Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/SilverNumber1/status/1321258165082705921

I guess that's how much longer this Dark will run for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

karmicknight posted:

Is Nick wearing a straitjacket?

I think that's the idea. He's an escaped maniac, from the woods

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

hobbs is a crazy athlete

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
dark shouldnt be longer than dynamite maybe lol

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

LARIAAAAAATOOOOOOOO

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That’s a great looking frog splash.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
JESUS :staredog:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

BEEF DROP FOR THE VICTORY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nice of his opponent to roll across the ring to get into position for the Frog Splash

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chamberlain looks and feels like he fell out of like... lower midcard WCW right before the nWo showed up.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I could listen to Taz burying Darby's gimmick all day

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Chamberlain looks and feels like he fell out of like... lower midcard WCW right before the nWo showed up.

That's exactly it. Holy moly.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the aew powerplant

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

team jeans

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hobbs is gonna be the biggest baby face in the company at this rate

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Slab of meat, defender of the twink.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
Judging by the way he sells things, even for a jobber, I can't wait for Darby to be the first person in AEW to have to vacate a championship due to injury.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

punchdaily posted:

Judging by the way he sells things, even for a jobber, I can't wait for Darby to be the first person in AEW to have to vacate a championship due to injury.

Dahby wins it at FG, has a match on Dark against *spins wheel* Ten, injures himself and then it's Cody vs *flips coin* Brodie Lee for the belt

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

punchdaily posted:

The FTW championship might honestly be perfect for him. Who's going to demand he vacate an unrecognized title?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AEW needs to sign Limelight

https://twitter.com/unitedwrestling/status/1321265953439576065?s=20

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

they have 40 white guys what can do flips

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vince MechMahon posted:

It’s very easy to forget how fuckin BIG Jake was when he was at his prime.

I'm late but Jake Roberts is one of the only wrestlers I have met in real life

dude is loving huge

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm late but Jake Roberts is one of the only wrestlers I have met in real life

dude is loving huge

Can also verify, also he has the eyes Quint described in Jaws.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm watching at the moment and I like how they are introducing other commentators on Dark like Ogogo and Miro, to give them something to do when they aren't wrestling. It makes them so versatile. I also like how Excalibur and Taz tried to incorporate Miro into the commentary.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I've posted in the wrong thread and am removing the post to put it elsewhere. This is what the post says instead of what it did say.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if this episode of dark had commercials it would have been 3 hours long

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oh but seriously I posted:

they have 40 white guys what can do flips

He's Puerto Rican.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Oh hey, Anthony Ogogo is allowed in the country, he has a very BBC Sports voice.

1) Top Flight vs Grayson and Uno. Love Top Flight's look. They have some neat double team moves too. Stu Grayson continues to be the most slept-on guy in AEW. Top Flight really look like they belong in the ring. This isn't the longest match but it's action all the way through. AEW definitely should take a look at these guys.

Ogogo is pretty good on commentary thus far. Needs polishing but he's confident and usually has something to say.

2) VSK vs Ricky Starks. VSK off to a hot start. Obviously this is a Starks showcase but VSK definitely has something. Christ, Starks is just so picture perfect on some stuff. I'd like to have seen more from VSK here

Eddie Kingston and the Bunny promo. The "I just got bored" part works as justification for Bunny being back with b&b

3) Lee Johnson vs Matty Sydal. Does Johnson have new music? Sydal is very talented but I'm still not sure why he's here. Match is just great, Johnson keeps up with Sydal throughout and nails some great looking stuff as the match goes on. Ogogo feels like he's warmed up on commentary, and was having fun.

4) Hikaru Shida vs Leyla Hirsch. There is something that just feels so RIGHT about Hirsch in an AEW ring. Shida will be defending the title at Full Gear against Insert Name Here! Wow, that early headlock from Hirsch is great. Sightly worrying spot where the ref checks on Hirsch. Nice strike exchange between them too. Someone in the thread said to put Hirsch in a match with John Silver, and I have great news for you... Some superb submission work here. This is a really good match and very different from a usual Shida match. Miro really added to it with his subtle rooting for Hirsch.

QT promo about the Bunny. He and Dustin are a bit mumble mouthed here. Give me a B&B/Nightmares match please.

5) Jurassic Express vs Jersey Muscle and Danny Limelight. Limelight is one to watch, he has been superb in NJPW Strong. Limelight has some beautiful finesse to his moves. He and Jungle Boy look great together. Jersey Muscle have a good look, they remind me of Team Angle back in the day. This is a fun multi-man, nothing technically astounding but all very watchable. Limelight has some real pyrotechnic high flying spots. Launching Marko for a flying yoshitonic was awesome. Really fun match.

6) SCU vs TH2. These guys have grown on me so much on Dark. Letting Angelico lean into the submissions stuff really works. Classic SCU lineup. I feel like SCU are going to win but TH2 deserve to. Takes a while for these teams to mesh, and while they're working on it Taz and Miro basically do a podcast. I love how TH2 move as a team. Really smooth match until the end, which was just a dog's dinner. Post-match beat down was good. Let's do this again on Dynamite.

7) Anna Jay vs Katalina Perez. Brandi out on commentary. That sure is a look for Katalina Perez. Ooh, great new ring gear for Anna. Thanks for acknowledging John Silver's hunkiness, Brandi. gently caress, that back kick from Anna was devastating. Anna has improved fast. Haven't seen much from Perez so far. She's competent but not spectacular. Queenslayer for a quick win but a solid outing for Anna.

8) Peter Avalon vs Brandon Cutler. The real main event. No count out, no DQ. Leva looks so sad. "For the love of God, this contest is scheduled for one fall". Cutler starts HOT in this match. It really can't be overstated how good both of these guys are. Avalon goes hardcore early. I love the commitment to giving us a PPV quality match here. A proper garbage can spot! Leva just looks so sad and awkward. Jesus, that close backdrop through the table could have gone SO wrong. "Some people like PHYSICAL MEDIA!". Cutler empties a dice bag like thumbtacks, I love it! YES! LEAVE HIM BATES! This match pays off everything it sets up. Bucks are finally out for their friend! CUTLER WINS! I'm very satisfied with this. 1-25-2. Genuine feel good moment.

9) Best Friends vs Max Caster and Anthony Bowens. Caster with a mic. Well, his name's Max Caster and he's here to say, this would work much better with a backbeat, 'kay? They could workshop this into something pretty easily. Bowens and Caster are a smooth team together. Caster's reversal of a swinging DDT was really good. People sleep on Trent's explosive power.

Backstage with Scorpio Sky. OK, the wrecked room is interesting.

10) Fuego Del Sol vs Brian Cage. Rip in peace Fuego. Ricky Starks on commentary. Great innovative moveset from Cage, and I'm glad they give Fuego a bit of shine before his murder.

11) 10 vs Sean Maluta. Notice that Reynolds doesn't come out here, presumably recovering from the injury on Dynamite. 10's new mask has a strong Hallowicked vibe. Maluta has some solid strikes. Short but hard hitting match. I sort of love that 10's finisher is just a regular move hit ludicrously hard. Love 5 and 10's double team finisher.

12) Ivelisse and Diamante vs KiLynn King and Savannah Evans. LOVE Evans' look. The MMA styling really works. Nice synchronised offense to start. Ivelisse literally having to climb Savannah Evans was fun. I could get behind a twin towers team in the women's division. Some really good back and forth as Evans gets mobbed, then a great hot tag to King. End was a bit out of nowhere, but this was enjoyable.

13) Aaron Solow vs Sonny Kiss. I like Sonny's semi casual look here. Solow plays heel very effectively. It's amazing to compare Sonny now to Sonny even six months ago. His strikes are amazing, he moves through a match so much more smoothly. He's getting it and he's getting great. Solow's another guy who could slot straight into the mid card if you needed him to. Solid short match.

And then Archer comes out to murder everyone. Jake gives a weird but solid promo. Archer cuts a great one of his own.

14) Will Hobbs vs Nick Comoroto. Attack of the beef. Hot start from Comoroto but Hobbs shuts him down fast. Love his frog splash, very Eddy like.

15) Darby Allin vs Alex Chamberlain. Wideboi enters the ring. Match isn't much, but Chamberlain playing possum was good. I agree with Taz that Ricky should make more videos. Chamberlain shapes up as a good bullying indie heel, letting Darby fight from underneath coffin drop on the guy in the ropes was good. Match ends the way one would expect.

Starks comes out with murder in mind. Cage out too, and we build further towards Stark and Cage vs Hobbs and Allin.

This was two decent shows welded together. Everything up to Cutler / Avalon was Dark 1. Everything after was Dark 2. Seen as that, enjoyable, but a bit of a forced march when taken all together.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Best part of Dark was when Leyla flipped off Austin Gunn.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Best part of Dark was when Leyla flipped off Austin Gunn.

Flipped Off Jones

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Shida vs Leyla was honestly good enough they could have thrown it on TV to replace the Abadon match they can't air

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

heel turn posted:

Flipped Off Jones

:hmmyes:

I love when people storm into the ring like they own the place. See Starks in his debut, KiLynn, Shawn Dean, etc.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Give me Leyla and Shida nuking each other with forearms all day. That ruled. I want to see Leyla vs. Tay now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lamuella posted:

Darkthoughts

Oh hey, Anthony Ogogo is allowed in the country, he has a very BBC Sports voice.

I was getting strong Premiere League commentary vibes from him and it was absolutely working for me.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

I was getting strong Premiere League commentary vibes from him and it was absolutely working for me.

"Uuuuuuuuunbelievable, Taz"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

rantmo posted:

And its liiivvvveeee

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"Well, Brian. I hit my opponent, first time, and there he was lying flat on the canvas."

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Lid posted:

Seriously thought how did they spend that much on that advertising blitz in the last few weeks and then delay it? There is some serious budget and communication issues there.

This is pages back, but I'm reading through as I catch up on DARK, CDPR didn't notify any of their publishing partners that handle physical retail releases, which would be WBGames doing all that ad spend , of the incoming delay. Nor did they notify any of their developers beforehand but they got a company-wide email the moment the tweet went live. Supposedly it's because the game's performance on the launch xbone and PS4 are understandably dogshit to the point that it fails certification on one or both of those platforms.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my favorite thing about dark is that they're allowed to just experiment wholesale with the commentary. i really enjoy listening to the stream of consciousness calls and the commentators just having fun playin it loose. its a major part of why i loved pwg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

my favorite thing about dark is that they're allowed to just experiment wholesale with the commentary. i really enjoy listening to the stream of consciousness calls and the commentators just having fun playin it loose. its a major part of why i loved pwg.

and yet i don't think we've gotten chuck on the comms yet. a tragedy that must be rectified.