Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

yeah a roguelike shouldnt have meta progression at all, that just makes it into a grind, no different from a lovely rpg or something

the point of roguelikes is that you learn from your mistakes, so that the player gets better at the game and reaches further into it on subsequent attempts, this means that roguelikes need to be complex by necessity which is the main draw, metaprogression kills that

"Old hackers never die, young ones do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

From what I've read on the Internet, Disco Elysium is the video game equivalent of that one novel that all sex criminal men have read, according to some woman who writes a column.

That sounds like a very silly hot button take, but I guarantee the novel is Infinte Jest and that's hilarious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

That sounds like a very silly hot button take, but I guarantee the novel is Infinte Jest and that's hilarious.

You know I think it is. I keep conflating it with "Gravity's Rainbow" so I couldn't say.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sebmojo posted:

Disco elysium

Titanfall 2

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

jokes posted:

Titanfall 2

Is it worth it for the single player alone? I almost got it on Steam awhile back but all the reviews only talked about the multiplayer and I'm not really interested in that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

is pepsi ok posted:

Is it worth it for the single player alone? I almost got it on Steam awhile back but all the reviews only talked about the multiplayer and I'm not really interested in that.

Just chiming in with 'Absolutely'.

Titanfall 2's campaign is really, really good.

e: The multiplayer mixes bots with real players to add to the scale of each battle. It's done perfectly and I have no idea why other MP games don't follow suit.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

being a cop is the biggest power fantasy for closeted authoritarians

this isn't the shockingly stupid opinions thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tango alpha delta posted:

Just chiming in with 'Absolutely'.

Titanfall 2's campaign is really, really good.

e: The multiplayer mixes bots with real players to add to the scale of each battle. It's done perfectly and I have no idea why other MP games don't follow suit.

Because other MP shooters aren’t as good.

But yeah Titanfall 2 lives up to the hype and it costs like a quarter on sale. Do yourself a favor and play it friends.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

That's the one. It's terrible because -- *nobody* who knows -- anything -- about writing....would ever do stupid poo poo like *this* -- it would be goddamn unforgiveable -- in anything but a video game, where for some reason people take writing like....this, which is the grammatical equivalent of having *someone* -- poo poo in your mouth, and claim it's... great.

There is no school, academic institution, business, or publishing house that would EVER let the kind of bullshit that is ALL OVER that screenshot fly.

And googling for other screenshots of the game it seems like they do it constantly.

It seriously makes me angry IRL because it just shits all over the language and it is completely unnecessary.

and yet it effectively communicates the speech pattern of detective kim. Maybe someone needs to just update the rules of the language.

the *italics* are a little strange to me. that's the syntax for italics on git and discord and probably ther things, so it's almost like they forgot to parse the italics or decided not to for some reason and figured this was good enough. Maybe they got so used to reading the asterisks that they forgot. I just see italics.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2020

Woden
May 6, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

yeah a roguelike shouldnt have meta progression at all, that just makes it into a grind, no different from a lovely rpg or something

the point of roguelikes is that you learn from your mistakes, so that the player gets better at the game and reaches further into it on subsequent attempts, this means that roguelikes need to be complex by necessity which is the main draw, metaprogression kills that

My favourite roguelike is Elona where death or bad choices just means more grinding instead of a restart. A lot of the time restarting will get you back to where you were faster than grinding, but it's up to the player.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

poverty goat posted:

playing as a fascist ends up being relatively hard because you end up taking morale damage every time you say nationalist things

The game also makes it painfully clear that you’re only choosing fascism because you can’t handle how pathetic you are, and that’s broadly true of the other fascist characters as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That doesn't sound like Rogue?

in rogue the unlocking happens in your brain, duh

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

That's the one. It's terrible because -- *nobody* who knows -- anything -- about writing....would ever do stupid poo poo like *this* -- it would be goddamn unforgiveable -- in anything but a video game, where for some reason people take writing like....this, which is the grammatical equivalent of having *someone* -- poo poo in your mouth, and claim it's... great.

There is no school, academic institution, business, or publishing house that would EVER let the kind of bullshit that is ALL OVER that screenshot fly.

And googling for other screenshots of the game it seems like they do it constantly.

It seriously makes me angry IRL because it just shits all over the language and it is completely unnecessary.

