Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was fully expecting that sketch to transition into bad musically comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zvahl posted:

alternate host of cumtown

Hmm well i am bi so i guess this does check out

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zvahl posted:

alternate host of cumtown

she had a ton of "pre woke period" tweets, it was very funny.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

I also found it funny how the jezebel piece cites american hustle as evidence of lawrence's secret chuddery when winters bone the movie that made her a big name is quite literally rural white poverty the movie

Dollars to donuts her family still loves trump and lawrence herself is only declaiming him for social reasons

that movie was pretty good iirc. dont really remember anything chuddy about it tho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

babypolis posted:

that movie was pretty good iirc. dont really remember anything chuddy about it tho

What if we set a movie in a locale that had been simultaneously ravaged by a hurricane, an earthquake, a catastrophic flood, and a volcanic eruption, and we showed the lives of the humans scratching out a living in the wreckage, and we were like "Why did these people do this to themselves??"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

winters bone is less a chuddy movie and more a demonstration of how liberals and cops will never ever help you and trusting them even slightly will just gently caress you over even worse than youve already been hosed

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think Leave No Trace (which is also done by Debra Granik) is a good movie; I think Winter's Bone is a flawed movie.

That is my take on J-Law, who reads kind-of like an apathetic rear end in a top hat sometimes, being a Republican

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i think john mayer is a really good blues guitar player that released a ton of lovely music that never should've seen the light of day

gravity, slow dancing in a burning room, some of his live covers of blues standards, loving awesome

even some renditions of his more poppy songs

but 80% of his catalog is utter poo poo written to get into panties (which i can appreciate at some level. isn't that why we all learn to play guitar?)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

weird feeling realizing that im now older than homer simpson

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dreylad posted:

weird feeling realizing that im now older than homer simpson

imagine being as successful as homer simpson

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zvahl posted:

imagine being as successful as homer simpson

I can only dream of someday owning a three-bedroom single-family detached home

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Homer Simpson? poo poo, Al Bundy is aspirational now

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

not sure how much of a hot take that is when the writers have already pointed out the ridiculousness of homers existence way back in season 8

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
frank_grimes.txt

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Homer Simpson? poo poo, Al Bundy is aspirational now

Al Bundy seems like a wonderful study in class consciousness, and how those on the edge of poverty or worse can be taken in and radicalized against the big-O Other (Al is extremely aggro to women, overweight or non-traditionally female women especially, homosexuals, and just kind of overly regressive in general - though I'm sure some might make the argument that certain aspect of the the character are nothing more than Al Bundy being a product of the 80's/90's).

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

it's every time a character refers to themselves in the 3rd person in Mortal Kombat Blood and Thunder [56K NO WAY]

if you only see one, this is the one to see

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
always love a hat trick

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that has to be the most elegant example ive ever seen of a writer completely failing to write distinctive voices for their characters

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

that has to be the most elegant example ive ever seen of a writer completely failing to write distinctive voices for their characters

It kind of reminds me how tons of lazy X-Men writers always have a characters first appearance in every issue (no matter how popular the character) come with a text-box that states their code-name and power. For instance the first panel of every issue where Cyclops appears will have over his head "Cyclops:Scott Summers, Optic Blasts of Concussive Force", Of course the difference being that there are actually good X-Men Comics where I'd hazard a guess there has never been a good Mortal Kombat comic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

neelix is the most awful useless piece of poo poo character since wesley and every other cast member except the doctor is a bland nobody gently caress, why didn't i listen about voyager

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1321870543130370048?s=20
I haven't seen any version of the movie and I have no plans to. But Geoff Johns being full of poo poo still bums me out a little bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheeee posted:

neelix is the most awful useless piece of poo poo character since wesley and every other cast member except the doctor is a bland nobody gently caress, why didn't i listen about voyager

lol that teh only good voyager character is 'Data, but a jerk'

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I’ve heard tell there’s a problematic age difference between Neelix and his early series girlfriend.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

neelix is like 35 and his girlfriend is like 3

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

voyager is really one of those shows where you should just watch like the 30 best episodes and only slog it out if you are really into completely watching star trek from that era, as I imagine a lot of us here are, so we have, as you are

some of the premises are pretty great

they do a pretty good two parter, Workforce (Season 7, Episode 16 & 17), about the being kidnapped and mind wiped and made to believe they are workers on some planet run by bastards

but there is also a much better stargate SG1 episode, Beneath the Surface (s4e10) about the exact same thing

a whole lot of episodes from stargate sg1's phenomenal seaons 4 and 5 are drawn from star trek premises but are executed so much better

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm watching discovery season 3 and its good actually. like this feels like something star trek should explore. its not morally grey bullshit with cannibalism and dreary war storylines. the show did get better in season 2 but was still pretty middling, but so far i'm ready to call season 3 pretty enjoyable trek

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Serf posted:

i'm watching discovery season 3 and its good actually. like this feels like something star trek should explore. its not morally grey bullshit with cannibalism and dreary war storylines. the show did get better in season 2 but was still pretty middling, but so far i'm ready to call season 3 pretty enjoyable trek

i watched the first episode and it was striking how big of a departure it was

I need to try it again when I can watch a few in one go to feel it out

Serf
May 5, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

i watched the first episode and it was striking how big of a departure it was

I need to try it again when I can watch a few in one go to feel it out

by episode 3 we get a classic trek situation with a classic trek resolution, and overall it felt good to see something that was unironically optimistic out of discovery. thinking back on it, tng and ds9 both had pretty rough first seasons (with the exception of "duet" in ds9, which is imo one of the best episodes of trek ever), so this may just be par for the course.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

im a big star trek dork and season 3 so far has annoyed me the least of all new star trek things. im surprised in a good way

have you watched lower decks? i haven't yet but most of my trek-watching friends, who weren't discovery fans, said its actually pretty good and explores some interesting ideas. i plan on checking it out soon

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

i think I just really miss the poo poo out of episodic television

I have been watching a ton of old TV lately, miami vice, knight rider, magnum pi, banacek, colombo, rat patrol, all this poo poo and it is great, you just put it on and bam you're having fun with your friends and then you say goodnight and the feeling of resolution at the end is so satisfying

Serf
May 5, 2011

i dont think i can get myself to watch star trek family guy ever

its so drat ugly. i cant fuckin stand how ugly american animation is sometimes lol

fair point. it doesn't bother me, but i could see how it would.

also the other star trek family guy (the orville) owns and is better than discovery was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i dont think i can get myself to watch star trek family guy ever

its so drat ugly. i cant fuckin stand how ugly american animation is sometimes lol

ironically the guy who literally makes Family Guy does a better Star Trek

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
wait, I get it for the Orville, but why is Discovery family guy

Serf
May 5, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

wait, I get it for the Orville, but why is Discovery family guy

its not, we're referring to star trek: lower decks, an animated show

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
jesus why

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I have childhood nostalgia for star trek but most of it is pretty awful

The last two episodes of lower decks are the best star trek of the 21st century, low as that bar may be

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

and I've been watching burt reynolds films from the 70s that glorify drunk driving

hooper is the king of this

https://i.imgur.com/ppHyfFe.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Egg Moron posted:

i think I just really miss the poo poo out of episodic television

I have been watching a ton of old TV lately, miami vice, knight rider, magnum pi, banacek, colombo, rat patrol, all this poo poo and it is great, you just put it on and bam you're having fun with your friends and then you say goodnight and the feeling of resolution at the end is so satisfying

you should give Person of Interest a shot, its a recent show but manages to be mostly episodic w/ some minor serial elements, its good