them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Indiana_Krom posted:

Like how many times do they have to say "it is a demand problem" before all these conspiracy theory idiots actually listen?

People not having anything to do and perpetually swimming in bad news has ramped peoples emotional investment in gaming toys to absolutely insane levels. The fervor for gaming products news, and rumors about every little thing, is astounding. It's not just PC stuff, the PS5 sold more in 12 hours of presales than the PS4 sold in 12 weeks, for a console that basically does not have any launch titles. There is the constant AMD/Nvidia/intel conspiracy theories and rumor mongering (and return of disphit fanboyism for billion dollar multinationals), the cyberpunk fervor, the skyrocketing costs for vintage stuff on ebay, etc. People are bored and desperate for escape and hope.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
very rude of these sites to do benchmarks and not include my gtx 970

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AirRaid posted:

even released Cyberpunk branded 2080Tis...

this is seriously lol in hindsight, by the time of launch they are going to be what... sixth fastest card available?

should have held off six months and called them "cyberpunk 3077"s instead

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Cygni posted:

People not having anything to do and perpetually swimming in bad news has ramped peoples emotional investment in gaming toys to absolutely insane levels. The fervor for gaming products news, and rumors about every little thing, is astounding. It's not just PC stuff, the PS5 sold more in 12 hours of presales than the PS4 sold in 12 weeks, for a console that basically does not have any launch titles. There is the constant AMD/Nvidia/intel conspiracy theories and rumor mongering (and return of disphit fanboyism for billion dollar multinationals), the cyberpunk fervor, the skyrocketing costs for vintage stuff on ebay, etc. People are bored and desperate for escape and hope.

Whoa whoa

Whoa now. Demon souls PS5 counts as several launch titles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Verviticus posted:

very rude of these sites to do benchmarks and not include my gtx 970

The 1060 3GB is pretty close to the 970 and still tends to get included in comparisons, just use that as a proxy

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/35.html

~4x speedup :pcgaming:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

repiv posted:

The 1060 3GB is pretty close to the 970 and still tends to get included in comparisons, just use that as a proxy

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/35.html

~4x speedup :pcgaming:

lmao that owns thank you

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Wq2FPz-rs
a straight up comparison of RTX on/off for Watch Dogs: Legion showing how lovely the game looks even with all the bells and whistles on

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not a fan of the character models in Watchdogs, but I think it looks good overall. Looking forward to playing it Thursday.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

finally, a button to make everything look slow and choppy

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Someday I will get a 3080, shortly before the world is awash in the cleansing fire of nuclear war

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rusty posted:

I'm not a fan of the character models in Watchdogs, but I think it looks good overall. Looking forward to playing it Thursday.

The models look like a total disaster. Literally like stop motion animated or something.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MikeC posted:

The models look like a total disaster. Literally like stop motion animated or something.
Yeah, I am not quite sure what is going on there, but it is kind of jarring against the rest of the game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
looking forward to playing cyberpunk 2077 on my RTX 7080 after beating star citizen

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

shrike82 posted:

a straight up comparison of RTX on/off for Watch Dogs: Legion showing how lovely the game looks even with all the bells and whistles on

Horizon Zero Dawn might have started as a lovely port PC and turned into an OK port after patches, but holy poo poo it looks a trillion times better on a basic "makes humans happy to look at it" level.

Having a good visual style counts for a ton.

e: Also some of that animation is just incredibad, yeah.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 28, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rusty posted:

Yeah, I am not quite sure what is going on there, but it is kind of jarring against the rest of the game.

They seem very stiff. Like they're all walking around with their grandmother just out of scene yelling at them to stand up straight or something. Real people don't move like that normally.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Someone needs to make a Game Design Off / Game Design On video with a WD:2 on the left and (take your pick of non-garbage open world games) on the right. It's absolutely amazing to me how not only does the game itself look incredibly bland, but the RT effects are basically meaningless. Jesus what a disaster.

I honestly don't understand how people keep buying Ubisoft's garbage.

shrike82 posted:

lol if they pushed back due to failing cert - you can pretty much guarantee it's going to be buggy as hell when it launches
console cert is a very low bar to clear

I mean I think that's just CDPR history. IDK why anyone would buy a big-rear end RPG at launch and expect it to not be a buggy mess. The way CDPR doesn't penalize you for not preordering makes it extra imprudent to be in such a rush, but... humans dumb.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 28, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Someone needs to make a Game Design Off / Game Design On video with a WD:2 on the left and (take your pick of non-garbage open world games) on the right.

