Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

God I forgot about the Soul King's limbs. When they revealed what his hands were, and then Ukitake tried to replace the king with the hand that was inside of him (or whatever the gently caress that was) I was sure it would turn out that Ichigo had one of the feet. That would explain why he was so fast, and create an ending where Ichigo becomes the new Soul King since he really didn't have anywhere else to go. I am dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best part is that Ukitake sacrificing himself to preserve the soul king literally accomplishes nothing. The very next chapter Yhwach just goes "eh whatever I'll just absorb the hand then" and that not only kills the soul king but empowers Yhwach. It is beyond dumb.

Meanwhile Thor's fight drags out for like three volumes as Zaraki, Hitsugaya, and Byakuya all at various points show off their new powers, only for them to accomplish nothing and the guy to only eventually die because Yhwach gets bored and absorbs his power. Also Hitsugaya's secret power is that when the ice flowers on his bankai melt it doesn't actually mean his bankai runs out or anything, it means that he physically ages by 15 years and becomes an even hotter bishounen character, and also even more powerful. The explanation for why he treated the ice flowers melting like a matter of life or death in previous chapters is, apparently, that he just doesn't like being taller.

Way too much of my brain is devoted to somehow remembering all the dumb poo poo in Bleach.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Reading that summary it feels like Ywach was almost an audience stand in.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FuturePastNow posted:

God I forgot about the Soul King's limbs. When they revealed what his hands were, and then Ukitake tried to replace the king with the hand that was inside of him (or whatever the gently caress that was) I was sure it would turn out that Ichigo had one of the feet. That would explain why he was so fast, and create an ending where Ichigo becomes the new Soul King since he really didn't have anywhere else to go. I am dumb

I don't think Ichigo being fast even really comes up much past Soul Society. Heck, even in SS, Byakuya manages to catch up (or maybe Ichigo starts slowing down cause of injuries + being new to the whole Bankai thing) and Aizen instaslashes him.

And Ulquiorra outsped Bankai + Mask Ichigo, didn't he?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a sword fight a person who is dramatically faster than their opponent should always effortlessly win. hence, everyone ichigo fought from then on was at least roughly equivalent in speed in addition to whatever other gimmicks they might have. the alternative would be for each person ichigo fought to counteract his speed in some way, but like hell kubo was going to put that much thought into it. that's more of a togashi thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ichibe was going to use Ichigo as the new soul king because he's a weird hybrid of shinigami, quincy, hollow, fullbringer, and whatever else. Ywach ended up being used because I guess as the soul king's son he also works. The other candidates with similar properties to Ichigo are (CFYOW spoilers) Hikone and apparently Ginjo.

Sydin posted:

Also Hitsugaya's secret power is that when the ice flowers on his bankai melt it doesn't actually mean his bankai runs out or anything, it means that he physically ages by 15 years and becomes an even hotter bishounen character, and also even more powerful. The explanation for why he treated the ice flowers melting like a matter of life or death in previous chapters is, apparently, that he just doesn't like being taller.

I think it would be more correct to say the fans don't want tall Hitsugaya.

Regarding speed rankings, Byakuya was noteworthy for being on the speedier side of the shinigami and arrancar. It was a thing in his fight with Zomari and his somewhat rivalry with Yoruichi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FuturePastNow posted:

what

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

It's breathtaking that even after reading 53 pages of people talking about stupid poo poo that happened in Bleach after I stopped watching this is still new to me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
They did not show soul feet in the Bleach manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So for all we know they just got a little spectral trail under their shoes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first time Ichigo did the whole standing on air thing it was cool. Later in the series everyone just kind of constantly doing it? Not so much.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So they cut off this guy's limbs, and those limbs grew brains or what's happening here? Did they always have brains? That must have been awkward when he was alive. Imagine trying to eat a bowl of cereal and your left arm and heart want to kill you.

Also Ywach is the father of all Quincy, who is in turn the son of the Soul King? And Ichigo is one of his descendants. But then so is Ishida. So I guess the last arc is just everyone killing Ichigo's extended family on his mother's side.

Remember when Kubo wanted to have a big reveal, so he made Ywach look like Zangetsu just so that he could do "Ever wonder why Zangetsu looks like Ywach???" like it had been something that was being built up to instead of just dropped in at the last second.

I'm still mad that Kenpachi's shikai and bankai was completely useless. Why even include it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

I'm still mad that Kenpachi's shikai and bankai was completely useless. Why even include it?

Don't be mean to Yachiru

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still wish Kenpachi never got a properly named shikai / bankai and was strong without that noise, and that Yachiru was an actual character and not a sword / cookie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up that Kenpachi's sword had her own sword and it had cooler powers than herself.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
How many Zanpakuto spirits could you make out of other Zanpakuto spirits? I assume long as nobody but the last guy in the chain releases their sword you could make infinite zanpakuto spirits.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The funniest part of Bleach to me is how some abilities or items can have all these crazy rules that suddenly stop working because of [spirit power].

