Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OscarDiggs posted:

I went back a few pages to check and I've not seen anything about it, so I wanted to ask.

Is anyone familiar with Twin Perfects analysis of Twin Peaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

It's a bit of a weird take but as someone who really didn't understand much of season 3 it makes some sort of sense. But it's really quite an "out there" explanation, so I don't want to take it as gospel since I don't really have the grounding to make my own decision.

It is the correct interpretation of twin peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got a coworker into Twin Peaks and she's made it all the way through seasons 1 and 2. Thing is, she's very squeamish about violence and sexual violence. I already told her to maybe give Fire Walk With Me a miss, but thinking back on The Return I don't think the woodsmen crushing heads is gonna fly either. Probably doubtful she's gonna make it past the bloated corpse in episode 1 to be honest.

What other peaks of gruesome stuff are there that I'm not thinking of right now that I could warn her about? People getting shot is probably okay. And I can't in good conscience warn anyone of the trucker scene no matter how sensitive they are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got a coworker into Twin Peaks and she's made it all the way through seasons 1 and 2. Thing is, she's very squeamish about violence and sexual violence. I already told her to maybe give Fire Walk With Me a miss, but thinking back on The Return I don't think the woodsmen crushing heads is gonna fly either. Probably doubtful she's gonna make it past the bloated corpse in episode 1 to be honest.

What other peaks of gruesome stuff are there that I'm not thinking of right now that I could warn her about? People getting shot is probably okay. And I can't in good conscience warn anyone of the trucker scene no matter how sensitive they are.

I mean the creature in the box attacking the watchman and his girlfriend are a hard red flag right there for that kind of thing.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Definitely don’t forget like almost every scene Richard is in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dayna being killed in her underwear in episode 2

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the kindergarten teacher?

E: oh yeah, that was Richard too

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Whats his names head a poppin in the back of the cop car.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
honestly she probably won't like S3 or FWWM they are both relentlessly grim and horrifying spectacles.

except dougie obviously but even that plot has a lot of nastiness (ice picks, the numbers lady, etc)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's kinda the outcome I'm anticipating but as long as she wants to give it a go I'm not gonna talk her out of it. Richard's gonna be a hard sell for sure.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe suggest Mulholland Drive and see how she reacts to that before she dives into an 18 hour show.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Eh, if she liked S1 and 2 then she’ll probably like FWWM and S3 as well. I’d just let her know in advance they both have much more gruesome and disturbing content, but it’s worth dealing with because they’re both wonderful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

not gonna lie, I've never listened to or watched anyone else's interpretation of twin peaks and have next to zero desire to do so

same, i really think lynch stuff is best seen on the surface level, as a series of interesting imagery and weird crap, and trying to dig deeper than some of the more obvious interpretations diminishes the effect of the imagery itself

i dont care why exactly theres a creepy guy behind the diner in mulholland drive, for example. there might be some esoteric reasoning behind it, something hokey about dreams and spirits, but all that matters to me is that theres a creepy gently caress there and i poop my pants when i see him, no further explanation needed

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the deepest i'll dig in that scene is like "the guy wanted to confront his fears to make them go away, but turns out that sometimes the fear is real and confronting it just makes it come closer", i think that's still at the level where you're talking about the effect it has on the viewer, the way the scene builds suspense and frightens you by doing something other movies wouldn't do. i think most people, on first viewing, expected there to be nothing behind the wall, although the way the music builds up makes you feel like it might be otherwise, the timing on when the face appears is also particularly nasty, it happens slightly too early so youre not quite ready to be frightened

this is still an interesting way for me to look at that scene. anything more, where you start to try to explain why it happens or what it says about the guy's dreams or whatever involves things that aren't actually in the scene itself. i feel that this is also how twin peaks (and other postmodern fiction, like pynchon novels and stuff like that) should be approached: don't try to look for "secret" connections that may or may not be there, or try to get an explanation for who BOB is, for instance. just accept that he's a scary guy thrown in more or less randomly based on a camera goof in one scene, and that all the "twin peaks lore" is mostly incoherent, merely scaffolding whose only purpose is to deliver imagery, which is the series' strongest point

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Strongly agree, season 3 especially is best consumed as a fever dream that defies explanation. Nothing wrong with wanting answers to stuff like the cliffhanger or what the deal is with Judy and well basically all of the final episode but interpreting anything on a deeper level for a show like this isn’t for me

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

And there's one episode that I still to this day can not believe actually aired. I have never seen anything like it on tv and rarely in film.

eSporks posted:

Seeing that episode for the first time was pure magic. I have never experienced a TV or movie experience that incredible. This is not hyperbole either, its an amazing and indescribable experience. Lots of other great moments in s3 too, and lets make sure not to spoil it for the pastor.

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, I was mouth agape through almost the entirety of that magical episode, probably the best single episode of a television show I have ever seen in my life.

So, I'm going to guess you were all talking about episode 8, which I loved.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

disaster pastor posted:

The only thing my wife and I could say during the entire episode was "What the gently caress David Lynch" which has now become a meme between us for when anything weird happens.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

insider posted:

The only thing my wife and I could say during the entire episode was "What the gently caress David Lynch" which has now become a meme between us for when anything weird happens.
I swear I didn't blink through the whole episode. Its such a dramatic turn that isn't expected.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

disaster pastor posted:

:hellyeah:

God what a loving incredible episode.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm gonna be the voice of dissent, I absolutely love episode 8, but if I'm forced to choose, I'm gonna say episode 18 is the best episode of the show.

