Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

I'd prefer the John Corben mercernary version where he's maimed until being rebuilt with metal and Kryptonite. Maybe have him be a victim of the end of the Man of Steel catalycism. Give him a personality and a real grudge, and maybe have Batman realize where his paranoia and hatred could take him.

Also the cartoon gave him a cool Australian accent

I think some people were expecting Scoot McNairy's character to end up being Metallo for this very reason.

Scoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Brandon Routh: Please keep my massive hog a secret, no one can know

more like hugerman

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jason Derulo said they had to edit out his dick in Cats because it was just too big. I don’t see anyone requiring an NDA about that though and I don’t believe him anyway.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/SlayerofCis/status/1250813357571158017

https://twitter.com/SlayerofCis/status/1250813744856412166

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I mean, wouldn't every guy be like "lol massive dong here guys had to edit out the weenus"?

Not me, though. Make sure the nubbin casts accurate shadows

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Brandon Routh: Please keep my massive hog a secret, no one can know
By day, Mild Mannered BRANDON ROUTH is a typical Hollywood actor.

But under the NIGHT RADIATION of DUSK, his slumbering dong undergoes a massive metamorphosis turning him into Big Donger!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is my gift.

This is my curse

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Derulo has been caught photoshopping his bulge on Instagram before, he is probably just massively insecure.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That shot from the trailer from Superman Returns, but instead of the bullet being crushed against his eye, it's his crotch.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

wizardofloneliness posted:

Jason Derulo said they had to edit out his dick in Cats because it was just too big. I don’t see anyone requiring an NDA about that though and I don’t believe him anyway.

It's technically true, but not for the reason he thinks. All the actors' bodies were entirely replaced with genital-less CGI, so everyone's dick was edited out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That doesn't look like anything to me.

Insane how good the old DCAU stuff was. Also they could adapt the Corbin/Metallo thing straight and make a drat good Superman movie, too bad McQuarrie never got his crack at it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So is Morbius ever gonna come out?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
What's the deal with Moon Knight anyway? What makes them an interesting character?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Edit: wait no that's taskmaster

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

What's the deal with Moon Knight anyway? What makes them an interesting character?

Well you see he’s schizophrenic, has multiple personalities, may be powered by an Egyptian moon God that is a figment of his imagination, is kind of like Batman but also an rear end in a top hat and....

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Freakazoid_ posted:

He's essentially Batman but believes that he's a champion of an ancient god named "Kohnshu". He's tough as balls, has loads of moon-themed gadgets and is exquisitely violent.

He's legitimately mentally ill and that gets treated as a joke most of them time. Most likely he's a paranoid schizophrenic but some versions have the god stuff be real.
Unlike Batman, he wears white because he wants people to see him coming. He loves terrifying people by being a relentless force of violence.

Taskmaster (who can copy anyone's fighting style by quickly observing them) says he won't copy Moon Knight because (I'm paraphrasing) "He's not interested in dodging attacks. He wants to bleed because that makes him scarier."

edit: I love Moon Knight because when he's treated well, he's a lot like the better Deadpool stories. On the surface it's all wacky violence and swearing but he's actually in a lot of mental anguish and doesn't know how to deal with it.
MK isn't a wacky character per se but there's just enough about him that's odd so lots of people in-universe don't take him seriously. He's more likely to lean in to his mental illness because it gives him a justification for his violence.

Mix Batman, Deadpool and The Punisher into one dude that is just crazy for moons and pyramids.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 27, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I was thinking about the mentally ill stuff. The options are either they remove all of that or do it poorly and then get in trouble with the internet right?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unmature posted:

I was thinking about the mentally ill stuff. The options are either they remove all of that or do it poorly and then get in trouble with the internet right?

It's unlikely they will keep it in.
The safest route is to make the Konshu stuff in his head but keep it vague about it being an illness or real.

Mental illness used as a reason for violence sucks and is really outdated.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a showdown in one of the recent story arcs where he uses his specially made armor ( that helps him avoid damage by locking components into place so that they absorb the brunt of the force of an attack rather than his body) to prop up a collapsing building and then keeps fighting the supervillain in his underwear.

Also what everyone else said.

He's basically an example of a character that was underused and/or widely ridiculed for so long that writers could do whatever they wanted with him and ended up writing some fairly interesting, entertaining, compelling stuff that you couldn't get away with if the hero in question was Spider-man or even like...Luke Cage.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then the most recent story for him is Moon Knight running around beating up other super heroes during the Super Moon and stealing their powers like Megaman so he can punch a hole in satan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inzombiac posted:

It's unlikely they will keep it in.
The safest route is to make the Konshu stuff in his head but keep it vague about it being an illness or real.
Legion Season 1 did this really well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inzombiac posted:

So is Morbius ever gonna come out?

Already tried:

https://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/a33684/jared-leto-claims-that-he-is-gay/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's basically an example of a character that was underused and/or widely ridiculed for so long that writers could do whatever they wanted with him and ended up writing some fairly interesting, entertaining, compelling stuff that you couldn't get away with if the hero in question was Spider-man or even like...Luke Cage.
It's this! There's more to Moon Knight than "Marvel's Batman, in white" but you can do stuff with Moon Knight that you could never do with Batman. (After the Warren Ellis helmed relaunch in 2013, I would tell people that Moon Knight is the best Batman book currently being published.)

It reminds me of a Mightygodking quote about how Punisher works in the Marvel universe in a way that would never work in DC, because most Marvel superheroes don't have the wherewithal to track him down and stop him, and people in power (like Nick Fury) would rather figure out a way to exploit him. Likewise, Moon Knight doesn't ask you to accept all the things that seem implausible about Batman even in the context of a cape comic. Y'know how people will point out that Batman is just a psychotic war criminal? Moon Knight's origin story is that he was a psychotic war criminal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Moon Knight is one of my favorite characters and I have loved him ever since his second series in the eighties which literally showed him hanging from a rope ladder on the MoonCopter (yes, like Thanos, he has his own sweet heli-ride) and karate kicking a guy.

This poo poo was like nerd catnip to me. So I feel somewhat compelled to make an effortpost about him.

Moon Knight started out as a werewolf hunter in a cool-rear end 70s book called Werewolf by Night. He was the bad guy (the titular Werewolf was the protagonist). He looked so dope and was so compelling they gave him his own series and it did juuuuuust well enough that they kept trotting him out every so often.

His earliest stuff basically makes him a sort of Batman analogue. He definitely doesn't start that way - he's a former CIA guy turned mercenary named Marc Spector in Egypt who gets fed-up with the brutish ways of his co-workers and tries to help some civilians. This ends with him being beaten to near-death for his troubles. After languishing for a bit in a near-coma he suddenly snaps out of it. The first thing he sees is an Egyptian statue of Konshu, a god of Vengeance - and so he grabs the white sheet that is partially covering the statue (it was being prepared for shipping) and uses it as a sort of cowl while he takes on his former co-workers and saves the day.

However he quickly relocates back to New York and we suddenly find out that he made a ton of money from investments and has a mansion and poo poo and takes on the identity of Steve Grant, a playboy. He also occasionally drives a cab as Jake Lockley, a sort of working class guy. He uses this identities to investigate the usual 80s street level crime stuff and then dresses up as Moon Knight to stop it. Moon Knight likes to scare people and break their fingers and such. If you're thinking this sounds pretty goofy, well, yeah it is. The series did not last too long. A second series followed that changed up this formula, then a third, and a fourth, and so on...I think we're at six limited series now?

Moon Knight can be a pretty compelling character, which is why he keeps coming back. He has a lot of fun stuff in his character toolbox.

First of all, there is an element of *brain problems* with the character, but what those elements are - they change from author to author. It's all some flavor of mental illness but some of it is played for mystery and others are silly. The early stuff, for instance, has Marc Spector getting confused about who he *really* is, if he's really a billionaire playboy or a cab driver or a vigilante (who wears white because "I don't hide, I want 'em to see me coming"). At a later point Brian Michael Bendis made him think he was one of the Avengers (as well as hallucinate them, Fight-Club style). I'm going to be honest: IMO they never did anything good with this kind of thing, it just seemed kind of sad to see a guy talk to people who clearly aren't there. However, the other element they sometimes play with - and that is much more fruitful IMO - is a fun question: is this guy actually possessed/being helped by Konshu? As in, when he woke up under the Konshu statue in Egypt was it really because an old diety took an interest in him and wanted to grant him vengeance? Some writers have a lot of fun with this, because it's all written as though it could either be an extremely smart capable guy who has very bad PTSD and just gets lucky sometimes or a perfectly sane dude who literally has a shamanistic relationship with an old-school god at their side.

Secondly, Moon Knight is a very protean character. He changes around a lot between his various incarnations. All of his series start from completely different points and go from there. Let me give a couple of examples. This is his circumstance at the start of some of his series:

His legs are injured, he's confined to a wheelchair, and everyone hates him after he deliberately kills his number-one supervillain (like if Batman killed the Joker)
He is a movie producer in Los Angeles helping to produce a show about his adventures
He's jettisoned his identities and is now Moon Knight full time, trying to make amends for his former brutal ways. He leans even more into the gadgets side of thing
He's a private detective called Mr. Knight who consults in supernatural cases with the NYPD
He's in an asylum and being told that "Moon Knight" was a character he made up during a dissociative episode

Three, there's an element of the absurd to him, which is reinforced by Marc's constantly-changing circumstances and his status as an unreliable narrator. Again, certain authors have a lot of fun with this, and write issues that could either read as "an Egyptian god inspires this guy to right a hidden wrong" or "a dude flips out and beats up a guy for no reason".

So as you can see, being a "Moon Knight fan" is very much being a fan of the concept of an "unreliable narrator vigilante cape story", since the character has such a wildly varied comic history with so many wild and weird reversals being part of the canon. Hopefully they will play to the strengths of the character and not fall into the trap of "Schizo Batman" or "looks really cool but is exactly like every other street level cape"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz drew the covers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He drew the interior art as well, and it was very good.

Moon Knight has done some pretty cool stuff with visual storytelling, and it will be a big shame if Disney uses their usual blando house style on it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Moon Knight has done some pretty cool stuff with visual storytelling, and it will be a big shame if Disney uses their usual blando house style on it.

I never really had context for Moon Knight beyond "a more supernatural Batman," but yeah, it sounds like he's a character who'd really benefit from some ambitious weirdness in the storytelling, like Legion or Maniac or American Gods. Confusing subjectivity, or not-naturalistic aesthetic style, or odd and jarring editing...anything to convey the unreliable and abnormal mental state of the character. But absolutely, Disney-Marvel isn't into that poo poo. Even Dr. Strange needed to keep everything as motivated and comprehensible as possible so you always knew exactly how to feel.

Maybe WandaVision will completely shatter my assumptions about how weird they're willing to go, but I doubt it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Moon Knight is one of my favorite characters and I have loved him ever since his second series in the eighties which literally showed him hanging from a rope ladder on the MoonCopter (yes, like Thanos, he has his own sweet heli-ride) and karate kicking a guy.

This poo poo was like nerd catnip to me. So I feel somewhat compelled to make an effortpost about him.

Moon Knight started out as a werewolf hunter in a cool-rear end 70s book called Werewolf by Night. He was the bad guy (the titular Werewolf was the protagonist). He looked so dope and was so compelling they gave him his own series and it did juuuuuust well enough that they kept trotting him out every so often.

His earliest stuff basically makes him a sort of Batman analogue. He definitely doesn't start that way - he's a former CIA guy turned mercenary named Marc Spector in Egypt who gets fed-up with the brutish ways of his co-workers and tries to help some civilians. This ends with him being beaten to near-death for his troubles. After languishing for a bit in a near-coma he suddenly snaps out of it. The first thing he sees is an Egyptian statue of Konshu, a god of Vengeance - and so he grabs the white sheet that is partially covering the statue (it was being prepared for shipping) and uses it as a sort of cowl while he takes on his former co-workers and saves the day.

However he quickly relocates back to New York and we suddenly find out that he made a ton of money from investments and has a mansion and poo poo and takes on the identity of Steve Grant, a playboy. He also occasionally drives a cab as Jake Lockley, a sort of working class guy. He uses this identities to investigate the usual 80s street level crime stuff and then dresses up as Moon Knight to stop it. Moon Knight likes to scare people and break their fingers and such. If you're thinking this sounds pretty goofy, well, yeah it is. The series did not last too long. A second series followed that changed up this formula, then a third, and a fourth, and so on...I think we're at six limited series now?

Moon Knight can be a pretty compelling character, which is why he keeps coming back. He has a lot of fun stuff in his character toolbox.

First of all, there is an element of *brain problems* with the character, but what those elements are - they change from author to author. It's all some flavor of mental illness but some of it is played for mystery and others are silly. The early stuff, for instance, has Marc Spector getting confused about who he *really* is, if he's really a billionaire playboy or a cab driver or a vigilante (who wears white because "I don't hide, I want 'em to see me coming"). At a later point Brian Michael Bendis made him think he was one of the Avengers (as well as hallucinate them, Fight-Club style). I'm going to be honest: IMO they never did anything good with this kind of thing, it just seemed kind of sad to see a guy talk to people who clearly aren't there. However, the other element they sometimes play with - and that is much more fruitful IMO - is a fun question: is this guy actually possessed/being helped by Konshu? As in, when he woke up under the Konshu statue in Egypt was it really because an old diety took an interest in him and wanted to grant him vengeance? Some writers have a lot of fun with this, because it's all written as though it could either be an extremely smart capable guy who has very bad PTSD and just gets lucky sometimes or a perfectly sane dude who literally has a shamanistic relationship with an old-school god at their side.

Secondly, Moon Knight is a very protean character. He changes around a lot between his various incarnations. All of his series start from completely different points and go from there. Let me give a couple of examples. This is his circumstance at the start of some of his series:

His legs are injured, he's confined to a wheelchair, and everyone hates him after he deliberately kills his number-one supervillain (like if Batman killed the Joker)
He is a movie producer in Los Angeles helping to produce a show about his adventures
He's jettisoned his identities and is now Moon Knight full time, trying to make amends for his former brutal ways. He leans even more into the gadgets side of thing
He's a private detective called Mr. Knight who consults in supernatural cases with the NYPD
He's in an asylum and being told that "Moon Knight" was a character he made up during a dissociative episode

Three, there's an element of the absurd to him, which is reinforced by Marc's constantly-changing circumstances and his status as an unreliable narrator. Again, certain authors have a lot of fun with this, and write issues that could either read as "an Egyptian god inspires this guy to right a hidden wrong" or "a dude flips out and beats up a guy for no reason".

So as you can see, being a "Moon Knight fan" is very much being a fan of the concept of an "unreliable narrator vigilante cape story", since the character has such a wildly varied comic history with so many wild and weird reversals being part of the canon. Hopefully they will play to the strengths of the character and not fall into the trap of "Schizo Batman" or "looks really cool but is exactly like every other street level cape"

I was surprised to see here that the character first appeared in the 70s because so much of the stuff about him is like something from The Shadow or other just-pre-Batman pulp characters.

Moon Knight is one of those characters I never actually read anything of myself just seen him pop up in other characters' stories, is there a particular starting point you'd recommend or a best Moon Knight thing overall?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 28, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was going to pop back in to post about that! A lot of pulp characters had multiple aliases, and/or a cast of supporting characters who were experts in some specific field. Doc Savage and The Shadow did both.

I would just start reading the 2014 series that started with six issues by Warren Ellis. It does get into his history of burning identities and allies but without drowning you in continuity. The follow-up series by Jeff Lemire gets even deeper into the psychological aspect, where Moon Knight goes back and forth between being a mental patient, an actor in a Moon Knight movie, and even more fantastical stuff.

Edit: The original Moench/Sienkiewicz series is very readable and has great art.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 28, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well it just depends. There's probably a Moon Knight story you'll enjoy, and probably quite a few you won't.

Generally the two best-liked ones are:

From The Dead, a six-issue series by Warren Ellis that revamps the character as a sort of detective who solves problems that other heroes wouldn't bother with. He generally does something different in each issue; it's very procedural. It also has an extremely strong Ellis Voice; every character talks like Warren Ellis. There's some real fun visual storytelling in here, some nice odd situations, and Moon Knight is a legit weirdo in some of the stories, so that's fun.

The other one is The Bottom by Charlie Huston. Huston was a legit crime fiction writer tapped to bring back the Spirit of Vengeance and writes a gritty tale of a Moon Knight whose best days are behind him. The art on this book is ludicrously and gloriously 90s (even though it was written in the mid-2000s) and the plot beats are something that a 16 year old would come up with if you said "hard boiled superhero". But there are some really fun ideas at play here, and the premise that the story starts with the hero truly and thoroughly beaten down by hard circumstances and their own self-pity is a nice premise.

There has been some recent activity on Moon Knight as well, and while it's not bad I'm not sure I would recommend reading it cold.

One thing I can say is to stay away from the Brian Michael Bendis series; IMO it's a complete disaster. It takes a GREAT premise (moving Marc Spector, who has always had trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, to Los Angeles) but then completely throws out the character's history of alternate identities to shoehorn in the loving Avengers! Plus, it fridges a very cool disabled superhero. Not recommended at all.

The older series are really cool if you like Bill Sienkiewicz art but IMO the storytelling can be a little rough. They aren't horrible or anything, they are very readable and there's some legit cool stuff (one story arc prominently features the character's Jewish identity, which was unusual in the early 80s) but overall they are skippable unless you're a real Moon Knight kook.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

At a later point Brian Michael Bendis made him think he was one of the Avengers (as well as hallucinate them, Fight-Club style). I'm going to be honest: IMO they never did anything good with this kind of thing, it just seemed kind of sad to see a guy talk to people who clearly aren't there.
Yeah, this really fell flat with me. Moon Knight losing himself in Steve Grant and Jake Lockley had some genuine pathos that is totally lacking when he's just talking to an imaginary Spider-Man and Wolverine.

I used to play Marvel: Avengers Alliance obsessively, and for whatever reason, that was the version of the character that made it into the game. It was actually really fun to play, though, and your SHIELD Agent PC character could get a fun set of weapons based on it. He'd randomly switch personalities, which would give him a bonus to a different type of attack, and his playstyle was based on stacking a Retribution buff that could be spent on free Batarang Crescent Dart attacks or unleashed all at once with a big beatdown. It actually mirrored the way he tends to defeat villains by totally losing his poo poo. One of my regrets from that game being shut down was that we never got a Mr. Knight variant costume for him.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think The Shadow would be a good TV series. He’s like Batman meets Dr. Strange.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well just a gentle reminder that the old pulp heroes were made for radio serials, so yes they all generally have very good story plumbing that makes them work well in any kind of ongoing series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Obviously these panels aren't real but did Dracula ever actually owe Moon Knight money and did Moon Knight ever come to collect?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
S.H.I.E.L.D. had a flashback to ancient Egyptian Avengers, including Moon Knight and Apocalypse, fighting the Brood.

S.H.I.E.L.D. owns.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BJMendelson/status/1321185952841273346

Oh, why would Disney help support Chris Pratt of all people, I can't imagine

Never forget, this is the true face of Disney beneath all the family friendly bullshit

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The United States posted:

Obviously these panels aren't real but did Dracula ever actually owe Moon Knight money and did Moon Knight ever come to collect?

No, it's an homage to a very real comic from the 70s where Dr. Doom hires Luke Cage to beat up some robots for $200 and skips town before paying him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, it's an homage to a very real comic from the 70s where Dr. Doom hires Luke Cage to beat up some robots for $200 and skips town before paying him.

Upon which Cage "borrows" a Quinjet from the Avengers to pursue Doom to Latveria. It's a classic second only to "I command you to WANK!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How can anyone be surprised that a big corporation is supporting the politics that will benefit them the most? Disney is doing what 99% of all big corporations are doing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No I meant that the panels are edited, in case the swearing didn't make that obvious.

I don't know where these originally came from, but has Moon Knight ever run into Dracula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Oasx posted:

How can anyone be surprised that a big corporation is supporting the politics that will benefit them the most? Disney is doing what 99% of all big corporations are doing.

The politics that benefit them the most are bad, that's why people get mad about it.