Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Digital signatures literally only exist to satisfy boomers.

Well, there are actual no-bullshit digital signatures if you get into areas where track-able sign offs are important. But those will involve poo poo like a chipped ID card that is the actual credential providing the signature.

But comparing that to the signature pad at a 7/11 isn't really a fair comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only place I ever make an attempt at a signature beyond a vague squiggle is voting and signing a paper contract like for a lease

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i used to work phones at a delivery company and had frequent discussions with delivery people over the signature. "who'd you deliver to?" "client" "client says they never got it" "nah check the signature" "i did, its someone elses name" "nah that was their name, they told me" "yes but that wasnt the client" "look is there a signature or not"

im not having a go at the drivers here, just another example of signatures being dumb as hell. you can tell theyre useless because when it actually matters, signatures dont count for poo poo unless theres a witness, and then the whole thing hinges on that witness' credibility and the ability to prove that the act of signing was real, in which case the signature is purely symbolic and content or accuracy dont matter. its outdated and just a hassle in most contexts i can think of

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sulla Faex posted:

im not having a go at the drivers here, just another example of signatures being dumb as hell. you can tell theyre useless because when it actually matters, signatures dont count for poo poo unless theres a witness

I guess this depends on jurisdiction but we have problems with signatures all the time at work and if you're the delivery guy and you just get someone to sign and a) you can't make out the name from the signature and you were stupid enough to let them sign without a clarification in block letters underneath or b) got a signature from someone who doesn't work for the receiving party, the receiving party is completely off the hook if they claim they never received the goods. Whether it's then on the delivery company or the sender (or an insurer) to do something about it depends on the incoterms I guess.

e: The last place I worked for had a problem with delivery drivers unloading the deliveries themselves, sneaking in when no-one was in the receiving office, stamping the waybills with the official company stamp, leaving the recipient's copy, and loving off. They do not work in transport anymore (at least around here) as the company refused to pay for any of the poo poo until someone from the sender drove down and could point out where the stuff was. A stamp without a signature is worth jack poo poo on a waybill, apparently.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Oct 28, 2020

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Push El Burrito posted:

Ok but what about the worms? I'm pulling my hair up over here.

But you’re not pulling it out, right?????

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The standard is if I might have to prove that I signed it one day, it gets my careful signature. If they might have to prove I signed it one day, it gets a squiggle. This isn’t tough.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I actually had someone steal my checks and forge my signature on one at a food lion or something. When they mailed me about owing them money I could easily point to the fact that the signature on the check they received is carefully written out, while mine on file at the bank is not at all legible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

vivat virtute posted:

But you’re not pulling it out, right?????

They're pretending to put it into a ponytail

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's all post our signatures! Just be sure to date them with your birthday and your mother's maiden name so we can keep track of whose signature is whose!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We'll need some kind of unique ID. How about credit card number + security code + zip code?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elviscat posted:

Between registering to vote in 2008 and now, I've signed my name literally thousands of times, so it's morphed from a painstakingly written cursive 'Elvis The Cat' to 'E*squiggle* C*squiggle*' with the first letters being big stylized letters, so my signature is recognizable.

I dropped my ballot off today, and I always have to remember to revert to the old signature so I don't get poo poo'o'grams from the State about my signature not matching the one on file.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver recently did an episode about voter suppression which covered the signatures issue, apparently lots of people don't realise that their signature changes over time

(A few posters in the TVIV thread had to be convinced it happens)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know what you probably mean, but an actual digital signature is a very different thing that is infinitely more secure and meaningful than scribbling your name. Sorry, I've just been on a weird cryptography kick this year.

Here's Patton Oswalt on the topic, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lug71C9N8zs

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just use my signet ring with my family crest to sign everything. You usually have to bring your own hot wax though, which can be annoying when there's a line behind you at Home Depot

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Data Graham posted:

They're pretending to put it into a ponytail

Like they do at the YMCA pool

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

I just use my signet ring with my family crest to sign everything. You usually have to bring your own hot wax though, which can be annoying when there's a line behind you at Home Depot

Don't joke: this is basically the system they use in Japan, and it fuckin' suuuucks. You get issued a "hanko", a rubber stamp with your name on it that you use to certify important documents. It's not used that often, but it's a massive hassle if you lose it, it's obviously subject to theft, and it's so incompatible with online processes that there's talk of ditching the whole system.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gleebster posted:

Your name could use some fixin'.

I appreciate you :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

minato posted:

Don't joke: this is basically the system they use in Japan, and it fuckin' suuuucks. You get issued a "hanko", a rubber stamp with your name on it that you use to certify important documents. It's not used that often, but it's a massive hassle if you lose it, it's obviously subject to theft, and it's so incompatible with online processes that there's talk of ditching the whole system.

I'd be interested in just how many security features they use for something like that. It can't just be a regular rubber stamp with regular ink, right?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Even when I worked at a bank decades ago, signature cards were only used when either someone was cashing out a CD or there was a questionable check. Some people seem to think banks carefully check the sig on each one, but you could sign a check Dildo Bugger and nobody would bat an eye unless the account owner said they didn't write it.

