Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

https://youtu.be/jb4R1kJOTqE

Youtube for the Day is Leif Jonker's Darkness from 1993. This recently got a restoration Blu-ray by Arrow, but watching it as grainy as possible is part of the charm imo. It's by no means a masterpiece and reads like a pastiche of Near Dark and Evil Dead, but it was made by a few 19 year olds for $5,000 in 1991 and it's wild some of the stuff they pull off here. That punk DIY spirit and an unbridled love of horror really earn at the least a one-time viewing if you're into anything I referenced here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I love that Darkness was shot on film, but they couldn't pay for a proper transfer for home video, so Jonker projected it on a white poster board in his basement and videotaped it with a camcorder, and they used that copy as the master for the VHS. I remember renting it and thinking it was originally shot on video.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was watching Army of Darkness for the umpteenth time, and noticed something I never noticed before: when Evil Ash introduces Possessed Sheila, and she removes her veil, there's a Deadite behind her fluffing out her hair.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don't know if this was posted but John Carpenter's got a new album coming out and the first single came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AA4oZ8URA

:getin:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
God I hope he does another tour. Like... late next year, once it's safe. Or, well, y'know, realistically 2022...

Aw poo poo. I'm never going to get another chance to see him live, am I?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rageaholic posted:

Don't know if this was posted but John Carpenter's got a new album coming out and the first single came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AA4oZ8URA

:getin:

Second, actually - Unclean Spirit is the first, it came out a couple of months ago.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

"old, black and white, heavy on mood"

Strongly recommend looking into these to see if they interest you/yoru friends might dig them:

Curse of the Demon (1957)
Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
Kuroneko (1968)
Onibaba (1964)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1922)
Vampyr (1932)

Thanks for this list. I’ve seen some but look forward to the ones I haven’t.

I ended up screening The Innocents (1961), which was on YouTube in a pretty great print. I have to say, the movie was excellent. One of, if not the best ghost story I’ve seen on film.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Thanks for this list. I’ve seen some but look forward to the ones I haven’t.

I ended up screening The Innocents (1961), which was on YouTube in a pretty great print. I have to say, the movie was excellent. One of, if not the best ghost story I’ve seen on film.

thanks in turn for this post, gonna fire up The Innocents tomorrow!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Random observation, I'm watching The Adams Family for the first time in years and I'm looking at the opening credits saying to myself "hmm these feel like they're very similar to Men in Black, I wonder if someone on MIB liked these and ripped them off"

Come to find out The Adams Family is also a Barry Sonnefeld film. Weird how that stuff works sometimes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

any other AusGoons know where i might be able to stream Carpenter's Prince of Darkness ? it's not even available for rent on youtube, crazily enough

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just discovered a streaming service called Shout Factory and amongst other stuff it has episodes of Elvira, MST3K, and something called Cinematic Titanic. And man I wished I had discovered this earlier in the month but I'm now one step closer to an Challenge of X Horror Hosts.

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/film/horror

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shout factory is the king of horror

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cross-quoting from the comics thread:

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe's web archives
Elevated Horror

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Which of the new Blumhouse movies on Amazon Prime are good? I just watched The Lie and it was decent, but it's 1. not horror and 2. extremely loving depressing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

My Twitter Account posted:

Which of the new Blumhouse movies on Amazon Prime are good? I just watched The Lie and it was decent, but it's 1. not horror and 2. extremely loving depressing.

Weird, that one seemed like their flagship movie for this new Blumhouse spookadoodle thing. What makes it not horror ? In spoiler free terms I mean

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I watched Nocturne and it was capital B Boring

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Weird, that one seemed like their flagship movie for this new Blumhouse spookadoodle thing. What makes it not horror ? In spoiler free terms I mean
I guess it depends on how broadly you define horror. It's psychological drama/suspense, not so much scary as just grim.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You might consider The Lie a horror if you consider Jawbreaker a horror. Even then I'd still consider Jawbreaker more in the horror genre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Posting from like 4 pages back to say that if you didn't like Hubie Halloween you're wrong. It's the second good movie Adam Sandler has ever been in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s loving trash and has no plot.

Unless it ended the same way Uncut Gems did, I’ll never finish it lmao.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Hubie Halloween but I had to watch it with subtitles to understand a single word Sandler was saying. But once I had the subtitles on the stuff he was saying was actually pretty funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Which of the new Blumhouse movies on Amazon Prime are good?

From what I understand, none of them.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Hubie Halloween but I had to watch it with subtitles to understand a single word Sandler was saying. But once I had the subtitles on the stuff he was saying was actually pretty funny.

I watched this with the GF last night, she appreciated it much more than Joe Bob doing Haunt as a feature lol. I personally didn't mind it either, I wasn't expecting the next October staple but it was a decent watch, don't feel like I wasted my time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
anyone got some new found footage movies to check out?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

yeah how bout you FIND some FOOTAGE from a decent subgenre! Hah!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

oh im filming my found footage right now.... outside your window is my current shot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

oh im filming my found footage right now.... outside your window is my current shot.

Rob and I are trying to relax and watch horror movies hes very tired of paparazzi please respect our privacy

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

I liked Murder Death Koreatown a lot, I haven't seen anything else more recent

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

how about you find my foot-age in your rear end-age!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked Murder Death Koreatown a lot, I haven't seen anything else more recent

This looks loving baller. Thanks

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow, craft legacy is terrible. I'm not shocked but script is so bad.

The coven use a spell to make a bully "woke"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 29, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wow, craft legacy is terrible. I'm not shocked but script is so bad

I still can't figure out if it's a sequel or a remake? The Craft is one of my favorite movies and I'm tempted to watch this but if it's just a remake I'll pass.

Hot take: there's never been a good PG-13 sequel to an R-rated movie.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I still can't figure out if it's a sequel or a remake? The Craft is one of my favorite movies and I'm tempted to watch this but if it's just a remake I'll pass.

It is classified as a sequel due to very final scene

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 29, 2020

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

National Lampoon's European Vacation :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

National Lampoon's European Vacation :colbert:

I will second this

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i havent seen that one :thunk: or the original :thunk:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1321844814145638407?s=19

Jesus christ, I don't think I've ever seen tragedy film come out while tragedy is still happening

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Enough of that trash. Here's a palette cleanser, a teaser for Halloween Kills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_NGjpJxX9c

Also, concept art from the Gremlins prequel which is I'm sure going to be very heartwarming:

https://twitter.com/thetzechun/status/1321842767149076480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is classified as a sequel due to very final scene

I'm gonna take a stab at it

whoever the bad witch is in this one ends up in a mental asylum next to Faruiza Balk's character?