They had us fooled with Odyssey which was actually good somehow. Siege looks decent, but that's only after spending like five years fixing the horrible mess it was for the first 3+ years.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

To be fair, that's quite possibly why it's being given away with Ampere cards.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Pros: the ray traced reflections look nice.

Cons: everything else, and when there isn't anything reflective in the scene to take advantage of the RTX features I literally can't notice a difference between RTX on/off.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MikeC posted:

Aren't they proceduraly generated? And isn't the voiced dialogue synthesized as well?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I liked Watch Dogs 1 and 2 and think Legion looks ok? Obvi not ground breaking but it’s not a FPS so whatever. I’ll get it on sale. Alright cya.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Pros: the ray traced reflections look nice.

Cons: everything else, and when there isn't anything reflective in the scene to take advantage of the RTX features I literally can't notice a difference between RTX on/off.

Yeah, I guess uh, shoutout to whoever worked on the lighting system that looks almost exactly like the RTX alternative? Nice work?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MH Knights posted:

Aren't they proceduraly generated? And isn't the voiced dialogue synthesized as well?
Oh that makes a lot more sense, seems like you're right and would explain a lot. I know people think it looks bad, but the videos of the open world I watched looked pretty good, so I'll play it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there're a bunch of open world games that look better - genshin impact, immortals feniyx ryzening, ac: valhalla, cp2077 (at some point)
WD has an interesting conceit of being set now but they've never really made good on it

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have genshin impact installed, not really my thing though. I got this game for free and it's out in two days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

sean10mm posted:

e: Also some of that animation is just incredibad, yeah.

The player character looks like they dookied their pants and are trying to walk home nonchalantly without making a bigger mess. Also the faces remind me of the doughy potato faces that The Sims 3 had.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
What's this about a 3080ti now? There isn't enough supply for the 3080s and now there's a ti? What's in the ti? I can only imagine how limited the ti numbers are gonna be. We're never getting cards are we.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vasler posted:

What's this about a 3080ti now? There isn't enough supply for the 3080s and now there's a ti? What's in the ti? I can only imagine how limited the ti numbers are gonna be. We're never getting cards are we.

It's a demand issue. By shifting some of the demand away from 3080s and into 3080Ti's, more people will get their 3080s!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

literally can't tell the difference between the two other than rtx having slightly shinier/sharper reflections on glossy surfaces.

like aren't these raytracing extensions supposed to enable global illumination and self-shadowing and poo poo? who cares if all it does is make windows a little glossier

calling it now: rtx is this generation's hairworks. (dlss is this generation's programmable shaders)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RTX is going to end up being like 3D movies, for every Avatar/Control there will be 20 Thor/Watchdogs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Vasler posted:

To be clear, it's at this point just a rumor based off another rumor that NVidia is doing some stuff with a chip that would sit in between the existing 3080 and 3090 chips.

There has been no independent, let alone official, confirmation of this. The "leak" is from the same guy who, while he did have some accurate information about the 3080/3090, has also reported info about stuff like the 3080 20GB, which if it ever existed as anything more than an entry on a spreadsheet of "SKUs we're considering" has now been canceled. So don't take it as a done deal, is what I'm saying.

Sagebrush posted:

calling it now: rtx is this generation's hairworks. (dlss is this generation's programmable shaders)

Call it what you like, but NVidia, AMD, Sony, and Microsoft are all-in on making RT work. NVidia's ahead right now, but RT is absolutely coming whether you want it or not.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I'm gonna throw my watch doges code I got with my video card into the freakeing toilet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fwiw though watch_doge 2 also just looked fine, not ugly and not stunning, just fine, but it was a ton of fun. the first mission has you harassing a guy who looks exactly like martin shkreli and at one point you break tom cruise out from a scientology compound and the main plot is essentially to destroy facebook. it's quite possible that this game also will be fun despite not having killer graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The DF guys seemed pretty impressed with what Sony has done with RT. It's just going to be part of gaming at some point since console makers are all in.