Same with the memo line. Nobody reads them at the bank.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd be interested in just how many security features they use for something like that. It can't just be a regular rubber stamp with regular ink, right?

From a quick bit of googling, it's just a stamp, but if you're using it for important stuff it needs to be registered with an authority

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

just like your mom

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

minato posted:

See this would be true if it was like China and people hand carve them rather than buying mass produced ones from the 100 yen shop. Also if you have a surname written in katakana then technically it's not a legally valid hanko as it doesn't match the complexity requirements. Really all they do is let you commit fraud super easy.

Amphigory posted:

From a quick bit of googling, it's just a stamp, but if you're using it for important stuff it needs to be registered with an authority

That may be true of company stamps but I assure you that's not true of normal person stamps (source: lived in Japan for 8 years, wife is Japanese, we've both "signed" some very important contracts with our hanko)
I think that once or twice I was asked to sign by hand rather than use my hanko though that may just have been that they assumed I didn't have one.

ookiimarukochan has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Oct 28, 2020

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

just like your mom

Ok boomer.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MrUnderbridge posted:

Even when I worked at a bank decades ago, signature cards were only used when either someone was cashing out a CD or there was a questionable check. Some people seem to think banks carefully check the sig on each one, but you could sign a check Dildo Bugger and nobody would bat an eye unless the account owner said they didn't write it.

Same with the memo line. Nobody reads them at the bank.

I have heard a story about someone who always signed their name B A T M A N, and it actually became useful when someone tried to commit identity fraud against him.

Note: he was not Batman

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No, he's the one satisfying your mom. That makes him a coomer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

I have heard a story about someone who always signed their name B A T M A N, and it actually became useful when someone tried to commit identity fraud against him.

One of my clients draws really stylized boobs for his signature. He's a multi-multi-millionaire. His reasoning is for that exact situation, but I'm pretty sure he just thinks it's funny drawing boobs on everything.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my clients draws really stylized boobs for his signature. He's a multi-multi-millionaire. His reasoning is for that exact situation, but I'm pretty sure he just thinks it's funny drawing boobs on everything.

If it's dumb but it works, is it really that dumb?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Beachcomber posted:

His name is bruce wayne?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

If it's dumb but it works, is it really that dumb?

I guess not, and he's a really eccentric dude in general. Was neighbors with Hunter S Thompson out in Montana (says he was the most amazing and worst neighbor all at once) and has a bunch of stories of him and Frank Zappa hanging out. Really weird guy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I used to sign the meal sheet in the ARMY as Ghenghis Khan because all those signatures were illegible garbage anyway. Guess who got in trouble during a paperwork audit?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They can't speak to the Great Khan like that

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
My husband signs a lot of stuff with a cute little snail that he draws in one stroke. Nobody's ever complained or told him to stop so :shrug:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Pasketti posted:

My husband signs a lot of stuff with a cute little snail that he draws in one stroke. Nobody's ever complained or told him to stop so :shrug:

i, too, used to commit fraud via fake snail signatures. but the SEC followed the snail trail of my snail mail and nailed me to the jail wall

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sulla Faex posted:

i, too, used to commit fraud via fake snail signatures. but the SEC followed the snail trail of my snail mail and nailed me to the jail wall

Fail

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sulla Faex posted:

Well this just made my day

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A long time ago I spent a few weeks drawing doodles whenever I was asked to digitally sign my name, which was basically any time I stopped by the shopette or BX. I started out simple because I figured that it probably doesn't matter what we put in the box, unless I called my credit union to dispute a charge. Nobody objected, so I continued drawing more and more elaborate things for my signature, as a little joke between me and the card reader, because I thought nobody else was seeing it.

Then one day I was checking out and for my signature I drew a miniature 9/11 with penises flying into the buildings. After hitting OK, the cashier--a really sweet lady who I chatted with regularly--paused, looking at whatever it was on her side, and said "What is this?"

I froze, suddenly extremely aware of the people in line behind me watching this without seeing what I'd drawn, and stammered out "Uh, it's, uh, my signature"

"What?"

"My signature! ha ha, don't worry about it! Just a joke, never mind!

And then she finished checking me out and I never did that again.

Anyway:

psst

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mods please rename me to SMELL MY 4 PUMP LOAD

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Parallelwoody posted:

I actually had someone steal my checks and forge my signature on one at a food lion or something. When they mailed me about owing them money I could easily point to the fact that the signature on the check they received is carefully written out, while mine on file at the bank is not at all legible.

This is actually a thing! Someone committing fraud will do a careful, clear signature, while an actual person just scribbles some poo poo out.
Even more so if there are multiple papers/sigs. The Defrauder will make each sig clear and nice, and the same as possible.

as it's been shown in this thread, people just scribble their name in

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’m not sure I have enough anecdotal evidence from the people in this thread to believe that claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

The Maestro posted:

I’m not sure I have enough anecdotal evidence from the people in this thread to believe that claim.

We could definitely continue this detail for a few more pages if needed.