You could literally handwave anything in the entire story with spirit power. Any character can do anything, or prevent anything, with it.

Imagine a plot device where sword ghosts are able to have kids if they have enough spirit power. The excess spirit power creates a new soul.

See? You can do anything.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
But what if you have too much spirit power?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You end up fighting a strong bloodthirsty chick who gives you a fight so satisfying you subconsciously lower your power level in the fear that you'll never have a fight that good again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i believe the technical term is murder-gently caress, or in some regions, gently caress-murder.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You end up fighting a strong bloodthirsty chick who gives you a fight so satisfying you subconsciously lower your power level in the fear that you'll never have a fight that good again.

Other side effects include passively killing the souls around you and splitting off a piece of your soul to have a friend.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when Yoruichi was so strong that her sword actually made her weaker so she ditched it? That should have been Kenpachi too. That said, I don't mind Yachiru being his zanpaktou, it's fine, I don't think it makes either her or Kenny less cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was joking, I forgot that Yachiru was actually his zanpakuto

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i believe the technical term is murder-gently caress, or in some regions, gently caress-murder.

Can't believe Zaraki did gently caress-Murder-Kill all with the same person.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Yammy revealed be was actually the strongest Hollow in existence, but then he immediately got casually defeated by Byakuya and Kenpachi?

Also there was that Death guy who seemed like he was going to be really important and I guess he nearly killed everyone, but he was just some rando.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
What was with Yammy’s dog. Did it show up even once before his death?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kenpatchi's bankai just being a berserker state was lazy and uninspired, but that was also when Kubo was basically dying so whatever I guess. IMO either he should have just never gotten a shikai/bankai, or it should have been something with a weird, off the wall power that doesn't directly lend itself to just brute forcing fights like he normally does, which could actually maybe lead to some tactical and character growth. Or if nothing else just result in some interesting fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kenpachi got stuck with the lamest, most ill-fitting opponents among the sternritters anyway. i don't think his bankai could have been particularly impressive without someone decent to use it on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kenpachi got stuck with the lamest, most ill-fitting opponents among the sternritters anyway. i don't think his bankai could have been particularly impressive without someone decent to use it on.

yeah, gremmy was an awful character even by kubo standards and a horrible matchup for kenpachi especially

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

yeah, gremmy was an awful character even by kubo standards and a horrible matchup for kenpachi especially

What? The fight with Grammy was fantastically insane. Not good, but entertainingly bonkers. Kenpachi cut space. Two the same people imaging a meteorite made it twice as strong. It was so stupid it still makes me smile.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gologle posted:

Remember when Yoruichi was so strong that her sword actually made her weaker so she ditched it? That should have been Kenpachi too. That said, I don't mind Yachiru being his zanpaktou, it's fine, I don't think it makes either her or Kenny less cool.

It's a shame Kenpachi and Yachiru never got to fight Starrk and Lilynette. That woulda been some fun symmetry.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the soul king's legs are still out there, somewhere

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FuturePastNow posted:

the soul king's legs are still out there, somewhere

Lt. Dan was the Soul King all along?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The world turns because the Soul King's legs keep running.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

It's breathtaking that even after reading 53 pages of people talking about stupid poo poo that happened in Bleach after I stopped watching this is still new to me.

It's what makes this such a good thread, and I can't wait for the anime adaptation to get "context"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You will still need the context of some light novel that was published for one run 15 years ago in Japan only, or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

chumbler posted:

You will still need the context of some light novel that was published for one run 15 years ago in Japan only, or something.

Bless you Kubo

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Kenpachi's shikai should have been his sword becoming not all hosed up and poo poo so it can cut better, and his bankai should have been him gaining the ability to actually just want to end a fight rather than gently caress around, therefore making him dramatically more dangerous. This is how it should have worked and I can't be persuaded otherwise. His bankai would also give him a comically exaggerated bored expression.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving loved that jagged and chipped sword design. It symbolized Kenpachi that, in a world where everyone is running supernatural abilities and poo poo, Kenpachi was using an lovely sword (that wasn't even his, he just jacked it off someone he killed or something) and his superpower was "using both hands to hold his sword."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well yes, but the idea appeals to me as a continuation of his 'secret techniques' just being the barest step above just loving around.

I guess he could do those things without that. Like if he got pissed off in the middle of a fight because his favorite show was recorded for him, and so or spoils his mood and he stops being charitable with letting his opponent dodge and not being cut into pieces.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 29, 2020