It's like 95% monologue by one character, so yeah, the writing in this particular scene follows the character's speaking pattern. But I suppose this is an unpopular opinion thread, so you do you, I guess.

Also, I'd like to see what you consider examples of good writing, in video games or other media

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

in rogue the unlocking happens in your brain, duh

Woah

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

See also Supergiant games and why I'm putting off Hades for at least another year. Can't trust the hype.

Hades isn't about the story. the combat is tight as gently caress

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm sure the published novelist and literary magazine editor who wrote Disco Elysium will be heartbroken to find out the OP consigned him to never be published in his life.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waltzing Along posted:

Talos Principle is garbage. What a snoozefest. LOL at anyone who thinks it is universally loved.

Unless you meant Portal 2.

I legit hesitated 'once' trying to solve a puzzle in portal 2, and my wife went "it's above and behind you" and she was right and it was solved. Like the game is excellent in the same way a pixar movie is excellent, but it's also about as challenging.

It's not like The Talos Principle is super hyper clever, but it was good for actually being a puzzle game where you had to solve anything, rather than just "absorb your surroundings and then act in accordance with the language of video games". It also has ARG elements / meta puzzles, that are pleasingly obvious to discover, but compellingly interesting to solve.

I think the difference is like a generic black and white cryptic crossword book vs Where's Wally. (Waldo?) Certainly, Where's Wally is fantastic, and inarguably the more successful at broad appeal, but for some people just not 'enough'.

I don't really think one is strictly 'better', but they're both doing very different things.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wheres waldo is way harder than any dumb crossword

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rutibex posted:

Hades isn't about the story. the combat is tight as gently caress

A couple goons in the roguelike thread have mentioned they don't like the controls though. Literally only 2, but still that's 2 people during the hype phase. I'm not losing too much by just waiting and I'm not made of money so I might as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

right the point of a roguelike is that your first run you get the Flaming Ultimate Weapon +8 off the first earthworm you encounter and then proceed to learn that you take 17hp fire damage per turn when you wield it because, well, it's on fire. it says so in the name

next time you know better.

steinrokkan posted:

this isn't the shockingly stupid opinions thread

william henry hairytaint wishes he could get people this defensive over a game he barely knows exists with a single phrase

v also true. in reality i have no opinion on disco elysium. it's not even on my radar, it's like if you asked someone in this thread how excited they are for a remake of pokemon explorers of sky

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 29, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think William Henry Hairytaint is a good poster who simply likes a prank once in a while. Very different from a true troll.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m gonna add to my list of good games to play. This one is a real pot stirrer: Wolcen.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

The White Dragon posted:

right the point of a roguelike is that your first run you get the Flaming Ultimate Weapon +8 off the first earthworm you encounter and then proceed to learn that you take 17hp fire damage per turn when you wield it because, well, it's on fire. it says so in the name

next time you know better.

Yes? The statement is exaggerated but that is the fun part of roguelikes. Experimenting with lots of effects, items and abilites to learn complicated systems and use them to win. Exploring to find the components itself. It is a large part of why Noita is so fun!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

nurmie posted:

Also, I'd like to see what you consider examples of good writing, in video games or other media

It's easy dude, just for starters you don't use asterisks like you've got an unlimited supply of them. I can't show you good writing in video games because there isn't any.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sure the published novelist and literary magazine editor who wrote Disco Elysium will be heartbroken to find out the OP consigned him to never be published in his life.

Let me guess, Halo novelizations? The "literary magazine" is about manga?

Like really do you guys have some weird disease where you can't understand that using asterisks, hyphens and ellipses all over the loving place is horrendous?

Have you ever read anything in your lives that doesn't have a line of Funko pops available?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Can you phrase your objection in a way that doesn’t make you sound like a tedious prick? tia

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

nurmie posted:

"Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim."

Think of that line, and the way it was delivered with all the other writing in the game (Diablo1 if you haven't played it), and think of how much punctuation was in those blocks of text. I've not played Disco Elysium but that quoted snippet was quite bad.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

"Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim."

Think of that line, and the way it was delivered with all the other writing in the game (Diablo1 if you haven't played it), and think of how much punctuation was in those blocks of text. I've not played Disco Elysium but that quoted snippet was quite bad.

Yup. I'm not even talking about the words he's using, it's the ridiculous overuse of punctuation. If you took out all the asterisks, hyphens, and ellipses it'd be fine. Still stupid rear end video game writing, but it wouldn't be making me melt down in this thread.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sometimes felt like DE was trying to imitate planescape torment's, especially when talking to Dak'kon with his *knowing*

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

It's easy dude, just for starters you don't use asterisks like you've got an unlimited supply of them. I can't show you good writing in video games because there isn't any.

I see. That doesn't quite answer my question though, does it? Besides, what you're talking about is more in the realm of editing, not writing. People praising Disco Elysium's writing probably look at much more than punctuation, don't you think?

Serephina posted:

I mean, I haven't played Diablo 1, so I can't really say anything about the impact of that particular quote within the narrative, but to me it sort of reads as your usual fantasy "we're super serious and solemn and monumental, bear witness to the might of our WRITING" thing that *a lot* (hehe) of fantasy/sci-fi tends to engage in, not always successfully.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I thought DE was a big lefty game about communism and that the game actively hurts you when you want to be a big fascist (it is still an option though, which is appreciated)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DE is a magnet for 'game' '''journalism''' hot takes, like being horrified that the protagonist is a lecherous creep when you've actively chosen all the options to be so, or shocked that you can't fix a drug addicted child with a single Empathy check and speech like it's some kind of church PSA

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Learning from your mistakes is also meta-progression, making normal roguelikes a grind too. :smug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Disco Pope posted:

It was and that lady is balls-to-the-wall stupid. I know guys who own Infinite Jest and have never read it. The only person I discuss the book with is a woman. There's nothing in the text that would make it especially appealing to sex criminals. I can see why dudes might own it just to own a huge book that can be hard to read but it's relatable for its depiction of depression, addiction and recovery. Really fail to see how it could get associated with toxic manliness or whatever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phigs posted:

See also Supergiant games and why I'm putting off Hades for at least another year. Can't trust the hype.

People have been singing praise for Hades for nearly 2 years now, how long does hype normally last? Not saying that you need to buy it right now I just am confused about what hype even is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kntfkr posted:

It was and that lady is balls-to-the-wall stupid. I know guys who own Infinite Jest and have never read it. The only person I discuss the book with is a woman. There's nothing in the text that would make it especially appealing to sex criminals. I can see why dudes might own it just to own a huge book that can be hard to read but it's relatable for its depiction of depression, addiction and recovery. Really fail to see how it could get associated with toxic manliness or whatever.

See that one tweet about how the national sport of twitter is making up a guy in your head, tricking yourself into thinking he exists, and getting real mad at him

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cubivore posted:

I thought DE was a big lefty game about communism and that the game actively hurts you when you want to be a big fascist (it is still an option though, which is appreciated)

There are four different political philosophies in the game: (and yes you can subscribe to all of them and your partner will notice and comment on it) communism, centrism, libertarianism l, and fascism.

Your character, being what he is, only ever exhibits a really surface level of understand of any of these so the narrative makes fun of you regardless of what you pick but the way it does is different for each one. Notably communism is the only philosophy the framing is sympathetic to in its aims but it’s also clearly the ideology that “failed” so it just ends up making you depressed.

It’s definitely the kind of leftist game that would specifically be made in an Eastern European country.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DE is a great game. The only way to find out why is to play it.
Hades is a great game. The only way to find out why is to play it.
Psychonauts was a great game. But now it might be better to just watch a LP of it so you can see how amazingly creative the level design is.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I miss multiplayer fps games with tons of servers running different mods. Using Gamespy to scroll through Quake 2 servers and the master server or whatever it was called for TRIBES and being able to jump into different poo poo was a ton of fun back in the day. And how each mod had like its own internet community in the late 90s was cool as hell, IRC channels and forums were the good poo poo.

I had more fun on like 28.8k modem in the late 90s than I've had in almost any other recent fps game, multiplayer wise at least.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Phigs posted:

A couple goons in the roguelike thread have mentioned they don't like the controls though. Literally only 2, but still that's 2 people during the hype phase. I'm not losing too much by just waiting and I'm not made of money so I might as well.

I've also read that some people prefer mouse and keyboard for playing Hades, the world is full of bewilderment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There are definitely some games best experienced knowing as little as possible given defying expectations is part of what people like about them.

Also especially for ones built around atmosphere and discovery which don't really have much replay value. Obra Dinn and Subnautica are among the games that make people wish they could wipe their memory so they can experience playing them for the first time again.