I was on the edge of my seat from the moment they get into the car and start driving, knowing there was not enough time left, and then to have the final scene play out, go dark, and then we go back to the lodge and Laura whispering into Coop's ear. Just thinking about that sequence fills me with so many emotions. Even now if Dark Space Low comes up in my playlist, sometimes I have to skip it because I'm not in a place where I can listen to it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I agree with you there. While episode 8 is a tour de force of awesome, that last episode is just one, long buildup of pure dread that I’ve never experienced from a tv show.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah it whips rear end

igota75
Feb 9, 2006
hopeless in honolulu
Not coincidentally both episodes play that dope “My Prayer” song too

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i will the the other voice of dissent and say i didnt love episode 8 as much as everyone else seems to

i watched the season a while after it aired and had heard that episode 8 was the best, and i just wanted to go back to the story the whole time :)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think knowing ep. 8 might ruin some of the experience. When watching the show live, we weren't even sure if we were going back to the main story. It was so different, so unexpected, so mesmerizing and we were all left thinking "wtf" for 2 weeks (iirc, there was a break and no episode next week). It was such an unusual episode to be left with and pondering.
It felt reminiscent of the season 2 finale that busted the doors open and left you with far more questions than answers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally finished watching all of twin peaks last week, but then was sidelined by all the election stuff.

Some of my thoughts on twin peaks:

Season 1 is great. I didnt get into the pilot as quickly as others it seems, but by episode 3 I was in.

Season 2 was definitely a roller coaster of quality, but even those post Lynch middle episodes had some fun to them (lol horse costume). That last episode was fantastic and I dont know how fans handled ending on such a cliffhanger. I cant help but wonder what would have been had Lynch not left.

Fire Walk with Me is strange, but solid film. Like there is that whole first 30 minutes that barely relates to the rest of the film. And the payoff to those Jeffery scenes doesnt come for 25 years! Was this planned, or just adapted? But yeah, the film really did add to a bit of understanding Laura's tragc, wild life.

The Missing Pieces had some great extra scenes. I am glad it added more of the twin peaks characters. I

The Return is just top quality. I had heard from others to expect the return to be a lot darker than the other scenes. And while true at times, I was surprised by how much of the original humor is in it also. Andy and Lucy are much the same, as well as their interactions with Hawk and others. Wally. Cole and Albert. The Horne Brothers, and everything with Dougie.

I wished we had more of Episode 15/16 Cooper, but Dougie was fun too.

But as well as the humor, Lynch was ok with just bringing right into these moments of people's lives that didnt always have resolution. Shelly/Bobby/drug dealer. The Horne brothers.

There was also a lot of heart with the Norma/Ed payoff, as well as other moments like Bobby reflecting on his dad, or the passing of the log lady. Or Dougie and his family.

There were quiet moments that Lynch had no problem just showing us. Like the floor sweeping, or that awkward FBI smoke break. Or Cooper just driving in the final episode.

Then finally there was the weird that just existed, often unexplained. Of course there is episode 8 and things like teapot Jefferies, but also things like the glass box, the woodsman and hastings, the drug dealer's magic, the girl screaming on the floor of the road house, the sick child in that one car, and everything Audrey.

Still thinking on that ending though. And listening to all the music the third season introduced me to.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

checkplease posted:

There was also a lot of heart with [...] the passing of the log lady.

I'm pretty sure, but can't find the source on it right now, that the last scene with the log lady (and I think all of her scenes for that matter) were shot in Catherine Coulson's actual living room like days before the actress died. I really get the feeling that was Lynch's way to say goodbye to an old friend, as they had worked together since as far back as Eraserhead. Hawk saying goodbye after hanging up the phone really hits me hard on rewatches.

What a wonderful god drat show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s true. They didn’t even have time for Lynch to go there so they hired a local film crew and he directed them/her over Skype

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

checkplease posted:

And listening to all the music the third season introduced me to.

This. Lynch is also a great composer it seems, he wrote not just a handful of the ending songs but a lot of the ambient/environmental music too.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

checkplease posted:

Still thinking on that ending though. And listening to all the music the third season introduced me to.

Chromatics "Shadow" on repeat.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha yeah I was listening to the chromatics and lissie today (love wild west).

I did not know that about the actress who played the log lady. Sad, but nice she got one last chance like this.

And speaking of the log lady, it is funny how she started as this weird character you see in the diner and just adds to the quirkiness of the town of twin peaks. Then by the return she is a prophet of the white lodge.
What's great about this also is that as the viewers, we just accept it. There is a lot of strangness with twin peaks and weird events that go unexplained that we just accept. Compare this to the mythology of the x-files or Lost that left many fans angry.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/david-lynch-to-write-direct-new-netflix-original-series/

A listing for a new Lynch series on Netflix, currently known as Wisteria, in the latest issue of Production Weekly.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

insider posted:

Chromatics "Shadow" on repeat.

Every time I listen to "Axolotl" I just expect someone to start screaming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/david-lynch-to-write-direct-new-netflix-original-series/

A listing for a new Lynch series on Netflix, currently known as Wisteria, in the latest issue of Production Weekly.

Welp, time to raise my expectations unreasonably high!

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I am excited for brand new piping hot David Lynch content

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Welp, time to raise my expectations unreasonably high!

I eagerly await its release and your subsequent write-ups

Btw have you written up Twin Peaks?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was considering doing it but decided to run with Mad Men instead since I hadn't seen that yet. To be fair, I'm not sure just how interesting people would find reading multiple instances of "OH MY GOD GO AWAY JAMES!" for the middle section of Season 2.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
meh just skip season 2 after episode 7 except for the finale

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol if you skip anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem